Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 17:37   #76
BHPian

Re: My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review

Thanks for the info @nandrive. I was not aware of that. Will check with Service Advisor during annual service. Will update here.

In the mean time, I did a Bangalore-->Auroville trip last week. Completed the journey in 6 hours time including a break at Murugan Idly. I was able to maintain good speeds throughout.

What I observed in this trip is that there is a relatively flat band of engine output around 2000 rpm, 6th gear, wherein the suv is doing around 90 kmph. From 2000 rpm to 2300 rpm, the response (as in acceleration) is slow. However once we cross 2300 rpm, the response picks up and the vehicle accelerates nicely again (I checked till 2700 rpm/120+ kmph).

Since I was speeding, the fuel efficiency took a hit. Got around 13 KM to a Litre.

Last edited by TSEA : 27th July 2022 at 17:41.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 10:35   #77
BHPian

The vehicle was dirty due to long drive and bangalore rains. Hence decided to wash and wax. Sequence followed was:

Turtle Wax Max Power Car Wash-->meguiar's ultimate polish-->Ecstar Wax --> Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine.

Here are some pics of outcome:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220731-10.23.46-am.jpeg

Reasonable Shine:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220731-10.23.47-am-1.jpeg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220731-10.23.46-am-1.jpeg

Glitter/Sparkles inherent to this paint color/type in Hector

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220731-10.23.47-am.jpeg

Parting shot:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220731-10.23.47-am-2.jpeg
TSEA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 12:27   #78
BHPian

For those like me who are not very happy with the absence of Physical Buttons for the AC, this post might be a little helpful.

Background: Hector/hector-plus does not have dedicated physical buttons for AC control. Instead we have to rely on the virtual buttons provided in the Infotainment System. The infotainment system takes some time to boot up and this essentially delays the process of turning the AC on. This is not much of a problem if you have switched off the car, while the AC was running (as the car will kick the ac on as soon as the engine tuns on).

However if one has switched the AC off, before turning off the car, then it does become little uncomfortable. We have to wait for the system to come up, fiddle with the small virtual button for AC settings etc.

Instead of this, one can use the physical button provided for the front defogger.

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220901-12.05.05-1.jpeg

This immediately kicks-in the ac and also boost up the AC Fan speed to a much higher level (Level 6 is what I observed).

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220901-12.05.06.jpeg

Since the defogger air also hits the face (after reflecting from the windscreen), it does help a lot. Turning it off, returns the car's ac to the last running setting.

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20220901-12.05.06-1.jpeg
TSEA is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 14:14   #79
BHPian

10,000 Kms Service Update:

The car has completed 1 year and I have clocked around 8,600 odd kms. Hence reached out to MG for scheduling service. Eventually got appointment for today (the service center had no availability for 3 consecutive days).

The pickup happened on time today at 09:00 (picked-up by Jubilant motor's employee) and the car was delivered before 10 a.m. at the service-center. Since then, there were no calls from a Service Advisor.

At 12:00 p.m., I called the service-center and was told that the SA is busy and will call back in some time.

Since I had not received any calls from the SA, I tried calling the service-center again at 02:00 p.m., but was unable to get a proper status.

I don't even know if work has started on the vehicle. Not good on MG's front.

Last edited by TSEA : 14th October 2022 at 14:16.
Old 15th October 2022, 15:29   #80
BHPian

Quick Update on the above:

I finally got a call from SA around 03:30 p.m., stating that they will start working on the vehicle and it will get delivered the next day. After some reasoning, I was promised to deliver the car the same day.

Eventually got it delivered around 7:20 p.m. The overall experience has left a bitter taste.
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 16:40   #81
BHPian

10,000 Kms Update:

The car is about to reach the 10,000 kms mark. Here is a summary of some points that might be useful for other thinking about this vehicle:

1. Interior quality is same as that of Day 1. Nothing has faded or given away

2. The steering feel is excellent, specially the way the steering returns back

3. Mileage in Bangalore city traffic hovers around 10 kms to a litre for shorter runs

4. Mileage for highway runs stays at 16-15 if one drives at 90. It drops to 14-13, if we go faster than that. Fuel efficiency can be improved further by using Cruise Control

5. There is Zero ratting sound (so far so food), though bangalore roads have not been kind

6. The screen needs improvement in response. It also needs better usage of screen space. For e.g.: In the Gaana app, the frequently used icons (play, pause, search etc.) should have been larger

7. Soft suspension is a blessing in Bangalore roads

8. Burgundy Red color is a pain to maintain. Would not advise it for folks who do not have covered parking

9. Due to the additional boost from the hybrid setup, acceleration at lower speeds is good for a vehicle of this size/weight
TSEA is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 20:43   #82

Re: Installing Qubo Pro Dashcam

Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies since it inconveniences readers, especially the mobile users. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Some time back, I had ordered Qubo Dashcam Pro. I decided to fix it in the car myself. Unfortunately, MG had discontinued providing the USB Slot in the IVRM, else the install would have been even simpler.
====
Overall it was a simple task to accomplish. Some amount of pre-planning was required to study the places along/around which the cable would be routed.

It wasn't clear from your post if you did a Hardwire connection so that Dashcam can work in Parking mode when engine is off. If you did, could you please share additional details about hardwiring?

Also any idea if hardwiring a 3rd party dash cam voids the 5-5-5 warranty on a brand new MG vehicle?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th March 2023 at 20:45.
Old 9th March 2023, 21:12   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarsund View Post
Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies since it inconveniences readers, especially the mobile users. Thanks.

It wasn't clear from your post if you did a Hardwire connection so that Dashcam can work in Parking mode when engine is off. If you did, could you please share additional details about hardwiring?

Also any idea if hardwiring a 3rd party dash cam voids the 5-5-5 warranty on a brand new MG vehicle?

Thanks in advance
Instead of hardwiring the kit, you can probably go for a USB charged battery backup (like the 70mai.one) which can power the dashcam when the car is powered down.

This one:

NEXDIGITRON Parking Monitoring Backup Kit with USB Interface, Compatible with 70mai DashCams, 2500mAH Capacity with Micro USB Output, Achieve Parking Monitoring without making any Fuse Box Connections https://amzn.eu/d/aV4MBrO

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th March 2023 at 21:13.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 21:14   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Instead of hardwiring the kit, you can probably go for a USB charged battery backup (like this.one) which can power the dashcam when the car is powered down. This works well with 70mai dashcams and is sold by the same company in India.

This one:
https://amzn.eu/d/aV4MBrO

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th March 2023 at 21:34.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 21:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
[b] It wasn't clear from your post if you did a Hardwire connection so that Dashcam can work in Parking mode when engine is off. If you did, could you please share additional details about hardwiring?

Thanks in advance
Nope Amar, I did not hardwire the Dashcam.
Old 22nd May 2023, 22:42   #86
BHPian

Has nobody noticed the reflection of the ambient lights on the dashboard irritatingly obtrusive on the ORVMs?
Its much worse in the nightime!
Have adjusted the ORVMs in all possible useful positions, doesnt work. And the ambient lights cannot be dimmed too, Just on or off, i Suppose
Attached Thumbnails
My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-20230522_224909.jpg  

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-20230521_204037.jpg  

Last edited by drasitkhanna : 22nd May 2023 at 22:50.
drasitkhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 16:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Has nobody noticed the reflection of the ambient lights on the dashboard irritatingly obtrusive on the ORVMs?
Its much worse in the nightime!
Have adjusted the ORVMs in all possible useful positions, doesnt work. And the ambient lights cannot be dimmed too, Just on or off, i Suppose
Hi @Drasitkhanna: Since mine is pre 2023 model, I don't have this type of setup. It seems that the reflection are on the galls of the door windows (and not on the OVRM), and thereby no amount of OVRM adjustment will get rid of them. Ambient lights can be turned off from the Vehicle Setting menu
Old 3rd September 2023, 16:15   #88
BHPian

Sunroof protection
============

HI TSEA, all,

In March, the sunroof of my Hector Plus was completely shattered and I couldn't really fathom why (attaching a pic). Thankfully insurance covered it and I was able to get it replaced.

The service advisor mentioned a few possible causes- including a pebble (from a truck etc) hitting the roof while the car is moving at speed. It does not shatter the glass immediately but can do it later on.

I realized the sunroof are a compromise to the structural integrity of the car. Anyway, now that I have it, I started looking forward to ways to protect it (and the passengers inside)

I am now thinking if applying PPF only to the glasspane would be beneficial and could protect it? Or would it cause too much of distortions, rendering the sunroof much less usable?

Advice and POVs welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-sunroof.jpg  

RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 14:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
Sunroof protection
============

HI TSEA, all,

In March, the sunroof of my Hector Plus was completely shattered and I couldn't really fathom why (attaching a pic). Thankfully insurance covered it and I was able to get it replaced....

Advice and POVs welcome!
That is strange. Never saw something like that before, but guess it does happen.

Do you know if this vehicle comes with a sunroof protection film. Please do check with your SA who got the replacement job done.

Here is a small video of an offering from 3M:

I am not sure if the above will work. Please do let us know what you eventually decided to do, will be very helpful
Old 12th February 2024, 18:28   #90
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
10,000 Kms Update:

5. There is Zero ratting sound (so far so food), though bangalore roads have not been kind

How about creaking and squeaking sounds from the plastics in and around the dashboard?

Mine is only a little over 2 months and 2500KM old, and has been squeaking and creaking through dashboard plastics since about a few weeks and a few hundred kilometers in its life. NO rattles though. A bit disappointed on this count with the car which I realy love otherwise for most things. Wuerth silicone spray has helped a bit, but inside plastics are creaky and squeaky, and I am not sure how to get rid of these. The service center people say it's normal, which I can also see given the kind of plastics put in there.
GST is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks