Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 15:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review avi, looks like the fiat dealers are bending backwards to change their image. Hope it really notches up some sales this way
Old 29th May 2007, 16:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey Superavi. Nice review. But why no photographs?
Old 29th May 2007, 16:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Hey Superavi. Nice review. But why no photographs?
And greeksrik - sorry. BU Bhandari is close to work, let me see if i can smuggle a camera out there.

I didnt have a camera - dont have a cellphone camera. I asked my sis to accompany me for the ride (she's the one featured in the write up here)
You can all blame her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Great review avi, looks like the fiat dealers are bending backwards to change their image. Hope it really notches up some sales this way
You bet - a call from Tata Fiat the day the request was lodged on Fiat India, and timings adhered to were perfect! Compare that to GM - a request for a test drive of the new spark - just to compare it to the matiz, was never entertained. I have no idea what happened to that request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingummy
Is it just me, or is there a difference in the driving position between the 1.6 Stile, and the old 1.6 Sport. I got the feeling that the 1.6 Stile seating was a little lower, and affected driving visibility somewhat.
I didnt feel a change in the seating. But now that you mention it, it did feel somewhat comfy. I didnt find it lower than the Siena - which i drive extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv
Somehow I dont quite like the Stile 1.6. It is more sedate looking, older model had that aggro look. Especially didnt like the rear of new Stile!! Even the interiors are drab, at least for the sport version, the older red-black chequered fabric fit the bill just right. 2 tone interiors not to my liking either. And is it true that the 1.6 doesnt have rear spoiler!! and that it will only be available in black and red?

I thought that too. Amazing what a few drops of rain, and that superb formula red colour can do to perception. The Palio Stile looks superb in the formula red in slightly wet conditions! I had the same thoughts that you did initially. The new design somehow makes the palio look a little narrower than the earlier model, new wing mirror design and handles add to the look.

In the earlier review i thought i made everything out to be extremely rosy - but i maintain this - I still hate the interiors, lack of any storage space in comparison with the competition, and the dash - the dials are lousy looking.

But if i can somehow scrape the money together, I think I'm gonna buy it. In Formula Red (until I see the black colour anyways!)
Old 29th May 2007, 18:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
So you prefer a concocton like this I guess -

This one is sold in Argentina.This looks perfect to me as well,almost.Note the old style handle bars for opening the door.Prefer the new pull-out ones to these.
Yes Roms, you got it right!
The combo of Stile front and old Palio back will look stunning!
Old 29th May 2007, 19:11   #20
BHPian

I also didn't like the Stile, when I saw it initially on ad and magzine but when I saw it show room and test drove it, I completely felt in love with it. Planning to buy it soon, if I can sell my Indica
Old 29th May 2007, 20:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post

But if i can somehow scrape the money together, I think I'm gonna buy it. In Formula Red (until I see the black colour anyways!)
Start scraping the money buddy.This is what the black could look like -

Add the telephone dial stock alloys and you've got the Stile 1.6!I think it rocks.

Last edited by roms : 29th May 2007 at 20:24.
Old 29th May 2007, 23:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This is very true.. raised a feedback request on the Fiat website and Maruti website for 2 different things on a Saturday night. Got an email confirmation immediately from Maruti with a 16 digit alpha numeric code which I was supposed to remember and quote in all correspondence with MUL. Nothing from FIAT.

Monday morning. Reach office. Open email. A mail from Fiat answering my request. Asked something further got a reply immly. Next Saturday. Got a call from MUL and did not get a satisfactory reply. By that time had exchanged 6-7 mails with Fiat.. changed my perception of Fiat ... and also of MUL
Old 30th May 2007, 20:36   #23
BHPian

Driven- Stile 1.1 & 1.6!

So there were a few questions my head needed answers to. And the questions that had been bouncing on and off my peanut sized head since the past few weeks were:-

1) What would the Palio Stile 1.1 and 1.6 be like to drive, especially in comparison to the competition?
2) Will the 1.1 be terribly under powered?How would it drive with the a/c on ?How effective will the a/c be?
3) Will the 1.6 be slightly lacking in power after being detuned for Euro3 norms ?
4) What would the 1.6 Stile look like? Will I fall in love again?
5) Having seen a few reports on team-bhp on changes made to the gear shifter, brakes,seats and a few things here and there, I just needed to see the changes first hand.

So off we went, Me and my Fiat crazy head, to the nearest TATA-FIAT showroom-Shaman Auto,Prabhadevi.So my head got all the fundas right and its now in perfect sync with the rest of my body.These are the answers I've conjured up with answers w.r.t questions mentioned above-

1) & 2) First up, I got the 'magnesium grey' 1.1's keys in my hand.The first thing that struck was that the key feels as if been through the cost cutting regime.Nevertheless, started off with the a/c on fan speed 2.As perceived, the car was sluggish off the line.There was some clutch judder and I had to rev it up quite a bit to get it moving.Come second and the sluggishness continues.It seemed that the 2nd cog was quite long.But third is a different story.The car gets a bit enthusiastic in the 3rd and it was pretty driveable in ths gear.The torque spread is decent and the car does'nt complain even at low engine speeds.Infact, I loved the city driveability in 3rd.But then again, we were just the two of us in the car.And he a/c does not affect the performance as much as one would expect with an engine and car combination of this sort.4th and 5th are decent as well.Overall, the car is a bit confused.Its supposed to be a city car right? So it should be better in the lower gears.But its the other way round.Infact, I felt it had S10's gear box, with shorter ratios for 3rs and 4th.Just felt that way and I may be wrong there.And the brakes were good,not soft,not grabby,just right.The steering felt so light,especially after being used the 1.6's wheel,I felt I was piloting a smaller hatch.Good for the city.However, Fiat have removed the anti-roll stabilizing bar from the 1.1 and the result- noticeable roll even at low speeds.Not good.

Then there were some really bad bits- I thought the odo and speedo were disconnected, but they were'nt. Realised the speedo had gone bonkers and was working intermittently.Something similar to what happened to team-bhpian Prabuddha's Petra. Also, the fuel injection lamp was constantly on,indicating a problem somewhere.All this on a 700-odd kms done car! However, its a definite step up over the old NV series,in terms of performance,driveability and FE.Its not yet a lost cause.Its pretty decent for the price one needs to dish out.Yes, the smaller hatches in competition definitely win in the performance & FE stakes, but the 3rd gear is a saviour to some extent.

3)Over to the fun part now- THE PALIO 1.6 STILE -

I am so enthralled with the experience that I just cant control revealing the fact that this car rocks.Simply mind blowingly awesome.Fell in love all over again. I mean what were all those speculations on the engine being detuned? Forget all of that.Its crap.Its still the GTX that landed on the Indian shores in 2001.Forget about any power drop,this car is a hoot to drive.It still gives you a kick in the back every time you hit the pedal.And since this was a TD car, I had some good fun with a Swift and NHC at worli sea face .I also Test drove a Fusion 1.6 after this one.More on that later,but the Fusion is even faster, definitely.But the Palio is faster off the line, probably because its lighter.Coming to the weight, dont think the weight has been reduced as such, but the steering felt very light in comparison to my S10's.Overall, still the best hatch in my books under the 5 Lakh mark.And the folks at Shaman said the Euro 3 engine gives more mileage than earlier.Cant comment on that.

4) Hmm, I think you guys need a break. So do I.Here are the much awaited pics of the 1.6. But I just had my V3i with me, so here goes :-

Black never looked great on a Palio.Or so I thought. The black 1.6 was getting a lot of attention on th roads.And pictures from a phone cam dont do justice to this baby.

6) I'll make this short. The gear shifter is as good as ever on both the versions.Did not find any issues at all.The seats give very good back and lumbar support and were a snug fit.And they have gone back to the old seating position which was perfect,unlike the raised seats in the NV.Brakes have definitely improved on both versions.But whats even better, is that the clutch is so soft now.No more aches and pains for that left leg.Refinement levels were acceptable in both the versions.

So thats my story of the Palio Stile.The Ford Fusion I tested was mighty impresive as well.But thats for another thread.Its got everything goig for it, except the price tag - 6.75 L mumbai.
Old 30th May 2007, 20:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Are the S10's alloys in the options list? Or do we still have to make do with the Phone dial only, some like me, dont like it.
Old 30th May 2007, 20:58   #25
BHPian

Sorry.image shack server seems to be down.Will post pics later.
Old 31st May 2007, 01:04   #26
BHPian

A few pics of the Black Beauty from my phone cam-

There is something that I just remembered.The temperarure needle was hovering around the half way mark in the Palio Stile 1.6.I guess moralfibre had started a thread on this sometime back.Maybe they've made some changes to the euro3 engined Palio's fan.So Moralfibre,I dont think you need to worry about it anymore.

Last edited by roms : 31st May 2007 at 01:20.
Old 31st May 2007, 01:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Are the S10's alloys in the options list? Or do we still have to make do with the Phone dial only, some like me, dont like it.
Nope.Forget the S10's alloys, I asked him if the telephone alloys could be ordered for the lower spec 1.1 version.The reply was ' Not optional sir, because its not in stock.You will only get the alloys with the 1.6 '
Old 31st May 2007, 03:53   #28

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i really dont think the manufacturer has to detune the cars for euro3 emission tests.all they have to do is bring the catalyst closer to the exhaust manifold so that the cat con gets heated up earlier and works immediately after the engine has started.
Old 31st May 2007, 09:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Great review Roms and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 31st May 2007, 10:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

mind blowing pics of the black stile! your review has made me wait to lay my hands on a 1.6 stile good review roms. nice pics too.

Most Viewed