Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:18   #16
BHPian

re: Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
He is a VW fanboy...he says "VW is better than Skoda". I just gave up convincing.
Oh yes, there were a few of the same among my well-wishers who really pushed for Taigun, since it is a VW. I suppose brands grow on you, don't they? Heck, if Fiat were still around and they'd launched a compact SUV - I'd probably have considered that. Their engines are something else...

As long we're happy with our choices, it's all good. Glad you liked the review and wishing you safe drives!
rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
...did you get a chance to compare the 1.0 vs 1.5. How big of a difference was it? And what convinced you to go with 1.0 and not stretch the budget for the 1.5? I ride an Amaze diesel, love the torque, so I'm just unsure if the 1.0 would feel like a downgrade overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
...and Kushaq is on the short list. I own a 11 year old Honda City and feel its time to flip it...I am convinced that for a sedate driver like me and mainly for the city use, the 1.0 would suffice (though I itch towards the 1.5 for obvious reasons).
I had test driven the 1.5L & the 1.0L on the same day, back to back. And later, I did it all over again (should've mentioned this point in my review - my bad). Had the same dilemma as queried: Which one to go for? Should I increase my budget or not?

I'll share my personal opinion on the deciding factors in a simple manner:

- Got the budget? Go for the 1.5L - Period. Don't bother about how you'll use it. Just get it and smile harder than I'm smiling now when I drive the 1.0L

- Don't want to spend the extra bucks? Mostly sedate driving? City or otherwise? Full house in tow? Have no fears - the 1.0L is plenty capable.

It really is that simple.

And yes, the entire topic is very subjective as rightly mentioned. I have, in many ways, calmed down from my earlier break-the-sound-barrier days. So it was about putting down only the correct amount of investment as I'd make use of.

I hope this helps. Thank you both for appreciating my review and really glad to know it's helped in some manner or the other.

Last edited by rideon74 : 3rd December 2021 at 16:39.
rideon74 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:47   #18
BHPian

Even after reading and watching so many kushaq reviews I enjoyed reading your review, very well written and very good set of pictures. The car is a looker and the engine is fantastic. Even I prefer the Kushaq over Taigun but the alloys on the 1.0 top line look better to me and the Taigun has the option of 7 years of warranty, which is an added bonus.
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Given the common perception about turbo petrols, fuel efficiency figures delivered by TSI engines are definitely matching the diesel ones.
Thanks for reading! I had relied on your ownership thread during my deliberation period

Quite right about the new gen TSi engines - they're pretty much becoming all rounders. In fact, the minor difference in efficiency figures between the 1.5L & the 1.0L in MT variants itself is a statement to this fact.

Happy motoring to you & safe drives!
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Even I prefer the Kushaq over Taigun but the alloys on the 1.0 top line look better to me and the Taigun has the option of 7 years of warranty, which is an added bonus.
I liked the Topline alloys a lot. They are way more elegant than the overtly designed set on the GT variants. Aesthetic preferences are, of course, a very personal matter.

I'm quite puzzled about the 7 years warranty you'd mentioned for the Taigun. I had done a fairly detailed study between the Taigun & the Kushaq and they both offer a 4+2 package on warranty (pricing was slightly varied).

Did a cross check on the VW website:

Name:  VW1.png
Views: 1213
Size:  26.4 KB

And made a call to the VW sales guy now (who I was in contact with back then) and he too confirmed that it's a 4+2 year package.

Do check if the things are different from what I've mentioned. Thanks for the taking the time out to read though my review. Cheers!
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:01   #21
BHPian

Wow what an Amazing review. The Pictures itself are droolworthy and of top notch quality. I Personally prefer the looks of Kushaq over Taigun. It also have some 'simpy clever' things than its cousin. Seems like you touched my hometown (Kayamkulam) during your trip. Wishing you miles of Joy with this Beauty. Do update this thread frequently with these kind of pics too
DevSunit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 21:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
Seems like you touched my hometown (Kayamkulam) during your trip... Do update this thread frequently with these kind of pics too
So there's a chance of a meet up on my next visit there - which will be quite soon...And I surely will update this thread more pics - it's very hard to keep from doing so! Thanks for the compliments on my review and the pics!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 23:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
I had test driven the 1.5L & the 1.0L on the same day, back to back. And later, I did it all over again (should've mentioned this point in my review - my bad). Had the same dilemma as queried: Which one to go for? Should I increase my budget or not?

I'll share my personal opinion on the deciding factors in a simple manner:

- Got the budget? Go for the 1.5L - Period. Don't bother about how you'll use it. Just get it and smile harder than I'm smiling now when I drive the 1.0L

- Don't want to spend the extra bucks? Mostly sedate driving? City or otherwise? Full house in tow? Have no fears - the 1.0L is plenty capable.

It really is that simple.

And yes, the entire topic is very subjective as rightly mentioned. I have, in many ways, calmed down from my earlier break-the-sound-barrier days. So it was about putting down only the correct amount of investment as I'd make use of.

I hope this helps. Thank you both for appreciating my review and really glad to know it's helped in some manner or the other.

Congratulations, wish you a lot of happy miles in your new car.

While i have not driven 1.5L, I always feel spending extra on engine option is good (if it fits budget), it's true even for other cars, I used to always recommend that when anyone used to ask about Creta 1.4 Vs 1.6 :-)
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 16:19   #24
BHPian

The phantom car haunting MySkoda Connect app

After taking delivery of my Kushaq on Nov 17th, I explored the 'MySkoda Connect' app quite excitedly on the same night. But to my surprise, a Taigun from the future had already taken the first place.

The unwelcome guest has caused my new car to be allotted a 'TEMP' status. I shrugged it off initially, thinking that this phantom car will scoot after I'd entered my new car's VIN and other required details to complete the login process.

But no, it refuses to do so and still is very much haunting the app. Moreover, this Taigun is from the future! It has it's year of manufacture shown as 2022! The dongle though is connected only to my car's VIN and for the ghost within, only a 'dongle needs to be provisioned' message is shown.

Decided to let it go for a few days incase any after sales related updates to Skoda from the dealers might result in data changes on the app. No suck luck though.

After a few days, I contacted the dealer and they asked to me send a mail to Jio support and also shared a toll free number for me to directly contact Jio support. The mail was sent on Nov 26th to Jio support explaining my curious predicament with a detailed screenshot collage attached:

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-myskoda-connectjio.jpg

There has been no reply from then till date (no surprises there...) and calls to the Jio support eventually go dead.

The dealer - SGA Cars - is quite known for their service support. The nice lady in charge of this dept. has taken it up with the CRM and they'll be following up directly with Jio support about this.

Till then, my baby Skoda is sharing space in the connect app with a time travelling phantom Taigun. Hopefully an exorcism will be done soon.

Last edited by rideon74 : 4th December 2021 at 16:28. Reason: Typos
Old 4th December 2021, 19:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great show Sanjeev, I gotta say, you'd give TBHP lads a good run for their mettle when it comes to shade photography. Splendid and sharp images, and heartiest congratulations on your new acquisition. A soul searching that ended well. Pronto at Ooty, soon.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Great show Sanjeev, I gotta say, you'd give TBHP lads a good run for their mettle when it comes to shade photography. Splendid and sharp images, and heartiest congratulations on your new acquisition. A soul searching that ended well. Pronto at Ooty, soon.

Cheers!
VJ
Ha ha! Thanks much for the compliments on the pics, VJ - I do what I can a Pixel 4a these days. The DSLR days are long gone. And yes, a drive up to the Queen of the hills for a warm cuppa and a chat is surely due
Old 4th December 2021, 21:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
...I always feel spending extra on engine option is good (if it fits budget), it's true even for other cars...
Completely agree with your statement. If I could have done it all over again, I'd surely have ignored the mind and let my the heart go ahead with 1.5L. But to be fair to the 1.0L, it certainly doesn't disappoint for thrills during daily use and the occasional adrenaline rush that we need. I'd say it's a very good deal for moolah. Thanks for taking the time out to read the review!
Old 7th December 2021, 17:25   #28
BHPian

Hearty congratulations and wishes for fun-thrilling-happy miles!!

A fabulous review, I could not stop myself from going right till the end (even though it meant stealing time during office hours). Your very first line had me glued.

I currently drive a 2013 Honda City iVtech and was thinking for getting something in the compact SUV segment comfortable for 5 people with a similar budget as yours. The itch and dreams of the next ride have suddenly started gearing up inside me for the last couple of days. And so I had started doing some online searches for options, and today came across your review. I shall for sure follow your thread from here on.

While I was looking at Kushaq, I had two very basic queries. I was hoping if you can help me here.

1. How is the comfort of the 3rd passenger at the back with the hump in the middle? Is it very pronounced.
2. This is regarding the hand brake. The position is odd with it being on the passenger side. Do you have any issues with using it or risky with being near to the passenger seat?
abhaumik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
A fabulous review, I could not stop myself from going right till the end (even though it meant stealing time during office hours). Your very first line had me glued.

I currently drive a 2013 Honda City iVtech and was thinking for getting something in the compact SUV segment comfortable for 5 people with a similar budget as yours.

While I was looking at Kushaq, I had two very basic queries. I was hoping if you can help me here.

1. How is the comfort of the 3rd passenger at the back with the hump in the middle? Is it very pronounced.
2. This is regarding the hand brake. The position is odd with it being on the passenger side. Do you have any issues with using it or risky with being near to the passenger seat?
Thank you very much for taking the time out for reading my review. I hoped to give as much unbiased opinions on the Kushaq as I could.

To answer your queries:

1. Compared to a sedan like the Honda City, the Kushaq (or it's twin, the Taigun) does not offer enough space at the back for 3 adults. This video review covers this particular point in good detail:

Besides the 'bump' in the middle of the rear seat, the overall width is slightly insufficient. So please do check if a proper 5 seater is a must for frequent use . For me it wasn't, so this wasn't a sore point.

2. I never thought of the hand brake position till you mentioned it. I mean, the location just isn't a bother at all. In fact, it feels very much comfortable where it's at. While driving, the extendable centre arm rest and the gear shift are the only two elements which you'll be focused on. The hand brake's presence is forgotten.

Hope this helps and happy hunting! I hope you find the right car that best fits your needs soon
Old 7th December 2021, 23:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
1. Compared to a sedan like the Honda City, the Kushaq (or it's twin, the Taigun) does not offer enough space at the back for 3 adults.
With the City the back side space was so comfortable that I have to be careful on that front. Primarily it will be with my Mom & Dad, sharing space with my 7+ son. He being growing up and many a times asking for the window seat I want to be careful with space as well as that hump.

Quote:
2. I never thought of the hand brake position till you mentioned it. I mean, the location just isn't a bother at all. In fact, it feels very much comfortable where it's at. While driving, the extendable centre arm rest and the gear shift are the only two elements which you'll be focused on. The hand brake's presence is forgotten.
Well I never saw the handbrake away from the driver seat (in my limited exposure to four wheelers), and felt like I have to have extend my arm on an angle to access it and pull in up/down. Just wanted to see if you felt any oddity or not.

Quote:
Hope this helps and happy hunting! I hope you find the right car that best fits your needs soon
Thank you so much. I'm currently loving the confusion . I would like to have the change before the 10th year where I'm due to pay the road tax again. Dumb me that I did not take the life time tax (actually I never expected that I would be this comfortable with the car and drive this long)
abhaumik is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks