Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 13:49   #61
BHPian

Re: Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins

Instead of the diminutive 'Asterix', this beast is more of a 'Fulliautomatix' in size

Enjoy!
WindRide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations for the acquisition, pretty sure Asterix will reliably serve you for a very long time. The mammoth Endy looks like a Dwarf beside the Gurkha. All Asterix needs is a nice pair of Aux lights (Hella Rallye 3003) to compliment its purpose.
Old 6th December 2021, 18:26   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Nice, and thank you..

Quick question - How much have your wheels and tyres contributed to the height? I mean if it was the standard alloys and tyres, would it look not as tall in comparison to the other cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
1 inch lift, if I remember correctly from his exquisite and detailed review. Although it may look and feel miniscule when read like that, however, it's approx 25 mm increase which becomes significant when added to the OEM ground clearance. But lets wait to hear from Manuuj.
That is correct. The 245/75/16 profile tyres translate to a 1 inch increase in Diameter. I had thought this would translate to a 12.5 mm increase in overall ground clearance. But i was wrong. It was a full one inch increase.

From the base of the tyre to the base of the fender line when measured from the center of the tyre was 33 inches in a stock vehicle and 34 inches on Asterix with the large diameter tyres.

Alloys are the same 16" ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Hearty congratulations for the acquisition, pretty sure Asterix .. All Asterix needs is a nice pair of Aux lights (Hella Rallye 3003) to compliment its purpose.
Thank you so much for your kind words.
The Aux Lights would be Fine Magnet here in Delhi and Punjab. Besides the upgraded BI-LED Fog Lamps and the LED Headlights combined render it completely redundant.

Carried out a small modification today to tie in the steering wheel logo with the logo on the Alloy wheel.

Have designed and fabricated something along similar lines for the front grill also from where the prominent GURKHA in chrome will be removed and replaced by (Range Rover/Land Rover Style) G U R K H A lettering on the front of the bonnet and a circular 5 inch diameter Gurkha Khukri Logo for the center of the grill.

All that can only be done once the Grill has been painted same as the Green body color.

Here is what the steering wheel looked like in stock form

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211023_141644.jpg

Steering after leather wrapping and before Logo install.

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211204_163748.jpg

Measuring the size

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_130134.jpg

After Logo install

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_173927.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:33   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
After Logo install
Looks swell! Why not try a brushed aluminium ring around the logo to make it a bit more prominent? Will add some contrast and should gel with the ‘khukri’ colour.
Dry Ice is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looks swell! Why not try a brushed aluminium ring around the logo to make it a bit more prominent? Will add some contrast and should gel with the ‘khukri’ colour.
The 3D Logo for the center of the grill has that design. Its in 2 parts. First the lower part will get screwed into the center bar of the existing grill and then the "Khukri in Ring" part will go on top.

The "Khukri in Ring" part may or may not get painted the same color as the Alloys wheels along with the G U R K H A bonnet alphabets. Both are currently silver.

Will take a call on that later.

I measured the inside diameter of the LED headlamps of the Gurkha. These are 6 inches in diameter.
I believe the center Logo should be slightly smaller than the headlights to look visually appealing so decided that the lower disc (wrapped in faux carbon fibre) will be of 5 inches diameter.
This has a hole in the center, besides the 3M backing tape so it can be screwed on to the center bar of the existing grill, on which the GURKHA chrome badging currently is.

The upper "Khukri in Ring" is slightly smaller than the Carbon Fibre disc and will sit on top of the carbon fiber disc in the Center if the Grill once the current chrome GURKHA letters are removed.

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_130528.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211123_131446.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211123_152746.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211123_152803.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211123_131940.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_140529.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_141612.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211206_175904.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 6th December 2021 at 19:19.
Manuuj is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 00:48   #66
BHPian

Manuuj, I guess this is your Asterix, the green one:

RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 11:43   #67
BHPian

Killer looking suv.
Beautifully written experience.

You have single handedly done more for the revival and renewed interest in the Gurkha, than Force ever did
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 11:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Love your Gurkha @Manuuj! Wishing you lots of happy memories with the beast. I still wish that I could have stopped at Mandi on 26th evening and seen Asterix in flesh, but alas. Will look forward to your Manali trip now to make an acquaintance.

Your comparison photos with the G-Wagen, Thar and the Endeavour have also made it to a Cartoq article now: https://www.cartoq.com/force-gurkha-...-thar-g-wagen/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Manuuj, I guess this is your Asterix, the green one:
https://Youtu.be/GwL_PYeNFBA
Yes that is Asterix in the background, he even shows the Alloys and Tyres to compare with stock steel rim with wheel covers.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 7th December 2021 at 11:52.
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 11:52   #69
BHPian

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | DPF System.

Fellow members had inquired about the DPF system in the Gurkha. I am no expert on this by any means but whatever I gathered I am posting below. This is openly available in the Gurkha Owners Manual and there are no state secrets being leaked here.

One apparent advantage the Gurkha has over the Thar is that there is no need to use any ADBLUE. This negates the Adblue dosing issues plaguing some Thar's at high altitude.

Lets be clear. I am NOT trying to put down the Thar. Its a great looking, very capable and well engineered, Indian vehicle. Both the Thar and the Gurkha deserve respect as does the individual choice of the owners who spent their hardearned money on the vehicle of their choice.

Getting back to the point:

I was given a proper rundown of the system by Shri Tandon ji, Head of Service at Ram Hari Motors, Mandi prior to delivery.

The gist of this was:

* If the DPF light comes on then AND ONLY THEN should I press the button in the dashboard to activate regeneration.

* I must ensure that i am parked in a well ventilated area and not on grass or near a petrol pump as the DPF temperature will go upto 600°C during regeneration.

* After pressing the Regeneration button i should not touch the brakes, clutch or accelerator as this would cut off Regeneration prematurely.

* Vehicle RPM will increase for 20-30 mins and Regeneration will take place automatically. Once over the RPM would come back to normal idling levels.

* The other option if available is to drive the vehicle over 60 kmph for a few kilometers till the DPF light goes off

* If one presses the DPF button by mistake one must NEVER PANIC AND SWITCH OFF THE CAR. Doing so would harm the DPF and it is not covered under warranty.

I really wish the DPF Regeneration button had been better placed and away from the fog lamp button on the front console. A passenger or child may press it inadvertently in its current position. If a hinged cover could be provided for the button it would also be very effective in preventing inadvertent activation.

A switch to the Right side of the driver and away from other switches would be much better placement to prevent accidental activation.

You will see what I mean from the pics of the system below.

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211205_141915.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211205_142009.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211205_141803.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211205_141651.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211205_141725.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:24   #70
BHPian

Absolutely love this unit, excellent choice and congratulations!! I've had a brand new sumo Gold GX 2015 that I sold back in 2019 after 68,000 km. In a country starved for affordable body on frame vehicles, The Gurkha is a breath of fresh air indeed.
4Runner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:24   #71
BHPian

[Have designed and fabricated something along similar lines for the front grill also from where the prominent GURKHA in chrome will be removed and replaced by (Range Rover/Land Rover Style) G U R K H A lettering on the front of the bonnet and a circular 5 inch diameter Gurkha Khukri Logo for the center of the grill.

All that can only be done once the Grill has been painted same as the Green body color.

[/quote]

Just a suggestion, I think the grill would look more apt if designed more in a G-wagen style. Remove the Gurkha lettering and add the Khukri emblem exactly in the center of the grill. I really love the Gurkha. But I cannot afford one any time soon. Good to see such beautiful modifications on this wonderful vehicle. When I buy one (most probably pre-owned) I'm gonna bug you for advise. I mean, I have never seen anyone designing their own logos. You're awesome . Please keep updating this thread on all the adventures you have with your mate Asterix
Knighted06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 14:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

With the Big Daddy.. a G63

A Thar

Big Bro Endeavour at Home today
Man, I didn't know the Gurkha is so MASSIVE!

I would change the above lines like :

The Big daddy with a G63
The Big bro with an Endeavour

Your Gurkha looks awesome.
Asish_VK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Absolutely love this unit, excellent choice and congratulations!! The Gurkha is a breath of fresh air indeed.
The new Gurkha surely is a breath of fresh air. An analog hero in this digital world.
Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted06 View Post
Just a suggestion, I think the grill would look more apt if designed more in a G-wagen style. Remove the Gurkha lettering and add the Khukri emblem exactly in the center of the grill. ..
Yes that is exactly what i am doing as i wrote in my previous post. The chrome Gurkha lettering is being removed and the 5 inch diameter Logo installed in the center of the grill once its been painted.

Paint commences tommorow.

Cannot change the shape of the grill to a rectangular shape right now as that would mean changing the headlight housings also.

Thanks for your good wishes. Feel free to contact me for any questions you may have when the time comes for you to get your own Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Man, I didn't know the Gurkha is so MASSIVE!
Your Gurkha looks awesome.
Thank you for your kind words!

In other news.. Asterix had a much needed and very helpful mod done today. A Rear Camera was installed to help with reversing.

Cost 3000/-
Make: Blaupunkt
Model:BC DH06 with Dynamic lines that turn when the vehicle does.
Waterproof.
Installation time: One Hour.

A pretty sturdy phone holder was also installed. I expected it to jiggle about a bit when the car moves but its suprisingly stable.

This is the Reverse Camera.
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211207_140831.jpg

Wide angle lens and very clear view even at night. I can see the edge of my rear step and edge of the spare tyre which is a great help.
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-img20211207wa0003.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 13:51   #74
BHPian

Hi Manuuj.
Tasteful mods brother. It’s one thing to monsterize an off-roader in a mindless manner but it takes an entirely different mind to do the classy mods that you’re undertaking
. Cheers and keep updating us !

Would your mods be restricted to the aesthetics or would you fancy some engine remaps to juice out more ?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 14:19   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been following your posts on the Gurkha thread as well as FB and I must commend the passion with which you are approching this new journey with Asterix. Wishing you many many enjoyable expeditions and experiences with your indomitable gaul

Looking at the upgrades that you have executed and have planned, this thread will soon become the go to place for most gurkha owners. Looking forward to more of these aesthetically pleasing and tasteful upgrades on Asterix.

Question on the Bi LED fog lamps - is it a direct plug and play?Would help if you can share a pic of the connector and any videos of the lights in action.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks