Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 15:10   #1
BHPian

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!

It gives me great pleasure to pen this initial ownership review of my Phantom Black 2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol. Given the relative rarity of the Petrol compared to the immensely more popular Diesel, I hope this thread serves as a useful reference for prospective buyers and I look forward to learning more as well from other contributors on Team BHP who own this beautiful machine.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_2.jpg

Background

I am an ardent automobile aficionado and I often use this expression "I set out in life to be an industrial designer but, alas, I ended up becoming an instructional designer. It's still ID!"

Of course, while the heart yearns for coupes, extreme off-road machines, and mid-engined monsters, the wallet and the mind often has to look for compromises. However, I consider myself slightly "left-field" when it comes to my car choices.

Contrary to typical financial prudence, I upgrade my cars every 5 years because I believe the adage "the heart wants what it wants". So while I like to look after each of my cars with care and compassion, the new car itch is a hard one to leave unscratched.

My previous ride was a 2017 Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.3 Zeta in Caffiene Brown. This car set an incredibly high standard and I knew it was going to be a tough task to find a worthy successor.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-scross.jpg

Other cars I have owned and driven include a 2006 Blue Maruti Suzuki Swift VXI, 2011 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD in Fox Trot Azure (I sold this in 2020) and a 2013 Hyundai Eon Magna(O) in Grey.

Barring the Swift, I doubt anyone would call the other cars I have owned thus far as mainstream. However, barring the Fiat Punto, I had a pleasant ownership experience with all my other rides. Each of them were incredibly hard to let go because they were in top shape and had been driven for less than 50,000 KM at the time of being let go. Nevertheless, as I said earlier "the heart wants what it wants"!

Options Considered

It was one fine Sunday morning in October 2021 when I was out for a stroll on Church Street that I casually walked into TAFE Access on St. Mark's Road to check out the Octavia. While they didn't have one on the showroom floor, they walked me to the back where the TD car was standing. One glimpse of the Silver test drive Octavia and I knew that I was going to enjoy this new car discovery journey.

Skoda Octavia

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-octavia.jpg
The Octavia was light years ahead of the S-Cross in terms of sophistication, luxury, and style.

After driving the Octavia, I was convinced that spending 30L or so on a new car would be worth it because the cars in this segment were significant steps forward from my current ride.

I absolutely loved the styling and the performance. The interiors were super stylish and luxurious. I enjoyed the short-ish test drive around the MG road area and walked out of the TAFE Access showroom after sharing my contact details. However, I was disappointed not to receive any callback in the days to follow.

I wasn't going to bother following up and, to be honest, I still wasn't convinced that a sedan was the right option as I had gotten used to the comfort and convenience of a crossover. My wife is averse to sedans and we have a small toddler which means that we need to carry a number of odds and ends on road trips.

But I was keen on giving the Octavia a second chance. This time, I checked out a Lava Blue Octavia at PPS Skoda Sadashivnagar. This test drive was much more exhaustive and I was convinced of three things:
  • The performance of this car was extraordinary. So much power and instantaneous throttle response.
  • The rear seat was not as spacious as I wanted and the suede upholstery would be a tough one to look after especially given our small kid.
  • The Style variant felt like a compromise and it was the L&K or nothing if I had to go for the Octavia. But at an eye-watering 37 lakhs, the value proposition was simply not convincing enough. There were no discounts on offer and I made it clear to the sales advisor that I would not consider buying in December without any discounts. We were at an impasse.

Audi Q2

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-q2_2.jpg
Did I mention that I was a bit "left field" in my thinking? Well, you can't get more left-field than this. To be perfectly honest, I have dreamed of owning this car ever since it was released in Europe and I was beyond disappointed when this launched in India with underwhelming specifications and atrocious prices.

But I knew that there was plenty of stock available and I thought that I'd be able to strike a good deal. The Audi Bengaluru Central showroom is just a short walk from TAFE Access on St. Mark's road and I trundled along to their showroom.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-q2_1.jpg
In there stood a Red Q2 in the Premium trim. One look at the car and I was smitten. Forget the lack of features and pricing and all that stuff, JUST LOOK AT THE CAR!! It was love at first sight. In my heart, I knew that this was the car I wanted. It had amazing proportions, a tight, snug stance and then walked over the sales advisor.

Now this gentleman was the most amazing sales guy I interacted with during this new car purchase journey. Super friendly, super professional and very accommodating. He instantly understood that this was the first time I had mustered the courage to walk into a German luxury car showroom and he was very thorough in his explanation. I drove their test drive Q2 for quite a bit and loved nearly everything about it.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-q2_3.jpg
I loved the high quality interiors; the tactile feel of every button, knob, and switch; the exquisite virtual cockpit; and the driving experience (of course!) I knew the Quattro system was virtually useless for this class of car but that's what bragging rights are about, isn't it?

We haggled a fair bit over the price of the Q2 over the next couple of weeks. I think the sales advisor was not really sure if I was going to be serious buyer or not and perhaps he stopped short of unveiling the "full" Audi discount barrage. But we stopped at approx. 40 lakhs for the Premium Plus 1. This was the only trim I was interested in. I hated the black details and bits of the Premium Plus 2 and the Technology trims and the Premium was too basic for my liking. There was no way I was going to spend over 30 lakhs and get fabric upholstery.

As I ruminated some more on the Q2, I came to the following conclusions:
  • Barring the badge, this car was going to be a compromise on many fronts such as space and luxury features
  • The car is a non-mover for all practical purposes. I am going to get a car that's already a year-old and will be 2 model years behind come 2022. I wasn't sure if the car would be in good shape considering it's been sitting in a lot at either the dealership or in the factory for a good year or so.
  • It's simply too expensive for what it offers. Truth be told, paying anything more than 32 lakhs on road for the Q2 Premium Plus 1 would be criminally insane.

So with a VERY heavy heart, I bid adieu to the Q2. May we meet again a decade from now when you have an EV heart, perhaps, my love? And maybe you'll be a Q3 by then?

BMW 220i Gran Coupe

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-220_1.jpg
Once I was in German car territory, the bug was truly bitten. I couldn't help but proceed to check out this car at Navnit Motors. I had already made up my mind that the BMW X1 (which is simply the logical upgrade from an S-Cross in every sense) was not for me. I was truly in love with this car several years ago but at 50 lakhs, it was simply not sexy enough for me anymore.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-220_2.jpg
Sexiness, however, is something the 2 Series had in spades. It was menacing, cajoling, inviting, and sinfully tempting. You don't need one but dear Lord, you want one! The sales experience at Navnit Motors Lavelle Road was unimpressive at first. I don't think the sales advisor took me for a serious buyer. I was even turned down from a test drive on the Sunday morning I went there. But another visit a week later was much more pleasant.

Zero complaints about the drive in this car. It was supremely sports coupe-like and I enjoyed everything about it. It made the Q2 feel like a grandmother's car, such was the level of sophistication and luxury inside. Hands down, this was the best vehicle I enjoyed test driving.

Again, current market situation being what it is, the sales advisor was unable to come below 46 lakhs on road for the Sport trim. The list price was 51 on-road. I was perfectly happy with the Sport trim and if we were able to strike a deal at around 42 or so, I might have bitten the bullet and got this one - my wife's aversion to sedans be damned!

But the thought of being kicked out of the house and having to sleep in the car for several nights took over my brain and I admit I was not too keen on being in that situation. Thus I said my farewell to the 2 Series.

Citroen C5 Aircross
PPS Citroen has opened a showroom on Millers Road (next to Vikram Hospital) where the Old Mini showroom used to be. I stepped in one afternoon to check out the C5 Aircross. I was the only customer there and was attended to promptly. The sales advisor tried his best to convince me that I should think of the C5 as a competitor to the BMW X1. I was impressed with the space, comfort, and style of this vehicle. The Blue shade in particular was very striking.

I test drove the car and was beyond impressed with the suspension. The S-Cross is not terrible by any means but compared to the C5, its suspension felt like sticks and stones. This car's ability to absorb road imperfections, craters, and potholes was second to none. If comfort is one's sole priority for purchasing a luxury car, I don't think one can go wrong with the Aircross. Performance was not a concern either. The diesel was responsive, smooth, and refined and the gearbox was impressive too.

Here's my conclusion on the Citroen:
  • While it's a great car, I found it hard to convince myself to spend 40 lakhs on it. There was nothing about it which screamed desirability and luxury. This was a competent, sensible car and somehow I thought this car was punching way above its league in terms of price.
  • The PPS sales experience was thoroughly underwhelming. There was no interest to make a sale. Just a "take it or leave it" attitude and I was off put by it.
  • The absence of a petrol option. As much as I have owned and driven diesels for more than a decade, I was not convinced about the quirks and inconveniences of owning a BS6 diesel. I was keen on getting a Petrol and the Citroen didn't have this option.

Jeep Compass
KHT Prime on Tumkur Road is just a few kilometres from my residence and I drove in to check out the Compass. I saw both the Limited and Model S trims and test drove a white Model S 1.4 Multiair Petrol. The sales advisor was very friendly and we struck conversations at great length about the car and just about anything else. The Compass is clearly the most popular D-segment SUV in the country and I can see why. There's a model trim for every price point and the facelift has made it infinitely more desirable. It had a great range of colours and I could think of at least 4 colour options I would be happy to drive home with. The trouble was the following:
  • The car was not big or spacious one. At 30 big ones, my wife and I couldn't convince ourselves that we were getting sufficient metal and space for our buck. No middle head-rest for the rear passenger is a surprising omission.
  • The Model S was way too expensive at 33-34 lakhs and the black interiors were making an already small interior feel entirely claustrophobic
  • The automatic transmission was feeling dim-witted even in bumper to bumper city traffic and sudden bursts of acceleration felt unpredictable and non-linear.
  • My previous ownership experience of the Fiat Punto was downright atrocious. Defective parts, eye watering service costs, thoroughly incompetent service centres et al. The thought of compounding that experience with Jeep weighed heavy on my mind.

Hyundai Tucson
Saved the best for the last, haven't I? But jokes apart, this car flew under the radar through my entire car search and discovery. Like many others, I thought "Oh, this model is outdated and is expected to be replaced fairly soon" and I was not at all serious about it. But my experiences above meant that I was running out of options. It was then I chanced upon the ownership reviews from Team BHPians Quadratic Amoeba and LONG TOURER. I admit their write-ups made me sit up and take serious notice. I downloaded the brochure and checked out a number of videos online.

Deciding to embrace the adage "Do not judge a book by its cover", I picked up the phone and contacted Blue Hyundai on Mysore road. The sales advisor at Blue Hyundai was the best of the lot (I also interacted with Trident and Advaith). Even though a Tucson petrol was not available for a test drive, he arranged for me to drive an Alcazar Petrol (same powertrain) and 2 test drives of the Tucson Diesel.

The Tucson impressed us on several fronts:
  • Incredible space and comfort. The space in the rear seat was jaw dropping and the overall comfort was even better than the C5 Aircross.
  • Several feel-good creature comforts with the most essential ones being the panoramic sunroof, the dual electric front seats, the connected car tech, the auto hold feature, static bending lights, and the electric tailgate. I was well aware we were missing some good stuff like ventilated seats, paddle shifters, digital instrument console among others, but those were not essential in my view.
  • The overall cost and value proposition. At the offered price, the car was well and truly impossible to ignore. This was a full D-segment SUV at just a little over C-segment SUV price and well below what the competitors were demanding.

Pricing, Sales, and Delivery Experience
For a variety of reasons, I ended up striking my final purchase with Trident Hyundai in Sadashivnagar. But chief among them was that their quote on my S-Cross was the best of the lot. I was offered a price of 7.5L on my 2017 S-Cross which was above what the other dealers were interested to offer. We were quoted a price of 29.8L for the Petrol GLS and 31.3 for the Diesel 2WD GLS.

We dilly dallied between the Starry Night GLS Diesel 2WD (primarily for its ubiquity, scintillating performance, and availability of our preferred colour) but ultimately we decided to get the Petrol. Although the only model available was Black in colour (and we were staunchly against owning Black cars before), we determined that the Petrol will give us long term peace of mind.

While the sales advisor was competent about the car itself, the follow-up and delivery experience was not up to the mark. There were oversights and mistakes at many steps but the team there slowly worked through each of my pain points. Some examples include:
  • Not being able to provide all documentation on the day of delivery (e.g. Road Tax paid challan, insurance, registration number) despite us being clear about the date on which we wanted delivery.
  • The insurance did not have all the add-ons we discussed. They quickly amended this but it should not have happened in the first place.
  • The accessories provided at the time of delivery were not up to our satisfaction. I had not discussed the contents of the free accessories but barring the mud flaps and the floor mats, I was unimpressed by the car perfume and the Ganesha idol provided. They did not look fit for an Eon, let alone a Tucson. I actually paid an additional 650 bucks to pick this idol from the dealer. They really should have procured this in the first place.
  • We requested the car to be delivered at home. There were no flowers, chocolates, no photo frame - NIL. Clearly, this is a seller's market but the lack of effort made it feel like I have purchased vegetables from a shop and not a 30L car.

The only silver lining was that they took my complaints seriously and made amends. My wife was particularly underwhelmed and vowed to never purchase from Trident again. She's a Hyundai fangirl. In hindsight, I think I could have gone with either Blue Hyundai or Advaith Hyundai but well, no point crying over spilled milk.

When I was due to have the number plate installed at the dealership, the team tried their best to make up for all my complaints. Thus, I experienced a "second" handover. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_del.jpg

Exteriors

Here are some exterior shots of my Tucson. I admit I am hardly an avid or professional photographer so pardon my rather underwhelming pictures.

The black and chrome detailing look harmonious together and I believe make the car look quite elegant. Similarly, the design of the 18" alloys is quite striking. Overall, the Tucson is an elegant, sophisticated looking vehicle.
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_1.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_3.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_4.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_5.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_6.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_7.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-tucson_8.jpg

Interiors

Similarly, here are some pictures of the interiors of my Tucson. The rear seat is a HUGE draw with the incredible angle of recline available.

The front seats are incredibly comfortable too. The driver gets an electric lumbar adjust which is quite useful too.
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_2.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_1.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_3.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_4.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_5.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_6.jpg
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-int_7.jpg

First 1000 KMs Experience

As I write this today, the car has covered 1450 kilometres since I brought it home in Mid-December. It's due to go in for its first service next week and I have had the chance to drive it in the city as well as on outstation drives to Tumkur, Mysore, and Lepakshi/Penukonda in AP.

What I like
  • Refinement--After a decade of driving diesels, the quiet solitude of a petrol is such a calming influence on the senses. I often wonder whether the car is running at all!
  • Ride comfort--Over broken roads and bad surfaces, the car is unruffled and holds its poise really well. Very un-Hyundai like, if you know what I mean. Bumps and surface irregularities are mild inconveniences and the suspension absorbs them really well.
  • Supreme highway muncher--The overall powertrain and ride/handling dynamics make this a super comfortable cruiser. Almost 70% of my driving so far has been on highways and I am convinced that this car can get me across the length and breadth of India without skipping a beat, while keeping me utterly relaxed and comfortable in doing so.
  • Ease of Driving--Despite being a fairly big car, the vehicle does not feel imposing to drive. I have been able to take it into fairly tight spaces and the camera, front and rear sensors provide enough ease of judgment to make day-to-day driving easy. The steering is light without feeling too artificial and suits my style of driving really well.
  • Full size spare tyre with alloy--This is a rarity in today's day and age, isn't it? Unlike the diesel, the petrol gets a full size spare tyre with the alloy to boot. While space savers may be the rage, there's nothing like a fill size spare to calm the nerves on long highway drives.
  • In-built navigation--the navigation system is surprisingly good and even provides graphic details on the exit roads and turns to take. Take that, Google Maps! I have used this system a fair bit and found it quite reliable.
  • Panoramic sunroof--This roof has become a huge hit in the house. It looks vast and has sufficient insulation to prevent the insides from feeling too hot. The cover is of high quality and blocks sunlight effectively when required.
  • Fit and finish and material quality--There are no real cheap surfaces in the Tucson. All the plastics and leather feel both high quality and durable. The Citroen which costs 10 lakhs more feels more or less similar in material quality and finish. I am a huge fan of the leather seats. The doors are well built and feel solid to the touch.
  • Service Cost and Wonder Warranty Program--I must admit that this is a huge draw. Flexible warranty schemes are the need of the hour based on one's usage and the assurance of low maintenance costs with fully covered service makes the ownership experience more predictable and satisfying. I opted for the 5 year, 50,000 KM warranty coverage.

What I dislike
  • Petrol/gearbox responsiveness on kickdown at medium to high highway speeds--The Petrol will not knock the socks off you. Let's get this straight out of the way. If you are after performance and do not care about what it takes, just do yourself a favour and get the Diesel. With 188HP on tap and its vicious 400 Nm of torque, that powertrain will have you grinning from ear-to-ear at every turn. Its throttle-response is almost telepathic. The petrol is a much gentler beast. It has 152 BHP on tap with torque of just 192 Nm. When driven with linear throttle inputs, the pick-up is calm and brisk. But put your foot down to do that quick overtake on a 2-lane road and you will hear the engine jump till 3500 RPM before upshifting. It will get the overtake done but you realize that the car is hunting for the right gear in doing so. That's the only time you feel the powertrain is straining itself to get something done.
  • The absence of a few creature comforts like adjustable rear sun shades, ventilated seats, paddle shifters, and memory function for the front seats. The last two are particularly irksome misses.
  • Infotainment system--The radio reception seems particularly poor. It struggles to pick up FM radio signals on highway journeys smoothly. Some of the radio stations in Bangalore can be heard all the way up to Mandya if you are driving to Mysore and I observed that the signals were fading quickly on this one. The other nitpick I have is that Android Auto does not work with voice commands. Why oh why, Hyundai?
  • Bluelink app commands don't work 50% of the time--Now whether this is because of my phone's internet connectivity or the Bluelink servers, the reality is that using the app commands for remote start stop is completely hit and miss. After a while, you realize these feel like gimmicks. However, the reports and insights on driving patterns are quite useful and detailed.
  • Bottle holders in the doors. The shape of the speaker panel is such that large, tall bottles don't fit as neatly as I expect them to.
  • Absence of an adjustable driver's armrest--I really got used to the sliding armrest in the S-Cross and the one in the Tucson (while quite comfortable to rest one's arm on) is not adjustable. So be prepared to move your seat accordingly to find the perfect position and your rear passenger may frown at you for doing so.
  • Brakes don't have much feel--There is a discernible disconnected feeling with the brakes. The stopping power is plentiful and panic braking is not an issue but it has a playstation-like feel (or no feel if that's how one would put it). I think this is just a matter of getting used to.

What I can live with
  • While Black does take some effort to keep tidy, I have grown to like it. This car and color makes me turn back and take a look at it every time I park. I guess that says all that it needs to say, doesn't it? What more can we ask of as car enthusiasts?
  • I am averaging about 9-10 KPL in mixed driving conditions and I think that is par for the course. This is a heavy vehicle and you cannot deny the laws of physics. I expect it will get better in due course as I put in more KMs but am not expecting miracles.
  • The AC has a mind of its own. While the cooling itself is not an issue, I cannot understand how the AC works and it keeps switching between recirculation modes, fan intensity, and direction of airflow in ways which I don't expect. Perhaps it's really intelligent and, for now, I am just learning to live with it. None of my co-passengers have complained of cooling (or lack thereof).

Grievances

• The single most heart-breaking thing for me was a rogue stone which chipped my windshield. This incident happened in Mandya while I was driving from Mysore to Bangalore one morning. Given the other two incidents of chipped/cracked Tucson windshields reported by fellow BHPians in the Diesel facelift review thread, I am wondering if it's just my bad luck or is this a quality issue? I have driven this stretch several times over the years and this is the first time any car of mine has suffered such a damage. Most disappointing!
  • Front underbody engine/mud-guard--Watch out as this piece is prone to scraping when you encounter an undulating road surface with a sudden/steep elevation change. I believe a couple of BHPians have suffered damages with the underbody already so, yes, while this is an SUV, I don't advise chucking it onto all types of road surfaces with gay abandon.

And that's it for my write-up for today! Thank you to all Team BHP members for offering insights along the way and fellow Tucson owners for their write-ups and advice.

I am happy to answer any questions and look forward to keeping this thread updated as I clock the miles on my Black Beauty!

Last edited by Pyrotek : 17th January 2022 at 11:25. Reason: Editing in progress based on moderator inputs
Pyrotek is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 22:57   #2
BHPian

re: 2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!

Absolutely lovely review of a lovely, yet underrated car. Congratulations and wish you many many happy miles on it.This is probably the first Tuscon petrol ownership review, and boy, isnt she a looker in that shade

I was extremely interested in the Tuscon petrol back in 2019, but one of the dealers in NCR, or at Chennai (where i was moving from) were able to offer me a test drive, so it fell out of contention, and i got the Jeep. Had i got the test drive, am sure the Tuscon would have been in contention. It is an excellent tourer- spacious, capable and powerful.

Your efficiency figures are great for a heavy petrol, and i think they will get better after your initial services. There is an unique joy in driving traditional naturally aspirated petrols as compared to turbos- the refinement and revs are both fun and pleasing.

In fact, your thread makes me feel like i should pen a review for another rare beast on Indian roads- the Fortuner petrol automatic that i own. Which gives me 10 kmpl

Keep updating the thread.
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 09:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:20   #4
pms
BHPian

Congratulations! Tucson looks stunning and though it doesnt have all the features of its younger siblings it scores on space, drivability and is well built. One of the few Hyundais that looks and feels built to last! Wish you many miles of safe drive!
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:32   #5
BHPian

Congratulations!! The Black on your Tucson is looking amazing. This car has such a classic look which is a far cry from the extremities in design that we are seeing in the latest car launches.

I am looking to buy a new car sometime this year and have been reading a lot on Tucson and finally coming across a review for the Petrol version. Although my budget is around the lower 20s, Tucson is the only vehicle that has made me consider upping that to somewhere in the 30s (which should easily be the case in Mumbai OTR)

One of the only reasons I am not fully convinced on going all out and spending that close to 30L on the Tucson is the few creature comforts that you talked about which are missed on this version. That's the reason I am confused between waiting for the new version launching later this year - which is among the quirky designs on the front & rear or going for this version - classic design but missing on a few features which I would be getting in a car much lesser than what this version of the Tucson costs.
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
It gives me great pleasure to pen this initial ownership review of my Phantom Black 2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol.
First of all a very heartfelt congratulations on the acquisition of your black Tucson and I wish it serves you well for the time to come and may change your mind of changing cars every 5 years or so.

Quote:
Skoda Octavia
A very big thanks for providing valuable insights on the Škoda Octavia 2.0TSi. When I was closing the deal of my car the Octavia wasn't launched yet and I was having a slight bit of regret in my mind when it was actually launched and how everybody from journalist to BHPians highly appreciated it for what it offered even though being quite expensive and after reading all those I actually was getting a wild idea of trading off my brand new Tucson diesel 4WD with the Octy, I was even ready to bear the additional fuel costs but your input has helped me to get back to my senses and indeed reaffirm my decision of buying it.

Quote:
Audi Q2
I also toyed around with the idea of getting one, after all it had that prestigious 4 rings on its nose and we all know how much prestigious it is to own one in our country and the manner in which it attracts attention and respect from the people especially in valet. Consider this, a couple of years ago when I and my friends went to Radisson Blu to attend a formal event, my one friend who had bought a new Ford Endeavour was asked to handover the SUV to the valet and was parked in the underground whereas my another friend who had a pre-owned Audi A4 was kept right in front of the VIP Parking, such is the respect it commands.

Sorry for going off-topic but yeah apart from the badge Q2 doesn't offer much in that respect and in my view even Audi knows this and their main clientele would be the high class people who have a dozen of luxury cars already present in their garage and just need a city slicker for their maybe their shopping needs and likewise.

Quote:
BMW 220i Gran Coupe
When I went to check out the BMW X1 the SA also tried to lure me towards the 2series.Like you mentioned the 2series is very different and also the fact that it's so less around that it has that exclusiveness which is missing in even say the 3series or X3 but the truth to be told, the value quotient was just missing and at least for me that front fascia was odd-looking and I much preferred the simpler but classier front of the 3series, and for me at least if its a BMW sedan, it needs to be RWD. Personally speaking I did like the X1, the 2.0 diesel with 8AT was amazing and coupled with the sorted dynamics of the car it had some sort of sheer driving pleasure but when I came to know that the updated Tucson now has the faster and smoother 8AT and also it has pretty sorted road manners that too at a whole lot less it just didn't made much sense to me, also not to forget that there is just a single BMW dealer with only a single workshop in my entire state as compared to Hyundai which has dozens of in comparison and also the fact that Hyundais in general have a fuss-free ownership experience it made a whole lot more sense.

Lastly call me a paranoid but I'm actually extremely happy by the fact that how less attention the Tucson actually attracts on the road(most people pass it off as the erstwhile Creta facelift) but at the same time has all the qualities of a premium(almost German) soft-roader.

Quote:
But the thought of being kicked out of the house and having to sleep in the car for several nights....
After reading this I was literally

Quote:
Citroen C5 Aircross
I actually quite liked the Citroen, to be very honest, it had a distinct, fresh European(read French) mojo associated with it and not only that the supremely comfortable ride quality(at par with some high end Mercs), the solid build quality with 5star Euro NCAP rating and last but not the least that terrific 2.0 diesel+ 8AT combo was quite lucrative but PSA group didn't even have a single dealership in my state, also there was the fact that the interiors didn't leave me impressed that infotainment system too felt more of say 2014s era, all this made me drop it from my shortlist.

Quote:
Jeep Compass
I absolutely agree with you in this front. It's very easy to fall in love with a SUV like Jeep Compass especially the new facelifted version. Even though being fairly expensive it has that rough and tough American DNA(sadly the only one left after the exit of Ford and GM), great driving experience, nice set of engines, boatloads of features and the status and affluence associated with the Jeep brand makes it for the de facto choice in its segment. It has its fair share of drawbacks too, major one being the compact dimensions and the cozy interior space (somewhat reminds me of the Volkswagen Polo, enthusiast's choice but lacklustre space), also the transmission on both the powertrains even though use state-of-the-art technology can be described average as best in their performance, also another factor is again my state has just one Jeep dealership and they were surely misusing their monopoly by burdening us with inflated insurance, accessories and handling charges, also the service centre hasn't had a very good user review which made me wary of buying the Jeep and ultimately dropping it from my list.

Quote:
Hyundai Tucson
Saved the best for the last, haven't I?
Absolutely! It's a real shame that how this competent car just flies under the radar for most of the premium SUV buyers, most people shrug off this SUV by saying that it's outdated, going to be replaced by a new model and what not but most people don't actually realise how good this SUV is even in today's day and age, also people comment as if it's archaic and lacks even the necessary features required today, if that's the case then what about the Toyota Innova Crysta, it comes with even less goodies than say a Suzuki Baleno but the actual clientele of the Innova give a damn about it, also how many features do we actually use and require in our daily lives while driving, at least for me, I'm satisfied with the Apple Carplay being connected with my iPhone, listen to my favourite track with the help of a decent sound system(mind you, one on the Tucson is a fab sounding one), receive calls on the go with the help of steering mounted audio and telephony controls. Illuminated controls and switches are far more important and useful for me as compared to cheesy mood lighting(which makes no good mood IMO), a good powerful air-con is more important to me than some gimmicky Air Purifier system and lastly call me old-school I still love the classic style Analogue dials(especially the one on Tucson and erstwhile Hyundai and Audi cars are so nice looking, much better than the digital ones IMHO), ADAS will be necessary in the time to come but I can manage without that as of now. Apart from that almost all the features are definitely present in the Tucson, electric seats, Automatic headlamps and wipers, 6Airbags, ESP with VSC, ABS with EBD&BA, all 4 disc brakes and a humongous planetarium like panoramic sunroof with automated sunblinds. The thing which I like in Tucson the most is the attention to detail and the solid build quality which is just lacking in comparison to the other Hyundais as of now in sale in India (apart from the Elantra). The doors, not only they are heavy but the rubber beading used is so thick and of so high quality, the insulation material used in the engine bay and firewall is so thick and heavy, the wheel arch claddings, they are felt lined and also a special insulation foam is used in the inside of the fenders which causes additional damping and so good sound-proofing, get this, once I was stuck in middle of a traffic jam in the Tucson but I was barely getting irritated by the outside noise(especially that irritating horns of two and three wheelers) and was calmly enjoying my favourite soundtrack and when I came back home I was barely tired and not having a headache at all, which is not the case usually, quite commendable in my books. Then there is the performance part. Yours is the petrol which IMO is quite good and sensible, see it might be a normal MPI Naturally Aspirated engine coupled with a simple 6speed Torque Converter A/T and this might be old school for some people considering cheaper cars from Hyundai-Kia lineup offer modern turbocharged direct injection motors along with cutting-edge dual-clutch Transmission but what most people forget is the reliability and durability factor, the Tucson petrol would be very fuss-free and reliable (typical of Hyundais), may not have that strong mid-range punch like turbos and not even top-end punch like VTECs and neither have efficiency of Suzuki K-series engines but would serve well without causing headache to the owners. Even though I'm not an extremely heavy user to fully warrant the need of a diesel SUV(also considering the new set of precautions which come with BS6), that 185BHP and 400Nm along with that quick 8AT was too good to let it off(not to mention the HTRAC AWD comes only in diesel) made me choose this powertrain and give the X1 a run for its money! Out on the expressway especially when you gun down those 185 horses with AWD in Sports mode it truly justifies its 30L+ price tag and is an experience worth enjoying, again and again.

Quote:
While the sales advisor was competent about the car itself, the follow-up and delivery experience was not up to the mark.
This is an issue faced by majority of the people buying expensive Hyundais, consider my case I was buying their most premium car available as of now in India that too the top-of-the line most expensive variant, forget giving me gifts and doing some celebration, they just handed me over the car from workshop and they didn't even bother me to give simple, inexpensive accessories which were assured to me even, my car wasn't even bearing mats for the first 3months of ownership and I had to use newspapers instead, also the dealership didn't even bother to procure the same, I had to buy it myself from an altogether different state. Come on man, I have bought a 33L SUV from you when I had the option to go for other cars as well but you didn't even bother to give me 1000Rs mats?They even lose my HSRP plates and stickers and then again they had to ask the RTO to issue a duplicate of the same. They didn't even keep a stock of HSRP frames and I had to buy one from MSIL dealer, also while fixing the HSRP, they managed to make a deep scratch on one of the plates and managed to fix it in a tilted position and not even tell me a sorry for the same. During the first service, even though I had taken a prior appointment nobody received me and I literally had to run after one of the SAs to get my 'Premium' SUV to not service but just inspected by them.. Frankly speaking though, I already knew I would be facing all these issues if I bought the Tucson but still I did so only because of its merits,I would be enjoying my car for the years to come why bother with these couple of days? although yeah, if Hyundai wanna improve their sales in premium segment they need to improve on this front but at least in India, do they actually want to do it, if that was the case we would have received cars like new Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe, i30etc a long time ago, even their Alcazar and new i20(both being expensive) isn't so well received(not to forget cars like Terracan, old Sonata, old Elantra,1st gen Tucson, erstwhile Santa Fe etc were big failures), I think they are happy selling Venue, i10 and of course, the Creta being their star performer.

Quote:
Overall, the Tucson is an elegant, sophisticated looking vehicle.
Absolutely!, and not only the Tucson, IMO all their erstwhile Fluidic generation cars like Elite i20, Verna etc still look so elegant, I still can't digest the fact that how Hyundai can come up with such bulbous and monstrous designs(no offence to owners). In my honest opinion the Elite i20 is still a looker and one of the better designed hatchbacks to be sold in our country( I like the design even more than the Punto Evo and Polo). The Tucson, even though a SUV, manages to look so pleasing and all those fluidic curves along with some muscle come out to look so elegant, also those small details help in elevating the looks further by no small margin. The shark fin antenna, dual rhomboid shaped exhaust, sleek ORVMs, slick 18" diamond cut alloy wheels, fluidic mouldings and the chrome waistline and the large headlamps and taillights make it all the more attractive and especially in that black shade, gels out so well. Peter Schreyer, designer of the iconic 1st gen Audi TT and now with Kia motors, had a very short stint in Hyundai, during which he designed just a single car for Hyundai, the 3rd gen Tucson, no wonder why it looks so understated but at the same time so classy, and truth to be told the Tucson, more than a Korean, is more like an European soft-roader SUV

Quote:
The rear seat is a HUGE draw with the incredible angle of recline available.
Absolutely, the rear bench being so wide and having such a large angle of recline function makes for oh, so comfortable long journeys, coupled with a fab suspension setup and the exquisitely low NVH levels makes doing 1000s of kilometres a breeze in the Tucson.

[QUOTE[*]Refinement[/quote]
I can very well understand your point. Even the diesel is so quiet, I can just imagine how eerily silent would be the petrol one, quoting from the official review
Quote:
At idle, the diesel was quite. The petrol is dead-silent! At a standstill, you won't even realize that the engine is running.
Quote:
[*]Ride comfort--Over broken roads and bad surfaces, the car is unruffled and holds its poise really well. Very un-Hyundai like, if you know what I mean. Bumps and surface irregularities are mild inconveniences and the suspension absorbs them really well.
Completely agree with you, the ride and handling of the Tucson is truly commendable. It's slightly stiffer at lower speeds, just like European cars but at higher speed is rock solid and the multi-link suspension lends the Tucson a very good ride and handling manner.
Quote:
[*]Supreme highway muncher-
This car is made for highway in my opinion and the diesel especially feels just right and it can easily crunch long miles all day long without breaking a sweat.

Quote:
[*]Ease of Driving-
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this front, the Tucson just looks big but actually wraps itself around the driver very well and the fairly light controls and steering(which does weigh up as speed increase) makes driving this car a boon in City but more than getting fatigued I'm wary of those careless scooter and motorcycle riders making a scratch on it which is why I don't prefer taking it out in the town.

Quote:
[*]Full size spare tyre with alloy-
The Tucson in its BS4 guise did offer a full-size alloy spare in the diesel as well but due to new emission norms, Hyundai needed to add a urea tank which ate up the space and the room was left just for a thin space-saver tyre which is useless(mine has already got a cut). Damn you BS6!

Quote:
[*]In-built navigation
The in-built maps are actually usable, have a good resolution and show live routes too, these are provided by Here IIRC. The best thing I like about these maps are the fact that these include POIs and are directly linked with the car, in the sense that they account in to information like average speed and driving data of the car to display the ETA and also when the fuel tank hits low it pops up a box asking to navigate to nearest fuel pump. These are little things, but are commendable nonetheless.

Quote:
[*]Panoramic sunroof
The sunroof truly is humongous and actually the whole roof of the car is entirely made of glass. It gives a planetarium feel in the car and especially at clear summer nights it would be a great experience to watch those twinkling stars, some planets and our old friend, the Moon from the moonroof, also the cabin will be automatically lit up with these celestial objects and we would then have a natural ambient lighting system!

Quote:
[*]Fit and finish and material quality--There are no real cheap surfaces in the Tucson. All the plastics and leather feel both high quality and durable.
This is one area which is impeccable in the Tucson and you truly cannot find a flaw in this department, Hyundai's traditional strengths does lie with good cabin fit and finish but with the Tucson they have truly outdone themselves. Most of the surface is covered with soft, leatherette finish, the seats are wrapped in good quality leather which is actually very breathable and the plastics are all top notch, even the roofliner is made of very high quality knitted material, the centre console doesn't rattle and the switchgear and stalks reek of quality.

Quote:
[*]Service Cost and Wonder Warranty Program--I must admit that this is a huge draw
Absolutely. IIRC Hyundai calls it their Premium Assurance Programme and is available only with the Tucson and Elantra. It includes three free services, different warranty programmes and 3 free map updates among other benefits. It is one of a kind of program and the fact that its complimentary makes the deal all the more lucrative, if I remember Citröen has come up with something similar of this sort and MG has some scheme called Shield of Trust or so which has somewhat similar benefits but that again is a paid option. In my opinion these programmes are necessary and go a long way in enhancing the overall ownership experience
Quote:
Flexible warranty schemes are the need of the hour based on one's usage and the assurance of low maintenance costs with fully covered service makes the ownership experience more predictable and satisfying. I opted for the 5 year, 50,000 KM warranty coverage.
Yeah, its truly nice of Hyundai to offer a flexible warranty package(I think they call it as their Wonder Warranty Scheme and is available with all of their offerings). Your being a petrol, you did a prudent job of opting the 5year package but me being a diesel owner opted for the 3year package with unlimited kilometres, I may extend it to 5years if I see the need of doing so in the years to come.

Quote:
[*]Petrol/gearbox responsiveness on kickdown at medium to high highway speeds--The Petrol will not knock the socks off you..
The exact reason why I went with the diesel. To be honest though it is expected, see the Tucson is H-E-A-V-Y and 192Nm of torque is too less for pulling this giant whereas the diesel which uses state-of-the-art e-VGT system churns out more than double, earth-moving 400Nm of torque], not exaggerating but its more torque than what Toyota Innova manages to eek out from its 2.4litre motor.
Quote:
rear sun shades, ventilated seats, paddle shifters, and memory function for the front seats.
Initially I too was miffed by the lack of these simple but important features but as the ownership time passed on, I realised a few things, the sun shades are important but not necessary( though I would be putting on 3M CR70s on all the glasses soon), the leather seats being of good quality and being breathable along with a chiller air-con more than makes up for it, don't know about petrol but in the diesel I haven't felt the need for paddles as the transmission seems to be doing a great job on its own and memory function might be required if there are multiple people driving the car, for me I've been the lone driver of my car and not willing to hand it over to other people unless absolutely necessary. Not trying to be a devil's advocate but sharing my opinion.

Quote:
[*]Infotainment system--The radio reception seems particularly poor.
Not only with Tucson but people with other Hyundai-Kia cars have complained about the same as well although I haven't faced this issue yet.

Quote:
[*]Bluelink app commands don't work 50% of the time-
Again for me it has worked every single time and I think you need to constantly update the software. The issue I have faced though is when the car is idle for long time say a couple of weeks, the car goes into some sort of sleep mode to conserve the battery and doesn't respond to any telematic inputs but the moment you unlock and re-lock the car it starts to respond again. I think this is built-in so as to switch off the MODEM and conserve the battery.
Quote:
[*]Absence of an adjustable driver's armrest--I really got used to the sliding armrest in the S-Cross and the one in the Tucson (while quite comfortable to rest one's arm on) is not adjustable
The armrest is fixed and considering the i20 and Verna has a sliding function it does feel like a glaring omission but as you pointed out it's positioned in such a way that it's usable for most of us and for my 6" frame I've found it to be pretty comfortable on long journeys.
Quote:
[*]Brakes don't have much feel--There is a discernible disconnected feeling with the brakes. The stopping power is plentiful and panic braking is not an issue but it has a playstation-like feel (or no feel if that's how one would put it). I think this is just a matter of getting used to.
This is a common behaviour of all Hyundai cars. The initial feel is spongy and the brakes don't bite in the same aggression as you would expect them to but nonetheless they shed speed extremely quickly and I'm very happy with the braking setup. It's just a matter of time you get used to the same. The brakes although are excellent, consider my case when I first test drove the Tucson I unknowingly took the car to 130+kmph!! that too when it was raining cats and dogs and the streets were having couple of inches thick sheet of water, scarily enough I grabbed the brakes and the 1.7tonne SUV stopped in a straight line without even being veered off from its line and that too without ABS pulsating even for once!

Quote:
[*]While Black does take some effort to keep tidy, I have grown to like it. This car and color makes me turn back and take a look at it every time I park. I guess that says all that it needs to say, doesn't it? What more can we ask of as car enthusiasts?
The black shade is even though quite a pain to maintain but nothing matches black when its gleaming in all it glory, you've seen those military generals' shiny black Ambassadors?, they look so damn beautiful. I've opted for full body 3M high gloss Venture Shield PPF for my car and they have made the job of maintaining the car a whole lot easier, maybe you should opt for some treatment too?

Quote:
[*]I am averaging about 9-10 KPL in mixed driving conditions and I think that is par for the course. This is a heavy vehicle and you cannot deny the laws of physics. I expect it will get better in due course as I put in more KMs but am not expecting miracles
You shouldn't expect too. Come on man, it's a 2000cc petrol and that too in such a heavy SUV, you should be glad you are able to at least eek out nearby 10kmpl, my diesel doesn't give me over 13.

Quote:
[*]The AC has a mind of its own.
Which is why it's called Automatic Climate Control!

Quote:
[*]The single most heart-breaking thing for me was a rogue stone which chipped my windshield.
Maybe I should keep an eye on the same but fingers crossed this incident has not happened with me but I don't think the windshield is to be blamed here because some stones are truly very hard and have that pointy edge which can easily crack them.

Quote:
[*]Front underbody engine/mud-guard--Watch out as this piece is prone to scraping
This heat-gruelling incident has occurred with me and that too without any fault of mine. When I was driving on a narrow single lane road a speeding Innova Crysta was coming from the opposite side with flashing lights and wasn't even reducing its speed a bit, so to save the situation I had to veer of the left side of the car from the road shoulder which was pretty steep, causing loud noise and rendering my car's underbody guard badly broken. I had to order a same for my car from Hyundai ASS and the part came after almost a month( and it costs 16,000INR by the way!). The Tucson is a soft-roader at best and it would be better not to take it to some challenging terrains.

Quote:
And that's it for my write-up for today!
Stay safe and happy motoring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Absolutely lovely review of a lovely, yet underrated car. Congratulations and wish you many many happy miles on it.This is probably the first Tuscon petrol ownership review, and boy, isnt she a looker in that shade
Yeah, she is a looker in that shade and especially from the side isn't it eerily resembles a Porsche Cayenne? The fluidic 2.0 design or Storme's Edge as Hyundai called it works out best on cars like Elite i20, Tucson and Santa Fe in my opinion. Also, yes eagerly waiting for your Toyota's review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Congratulations! Tucson looks stunning and though it doesnt have all the features of its younger siblings it scores on space, drivability and is well built. One of the few Hyundais that looks and feels built to last
Absolutely, it truly is in a league of its own and just can't be compared to lesser Hyundai's. The build quality and the attention to detail which is usually lacking in Hyundai's is present in abundance and TBH it does feel more European than a Korean(maybe I say VW'ish?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
Congratulations!! The Black on your Tucson is looking amazing. This car has such a classic look which is a far cry from the extremities in design that we are seeing in the latest car launches.
Yeah, it's a sad fact that as time is passing by, we are just seeing less and less of these cars, newer cars might have more features but they just lack that charisma found in some of these old cars, remember the 8th gen Civic, the 10th gen Altis etc all those cars till date are a class apart and today's cars just can't match their engineering standards. Regarding the design front, I don't know what happened to Hyundai, their fluidic sculptured cars were so good looking and were treat to the eyes but their recent designs are just not that elegant and pleasing in my books. The Tucson is among last of better looking Hyundai's but alas it's going to bid us farewell soon and would be replaced by the 4th gen model, which though is heavily modern and tech-laden just lacks that classic elegance and timeless design of the outgoing model and not good looking in my books at least.

Signing off with a picture of my SUV. Rated the thread a well-deserved 5stars. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol : My Black Beauty!-img_65b7ec93273e1.jpeg  

Tony2298 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:42   #7
BHPian

Very detailed and excellent review, @Pyrotek. Happy to see review of a Petrol Tucson on the forums.

@Tony2298 - I really liked how you have provided your perspective on the various likes/dislikes and it did make for interesting reading.

Congratulations to both of you on what I see is a very worthy contender in the segment though not heavily hyped. Wishing you lots and lots of miles in your new rides with a great ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
That's the reason I am confused between waiting for the new version launching later this year - which is among the quirky designs on the front & rear or going for this version - classic design but missing on a few features which I would be getting in a car much lesser than what this version of the Tucson costs.
While I did multiple TDs of both the petrol and diesel Tucson a few weeks ago, got stuck in the same dilemma of whether to wait for the new version or go ahead with the current one. Given the recent spate of launches with higher prices, I expect Hyundai to do the same whenever they launch the new version. If that happens, I am not sure if it makes financial sense for me personally to plan another 2-3 lakhs on top of the current prices.

Purely from a people carrier standpoint with several elders at home, I looked at the Crysta as a long-distance tourer though I don't see anyone jumping for the 3rd row . Just looking at the dimensions of the Crysta, it seems to be more or less the same as Tucson which was very surprising. The Tucson seems to hide its size well and appears far more compact that it is - both when parked and when driving.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
While I did multiple TDs of both the petrol and diesel Tucson a few weeks ago, got stuck in the same dilemma of whether to wait for the new version or go ahead with the current one. Given the recent spate of launches with higher prices, I expect Hyundai to do the same whenever they launch the new version. If that happens, I am not sure if it makes financial sense for me personally to plan another 2-3 lakhs on top of the current price.
Yes, and a already stretched budget might be stretched that much more with the addition of those creature comforts. The only thing that is making me contemplate it is the fact that I am already a Hyundai owner with the i20 since 2011. Knowing their track record with ASS and going from a hatchback to a SUV, in my head, I would rather do it with a Hyundai who I have had a good experience with since so many years.
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 19:05   #9

Quote:
[*]The AC has a mind of its own. While the cooling itself is not an issue, I cannot understand how the AC works and it keeps switching between recirculation modes, fan intensity, and direction of airflow in ways which I don't expect. Perhaps it's really intelligent and, for now, I am just learning to live with it. None of my co-passengers have complained of cooling (or lack thereof).
How intermittent is this happening? 4th Gen Hyundai Tucson has, what is called "Quality Air Climate Control Technology". The system regulates humidity and other air quality parameters within the cabin by turning off/ on recirculation mode. Perhaps few of these features have been included in the facelifted 3rd generation available here in India. More on that system in this link- https://news.hyundaimotorgroup.com/A...tioning-System

This may be an issue with the Aircon or an optimistic enquiry. would be great to know what you find.
Akmal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 22:16   #10

Very well written and a well deserved review of the Tucson petrol. Just 6 months ago I was scouring the internet for reviews for the petrol version and now I see quite a few ownership reviews ! Loving it ...

My white GLS petrol has clocked 3000 kms across a trip to Yercaud, another one to Mysore and lastly to Hyderabad. Loved it throughout.

Only compromise is in the area of sudden power - especially in Sport mode, the car gets confused. i can hear that the engine is trying to do a lot but gets lost in the gears. It doesn't help that my friend flies past me with the diesel whenever he wants and waits at the next stop just to fly past again ...

Everything else - I love !
BenglurianBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 14:13   #11

Excellent review, very well written and extremely informative!

I had initially almost booked a Creta IVT but the Tucson was always playing at the back of my mind. Your review helped cement my decision and I just booked the Petrol GLS in Phantom Black a couple of hours back. Have been promised delivery in 3 weeks time.

Will pen together a detailed post explaining the reasoning behind the change of heart + the booking experience very shortly.
Nikhil1406 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
… initial ownership review of my Phantom Black 2021 Hyundai Tucson GLS Petrol…
*Bump*

Hi, My friend is looking out for a used Tucson (2018 onwards) . He had some queries related to the car.

How’s the overall performance and mileage(in city/highway)?
What is the maintenance cost(yearly) and any issues related to parts availability or overall reliability?

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th October 2023 at 11:58.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 22:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
*Bump*

Hi, My friend is looking out for a used Tucson (2018 onwards) . He had some queries related to the car.

How’s the overall performance and mileage(in city/highway)?
What is the maintenance cost(yearly) and any issues related to parts availability or overall reliability?
Hi SoumenD,

I have covered 11500 km in my Tucson. There have been 3 free services so far across 2 different dealerships in Bangalore (Trident) and Mysore (Advaith).

I get a mileage of 7 kpl in Bangalore City traffic and about 12-13 kpl on the highway.

For my sedate driving style, performance is in line with my expectations. The 6-speed automatic gearbox is not the most intelligent in eco and comfort modes but acceptable in sport mode. I switch this mode on by default on the highway.

Touchwood, I have not encountered any major issues with the vehicle so far. The car has been reliable. Having said that, in my most recent service last week in Mysore, the air filter was not in stock so I will have to go back in a couple of days to get it installed. This is not good for such common parts.

My experience with RSA was also satisfactory for a recent tyre puncture.

Feedback from some fellow Tucson owners indicates that certain parts can take some time to procure, for example the windshield. The Tucson's windshield is vulnerable to chips and cracks more easily than any car I have had before and some other owners of this car on the forum can attest to the same.

My only other gripe is with the infotainment system. I have trouble with Bluetooth calls from time to time (e.g. voice distortion). Just a minor irritant. Waiting to see if a software update can solve this. Again, the dealership in Mysore was unable to update the same and promised to look into it when I visit them next to change the air filter.

I hope this helps. I think a used Tucson would make a great purchase and offer incredible value for money. Good luck to your friend.
Pyrotek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed