Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 13:49   #31
BHPian

Unnecessary and uncalled for abuse is to be dealt with strongly, and that's what I intend to do in this post. People should have the minimum modesty and courtesy not to pick from somebody's post without context and write baseless stuff.

I never wrote that the Palio Stile 1.1 was better than Aveo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6. What I wrote was :

"...with a friend of mine who was TDing Aveo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 took rides in those much more expensive cars and found the ride quality in Palio both in the front and in the rear seats comparable, if not better, except for more cabin noise mostly coming from the engine which is not very quiet in Palio".

After that, part of that statement was picked and and was made fun of.

By the way, it's not just my personal feeling. Even the ACI (page 71, June 2007) writes: " On the highway, the car's (palio stile 1.1) high speed stability is up there with cars twice its price."

Personally, I also think that the general notion about stile's apparent lack of power is grossly untrue. It's true that I enquired with humans about the power in the 4th gear a few days ago, in the same line I also wrote that it was the same with my WagonR. The fact of the matter is that at this price range ALL cars are "underpowered", although I would not like to use the word "underpowered". Even the Spark and the Santro are underpowered in some range, no matter what others may want you to believe. If one knows how and when to gearshift, one can drive them without worries and can even enjoy the drive. The same is true with the Palio 1.1. The other day I drove around one in city and semi-highway conditions (in Kolkata traffic!)for more than half an hour and I truly enjoyed it, if my opinion counts anything.

I think a lot of people are put off simply by the number 57bhp on the stile 1.1. If numbers meant everything, then a car could do with 8 numbers of 1.6 volt pencil batteries. I am a physicist and I know numbers CAN mean everything provided ALL numbers are there. To all people who have not driven the 1.1 and know how to drive a car, please TD the car and make an opinion by yourself, rather than listening to me or somebody else. However, I am entitled to give my opinion with no intension of ridiculing other people.

A.S.S is a big issue with FIAT, rather it was a big issue. I am still not convinced about the new situation after the joint venture with the Tatas started. If I was, I would have bought it by now. Even if the A.S.S turns out to be okay, if there are not enough stiles sold, would the service centres carry all the spares etc? These I think ARE the relevant questions.

We tend to overlook a lot of things in India. One can easily go to mouthshut.com and look for Santro Xing and one would be troubled by numerous horror stories on the Hyundai service. The friend (now a member of team bhp as a newbie, username: abirnaha) I referred to who went for the test drives of Aveo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 has horror stories to tell you on his santro service.

We do not ask why Honda still has around 75 bhp in a so-called luxury car that everybody goes gaga about in 2007, while I bought my entry level Toyota in the US (in 1986) with 113 PS. And then we ask: Palio Stile 1.1, WHY? (personally I think the Honda City is a good car). We never miss easy targets, do we?

We do not care why people drive around with high beam on at night (which is absolutely illegal and leads to accidents) or why trucks and cars drive at high speed in the wrong direction on 2-way highways (separate up and down streams) even at night.

We do not care. We even go out and write whatever we like irresponsibly on the net, because there is no punishment.
Old 8th July 2007, 16:54   #32
BHPian

Well written...I must say!

Well, buying cars by far is a mouth publicity affair (at last it is very much there in India). The mass consumer has just started buying cars as they are becoming affordable not for their lower prices but for the easy loan as well as the increase in income.

We give safety, ride quality and build quality the last priority. For us, first as foremost is mileage.

I am sure, western europe is also a mecca of small cars. But then, there the buyers are more concerned about some of the things we don't even think of while buying a car. For expample

The rating in EuronCap is viewed as very serious point while deciding a car.Euor nCap goes into the finer details of the facts like how safe is the car for you, your kid, the pedestrian etc. etc. How many time we think about this, when we buy an Alto, Santro or any other car which weigh less than 800kgs in comparison to a Palio which is close to 1000kgs (kerb weight). If this indication is something to do with build quality and in turn about the safety while being inside the car....all the future buyers need to think again.

No one ever denied the fact that FIAT made one of the most well built cars. Cars whose ride quality is awsome. Even one of the reports which Top Gear wrote about the Fiat Adventure while comparing the Fiat Adventure and Ford Fusion that "How did they get the ride quality of this car so right..."

Definitely the old Fiat Palio was a victim of being ahead of its time. No one offered 1.2 litre then when Palio came. No one offered Euro3 when FIAT offered even in good old Uno. But then, you need to sell more to set up more service centres and increase your spare and service quality. FIAT definitely took a beating here. incidentlly, I also thought Fiat Palio 1.2 gave a abysmal 9kmpl in city untill, I read about it in detail. trust me, I bought a FIAT Adventure after 6 months of research and dilemma. I am getting more than 9kmpl with 100% a/c on in city.....how in this world the non-Fiat owners/sellers spread the word that the 1.2 palio gave 9kmpl or less......I still wonder! (I remember one of my colleagues who owned a Palio telling me....speak to a Fiat owner to know the fact about the product rather than speaking to those who give you feedback borrowed mindset)

I am sure, Stile still is one of the best looking hatch around and I guess, its another misnomer of 57 BHP which is trying to kill a very good car. In that logic, New Honda city with 77bhp petrol would have never been able to compete with 94BHP Hyundai Accent or 101 BHP Verna or 100+ BHP other cars such as Ford Fiesta.....just to remind you, its not cheaper than any of the cars I just named....!

Hence, I strongly feel, one must test drive and feel the car rather than merely looking at only the mathematics of BHP

Last edited by omar1310 : 8th July 2007 at 17:00.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:39   #33
BHPian

Humans, It's been more than a year since you posted a 2000K review. Since then you must have added many more happy miles on your car, must have done service, and must have gathered more knowledge about car ownership in general and Palio Stile in particular.

Why don't you share some of your good/not so good experiences with everyone?

How is the FE now?

What maintenance you have done so far? Any major expenses?

How is the availability of servicables/spares? Where are you servicing your car?

Did you do any Mods? like tyre or wheel changes? ICE setup? etc
Old 27th October 2008, 13:57   #34
BHPian

Hi Autocop,

Yep it's more than 1 yr and more than 20k on Odo now. I am completely satisfied with my decision to go with Palio Stile. I will not say I have any bad experiance with car per se. The only bad thing happend is my right side rear tyre blasted as well as rear axle bent after running over a roadside angle about 2 months ago. So craned it to service station and got it done with insurance. And when I was coming back after getting it fixed from service station some idiot in Safari hit from back and sped away. This time I got the denting and painting done from outside for no fault of me or car either.

FE I am constantly getting 13+ in city driving with full AC. I have not done any modification with anything in it, so all is stock. The only maintenance I follow is regular service on time and nothing else. I go for service to Vivek Motors.

regards
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:33   #35
BHPian

Hi to all fiatians.. I recently sold my maruti 800, I am planing for a new car now.I almost test drove all the small segment cars (Maruti , Hundai, TATA) except for chevi sparks.My budget is between 4 and 4.5. Now i have almost decided on palio SLX 1.1 . I took the decession as soon as i got out of the car from my test drive.I should agree that the car was performing beyond my expectation.It was a great pleasure driving it. Though many say its underpowered but, I feel the power is more than enough for a city drive. Just waiting for the december offers. I am dealing with prerana motors, and so far they are doing a fair job. I hope A S S shd also be smooth. Can anyone suggest me regarding what kinda free Bees to demand? It will be great if somecan share about thier cars mileage and performance after 10000 km.
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Hi Autocop,

Yep it's more than 1 yr and more than 20k on Odo now. I am completely satisfied with my decision to go with Palio Stile. I will not say I have any bad experiance with car per se. The only bad thing happend is my right side rear tyre blasted as well as rear axle bent after running over a roadside angle about 2 months ago. So craned it to service station and got it done with insurance. And when I was coming back after getting it fixed from service station some idiot in Safari hit from back and sped away. This time I got the denting and painting done from outside for no fault of me or car either.

FE I am constantly getting 13+ in city driving with full AC. I have not done any modification with anything in it, so all is stock. The only maintenance I follow is regular service on time and nothing else. I go for service to Vivek Motors.

regards

Hi Humans ! Its nice to know that you have crossed 20K. Can please share with us about ur highway mileage? . Some people complain about the door ratling.. wats your opinion on that? Do have any idea about a remote central locking for SLX? IF i separetely fix it, will they need to change the entire manual central locking?
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:16   #37
BHPian

I have completed more than 21000 KM on ODO. The FE I am getting is always more than 13 KM/L in city with heavy traffic and above 16 KM/L on highways. And I personally think people can get better than this if drive sensibly which I generally don't. I literally drive with very heavy foot, lot of gear change and some heavy braking. I know It's me very bad.

I think they are already offering lot of discounts, but you can always ask for usual mud flaps, mats, gear lock, sun film, teflon coating, seat covers, and rest on your negotiation.

And I can say based on my experiance it is definetly not underpowered when compared with others in this category. If you go for it, just experiance the handling and performance after the run-in period, I will say you won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsri007 View Post
Hi to all fiatians.. I recently sold my maruti 800, I am planing for a new car now.I almost test drove all the small segment cars (Maruti , Hundai, TATA) except for chevi sparks.My budget is between 4 and 4.5. Now i have almost decided on palio SLX 1.1 . I took the decession as soon as i got out of the car from my test drive.I should agree that the car was performing beyond my expectation.It was a great pleasure driving it. Though many say its underpowered but, I feel the power is more than enough for a city drive. Just waiting for the december offers. I am dealing with prerana motors, and so far they are doing a fair job. I hope A S S shd also be smooth. Can anyone suggest me regarding what kinda free Bees to demand? It will be great if somecan share about thier cars mileage and performance after 10000 km.
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:42   #38
BHPian

There is not a single rattle till date in doors or anywhere else. That is the level of build quality I can say, which is absolutely fantastic. No idea about remote locking, I am still using the manual one.

Quote:
Hi Humans ! Its nice to know that you have crossed 20K. Can please share with us about ur highway mileage? . Some people complain about the door ratling.. wats your opinion on that? Do have any idea about a remote central locking for SLX? IF i separetely fix it, will they need to change the entire manual central locking?
Old 4th December 2008, 11:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
There is not a single rattle till date in doors or anywhere else. That is the level of build quality I can say, which is absolutely fantastic. No idea about remote locking, I am still using the manual one.
Hey humans.. Thnx for ur comments. I will sson post some pics after buying the car .
Old 13th September 2012, 12:26   #40
BHPian

Re: Updated Palio Stile 1.1 SLX 2000 KM report

Its been 3 years 9 months, I have done 54k KMS this includes a mix of highway and city drive.

As an owner of this car I will comment on positives and negatives from this 3.9 yrs of Experience:

Positives to start with :

* Drivers car, Comfortable to Drive
* Good Capacity ( Comfortably 4 + 1 if thin )
* Very stable above 120- 140
* Good Breaks
* Nice feel of the heavy build
* FE 14 km with AC in city and 17+ in Highways

Negatives
* Poor pickup with 5 on boarded ( Expected)
* Breaking noise ( it's rather a feature of Palio offlate)
* Some kinda wired suspension noise at times while going slow on humps ( Not always)
* Live with Very poor turning radius..Initially it was okie, I dint notice it! After driving other cars, I feel its a big flaw for indian roads
* Dumb Service people who dont understand the car ( Can I say Fake doctors ? ) I ended up learning a lot! For normal Service like washing and cleaning these people are good but not for solving Issues! They seldom do it. But Car is still surviving with good Immunity( Touch wood :P)

Breakdowns so far :

2010 on the way to Kanyakumari car just stopped and it wont start for a while say 2 minutes.. Then it was fine
Same issue 2012 JAN on the way to Coimbatore, ( Started after 5 minutes )
Still the service people are not able to figure out the reason, the temperature was all fine. May be Battery was week because of continuous AC ? No idea
2012 March : Accelerator cable got stuck inside City.

No other Issues noticed

Conclusion:

I spent 4L on this and I am happy, the car still goes almost like a new car, Smooth and very pleasing to drive. I think for this segment, we should not expect more than this. End of the day I win as a happy owner of palio ( After a lot of mind battles :P )

Thanks
Srikanth

Last edited by gatsri007 : 13th September 2012 at 12:32.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
* Very stable above 120- 140
Hi,
Can you confirm the presence of stabilizer bar in the front suspension of your 1.1 slx?

Stabilizer bars were present in the old Palios. I had a 2007 slx (1.1) for a brief while recently, and the particular car did not have the same, though the mounting holes and threads were all intact in the lower arm and body.
Old 16th September 2012, 02:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Hi,
Can you confirm the presence of stabilizer bar in the front suspension of your 1.1 slx?
As far as I know, the stabiliser bar came only on the Palio Stile 1.6 sport and the Palio Stile 1.3 MJD, but not on the 1.1 Stile.

Quote:
End of the day I win as a happy owner of palio ( After a lot of mind battles :P )
Happy to see another happy owner of a Palio Stile. My Stile MJD is in the service centre for the past 8 days waiting for a radiator, but then I agree that at that price point, its a good car.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 22:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:

2010 on the way to Kanyakumari car just stopped and it wont start for a while say 2 minutes.. Then it was fine
Same issue 2012 JAN on the way to Coimbatore, ( Started after 5 minutes )
Very distinct possibility its the alternator acting up. My 1.6 Stile needed 2 replacements in the three years I had her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks