Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 19:14   #166
BHPian

Re: Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
1. Congratulations on acquiring pure adventure.
5. As of now, I have 3 questions:
a. What are the dimensions of the cabin behind the front row seats? (the idea is to set up a folding bed after removing the rear 2 seats just like the set up I have in my Pajero. I will need at least 5'9" of length)
b. What weight can the rain gutter support with a 4-clamp roof rack covering the whole of the roof?
c. Is there a recovery point possible to be clamped to the front?
Thank you for your good wishes. Regarding the size, I feel the 3 door Gurkha may not suit your needs as you are replacing a full sized 5 door Pajero.
You will not be able to lie comfortably in it after removing the rear seats as you mentioned.
If possible do wait for the 5 door Gurkha which will have a longer wheelbase than the current 3 door version that i own. That will be more suitable to your needs dimensionally.

In the 3 door version that I drive the total length is about 54 inches from the back of front seats to rear door sill as you can see
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211229_175920.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211229_175917.jpg

The floor behind the front seats has a slight step to accomodate the rear passengers feet. This further reduces the flat floor space to about 44 inches from the edge of the step to the rear door sill.
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211229_175853.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211229_175845.jpg

To answer your next question I have been reliably informed that the stock rooftop carrier with brackets weighs 34 kgs.
The rain gutters it is attached to can take 100 kgs of weight. Thus the luggage carrying capacity (by subtracting the weight of the roof carrier) comes to 66 kgs total.
To be on the safe side 60 kgs is the maximum weight that one should load onto the roof carrier in my opinion.

In my personal experience this too should be further reduced to maximum 35 kgs weight on the roof carrier if going offroad where the vehicle may encounter extreme articulation, pitch and roll.

Your last question was about recovery points. With the current bumper there is no place for recovery points to be installed. Just a basic tow hook which is highly unsuitable and unsafe for recovery. One would require to change the entire bumper to an offroad metal bumper that is attached to the chassis in which recovery points can be integrated and if one so desires even a winch cradle to install a winch. There are many fabricators doing this kind of work. The legality of these is questionable though. These fabricated metal bumpers will not be airbag compatible either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenez View Post
Hi Manuuj,
I was wondering if you have encountered the following issue or know someone who has an easy work around.
Whenever I put the car int 4H, and drive for 5-7 mins..
I haven't faced this issue as i haven't had a chance to go offroad yet where i may use 4H or 4L for a considerable amount of time.
Sometimes 4H to 2H can be difficult. The tip provided by Force Motors in the Owners Manual addresses this very issue.

I quote " Sometimes shifting out from 4 WD High/Low to 2 WD may be difficult due to prolonged use. In that case drive a few meters in reverse for elimination of driveline winding torque and then try to come out of 4 WD High/Low"

If this doesn't seem to work do try what Kosfactor has helpfully suggested below. This should fix things.

Ideally in my experience one should be fully stopped and on as flat a surface as possible for the transfer case to shift smoothly between 4WD high, 4WD low and 2WD High. By "flat surface" i basically mean the vehicle should ideally not be in a twisted articulated condition when trying to shift between these modes. I would practice this in my Fortuner as well.
As i said the tip below by Kosfactor is a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Try this next time. Gearbox in neutral.
Press clutch pedal fully.
Handbrake on.
Now try cycling through 2H-4H-N-4L
Today I got my hands on the correct Allignment specifications for the 2021 Gurkha. I shall be taking mine to get Allignment done tommorow using these same specifications. I am reproducing them below for anybody who may require them.

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211229_180412.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 29th December 2021 at 19:27.
Manuuj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 20:03   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Another awesome review of the Gurkha by Prashant ji. Very good information shared about the 4X4 capabilities and correct usage of Differential Locks.

https://Youtu.be/NyrhBjx22jA
Hello, I’ve been following this and the review thread very earnestly.

Congratulations on the beauty and I’ve already taken two TD, one with my dad also. Hope to pick her up soon.

Some info I was able to receive from the service head here was:

-the vehicle must be stopped when shifting to 4H/L. And a max of 10 kmph.
-no shift on fly
-and speeds will be half of regular in 4H and much much lower in 4L.
-service costs will vary as oil change is 20K kms. But it’s an average of 8K PA. Service cost is 800 for the labour. For anything else, it’s about 500 per hour of work.
-the vehicle will be delivered after first service only and change of all fluids.
-there’s no adblue topup required. Serious kudos here to FM.
-DPF - all one needs to do is to “burn away” the accumulated soot in the exhaust which is a reason for the DPF issues. Mainly happens if the exhaust doesn’t get hot enough and the soot builds up.

So I forgot to ask about the towing but when I see this video, I have a feeling that this is the towing/recovery hook.
Not the service head but the showroom owner informed me that the hook can be used for recovery as well as it’s bolted to the chassis. I don’t know but when I saw, it was pretty solidly bolted to something which I assume is the chassis. Also he said that it can be “upgraded” to a recovery mount. I don’t know how it works but I’m inclined to believe when I see the setup as it’s bolted. The reason I’m asking is because in the video the tug of war was performed with that very hook!! Thoughts?

Bonus info - why are the vehicles driven from the factory ? :

Answers:
- service head - it’s due to volumes and it’s more economical that way.
- showroom owner - the vehicle is too huge to fit into a truck for transport.
AjayV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:14   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your good wishes.
1. Thanks for the detailed feedback, and thoroughly appreciate the preparatory effort.
2. Evidently, the SWB / 3-door Gurkha is not going to fulfil my requirement. As such, it would be apt to wait for the 5 door version.
3. Fully aware that it is impossible to replace a vehicle like the Pajero (especially the one I'm lucky to own) but ironically it is how it is!
4. I do have time till June 2023, and hope to lay my hands on a good enough replacement. Any suggestions that can match the Pajero GLX are welcome.
Old 30th December 2021, 00:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
So I forgot to ask about the towing but when I see this video, I have a feeling that this is the towing/recovery hook.
Not the service head but the showroom owner informed me that the hook can be used for recovery as well as it’s bolted to the chassis. I don’t know but when I saw, it was pretty solidly bolted to something which I assume is the chassis. Also he said that it can be “upgraded” to a recovery mount. I don’t know how it works but I’m inclined to believe when I see the setup as it’s bolted. The reason I’m asking is because in the video the tug of war was performed with that very hook!! Thoughts?
The tow hook can haul 1.5 tonnes as told by the FM Showroom guy, when I got the TD.

Also, the 5 Door is coming in March-April, Pictures will be sent to me in February he said.
ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 09:36   #170
BHPian

Took the delivery yesterday.

The first issues -

1. TPM is making a rattling noise on acceleration
2. Roof rack is too noisy
Attached Thumbnails
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-img20211230wa0001.jpg  

shan2129 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 13:11   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Took the delivery yesterday.

The first issues -

1. TPM is making a rattling noise on acceleration
2. Roof rack is too noisy
Congratulations on joining the Gurkha tribe!
Wish you miles and miles of smiles ahead.

Roof rack has a jerry can holder. The upper part of the jerry can holder with the locking mechanism may need adjustment. Faced this with Asterix too and it took 5 minutes of adjustment to fix.

I am assuming you mean the TPMS is making a rattling noise upon acceleration? This is something new. I don't quite understand the issue. Please call me. I have PM'd my number to you.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 22:28   #172
BHPian

Congratulations Manuuj!

Asterix looks fantabulous, I was glued to your thread. Especially the photos of Asterix almost instantly killed my love towards Thar. Kudos to your modification efforts!

Wishing you many Miles and smiles with Asterix.
RaviGowda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 23:46   #173
BHPian

Many thanks Manuuj for a detailed explanation and video about the role of hub lockers along with the differential lock. The video in which Prashant explains the usage of 4H, 4L and differential locks is also very instructive.
A question that I have is about the use of the clutch in relation to the above.
My understanding is that you can shift to 4H on the move while you need to come to a standstill to engage 4L. Further, there is no need to use the clutch to shift the 4WD lever
alone. Kindly correct me if I am wrong about this understanding.
I need to ask about certain observations made by moderators about the usage of punctuation marks and capitals in my posts. I am unable to reply to personal messages and seek some clarifications. I request one of the senior members to guide me on this.
Shekhar Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 12:29   #174
BHPian

Hello Manuuj,

I don't know why but I was reading your name as Manauj instead of Mannuj Pl pardon me for that.

Thanks for sharing and keeping the thread updated every time with your Gurkha experiences. The names have got my childhood memories of Asterix & Obelix with Dogmatix.

This thread is easily best review & guide for Gurkha aspirants along with current owners.

Most important point I notice is Force Motors officials involving in the situations. It is a good gesture and boost to buyers going ahead for the purchase decision.

Many people who are not at all into off roading are leaned towards this very special vehicle- thanks to this beutiful thread.

thanks for sharing. Have Miles and Miles of experinces with Asterix.

cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 13:35   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBalenoGuy View Post
The tow hook can haul 1.5 tonnes as told by the FM Showroom guy, when I got the TD.

Also, the 5 Door is coming in March-April, Pictures will be sent to me in February he said.
Well, in the video, the same 1.5 ton rated hook pulled a 2ton thar pulling in opposite direction. In the below video, the same is used for recovery. A 2.5 ton+ vehicle. Which is heavier due to the added luggage and driver. I’m inclined to believe that the hook is more capable than what we currently believe.

AjayV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 20:11   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I’ve been following this and the review thread very earnestly.

Congratulations on the .

-the vehicle must be stopped when shifting to 4H/L. And a max of 10 kmph.
-no shift on fly
-and speeds will be half of regular in 4H and much much lower in 4L.

So I forgot to ask about the towing but when..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
Congratulations Manuuj!Asterix looks fantabulous, I was glued to your
Wishing you many Miles and smiles with Asterix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Many thanks Manuuj for a detailed explanation and video about ..
A question that I have is about the use of the clutch in relation to the above.
My understanding is that you can shift to 4H on the move while you need to come to a standstill to engage 4L. Further, there is no need to use the clutch to shift the 4WD lever
alone. Kindly correct me if I am wrong about this understanding.
I need to ask about certain observations made by moderators about the usage of punctuation marks and capitals in my posts. I am unable to reply to personal messages and seek some clarifications. I request one of the senior members to guide me on this.
Hi brother, when shifting into 4H from 2H and vice versa it can be done on the fly at low speeds but one must always engage the clutch when doing so.

For going to 4L one must be at a standstill and one must always use the clutch. The same goes fornshifting back to 4H from 4L.

Teambhp gives a lot of importance to correct punctuations and grammar while making posts. Also formatting the paragraphs in such a way as to help in easy reading is also important.

One must avoid using single lines back to back as one long paragraph for a postbut break it up into easily readable paragraphs. At the same time one must not make long posts using single sentences spaced up as a paragraph per sentence. One must also avoid typing...like...this... ot using short form like "dis" for this and "dat" for that etc.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Hello Manuuj,

I don't know why but I was reading your name as Manauj instead of Mannuj .
This thread is easily best review & guide for Gurkha aspirants along with current owners.

Many people who are not at all into off roading are leaned towards this very special vehicle- thanks to this beutiful thread.
thanks for sharing. Have Miles and Miles of experinces with Asterix.
Quote:
Well, in the video, the same 1.5 ton rated hook pulled a 2ton thar pulling in opposite direction. In the below video, the same is used for recovery.
Thank you everyone for your wishes. I am really happy that everyone is enjoying the thread and regularly posting in it also.

As regards the tow hook and recovery hook question.
The one in the back is a Recovery hook for pulling out the Gurkha or any stranded vehicle and the screw type one in front bumper is purely for towing the Gurkha and never recovering any vehicle with the Gurkha from the front.

For everyone reading this Asterix has a special wish for you all below.
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211231_120119.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 16:10   #177
BHPian

Information pertinent to all Delhi NCR Gurkha Owners.

Chakra Wheels at Motinagar close to the Force Showroom TAPL has got the Allignment Details for the 2021 Force Gurkha. I had Asterix taken for Allignment and they did a good job.

The cost was Rs. 500 which is quite nominal in my opinion.
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-img20220101wa0006.jpeg

Goes without saying that this is not a paid promotion.
Manuuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:25   #178
BHPian

Its been one month today since the ownership review of the Force Gurkha went live on teambhp. That this review has garnered a whopping 2.25 lakh views in such a short space of time is testament to how popular the new Force Gurkha really is.

I really hope this can translate to actual sales also. The response has been very good according to Force Motors officials that i am in touch with. Most people are waiting for the 5 door version. This should be out sometime in 2022. Some are waiting for an Automatic transmission and i doubt an automatic will ever make production.

So lets take a short overview of the Gurkha in my first month of ownership.

• Massive Street presence. It turns heads everywhere it goes.Many people though are still unaware of what it is and inquire if its an indian or imported vehicle.

Superb suspension and on road manners. Soaks up bad roads.

Commanding veiw of the road and traffic from the seats.

Parts traffic and a breeze to drive in the city. The narrow dimensions (compared to my Endeavour) and great seating position and lack of any blind spots make it very easy to maneuver in traffic.

Fuel average has not crossed 9.5 in the city so far.

Steering does not make you tired and is quite precise. Especially after the Wheel Allignment was carried out.

Clutch is light and gearshifts are very smooth.

Gearing is very good. Both for Highway and City driving.

Needs some more sound deadening for the engine and transmission noise.

Music system isn't as bad as i initially thought. Playing around with Audio settings in the head unit has greatly improved the sound quality. I am yet to upgrade the speakers

Brakes work very well.

The after sales support from Force Motors and the dealers workshop has been very good. There was the issue with the oil leak from the gear box casing and they attended to it immediately. The issue has not resurfaced so far.

Rear door rattle is there over bad sections of road.

Rear Ladder is quite badly designed and i am yet to make a fix for it.

No rattles or squeaks from anywhere else like the dashboard or seats etc.

Headlights are good. I still feel that HID's work better than LED's. But these are quite good LED units.

Shifting action between 2H, 4H and 4L modes is quite good and positive. So far I have not faced any issue with shifting between modes.

My upgraded Radar Renegade "Rugged Terrain" tyres have superb grip on road and no extra road noise associated with "Mud Terrian" tyres. Plan to get these for my Endeavour too when the time comes to replace the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA that are currently doing service on it.

Interior twin cabin lights are very effective and illuminate the whole cabin well. The soft dimming feature when going off is very nice.

Follow me home function of headlights is very cool.

I love the fender mounted indicators.

Instrument cluster is well lit and easy to read.

I miss steering mounted audio controls.

Seats are very comfortable and supportive.

Starts with a half crank every morning.

I look forward to driving the Gurkha everyday and so far I am very happy with my impulsive decision on becoming a Gurkha owner!

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20220101_120615.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:52   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Its been one month today since the ownership review of the Force Gurkha went live on teambhp. That this review has garnered a whopping 2.25 lakh views in such a short space of time is testament to how popular the new Force Gurkha really is.

I really hope this can translate to actual sales also. The response has been very good according to Force Motors officials that i am in touch with. Most people are waiting for the 5 door version. This should be out sometime in 2022. Some are waiting for an Automatic transmission and i doubt an automatic will ever make production.

I look forward to driving the Gurkha everyday and so far I am very happy with my impulsive decision on becoming a Gurkha owner!
Finally here... a B I G load of wishes and congratulations to you Manuuj on Asterix!

I thoroughly enjoy reading every post and all the mind boggling details which you share, but had been so caught up with work that did not have the time to really sit back and enjoy!

I can add that an automatic is surely in the cards and will come out at around the same time as the 5-door.

Your journey is certainly very unique and is helping so many people out there who are still undecided on the Gurkha. May the Gurkha tribe increase!

Cheers to more adventures!
Trojan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:14   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Finally here... a B I G load of wishes and congratulations..

I can add that an automatic is surely in the cards and will come out at around the same time as the 5 door..Cheers to more adventures!
Thank you for your wishes Trojan. If the Automatic is launched it will prove to be a game changer for the Gurkha.

Saw a video of the 5 door being tested on the roads and took some screenshots to share here..here it is then!

The much awaited 5 door Gurkha in the flesh!

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-screenshot_20220103140439_facebook.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-screenshot_20220103140501_facebook.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-screenshot_20220103140552_facebook.jpg

It looks very good in my view.
Manuuj is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks