Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA

About a year back bought a preowned car through Spinny (not a sponsored post).

The very first delivery experience was mixed:
- Team came on time as requested to deliver (wanted it to be delivered at my place in a specific time window - Muhurat!)
- The car wiring had rat bites and all the lights weren't working
- The team was super prompt in taking the car back and solving the issues

The Car:
- Chevrolet Sail UVA, 2014, 20k KM, 1st owner
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-car-1.jpeg
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-car2.jpeg
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-car3.jpeg
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-car4.jpeg

Lazy me using the pics from Spinny, avoiding extra work of hiding registration plate Though the car is in 99% with the same look till today.

Why a preowned car?
- I am an ex-entrepreneur, run a travel startup and never felt a need of owning a car
- Moved to Bangalore after an exit from my startup and was mostly using cab services, scooty and carpool
- Somewhere there was also a plan to move abroad and a new car would have been a liability / loss-making decision given depreciation on a new car

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

- The Covid19 pandemic and the lockdown followed was punch on the face to most of us or on our plans at least
- long story short, with little uncertainty of cash flow, most international borders closed I was left with a very few options
- Also this was the time I got severe knee pain and had to take Dr. help, just to visit a Dr. 5km from my place my co-brother had to drive from another edge of Bangalore (30km one side) to pick me up and take to Dr. and then he would go back the same distance to his family

So, there was an immediate realization of the need for a car and a preowned, certified and budget car just seemed to fit the situation perfectly.

I went with Chevy Sail UVA for three reasons - A. It came at just 2.85L, Chevy still has a service centre in Bangalore and the car's seating is as spacious as Dzire, i20 etc

1st year my ownership experience

- The first-year experience has been 99% hassle-free, with no expenses other than the one spent on fuel
- There were minor issues like noise from the timing belt, fault in indicators and hard AC knobs - which the seller's team was able to solve for me ( the car came with one year warranty and all these issues were solved under that warranty including free pick up and drop)/
- We took some long drive with this car covering the coastal Karnataka in 7 days trip - Bangalore > Mangalore > Udupi > Shivasamundram > Shimoga > Bangalore

Happily relaxing in Udupi resort:
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-car-4-uduppi.jpeg

The warranty of the car got extended by 6 months from the seller platform on the ground almost no run during lockdowns, which was again a welcome and satisfactory move

IMO two major repairs after 1st year are:
1. Change of water pump - cost 4844 ( pump + coolant + labor )
2. Change of Tensioner and Bracket - Cost 3418 ( parts + labor)
2.1 Minor - Paid 250 for window motor wiring carbon removal
2.2 Upgraded lights to 90/10 from 55/60 - ~2200 for bulbs and relay + 250 labor

Few more pics of the car,
Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-screenshot-20211204-12.38.16-am.png

Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA-screenshot-20211204-12.42.37-am.png

By now you would have guessed this is my first owned car and I love it like a high-school sweetheart

Now the big Question

1. Am I happy with my decision to buy this car? - Absolutely 100% - in this budget, this kind of service, reliability, comfort and space - exceeds my expectations every day.
2. How long will I keep this car? - I shall keep it for one more year at least or as long as I'm not going out of the country for a long time.

While I was writing this article, realised I need to get double-check the accuracy of the fuel gauge given its erratic readings in recent days

Coastal Karnataka Trip deserves a dedicated post, would try soon share that.

Thank you!

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2021 at 08:54. Reason: Removing spaces after opening brackets. Please proof-read before submitting.
Arayan5614 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Preowned Car Experience - Chevy Sail UVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post
Change of water pump - cost 4844 ( pump + coolant + labor )
Did you get this done at the Chevy ASC using genuine parts? Or elsewhere?

Thanks for sharing your experience with Spinny and the Sail.
Old 4th December 2021, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great car at a great price not many folks understand what good value a used Chevrolet (one that's made in India) is. Sure the Cruze and Captiva might be tough to maintain but cars like the Spark, Beat and the UVA are comfy honest to god little no-nonsense hatchbacks with solid engineering that's gone behind making them reliable and robust, as well as cheap spares since they were produced here.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 19:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Did you get this done at the Chevy ASC using genuine parts? Or elsewhere?

Thanks for sharing your experience with Spinny and the Sail.
This was done by Spinny at their garage, genuine parts.

for tensioner replacement, I had to go to ASC because Spinny team couldn't source the parts.
Arayan5614 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 08:50   #5
BHPian

Having sold two cars to Spinny in the past, I can say that their evaluation methods are good. Every evaluation takes about 90 minutes and they check for every major component and record every irregularity they find.

Also, the margin they keep is around 40K to 50K, which includes fixing of minor issues, if any.

(Not related to Spinny in any way. Just sharing the experience)
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks