Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2007, 05:21   #16
BANNED

Yeah! Exactly That's the Reality.

And what about being better than the Fiesta and Aveo 1.6?
Old 4th July 2007, 08:21   #17
BHPian

Hi Asit,

Even I have not seen the towing hook on mine.

I am also 5'11" and yes you can't see the bumper but that is the case with my Indica also and believe the same thing was there with UVA. But when I sit straight I can see the front clearly. I am not facing any problm with this, I just keep it at distance upto where I can see the back of vehicle in front of me.

The 4th gear is definetly is not underpowered the key is to shift at the right time, normally I shift above 50 (2k RPM) for 4th and it just glides from there. Or may be now I have done more than 3.5K it is giving excellent response to me. So no issues here.

I have not test drive 1.6 Fiesta and Aveo so will not comment on the cabin noise of those but in Palio it is definetly negligible compared to Indica, Santro, WagonR, Zen Estillo.

These are my observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Hi humans,
I have been following your reports on the palio stile 1.1 and am very glad to know that your car is proving out to be a great value, almost on all fronts.
We are also on the lookout for a new car and palio stile 1.1 SLE is one of the cars we have shortlisted. Today I took a reasonably long test drive and liked its handling better than the Chevy Aveo UVA. I got a few observations and questions for you to kindly answer. Here they go:
1. I could not find a towing hook. Do you have one on your car? Is it okay for cars to come with no towing hook? The salesperson did not have an answer. He said he would check and let me know.
2. The driver's seating position is a bit low (I am 5 feet 11 inches) and I could not see the front end of the bonnet. Intially it bothered me a tiny bit, but later on while driving it did not seem to matter. Do you find this a problem?
3. Like my WagonR, I found the 4th gear a bit underpowered. A few times I came down to 3rd to overtake as I also do with my WagonR. Do you have anything to say on this?

I probably should put my detailed observations in a relevant thread (is this a relevant one?); today I happened to test drive first the palio stile 1.1, then the Chevy Spark and finally the Chevy Aveo U-VA. I found the steering, the brakes, the suspension and general precision and handling of Palio simply unparalleled. Then with a friend of mine who was TDing Aveo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 took rides in those much more expensive cars and found the ride quality in Palio both in the front and in the rear seats comparable, if not better, except for more cabin noise mostly coming from the engine which is not very quiet in Palio. Again, do you have a comment on the engine noise?

Is that magnesium gray on your car? I love it.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:00   #18
BHPian

Thanks

Hi humans,
Thanks for your answers. I completely agree with you that one needs to understand the power distribution of a car and accordingly shift to higher gears to extract the available power. I usually need a bit of time (a few hours to a few days, depending on the car and the driving conditions) to extract the best out of the car. In any case, I am not expecting a racing car performance from any car that I shall buy, it just needs to be adequately powered and I must look forward to the drive.
One question though. If you shift to 4th at 50 kmph, aren't you doing that at the expense of FE? I know you reported very very good FE, but wouldn't it be even better if you shifted to 4th, say at 40 kmph, at the expense of I suppose a bit of power. But then you do not need to extract the maximum power possible out of the car always.
Since you have the SLX, you have a tacho. 2K at 50 kmph sounds a bit too little. Is it true or was it a typo?
Please answer, we are considering the 1.1 seriously. Only doubt in our mind right now is the ACI report that Fiat will launch a 16 valve version of the 1.1 sometime in the near future although the Tata Guys are denying any knowledge of it. Then, who knows what future has in store, one can take only the best decision for the present.
Old 5th July 2007, 00:18   #19
BHPian

Hi Asit,

Frankly I am not an automobile expert, so doesn't know much about shifting speed for better FE. I just drive with the instinct or feel when engine require a change. I believe someone with better understanding can really bring out the best of this car.

2k at 50 Kmph, Yes it was typo actually it was 2.4k at 50 Kmph. And honestly I don't read any of the auto magazines, so no idea what they are talking about. For anything and everything I go by my instinct and not by reviews of magazines, or newspapers, or television, that is my way of dealing with my life . Cheers.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:42   #20
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Thought this would be the right place for my query. I want to buy a car for my Mom to drive, I'm impressed with the Palio's build, space and road manners. However, with performance and fuel efficiency both taking a hit (compared to other cars in this price point) I'm also considering the Spark.
My priorities are safety, ease of driving, space - in decreasing order, i.e. safety is most important. Which car comes recommended? Or should I stretch my budget and go for a swift : the car with the most modern chassis (and hence the safest?)

Thanks,
Sreenath.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:20   #21
BHPian

Safety: You can't beat Palio in this section compared to others in its category.

Ease of driving: Although subjective with different driving styles, but I like driving Palio than my Indica, friends Zen and WagonR.

Space: Much much better compared to Spark and maximum in its category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hello everyone,

Thought this would be the right place for my query. I want to buy a car for my Mom to drive, I'm impressed with the Palio's build, space and road manners. However, with performance and fuel efficiency both taking a hit (compared to other cars in this price point) I'm also considering the Spark.
My priorities are safety, ease of driving, space - in decreasing order, i.e. safety is most important. Which car comes recommended? Or should I stretch my budget and go for a swift : the car with the most modern chassis (and hence the safest?)

Thanks,
Sreenath.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Hi humans,
2. The driver's seating position is a bit low (I am 5 feet 11 inches) and I could not see the front end of the bonnet. Intially it bothered me a tiny bit, but later on while driving it did not seem to matter. Do you find this a problem?
3. Like my WagonR, I found the 4th gear a bit underpowered. A few times I came down to 3rd to overtake as I also do with my WagonR. Do you have anything to say on this?

I found the steering, the brakes, the suspension and general precision and handling of Palio simply unparalleled.
asit,

since most small cars and increasingly the bigger ones too these days, have miniature bonnets, it is rare to find a car in which you see the bonnet. i think that's part of motor car evolution.

the palio 1.1 delivers all that palios are expected to deliver PLUS decent mileage MINUS decent power. overtaking demands a little more than what the 1.1 has to offer. downshifting becomes inevitable, as does planning and patience.
Old 6th July 2007, 16:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hello everyone,

However, with performance and fuel efficiency both taking a hit (compared to other cars in this price point)
Thanks,
Sreenath.
I have never got below 13kms per ltr with 25-30% AC in Bangalore traffic. Not many cars in its segment can beat that. The ride quality is much more refined than other cars in its segment.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Palio Stile is a very good car. Superb handling, superior build quality but i think it is underpowered for highway use.
Every one must be waiting for Palio with 1.3 Multijet Diesel Engine.
1.3 Multijet will make Palio Stile a complete car.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Palio Stile is a very good car. Superb handling, superior build quality but i think it is underpowered for highway use.
Just hope Suzuki/GM wont run away with all the sales by the time FIAT comes in with the same engine!
Old 6th July 2007, 21:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

somehow these days i feel the palio's build quality is a bit down from the retro. the diesel with 1.3 should more than compensate for it though... and obviously the boot space will be more than swift and handling will be more or less the same.

whenever i sit in my swift, i feel i sat in the retro palio. its the same cocooning effect i observe. common fiat, do it fast!!
Old 7th July 2007, 18:30   #27
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Palio stile 1.1. But if the 1.3 Mulitjet is going to launched in next 6 months, i would like to wait for it. Does any member has an deifnite idea about when 1.3 multijet is going to be launched?
Old 7th July 2007, 22:31   #28
BHPian

1.3 Multijet in Palio wont be launched since Tata wont approve on that bcoz it will lose the diesel indica market.

I am pretty sure some guys here has better knowledge how to run Fiat-India then the ones running now since Fiat is going to destruct itself very soon maybe in a year or so there wont be any company by name Fiat-india. all the current fiat dealers and service centers are being converted to Marutis n hondas and what not but DEFINITELY NOT to FIAT!!!
Old 8th July 2007, 01:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
As far as I know, the 1.3 diesel (either the 75 bhp version used in the Swift Diesel or the 90 bhp version) will be used in the upcoming Fiat Linea - Fiat's C segment competitor. The Stile is unlikely to recieve a diesel upgrade, unless there is confirmed data to the contrary.
Old 8th July 2007, 01:41   #30
BANNED

Fiat Palio stile 1.1 should make a good car. Especially for those who care more about the destination than the journey itself.

I don't like Fiat cars for that reason. I'm the opposite type. I like to travel a lot and the reason for it is that I enjoy my drives.

If you just want a car which takes you from point A to B, then consider the above. Service woes maybe an added feature in these ones though.

Sorry, was I rude?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks