Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 10:17   #106
BHPian

Re: Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins

Dear Manuuj,
I've read the whole thread word for word, non stop for past few hours, needless to say, floored by your passion for the gaul. I'm not planning to buy a Gurkha any time soon but definitely going to follow this thread frequently to enjoy your prose and adventures. The mods so far, especially the shoes and the grill are excellent upgrades to the character of the vehicle. Kindly continue writing as you have a wonderful style of translating what you feel at heart, to the paper/screen/logos.
If an individual's car were to be voted, yours will be my TBHP Car of the Year!

Looking forward to future updates and best wishes,
Regards
Ram

PS: 'Protactoring the ORVM logos bit' made me smile with boundless appreciation
ram1kv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:49   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Well, I have actually voted for the Gurkha in the ongoing poll! Manuuj is describing each and every details of his car wonderfully. And day by day my feelings for this car is getting stronger.

When the new Gurkha was introduced, frankly speaking I didn't like the look. The headlamp with tiny distributed DRL LEDs. However, as the time passed by and I was going through the specifications and mechanicals, structural details etc. I gradually started appreciating the Gurkha. Then came the wonderfully written buying experience and modifications done by Manuuj-ji. Everyday I am following this thread for updates and watching YouTube videos reviews, test drives, buying experience etc.

Not sure whether my knee condition will allow me to drive manual transmission cars any more, and when can I manage the extra budget to buy a second car in this uncertainty. But definitely I shall be following this thread, try to get my hands-on sometimes, at least for a test drive!
RijuC is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:43   #108

This is a great walkthrough and review and description of the Gurkha. I almost feel like the Gurkha can be my next car. You've managed to plant the Gurkha in our minds. Thank you so much for this write-up. Your car looks smokin hot.
FordGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:26   #109
BHPian

The 4x4 competition between the Thar & Gurkha is now definitely heating up. The new Gurkha though a slow starter to the race seems to be catching up (though still not there).
Enthusiasts like me sitting on the fence not able to decide which one to go for, will surely be finding it hard to decide based on such wonderfully written blogs (Manuuj, kudos for such a detailed one).
Happy Riding !
Cheers!
Krish
emmenhr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:11   #110
Senior - BHPian

I've never been into 4x4s, and unlikely to posess one in the future, but your passionate and very well expressed review/experience ignites immense interest in me. A bit like getting a tiny flavour of owning one. Thank you.

Your review was also a major influence in me voting for the Gurkha in the COTY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
When I see both side by side, I feel the stock actually looks better.
I think the stock design GURKHA visually connects the two prominent headlamps, and that works well. Now, the lamps feel disconnected.

Manuuj, pardon the critique above; it comes with Asterisk's best interest at heart I loved the mod in the steering, and agree with Dry Ice's idea here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looks swell! Why not try a brushed aluminium ring around the logo to make it a bit more prominent? Will add some contrast and should gel with the ‘khukri’ colour.
Maybe a very thin ring with only moderate shine, to contrast just enough to show out.

Could also consider visually replicating the dotted ring idea one sees on the headlamps; with dots of chrome/aluminum doing the needful.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 22:57   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post

When I see both side by side, I feel the stock actually looks better. The lettering on the hood is too Defender like and robs the Gurkha a bit of . But it's just one person's opinion, I can see why one would prefer the modified look as well.

I never liked the bold chrome Gurkha lettering and the unpainted grill. Thus the changes. The Defenderish lettering is on purpose and i am glad that the influence is coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-Shine View Post
Hello Manuuj, I think someone has covered your Asterix in the following YouTube video.

https://Youtu.be/A1Y11WMhZCA

I must say that Asterix is absolute looker. You have tastefully modified it. Wishing you many more years of troublefree ownership of this car.
Thank you for the video link and your lovely wishes! This is the 4th video I've seen of Asterix on YouTube. 3 were without my knowledge and one was made with my permission outside Retro Rraps when the Grill modification was being carried out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Dear Manuuj,
I've read the whole thread word for word, non stop for past few ...The mods so far, especially the shoes and the grill are excellent upgrades to the character of the vehicle. Kindly continue writing as you have a wonderful style of translating what you feel at heart, to the paper/screen/logos.

Looking forward to future updates and best wishes,
Regards
Ram

PS: 'Protactoring the ORVM logos bit' made me smile with boundless appreciation
Thank you so much. Your kind words and heartfelt wishes have made me smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Well, I have actually voted for the Gurkha in the ongoing poll! Manuuj is describing each and every details of his car wonderfully. And day by day my feelings for this car is getting stronger.
I hope you do take a test drive soon. An Automatic Gurkha will tick the right box for a lot of people. Unfortunately I do not see i happening anytime in the near future. Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy View Post
This is a great walkthrough and review and description of the Gurkha. I almost feel like the Gurkha can be my next car. You've managed to plant the Gurkha in our minds. Thank you so much for this write-up. Your car looks smokin hot.
Thank you so much i really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmenhr View Post
The 4x4 competition between the Thar & Gurkha is now definitely heating up. The new Gurkha though a slow starter to the race seems to be catching up (though still not there).
Enthusiasts like me sitting on the fence not able to decide which one to go for, will surely be finding it hard to decide based on such wonderfully written blogs (Manuuj, kudos for such a detailed one).
Happy Riding !
Cheers!
Krish
Two excellent vehicles with their own pros and cons. I obviously have my favorite and am thankful that a long cherished wish has been fulfilled finally. Force Motors has really made tremendous improvements and worked hard on making the Gurkha a worthwhile purchase. As they say in Urdu "Derr Aaye Durust Aaye."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I've never been into 4x4s, and unlikely to posess one in the future, but your passionate and very well expressed review/experience ignites immense interest in me. A bit like getting a tiny flavour of owning one. Thank you..
Thank you for your kind words and also your critique. Looks are such a subjective matter. As they say "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder"

The steering logo ring will surely be made up but maybe the design you suggested will be difficult to implement with the basic tools at my disposal.
Manuuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 23:11   #112
BHPian

I had voted for Gurkha to be TBHP car of the year and after reading your blog reaffirms my belief. Gurkha for me is superb in every aspect except for not having AT.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 00:40   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder"
Completely with you on this, Manuuj. Pardon my further indulgence - your passion encourages it and warm manner allows it. It might be worth considering:

a) The "G U R K H A" and the khukri logo being interchanged, or perhaps
b) If the "G U R K H A" is brought to the lower strip (where the khukri is now), the khukri could also be made into a pair (a mirror image) placed on the black strip around the number plate. That way it would also match the shape and direction on the ORVMs, and make the number plate a bit a part of the design. (personally I prefer b to a)

Do you see the interest that you've developed here, Manuuj?!! It makes people want/say things like it was their own Gurkha Kudos!
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:00   #114
BHPian

Just to give an idea of how much higher one feels from inside the Gurkha i am posting the pic below. One is truly head and shoulders above other vehicles.

That is my Instagram post for today as well with the caption:

"In a sea of ordinary, be a Gurkha."
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-screenshot_20211215225734_gallery.jpg

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-screenshot_20211215180725_instagram.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 15th December 2021 at 23:01.
Manuuj is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Gurkha
Asterix Looks sorted 😀
If Clothes Maketh a man, wheels maketh the car. Your efforts with the wheels is truly rewarding.

How is the wheel articulation and fender clearance with the higher sidewalls.?
vigneshkumar31 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:33   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manuuj, your tasteful mods and equally involving writing style has made me fall in love with your thread and Asterix. Big fan of the way you've been personalizing the beast.

Went through the entire thread in a single sitting and loved every bit of it. Looking forward to more updates.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 09:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Found another video on Asterix.

The reviewer says the tyres are Force issued.
@Manuuj- Hope the review of your vehicle was done with your knowledge/permission.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 16th December 2021 at 09:31.
Old 16th December 2021, 09:32   #118
BHPian

Dear Manuuj, i was a great fan of your Fortuner thread and used to follow it even before joining the forum. Tasteful mods on the Gurkha. Wishing you many happy miles with the new steed.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 11:20   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Gurkha for me is superb in every aspect except for not having AT.
Yes having an Automatic transmission would have bought more customers into the net for Force Motors. Maybe development costs were prohibitive. I for one am happy that they have launched this all new avatar in whatever way shape or form they could at a reasonable price of 13.59 lacs ex showroom.

I doubt this introductory price will remain for long. When I had bought my Fortuner Obelix in 2009 the price was 18.45 lacs ex-showroom for the Manual 4x4. That was the only variant on sale at the time. Prices soon jumped to above the 21 Lac mark and then continued to steadily rise and now ofcourse are at stratospheric levels.

Getting back to the Gurkha, the manual transmission is really very light to operate and the throws are quite precise and short. It reminds me of a Swift we used to own. One is never hunting for gears. I can use two fingers for upshift and downshift. The clutch is very light as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Completely with you on this, Do you see the interest that you've developed here, Manuuj?!! It makes people want/say things like it was their own Gurkha Kudos!
Thank you for your kind words! The Gurkha lettering on the bonnet has been applied with a very strong automotive grade 3M tape. Almost impossible to remove them NOT that i want to. I personally always liked the bonnet lettering on Land Rover vehicles.
To me the Gurkha is no less than any Defender 90 (except for the Solid Front Axles).

(Now the solid front axles are a great thing to have when offroad but on tarmac and uneven surfaced roads it can be quite uncomfortable so in a way I am very happy with the double wishbone IFS suspension that Asterix is equipped with.
It is at par with my Endeavours suspension and at times even more comfortable due to the 16 inch alloys and 75 profile tyres compared to the 18 inch alloys and 60 profile tyres of the Endeavour.)

So i wont be doing any furthur modifications to the front end except for maybe sometime in the future when I change the headlights surrounds and front grill completely to have more of a Mercedes G Wagen/Defender design language with a rectangular grill instead of the sloped design it currently has.

I am glad that the modifications on Asterix have got your creative juices flowing and do keep the ideas coming. Always appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Asterix Looks sorted 😀
If Clothes Maketh a man, wheels maketh the car. Your efforts with the wheels is truly rewarding.How is the wheel articulation and fender clearance with the higher sidewalls.?
The wheels and tyres have truly transformed the stance and look of Asterix.

There was slight rubbing at full lock with the inner fiber cladding of the driver side fender but not the co driver side. All i had to do was push the thin fiber cladding (of the driver side fender) inwards a bit and then fasten it using a zip tie. No problem after that. In my opinion 245/75/16 is the perfect size to use for the Gurkha. It adds to comfort as well as looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Dear Manuuj, your tasteful mods and equally involving writing style has made me fall in love with your thread and Asterix. Went through the entire thread in a single sitting and loved every bit of it. Looking forward to more updates.
Thank you for your kind words! The next update will probably be about sound-damping and for that i will need your expert guidance. I have been informed by reliable sources that you are the man to learn from in this aspect.

Please help this fellow Bhpian and fellow Leo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Found another video on Asterix.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=o5Dr8qe6iTg&t=141s
The reviewer says the tyres are Force issued.
@Manuuj- Hope the review of your vehicle was done with your knowledge/permission.
Hahahaha i cannot stop laughing at his commentary! Apparently the Khukri logo on the Alloys is also standard!
This was probably made when i was getting the steering wheel cover stitched up. I think I caught a glimpse of myself on the co driver seat. I had no idea someone was filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Dear Manuuj, i was a great fan of your Fortuner thread and used to follow it even before joining the forum. Tasteful mods on the Gurkha. Wishing you many happy miles with the new steed.
Thank you so much! Personal reasons have made me stay back in Delhi even though its been almost 3 weeks since Asterix came home. Else he would have atleast made it to some snow lined roads on the other side of Atal Tunnel by now.
Manuuj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 14:51   #120
BHPian

This thread is a joy to read All the mods are good and not overdone at any point. Wheels and alloys has taken the appearance of this beast to next level.
I can imagine the joy of looking at the traffic from Gurkha as I am enjoying the same in my Thar.
If I am getting another vehicle, it would be surely the Gurkha.
Yes, Force should bring in an AT with torque converter for this beast.

I may be nitpicking, but the color of sidesteps (aluminum?) looks bit odd. You may think of rock sliders to compliment the beast look!
MithunSathianat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks