Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 01:11   #1
BHPian

Default Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

Disclaimer: This is a relatively long post which deals with my decision to buy a discontinued car -the Hexa XTA, the buying experience and a brief review. For ease of comprehension, I have split it into two parts. The first one deals with the decision, buying process and a road trip to get the car home. The second one is a brief review on my observations about the car. Since it is my first attempt at penning down my thoughts about a car, I would request the readers to be gracious and spare me a detailed scrutiny. Buckle up guys for the long journey ahead!

PART-1

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-roamer.jpg

Prelude:

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word ‘Serendipity’ as luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for. Similar is the case of me buying a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA. I was not in the market to buy this car. It just happened and it happened fast. It was akin to all the holes of the Swiss-cheese model aligning to make the inevitable happen. But before we dwell into how it happened, here’s a brief prelude: -

Did I NEED another car? Maybe No.

We are a family of three- self, wife and a four-year-old kid. We have a 2013 Swift ZDi that has done about 57000 kms, a 2010 Yamaha Fazer with about 21000 on the odometer- the first bike bought from my own salary, a 2015 Honda Activa-i used by the missus for miscellaneous chores that has clocked a meagre 5000 clicks, a 2017 KTM Duke 390 which is my getaway and has seen about 7000 kms till date. And to top it all, my place of work is about 2-4 kms away from my place of residence. Did I tell you that we also have two bicycles and sometimes I prefer to pedal to work? So, buying another vehicle did not make sense for us, until we replace the swift. But that is not an option as the lady is super-comfortable in driving it.

Did I WANT another car? Hell, yes!

While our Swift is in perfect condition, the impulse to buy something new has been knocking in my mind for a few years. Till now, I had been holding this impulse primarily because I didn’t NEED one. While I could afford a new car, this expenditure didn’t make sense, especially when my usage was minimal. Team BHP thread on retaining cars for longer duration and the restrictions due to Covid pandemic further reinforced this decision. Time went by and I kept following every new development in the Indian car scene. I even invested in automotive shares after reading the brilliant thread by SmartCat (just don’t ask me how this investment fructified)! However, that impulse for buying a new car didn’t die down. It only grew stronger like a supressed urge. By end of 2021, I knew I had to do something to satiate this longing.

Reinforcement for the decision to buy a new car.

One doubt that I always had in mind was would the boss of the household approve me spending on a new car? Well, I was not sure. Usually, I am the spendthrift and she’s the one who makes me hold my horses. So, one fine Sunday morning, while sipping a cup of coffee in our balcony, I candidly asked her – should we buy a new car? I was prepared for a no, but to my surprise, she said yes, we should! That was one of the best Sundays in my recent memory!

Hence, I started narrowing down the options. Our budget was flexible between Rs 15-50 Lacs (Rs 15-20 Lacs without loan extendable to Rs 20-50 Lacs with loan). The common requirement was to buy something big, spacious and comfortable. While I would prefer an RWD/AWD or a 4x4 with decent power and torque, missus was interested in road presence and creature comforts. The kiddo just wanted an orange car with a sunroof (don’t ask me why)!

The cars considered were: -

1. Toyota Fortuner – Massive road presence but overpriced for what it offers. Ride comfort not the best. Was on edge about this one.

2. Toyota Innova Crysta – Comfortable but slightly overpriced. Was one of the shortlisted vehicles.

3. Tata Safari – Looks great. Acceptable performance. Decent build and quality. Was another one of the shortlisted vehicles.

4. Tata Harrier – Looks great. Sportier than her bigger sibling. But Safari was considered a better option amongst the two.

5. Maruti Suzuki XL-6 – Comfortable. VFM. Could have bought it without breaking the bank. Performance was mediocre though. Briefly considered it but then rejected it due to perceived lack of safety.

6. Hyundai Tucson – A good car but not spacious. Rejected it due to lack of space.

7. Jeep Compass – A driver’s car. Dynamics are great. Space in the cabin is seriously limited though. Rejected.

8. Mahindra XUV 500 – Outgoing model was available for good discounts. Briefly considered but then rejected as it was too old a model.

9. Mahindra XUV 700 – This car was just launched. It seemed to tick all the boxes. 5 Star safety ratings. Long waiting period was a bummer though. Seriously considered booking one and waiting for eternity to get the AX7 Luxury Pack Automatic AWD.

So how did the Hexa come into the picture?

I was about to sign on the dotted line for XUV 700 when this conversation with the missus happened: -

Me: So how do you like the XUV 700?

She: Hmm, it’s okay. (I don’t know why her first replies are always an unenthusiastic Hmm, it’s okay).

Me: Don’t you like the car?

She: It looks a bit weird (read overdone) from the front.

Me: Any other car that you like?

She: Yes. Hexa! (With an enthusiastic smile).

I was surprised. I didn’t expect this answer. After all, you barely see any Hexas on road and she’s not a car person (or maybe, I didn’t consider her one!).

Nonetheless, I told her that the car is discontinued and we won’t be able to buy anew. There was the second surprise of the day. She said we can buy a pre-owned one, but we have to get a well-kept example!

Now, I had always had a soft corner for Hexa. I believe that Tata made this car just to prove a point and was disheartened when she was discontinued. If it were on sale, I would have definitely considered buying one. However, buying a pre-owned car was not my forte. All the vehicles I had bought so far were new. Hence, I had zero experience of pre-owned car market. The only weapon that I had in my arsenal was that sometime in my life, I had read the Team BHP thread on buying pre-worshipped cars.

Two more good surprises happened over the next few days.

The first was that the following day, while casually browsing on OLX, I found an advertisement for a 2019 Tata Hexa XTA posted on that very day.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-pic_front.jpgSerendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-pic_rear.jpg

This claimed to be a retired officer’s car and had done about 32000 Kms. The asking price was 13.5 Lacs. I contacted the gentleman and fetched few more details about the car. She was regularly serviced at TASS, had extended warranty till 2024 and had no accidental history. The fly in the ointment was that she had only a third-party insurance cover and had a few minor scratches. Nonetheless, the challenge was that this car was in Chandigarh while I was temporarily located in Coonoor, TN!

The next pleasant surprise was that my membership for Team BHP got approved. I have been an avid reader of this plethora of automotive knowledge since circa 2009. However, I never made an effort to become a member of this forum. This time I had a reason, I applied and got approval. Sincere gratitude to the moderators for the timely approval!

I posted few queries on the threads for used car prices and buying pre-owned Hexa. Initially the queries were not answered so I reposted them on these threads and on the official Team BHP Hexa review thread as well. This time I got valuable pieces of advice from the helpful members of this forum.
Armed with knowledge and confidence, I settled the deal to buy the Hexa XTA at 12.15 Lacs with the caveat that I shall pick the car up in December end. I paid the token amount of Rs 1 Lac to the owner without even seeing the car in flesh and just over a video call! (I don’t advise anyone for doing this though. It’s just that somehow, I knew I could trust that elderly gentleman). I also did not negotiate much as I felt the owner’s request for 12.15 Lacs was fair and maybe, in his hay years, he could use the 25-50 k that I might have further negotiated better. I still have years ahead to earn money!

Background about this particular car.

The car was bought in March 2019 by the previous owner, a 71-year-old gentleman, as a replacement of his 2007 Scorpio. It had been single hand driven by him. As per him, he bought this car with a hope that he will put it to good use when his grand-children visit him. That unfortunately didn’t happen due to the pandemic. With the pandemic subsiding, he was planning to go abroad and visit all his children and grandchildren one by one. Since that would entail one-and-a-half to two years of non-usage for the car, he was letting her go. He told me that the car was absolutely reliable and he had no troubles in the brief period of ownership except for a change of battery. The only parts replaced were LH window glass (cracked from a flying debris shot by a grass cutter), ORVMs (not working properly and replaced under warranty) and a fog lamp (broken by TASS during servicing, replaced free of cost).

Buying the car.

Every buying experience brings to the table its own comedy of errors. Same was with buying this car.

On the pre-decided date, I took my leaves from the office and flew down with family. The next morning, I met the elderly couple and had the first glimpse of the car. I was heartbroken to see the dent on the LH rear door.
Apparently, the car had met with a minor accident about three days back resulting in a dent and few scratches on the door.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-door-damage.jpg

The owner was forthright and had intimated me the day it happened. He had offered to get it repaired from his FNG but I had given him a stern no. On meeting, he again offered to take me to his FNG and get the door repaired. I insisted that I would get the repair done at TASS at my own convenience and he would have to bear the damages. He agreed to it.

After that, we took the car to RTO to submit the file for transfer of ownership. On reaching the RTO, we realised that our file could not be accepted as the insurance details were not updated on the Vahan portal! We had the printout of the original policy bought from the dealership at the time of purchase of the vehicle but that was not acceptable. We were advised to contact the dealership to get the insurance details updated on Vahan portal and then resubmit the file. A word about Chandigarh RTO. The entire process is digitised and I found it extremely rational requiring no middlemen.

So, we went to the Tata dealership in Chandigarh. The lady dealing with insurance told us that it would take 4-5 days for the insurance to be updated on Vahan portal. While at TASS, the owner asked them to service the car as the 50k service was getting due in a few days (actual odo was about 34k) and I had to drive it down. I also requested TASS for an inspection of the car before I put down my money (TASS has a 40-point inspection that they perform on cars). The service and inspection took almost 6 hours and bill came out to be Rs 3660. I offered to pay for the service and inspection but the elderly gentleman denied saying it was still his car so he ought to pay for it. The parts replaced were oil filter (the one fitted had a minor leak from rubber gasket), air filter and rear wiper. Since the car was under AMC for first two years, brake pads and front wipers were replaced in April 2021. TASS privately gave me a thumbs up saying that the vehicle does not have any issue or any accidental history.

A word about TASS now.

It was my first experience at TASS and I found it to be better than what I see at Maruti Suzuki Service Centres (I own a Swift, hence the comparison). The SA, Amandeep, was straightforward in his dealings and the service manager, Mr Chandesh, was extremely helpful and assuring. However, there were a few laggards as well, like the lady dealing with insurance who was unapologetic that the insurance details were not updated on the portal and had excuses or the person dealing with body work who did not give a clear estimate for the door repair and told it would cost ‘about’ ten thousand. Also, despite of being a relatively big service centre, TASS Chandigarh was completely loaded with cars. Overall, still, it was much better than what I have experienced at a few Maruti Suzuki Service Centres.

Taking the car home.

Next morning, he handed me over the car and took the documents along with authority letter for transfer of ownership. Therefore, I started my long way journey, covering almost the entire length of the country. The route taken was: -

Chandigarh> Ghaziabad> Gwalior> Indore> Ujjain (unplanned detour)> Nashik> Ellora Caves (unplanned detour)> Pune> Goa> Mysore> Coonor.

Name:  Map Pic.png
Views: 668
Size:  463.3 KB

Total distance covered was approx. 3750 kms over a fortnight with two-night halt at Indore and Pune respectively and five-night halt at Goa. The companions were my wife and kiddo. Overall, it was an extensive trip cum family vacation cum detour. I shall pen down a detailed travelogue later. However, here is a summary along with a few pics attached for the viewing pleasure.

The Beast sleeping after a long days' run.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-front-nashik.jpg

The loaded rear seats. It can carrying the world along, including toys for the little one.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-side-rear-.jpg

The detour to Ellora caves was an impromptu one made on the road itself!
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-ellora-1.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-ellora-2.jpg

Goa was warm and welcoming as always.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-goa.jpg

The serene drive through the Nilgiris.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-nilgiris.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-nilgiris-2-peak.jpg

The summary of the trip as per MID is as under:-

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-mid.jpg

The fuel expenses incurred as per tank to tank method is as under: -

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-fuel.jpg

The entire trip was uber-comfortable with the only hindrance being two punctures. The culprit for both were rouge nails.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-puncture-1.jpg

First puncture being attended at a roadside puncture shop somewhere between Gwalior and Indore.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-img20211224wa0002.jpg

The second puncture, which was plugged in Goa.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-puncture-2.jpg

Finally the smiles. BTW, they are still fresh after almost eight hours in the car!
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-rudy.jpg

Last edited by Prashant1286 : 25th January 2022 at 01:39.
Prashant1286 is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 01:37   #2
BHPian

Default re: Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

PART-2

Brief review for 2019 Hexa XTA.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-front-pic-gzb.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-side-pic-2-gzb.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-rear-pic-gzb.jpg

I do not know if I have done the right thing with buying a Hexa or not. This only time shall tell. In my humble opinion, this decision has been akin to saving the last of dinosaurs before they go extinct, for the Hexa is as bulky as a dinosaur and about to go extinct!

Having driven the Hexa for a significant distance and having spent an average of 10 hours in the cabin on a daily basis over a fortnight, hereís my brief review for the car. This review, of course, doesnít hold a candle to the brilliant official review of Hexa available on this esteemed forum. Still, I have tried to pen it down in Team BHP style.

What I Like.

1. Suspension Setup. One word- brilliant! This is one area for which I would like to personally give a pat on back to Tata engineering team. The ride is super comfortable on good roads, bad roads and even on no roads. I have experienced it on all of these while driving down the length of the country and you can take my word for it. I havenít experienced anything that rides this good at this price point. The handling is also not disappointing. Body roll is present but is well controlled for a vehicle of this size and weight. At no point, does this car give you a boat like feeling (something I experienced on a car I shortlisted for buying new).

2. Auto Gearbox. Another area where the car shines. Although it is a simple time tested 6 speed Torque convertor unit from Punch Powerglide, it has a lot of things going for it. For starters, the gearbox is better than the Hyundai sourced unit doing duty in the Safari. It has a Jekyll and Hyde character wherein it upshifts at approx. 1900 rpm with a light foot, at approx. 2300 rpm with a slightly heavy foot and it downshifts and holds gear till 3500 rpm when driven pedal to metal. Mind you, this is all in Auto mode and not Sport mode. The sport mode further enhances performance and is extremely useful in overtaking on undivided highways. I am yet to experience the ĎRace Carí sub mode so canít comment on it. The manual mode is just a novelty as I barely used it. Though it works as designed. The car doesnít have paddle shifters and honestly, I didnít miss them as the slushbox itself is too good.

3. Comfort and Space. The Hexa is a proper seven-seater and space is not at premium. The seats are supremely comfortable and offer adequate support. Although my car is a seven-seater, the captain seats for sure would be even more comfortable for the middle row. The splendid ride quality further enhances occupantís comfort and reduces fatigue on long journeys. There's ample space when the rear seats are folded for that holiday trip, outstation journey or airport run.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-rear-nashik.jpg

4. Interiors. Though she lacks a few modern bells and whistles, the Hexa has an interior which exudes quality and elegance. It is a well-designed interior, albeit with some quirks, which is likely to age well. If I were to be candid, in a few areas, the interiors of Hexa one up those of the Safari. (In my humble opinion and no offense to Safari owners. Comparing only because I was considering that car too).

5. Audio Setup. The 10 speaker JBL setup is worth the money and delivers great audio quality for almost all genres of music. The centre speaker on the dashboard augments the audio experience. The infotainment, though old school, has buttons placed logically. (I prefer buttons than all touch controls). However, it does miss out on a few useful features like android auto/ apple carplay. I donít miss absence of standalone navigation feature as I prefer to use google maps.

6. Engine. The Varicor 400 is the best engine Tata has ever made, period! Although it is an old school engine, it has its own charm. The engine is highly tractable and has acceptable NVH. While it is not extremely free revving, it does not hesitate to build up to 3800 rpm. I havenít tried to take it beyond this limit, so canít comment on high rpm characteristics of the engine.

7. Looks. The hexa is a looker, except for the side profile. The front 3/4 is the best angle to view the car and the rear 3/4 the next best. The side profile is slowly growing up on me, partly because of the character rendered by the 19-inch wheels. (More on the wheels later). Now whether this car is an SUV or MUV is a tricky question to answer. My take- It has the underpinnings of an SUV and clothing of an MUV.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-side-pic-chd.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-side-rear-34.jpg

What I Dislike.

1. Low Beam. One word- Horrible!
Notice how the area ahead of the driver (within the red box) is practically unlit .
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-headlight.jpg
This is one area wherein I would like to personally kick the engineering team. What were they thinking? I am okay with regular halogens but they need to serve the purpose. The low beam is so inadequate that it is a challenge to look out for obstructions on the road ahead at highway speeds. This is further deteriorated by presence of traffic in opposite lane, especially on undivided highways. I had a close shave on one occasion as I could not see an animal ahead.

2. Large Turning Radius. While I knew what I was getting into, I just could not comprehend how much of a difference this factor alone would make. Driving in narrow lanes is a chore. Most U turns now are three-point turns, some even four-point turns. Parking in narrow places requires patience and judgement. Although I am getting used to it, this is one part where I prefer my Swift.

3. Noise from HVAC Blower. While at lower fan speed, the noise is tolerable, at speeds above 4 for front and above 2 for rear, it is too intrusive in an otherwise quite cabin. The HVAC ducting could have been better designed by Tata engineers to limit the noise. The amazing audio setup masks this limitation to a certain extent.

4. No Proper Place to Keep Smartphones. This is an example of ergonomic flaw in an otherwise well-designed cabin and dashboard. I mean, how much would it take for Tata to design a proper storage space for keeping a smartphone? Even the cheaper cars from the same manufacturer have dedicated spaces.

5. No Telescopic Steering Adjustment. Another example of ergonomic flaw. If the steering were telescopically adjustable by a meagre two inches, it would have translated into the perfect driving position for me. (I am 5í8Ē and am keeping the seat to lowest height).

Minor Irritants. (Not sure if itís only with my car or all Hexas).

1. NVH at Idle. At idling RPM, the Varicor 400 is not the most refined engine and makes its presence felt. A slight touch of throttle, though, makes a world of difference. Also, there is a mild humming noise at idle which probably is from the loose engine cover. Will get it checked in next service.

2. No Auto Folding ORVMs. Though this part can be taken care of by updating the settings in BCM. This is another thing that I would get done in the nest service.

3. Key Comes out at all positions of gear lever. I thought it shout come out only at P or N positions. I request inputs from other members/ Hexa owners. Is this a normal behaviour?

4. Niggles. This being TATA, there are bound to be some niggles. The first one that I have noticed is that the RH middle seat is not stopped sliding ahead/back. Also, for the LH middle seat, the backrest can be folded but the tumble action doesnít happen at all. This is another thing that I shall get rectified in next service. I hope that it is a minor niggle and TATA honours the extended warranty for any parts which need replacement.

5. Occasional noisy gearshifts. The Slushbox is smooth in about 90-95% gear shifts. However, I have occasionally noticed a prominent Ďkach-kachí sound which comes from the engine compartment ahead of driverís side. It usually comes when the car is at low speeds under load and the slushbox upshifts at about 1900-2000 rpm (light foot driving). I request inputs from other members/ Hexa owners. Is this a normal behaviour?

6. The 19-inch alloys. Though they render a great stance to the side profile, they are not the best choice for our road conditions. The wheel and tyre combination is pressure sensitive and mandates maintaining the correct tyre pressure. This combination, for sure, can not take a beating and one needs to be mindful of this. Also, the change of tyres would be a costly affair in this size.

7. Certain misses like lack of Android Auto/ Apple Carplay (older HU), TPMS and the unwise cost cutting by Tata in the 2019 Hexas (Roof rails, 12-volt socket for 3rd row).

Parting Thoughts

There are times when we think and then act, while there are times when we act and then think. Buying this car was the latter. It was driven more by the desire to get a Hexa than a logical reasoning process.

As for the car, it has performed beautifully in the few thousand kilometers that I have used it for. There are a few misses and irritants but overall, itís a great car. I am hoping that it serves me well, doesnít end up with any major issues and takes me to new destinations with comfort and joy. After all, we BHPians do live to drive!
Prashant1286 is offline   (113) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Serendipity: Taking Home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

Congratulations, @Prashant1286 on taking the plunge.You have company in many bhpians that hold the Hexa, and many who hold the Safari Storme with the equivalent engine whose experiences will help you keep your steed in good stead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
1. Large Turning Radius.
2. Noise from HVAC Blower
I've experienced this large turning radius in even the good old Indica. In the Hexa, I think the large wheelbase is the reason for the large turning radius.

On the noise from the HVAC blower, any car's blower will get noisy at higher blower speeds. For some reassurance, you could just inspect and clean the blower fan vanes. There is nothing more one can do. I once found a small leaf in a blower that made it so noisy.

Quote:
Key Comes out at all positions of gear lever.I thought it shout come out only at P or N positions
Safety in automatics
From what I know, in most automatics, the key comes out only in the P position. Imagine a car that's parked in N with handbrake not deployed, and the driver pulls the key out and leaves the car unattended. The car can easily roll. Similarly, the key will turn the engine only in the N and P positions. Also, the gear lever will move out of P only if the brake is pressed. The only way to move the gear out of P is by pressing the shift lock button and simultaneously moving the gear lever out of P.

For the Hexa, the 235/70R16 tyres on the XE and XM is the best profile. I have seen many owners moving from steel rims to 16" alloys sporting this size. I faintly remember reading somewhere that the XT trims' wheels were trimmed to 235/65R17 sometime later in 2019.

Last edited by vigsom : 26th January 2022 at 08:48.
vigsom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 09:55   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

Quote:
Disclaimer: This is a relatively long post which deals with my decision to buy a discontinued car -the Hexa XTA, the buying experience and a brief review.
Wow! That's a very nice post on your purchase. I am happy that you were able to trust the gentleman. It is very rare now a days where we humans trust each others which ideally should be a natural instinct.

Coming to the car, it's a great deal for 12.15 lakhs especially with extended warranty. It's a nice car and though discontinued you will have service support. And the travel plan with family adds to the experience.

Congratulations! Wish you tons of happy miles on the Hexa.
Jude300 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Great review too. It has come out as a good pointer to anyone looking for a used Hexa. That gearbox tuning is one of the best under 50L. Of course those DSGs may be better but we all know their gremlins.

About the key coming out in all gears, I don't remember this happening in my car. If my memory serves right, it was locked in all gears other than P. In fact some of the owners in our group had to get the lock mechanism or some actuator in gearbox replaced because it would not come out even in P mode. I could be wrong though. Its been a while since I drove a Hexa.

About the sound during gear changes, it is the notorious engine gargle. Unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about it. In the initial days there was a software update meant to reduce this, but the word on the street then was that the update messed up the turbo and gearbox behaviour. So many of us chose not to do it. In my car it reduced a lot somewhere around the 30K kms mark. It was still there but not very evident. Or may be I got used to it enough to not care about it.

Wish you a great ownership experience ahead.

Last edited by vb-san : 26th January 2022 at 12:41. Reason: typo
padmrajravi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Pleasantly surprised to hear that TASS is better than Maruti. This is very reassuring as I will be taking delivery of Safari next week.
Torque_Cruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 11:02   #8
BHPian

Congratulations Prashant on getting as you said it perfectly "one of the last breed of dinosaurs going extinct".

You are very lucky to have found such a sparingly used example of the Hexa at such affordable price. Wishing you atleast a lakh of troublefree and super comfortable kms on the white Dino.

Coming to your query regarding the sound coming from the engine, well its the well known "gargling noise" coming from the turbocharger if I am not wrong. Tata had rolled out an update in 2018 which reduced it quite significantly and you should check whether your Hexa has that update installed. While you are at it also get the auto folding ORVMs activated.

As far as 19 inch tyres are concerned, my suggestion would be to maintain a pressure of 33 psi religiously as I have been following this practice for my Hexa and the tyres have not thrown any nasty surprises in almost 50k kms that they have run.

Also during the next service do check whether the wiper motor assembly, exhaust assembly have been changed as they are known to give up in Hexas from 2017/18 batch.

Once again heartiest congratulations on your purchase. Keep the forum updated on your life with the white Dino.

Last edited by ram87pune : 26th January 2022 at 11:10.
ram87pune is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 11:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Congratulations, @Prashant1286 on taking the plunge.

On the noise from the HVAC blower, you could just inspect and clean the blower fan vanes. I once found a small leaf in a blower that made it so noisy.

Safety in automatics
From what I know, in most automatics, the key comes out only in the P position. Similarly, the key will turn the engine only in the N and P positions.

I faintly remember reading somewhere that the XT trims' wheels were trimmed to 235/65R17 sometime later in 2019.
Thank you Vigsom for the kind words!

I shall inspect the blower fan vanes as you have suggested.

My understanding of safety in automatics is the same as yours. Unfortunately, in this car the key turns the engine off in all positions of gear lever including R and N (Haven't tried it in D) and comes out of the slot as well. The previous owner said that it is normal. I was under the impression that it should come out in P position only.

It's amongst the last batch of Hexas to have 19 inch wheels. Those manufactured a month later have 17 inch alloys with a design reminiscent of the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Wow! That's a very nice post on your purchase. I am happy that you were able to trust the gentleman. It is very rare now a days where we humans trust each others which ideally should be a natural instinct.
Thank you Jude 300.

The elderly gentleman was humble, kind and forthright during the entire process. That's how the trust could build up.

My experience with trusting people has generally been positive. Of course, there have been some aberrations, but those are just aberrations. It is us who make up the world and the world is still a good place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Congratulations. Great review too. It has come out as a good pointer to anyone looking for a used Hexa.

About the key coming out in all gears, I don't remember this happening in my car.

About the sound during gear changes, it is the notorious engine gargle.
Thank you Padmrajravi!

I shall get the key issue checked at TASS during the next servicing.

For the turbo-gargle, had heard of it but never realised that it is 'this' sound that I was facing. Thanks for the pointers. I think I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Congratulations Prashant on getting as you said it perfectly "one of the last breed of dinosaurs going extinct".

Coming to your query regarding the sound coming from the engine, well its the well known "gargling noise" coming from the turbocharger.

As far as 19 inch tyres are concerned, my suggestion would be to maintain a pressure of 33 psi religiously.

Also during the next service do check whether the wiper motor assembly, exhaust assembly have been changed as they are known to give up in Hexas from 2017/18 batch.
Thank you ram87pune for the kind words!

I shall check the version of ECU software during the next servicing. Will also get the BCM updated to enable autofold. I shall also get the wiper motor assembly checked.

This car does not have twin exhausts and has the modified assembly (atleast that's what TASS told me), still I shall get it checked.

Since the turbo-gargle noise is not much, maybe I can live with it. But I shall definitely get it checked during the next service.

For the tyre pressure, this is what the Owner's manual recommends:

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-tyre-pressure.jpg

I tried to maintain within this range during the drive except for one instant where the roadside puncture guy had inflated the tyres to 40 psi.

While 33 psi would surely be cushy, would it cause any adverse effect on these alloys since it is lower than what is recommended? Kindly throw some light on this aspect.

@ Mods: Thank you guys for moving it out of assembly line. It is indeed an honour for me and the beast to find a place on Team BHP homepage.
Prashant1286 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 13:40   #10
BHPian

It’s a great buy. My better half took a ride in my friend’s Hexa and came away thoroughly impressed. We recently took a test drive of the Tiguan and her only comment, as I extolled the virtues of AWD and cruise control was, it doesn’t feel like the Hexa! Hope they bring this back soon!
dingolphie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the Hexa! You've got a great deal on the Hexa for its vintage. And the passion shown by your family to choose the Hexa and to bring the car along all the way from Chandigarh to Coonoor is impressive! Plus there are some nuances with all the cars.

Regarding Android Auto, I think you can get an OE system which came with 2018 Hexas and fit it in your car.

Tyres, yes, for Indian roads I think 16" is the apt one as it gives sufficient cushioning, decent sidewall height and lower cost of tyre replacement. This is what made me downsize my EcoSport's alloys.

If you're open to downsizing the alloys, believe me, it'll offer you better peace of mind. Plus aftermarket alloys you have a ton of choices to make the hexa look even more sportier.

In Bangalore, Decently used Hexas were costing 3L more than 12L and so I had to drop the decision to get the Hexa home.

Could you share some light on re registration from CH registration or do you intend to drive with CH plates only. I had to drop so many good cars because Re registering to KA was costing me a bomb and negated the purpose of buying a used car.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th January 2022 at 15:34. Reason: Typos
jithin23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your Hexa. Welcome to the Limited Edition Club as this car itself is Limited Edition with only 30k units being made.
Coming to Niggles, I have run into the same problem with Seats. They get stuck and don't tumble forward. Had asked them to fix in 2nd service last week but the problem is back.
On the keys it should not come out when you are in D or R. Better check with TASS.
Rest are not major issues I feel. Wishing you lots of happy memories with this car. It truly is one heck of a car. Much better than the new Safari.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
While 33 psi would surely be cushy, would it cause any adverse effect on these alloys since it is lower than what is recommended? Kindly throw some light on this aspect.
Congratulations on buying a beast of a vehicle! This one was taken off the production line prematurely and deserves a rebirth.

Anything upto 30 PSI (lowest limit for normal driving routine) is ok, won't cause issues with alloys. The only downsides would be minor decrease in the mileage and increased tyre tread wear in the longer run.

Always fill air when tyres are cold. But since it's not always feasible and practical for everyone, make sure you fill 2-3 PSI more than what you usually fill it with if you're on the move.

Wishing you countless mile munching with this one!
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 15:13   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Prashant ! You have made an excellent choice. Although Hexa didn't click in the market, but people who have bought it, like myself, will always stick that it was the right decision. Handling of the car is also not so difficult once you get used to it. Visibity around the car makes it rather easy to drive than a hatchback (talking from my personal experience as I also have a Swift). I have taken my Hexa to very narrow lanes within city and also in ghat areas, passed through crowded market places without any issue. I am sure with time and use you will also start feeling strange when you drive your other low seating car. So wish you many many happy times with the new member in your garage.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Itís a great buy. My better half took a ride in my friendís Hexa and came away thoroughly impressed. Hope they bring this back soon!
Thanks dingolphie!

In my case as well, it was my better half who was more impressed with Hexa.

This car making it back to production line is wishful thinking. And I sincerely wish that it does come back in Auto AWD avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Congrats on the Hexa!

If you're open to downsizing the alloys, believe me, it'll offer you better peace of mind. Plus aftermarket alloys you have a ton of choices to make the hexa look even more sportier.

Could you share some light on re registration from CH registration or do you intend to drive with CH plates only.
Thanks jithin23! Love your Ecosport!

I am planning to keep the 19 inchers for now. Might downsize it later. Had it been an AWD, this was the first thing that I would have changed.

As for the registration part, it was simply a transfer of ownership. I am in Coonoor only for a few months and don't intend to register the car here. The car will probably spend most of her life in northern part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
Congratulations on buying a beast of a vehicle! This one was taken off the production line prematurely and deserves a rebirth.

Anything upto 30 PSI (lowest limit for normal driving routine) is ok, won't cause issues with alloys.
Thanks mav3r1ckblu3!

Rebirth is a wishful thinking for the Hexa, but let's hope that it does happen. Thank you for the pointers for tyre pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Congratulations on your Hexa. Welcome to the Limited Edition Club as this car itself is Limited Edition with only 30k units being made.

Coming to Niggles, I have run into the same problem with Seats. They get stuck and don't tumble forward. Had asked them to fix in 2nd service last week but the problem is back.

On the keys it should not come out when you are in D or R. Better check with TASS.
Thank you busydrive! I like your positivity. I too shall think of this car as a limited edition and not discontinued model now.

Sad to know that there is no permanent fix to the seat tumble issue.

Could you please elaborate what could be wrong with the middle row seat and what did TASS do in first place to fix it in your case?

Will get the key issue checked soon. The car is still in original warranty till end of February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile_Breaker View Post
Congratulations Prashant ! You have made an excellent choice. Although Hexa didn't click in the market, but people who have bought it, like myself, will always stick that it was the right decision.
Thanks Mile_Breaker! Means a lot to hear it from a fellow Hexa owner.
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed