Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 18:45   #106

Re: The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review

This is undoubtedly one of the best and honest reviews posted , the review captures every fine detail on the energy spent towards accomplishing this mission of getting the Ghurkha home…let me call it the off-roading paradise of India , The Andamans !!

Most of us know Force Motors as the manufacturer of our fav TT .. I have been using the acronym TT since my school days.... our office cabs are TTs. As many of us know the company started in 1958 and always had huge potential in building good vehicles especially because of the multiple JVs they have had with Tempo (acquired by Daimler) , ZF , MAN and Bosch over the past years but somehow this potential was limited to commercial vehicles or people movers. However, this review written by Vignesh and the product itself 2021 Gurkha has changed my perception .... Force is now a competition in the personal vehicle segment as well...or an off-road category.

After reading this review and watching the Gurkha perform in the wilds I for sure would make a lengthy stop at the Force showroom to check the Gurkha out … if not for this product and writeup many of us probably would have visited directly the M&M dealers to book the Thar and wait for 6 to 8 months for delivery. The seating layout , seating position and access to rear seats is probably the USP for the Gurkha.

With Jimmy releasing soon Force Motors needs to work on the shortfalls…. interiors , handling , finishing … to ensure this product stands tall… the fundamentals are good and some focus on other areas can make the Gurkha a segment leader.

High regards to the Force team for their dedication , attention to detail and for building the “wow” factor during the entire delivery process !!!!

Good Luck Vignesh with the Gurkha and Happy & Safe driving !!!
maheshco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:52   #107
BHPian

Re: The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
FORCE GURKHA - SPECIAL VEHICLES DIVISION

Django wears ....]
They look superb! I really really want a set. Please do forward me the contact so i too can have them made. Superb design and execution!
Well done!
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 20:25   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
They look superb! I really really want a set. Please do forward me the contact so i too can have them made. Superb design and execution!
Well done!
Sure, both my stainless steel custom cuts ( Special Division Vehicles and Django) are punched by my friends, the good folks at drivenationindia.

While the first Django badge, was a simple font hunt game to get the right font from the movie poster, we had to work a lot more on the custom design and artwork for the second badge and I’m glad my idea has turned out well in the flesh.

I have recommended the same idea to Force Motors to include some badging of this sort as a factory fit for future Gurkhas.

Please find them on Instagram.(@drivenationindia)

Direct Message Rohit Thammiah, give reference of Vignesh or even better Django!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 16:12   #109
BHPian

ON THE GROUND CLEARANCE OF FORCE GURKHA BSVI 2021

ARAI defines ground clearance as the lowest point within the middle 80% of the car's undercarriage between the wheels.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-screen-shot-20220212-3.40.57-pm.png

Therefore, the lower arms of the wheels which are found closer to the ground as we move outwards towards the wheels, do not feature as the 'lowest point' for the purposes of definition.

This has some logical reasoning backing it, because typically these arms would lift and fall with the tires and the tires would hit the obstacle first. So these are 'safer' in terms of clearance, compared to other underbody appendages such as transfer cases etc. which 'hang' under the middle of the underbody.

Thanks to Trojan's reference of his older generation Gurkha Explorer, I laid it out against my new BSVI Gurkha.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-90205.jpg

The lower arms in both the old and the new Gurkhas are about 205mm clear off the ground.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1622.jpg

The additional bracket and the protection plate welded in the new model Gurkha is lower than the wheel arms and presents a challenge to underbody clearance. This one is about 175 mm clear off the ground.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1620.jpg

I have driven my BSVI Gurkha over rock, slush and sand extensively, more than on tarmac, and I have managed to save bashing this bracket most of the time. But if one doesn't choose line wisely or if the terrain itself is too undulated or with deep ruts on either side, the plate does scrape the ground, and I have hit it hard a couple of times. And we all know that feeling that rattles your heart and your brain together when you hear that 'thunk' sound. It is a bash plate and it is doing if its job protecting transmission components if it gets bashed, but if this scrapes against rock and the paint comes off, that's a rust inception point for this island Gurkha and that's a big worry.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1072.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1128-4.jpg

There is sufficient gap above this plate and I am trying to understand the design ethos or the safety precaution that might warrant this gap. If I do not find one, I would consider replacing this with a custom made stronger angled bash plate or slider frame.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1201.jpg

I will update you guys what I end up doing based on how intruding this gets.

Note: I'm running 245/75/16 against OE 245/70/16 and therefore my truck actually stands taller than OE Gurkha and so these measurements are on the optimistic side.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 12th February 2022 at 16:21.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 20:34   #110
BHPian

Absolutely Fantastic Review Vignesh !!!!

Wishing you, your family and Django all the best for the years to come.

I've a soft spot for both the Thar and the Gurkha for a while and is always a joy to go through a good ownership review - living vicariously for now :-)

Lovely pics! please keep them coming. Rated the thread '5 stars'

PS -
Your English teacher would be so proud of this writeup!
Mar21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 00:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The additional bracket and the protection plate welded in the new model Gurkha is lower than the wheel arms and presents a challenge to underbody clearance. This one is about 175 mm clear off the ground.
I was about to ask the well-versed Gurkha 2021 owners about the underbody protection and this low-slung protection frame. Few days ago I was watching a YouTube video of snow drive- in Deep snow posted by Mr. Anshuman Bishnoi. It was about 2 feet or more snow there in Narkanda (Video seems to be of mid-Jan, 2022). And few high end 4x4 SUVs struggled to negotiate that. He mentioned that the vehicles should have enough underbody protection and specific type/ shape/ structure of the bumper.

Can the stock Gurkha negotiate this much of deep snow in its stock form or some modifications/ retrofit would be required? Is there any underbody protection already available or need to be installed separately? Though there are ample videos and winter Spiti expedition videos, Prashant-ji's videos are available on YouTube, there wasn't this much of snow.

In deep snow, whether 175~180 mm clearance would be enough when the driver is not sure what is there beneath the snow?

[I thought I would post this query in the Gutkha review thread. Since you have already introduced the ground clearance subject, I am posting these queries here.]
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 08:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Can the stock Gurkha negotiate this much of deep snow in its stock form or some modifications/ retrofit would be required? Is there any underbody protection already available or need to be installed separately?
The Gurkha is very capable, even in stock form. As I wrote, it’s a plug and play off-roader from the get go.

For extreme stuff, it’s up to the owner to understand the vehicles capabilities and limitations and spruce up the vehicle accordingly. For eg, for those who need it, a proper bumper with recover points may be a requirement .

I would not judge the capability of the vehicle just by this one low plate. I am already working on a solution for it and would update you by tomorrow.

The Gurkha is potent and extremely capable once you know what you’re dealing with. A lot depends on how well one can exploit its capabilities. My respect for the vehicle grows with each discovery of its off-road prowess.

My Django is getting his underbody treated to withstand the salty air and salt water onslaught here in the islands especially since his favourite hunting grounds is beach sand.

I’m modifying the bash plate also to liberate more space, while still retaining protection.

Give me a day and I’ll show the full underbody.

Teaser image prior to full report: -

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-277d9196e19f432bb4a076a33708e012.jpeg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 11:45   #113
BHPian

Vignesh-ji, just one thing I would like to clarify about my query. I (and probably others who are posting in Gurkha related threads) absolutely have no doubt about its capabilities.

My main concern is how to protect the underbody/ moving parts/ tubing/ wiring/ sensor under such snow condition. (Actually I have a dream to go for this type of journey).

For your case, the challenges are two-fold: to provide mechanical protection and chemical corrosion protection.
Old 13th February 2022, 14:56   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

For your case, the challenges are two-fold: to provide mechanical protection and chemical corrosion protection.
You're absolutely right Riju.

My Gurkha is getting these two solutions done precisely as we speak. I am trying to protect the underbody against corrosion which is Django's main enemy. On closer inspection, I can appreciate how the company already has done a pretty decent job, compared to the older model, of properly bundling and running the hoses through protected conduit routes. Some rubberised paint coating has also been provided on chassis underside for wear, abrasion and corrosion resistance. But there are other components which are ripe for rusting once we scrape the paint off or touch sea water. Some electrical connection boxes underside also need some water proofing/ insulation.

Within the available means and resources in the island, I am getting Django's underside completely done up and will give a report once I'm done tomorrow.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1634.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1654.jpg

Underbody now:-

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1636.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 13th February 2022 at 14:58.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 17:39   #115
BHPian

Tried to catch the sunset again yesterday, but the sun quickly dropped like a ball and all I got was a glimpse of burning red dot against the Island Gurkha.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1626.jpg

Since Django is on the jack getting the underbody work done, my standby vehicle is the good old Explorer. And I'm quite enjoying the old boy. (Full story later!)

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1664.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 13th February 2022 at 17:46.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 18:32   #116
BHPian

Underbody Protection and Coating

The threat of seawater corrosion and rapid rusting of underbody was becoming real for this island gurkha.

I was actively trying to source and set up a thorough scheme for coating the underbody considering Django was spending most of the time near sea water or in it. I had not discussed the same with Force Motors or any workshop.

Django has become quite well known in our island capital now. Gear heads and the ‘car community’ in town keeps a watch on its movements and excursions excitedly. I have people eagerly flocking to the truck when I’m parked or in market places and enquiring about 3 things mainly - the Gurkha, Thar v Gurkha, and how I got it here. Our local tiny rally and off-road community is anyway aware of the induction of the newest green horn among them.

Word spreads fast within the four main roads of the island and it was only a matter of time until someone offered to help!

Our hyper proactive local Andaman Force dealer Mr Shibu, who has become a good friend now, reached out to me on his own accord. He advised that we need to get the underbody work done soon before Django heads out beach roading again.

We discussed various coatings available and how we can implement it on the undercarriage. We also discussed the intrusion of the low bash plate position and how to address it.

Brainstorming various options. With my experience with boats, I considered anti corrosive paints used on boats here for its insane resilience. But its demerit is that it locks up all nuts and screws jamming them permanently and so is not practical for an auto undercarriage in contrast to smooth boat hulls. Mr. Shibu suggested some Anti rust treatments available in market they had previously used on TT vans to good effect.

A word about Mr Shibu & A.G Motors

This Shibu gentleman is a blessing here for Django. He has a got a small team of battle hardened, qualified and Force trained mechanics in his workshop and supports all Force vans , ambulances and Tempos and Traxes running up and down to remote locations. With limited resources, their team still offers towing assistance and quick repairs, even in other remote islands way beyond Port Blair to keep the lifeblood flowing through Andamans. I want to throw light on this for mainlanders to appreciate that even milk and eggs come in to Port Blair and a chain of ferries and vans and trucks move like clockwork to get it to other islands. These trucks, pickups and vans can’t afford to stop or be broken down for long.

As for A. G Motors, I saw them ferry an engine and gearbox from Havelock island and quickly box it up and turn it around in a day! Their lead technician Mr Prakash is one of those child prodigy type guys who ‘talks’ to engines and is lightning quick in way and wit , how he unravels the mysteries under the hood. Limited by resources, innovation rules supreme and I can see how they trust their own experience and assessment to overcome any mechanical glitch. They cannot afford to wait for long lead parts to arrive from mainland to fix small issues and can’t wait for any tech head to visit for elevating complex issues. The buck stops here and they do what they do, as the tides rise and fall, right here.

I have little doubt that this small island team can take down a ‘big city’ workshop in a garage showdown anyday, (and still finish well in time to make it to the last ferry)

The Good Samaritan, Mr Shibu also runs a Free Hearse Van ,he and his friends modified from an old Traveller XL to help people in need to ferry the departed from remote North and Middle Andaman. I’m really glad my Gurkha helped me make his acquaintance and earned a good friend.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_hearse.jpg

For Django, he offered to do the entire underbody work Free of Cost as a kind gesture towards the first BSVI Island Gurkha and as a part of the ‘Force Family’, he said benevolently.

I bought the paints and the coatings required for the execution and so started Django’s first workshop visit.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_boxofgoodies.jpg

The crew also excitedly huddled around to see the first BSVI Gurkha and what’s new in and out.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_exxcitedcrew.jpg

We lifted Django on the large capacity lift which has only seen the likes of TT vans and minibuses before this. (What a beautiful sight of a lift against backdrop of a small stream and coconut trees.)

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_liftstream.jpg

Our initial observations compared to the undercarriage of the older Gurkha.

Force Motors has provided decent underbody coating right out of the factory. There is rubberised coating on the mainframe chassis for wear and corrosion resistance. This was provided in the older model as well to suit off-road duties.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_rubbercoating.jpg

The management of the cables and hoses running underneath is vastly improved. All hoses and breathers have been neatly organised and routed through safe conduits tucked along the body to prevent any fouling or disconnection.

The U bracket provided to ‘catch’ the drive shaft if it breaks and falls down. The bracket is decent strength and hangs under, providing some protection to the shaft also against direct hits.

After a thorough wash and degreasing, the Gurkha was left overnight to dry. Then we used 3M Underseal and PPG UnderCoat to coat the underbody fully. All moving parts were greased and all nuts were tightened. We used Hammertone Black paint for the wheel wells and covered the underside of the footwell and rear foot step as well. The finish is robust and looks like it can take punishment. All electrical connections were sealed and insulated to prevent damage due to water ingress.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_coating1.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_coat0.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_coat2.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_breathers.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_coat_before-after.jpg

We needed to address the low bash plate and improve it for better clearance. The bash plates and the brackets were removed and the plate was cut and re shaped to suit the contour of the undercarriage. This moved the new plate higher and closer to the body thus liberating a whopping 235+ mm of ground clearance now, befitting the Gurkha. No more scary bone jarring, heart wrenching clangs when you hit a bump the wrong way.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_beforeafterclearance.jpeg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_clearance.jpeg

The coatings and the plate work required the the truck was at the workshop for 2 days. Mr Shibu offered his own old Gurkha Explorer as a standby vehicle! I quite enjoyed my time with the old boy and appreciated the improvements in my new model better.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img1665.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img1666.jpg

The solution may not be perfect and will need re-touch periodically, but we have done the best with the available resources in the island. I'm happy with the work and can't wait to take Django out on his next offroad adventure.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 16th February 2022 at 18:41.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:09   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Underbody Protection and Coating

We needed to address the low bash plate and improve it for better clearance. The bash plates and the brackets were removed and the plate was cut and re shaped to suit the contour of the undercarriage. This moved the new plate higher and closer to the body thus liberating a whopping 235+ mm of ground clearance now, befitting the Gurkha. No more scary bone jarring, heart wrenching clangs when you hit a bump the wrong way.

Mr Shibu offered his own old Gurkha Explorer as a standby vehicle! I quite enjoyed my time with the old boy and appreciated the improvements in my new model better.
Just some time back, I mentioned in my thread about some changes needed for the bashplate and there there... you have already implemented this much needed solution Awesome

This will certainly give a huge amount of piece of mind while driving while securing the underparts appropriately.

That 5 door Explorer was our vehicle of choice and each time we see one, we reminisce how things would have been!

Lovely execution with the underbody coat too, great gesture by the local FM dealership, not about the money but the actions itself which go a long way in building customer confidence.

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 22:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

Lovely execution with the underbody coat too, great gesture by the local FM dealership, not about the money but the actions itself which go a long way in building customer confidence.

Cheers,
Yes, It’s surely peace of mind and kudos to local workshop.

It’s a game changer off road and 235mm is great relief.

EDIT ADD We also coated the exhaust pipe with HT heat resistant high temperature paint.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 02:09   #119
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vignesh,

Love what you're doing with your Gurkha. Loved the thread and the regular updates.

Great efforts by the team to facilitate your requests. I just hope you address the insides of the chassis members too.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-under_rubbercoating.jpg

Leoshashi mentioned on his M800 thread a product (Cavity Wax) they use for such areas which are boxed-off. Please get in touch with him for details.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 07:24   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Hi Vignesh,

Love what you're doing with your Gurkha. Loved the thread and the regular updates.

Great efforts by the team to facilitate your requests. I just hope you address the insides of the chassis members too.

Leoshashi mentioned on his M800 thread a product (Cavity Wax) they use for such areas which are boxed-off. Please get in touch with him for details.
Thanks Tgo.
This is the ‘Before’ picture of the stock Gurkha.

We addressed all these crevices particularly and made sure we coated inside them because this are the favourite hiding spots for sea water to start rust pockets.

We used hammertone combination specifically because it’s thin consistency and helps us fill these nooks and crevices nicely.

I will also enquire about cavity wax and see if I can get it shipped here:
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks