Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2022, 11:20   #46

re: 2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!

One year of Blissful ownership and now an itch to modify/personalise my Navarro Baby

It’s been almost one year of absolutely blissful ownership of my Navarro Blue Premium Plus A4 B9.5 . Thanks to team bhp got to know about the great deals on the A4 last year and within a week of reading about it I pulled the trigger and the A4 was home.

Now with a nice year end bonus due there’s an itch to modify my A4. Needed some advice from fellow members on the following:

1 - Want to upsize to 18 inch wheels, while I find the power of the A4 to be adequate in normal day to day driving I hate the suspension and ride when driving it hard. It feels like a boat!. The family loves this plush ride but I hate it. I believe by upgrading to 18’s it would be a bit stiffer and better handling. Am I right in my thinking? Also would you advice to go for only Audi OEM wheels or would it be ok to go for after market ones (given Audi specific wheel mounts).

2- Also thinking of getting an APR ecu flash- do you think this is worth it, I am told this can give me a boost of about 20-25 bhp more. Given that I am actually fine with the current 190 odd horses is this worth risking the warranty on the car. (Bought 5 year warranty with the car). My heart always wants more horses

3 - an absolute outside option is move to 330i M sports, given the stupidity of the current car market I am getting some insane pricing for my Audi. Would be loosing about 8% on the car but there is hardly any discounts on the 330i, my rational minds says this is a stupid option given the 330i M sport is much smaller from inside and only I would be happy with it, family already hates it plus I would be loosing money on a perfectly great car and would be doing something that only I want. Need some external counselling from fellow members to be rational
Carcases is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 17:05   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: 2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcases View Post

One year of Blissful ownership and now an itch to modify/personalise my Navarro Baby

Yours would be the 4th Navarra Blue facelifted B9 on the forum, this just keeps getting better

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-img20220716wa0021.jpg

Quote:
Now with a nice year end bonus due there’s an itch to modify my A4.
I'd recommend saving the moolah for the fuel, its gotten cheaper but still not free

Quote:
1 - Want to upsize to 18 inch wheels, while I find the power of the A4 to be adequate in normal day to day driving I hate the suspension and ride when driving it hard. It feels like a boat!. The family loves this plush ride but I hate it. I believe by upgrading to 18’s it would be a bit stiffer and better handling. Am I right in my thinking? Also would you advice to go for only Audi OEM wheels or would it be ok to go for after market ones (given Audi specific wheel mounts).
The A4s handling is more of a byproduct of the suspension setup, weight of the engine at the furthest point in the front and typical FWD characteristics. I doubt switching to larger wheels and tires will change much as the Indian spec A4 is fundamentally setup to offer more of a pliant ride than be outright sporty. That said at speeds this side of 100-120 the satisfaction of turning the steering wheel is unmatched.

Quote:
2- Also thinking of getting an APR ecu flash- do you think this is worth it, I am told this can give me a boost of about 20-25 bhp more. Given that I am actually fine with the current 190 odd horses is this worth risking the warranty on the car. (Bought 5 year warranty with the car). My heart always wants more horses
For the city I find 125 - 150 Bhp just right. 190 Bhp on this motor is already an overkill for regular use. Save the upgrades at mid life cycle (typically 4-5 years if you keep your cars for long). That will also let you have your 5 year warranty intact which otherwise will be a pain to go through with any VAG group car.

Quote:
3 - an absolute outside option is move to 330i M sports, given the stupidity of the current car market I am getting some insane pricing for my Audi. Would be loosing about 8% on the car but there is hardly any discounts on the 330i, my rational minds says this is a stupid option given the 330i M sport is much smaller from inside and only I would be happy with it, family already hates it plus I would be loosing money on a perfectly great car and would be doing something that only I want. Need some external counselling from fellow members to be rational
The 330i v/s FWD A4 is simply a case of superior driving dynamics and more power v/s larger boot space, better cabin space, comfortable ride, nicer cabin, better ground clearance and 10 lac odd in savings (probably 20 since you would be trading in the A4 ). Pick your feature set and enjoy whatever you end up doing.
manson is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 18:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Now with a nice year end bonus due there’s an itch to modify my A4. Needed some advice from fellow members on the following:

The biggest gripe I had with the car during initial ownership was the constant traction control symbol flashing on the display. My driving style is not aggressive.

Over the 6 months I was away from home, I did a lot of research on how to fixing this. The best solution is to install the Quattro system. This would mean re-coding the gearbox, changing the rear differential and changing most of the rear suspension. This is better left for a project car.

The simplest option is to get the best tyres to transfer all that power to the front wheels and have a stiff side wall to improve handling.
So even though my car had done only 3k Km on stock tyres I changed the tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-new-tyres.jpg

The levels of grip now are phenomenal. No more spinning of the wheels and the handling has improved considerably. The SUV comfort is gone. Ride is harsher and not appreciated by the family.
The tyre swap was sufficient for my use case.
gungax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 20:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Yours would be the 4th Navarra Blue facelifted B9 on the forum, this just keeps getting better
Thanks Manson, hoping to see a few more. Your original post back in Sept 2021 and Ostreichwein being able to get the Audi with warranty in some mouth watering prices got me to call Audi and close on the A4. The deal was irresistible!

Quote:
The A4s handling is more of a byproduct of the suspension setup, weight of the engine at the furthest point in the front and typical FWD characteristics. I doubt switching to larger wheels and tires will change much as the Indian spec A4 is fundamentally setup to offer more of a pliant ride than be outright sporty. That said at speeds this side of 100-120 the satisfaction of turning the steering wheel is unmatched.
I agree that upsizing may not change the dynamics. My heart is set on a new pair of shoes for my baby on it’s first birth day in Sept. Will keep you’ll updated on the design and if it made any difference.

Quote:
For the city I find 125 - 150 Bhp just right. 190 Bhp on this motor is already an overkill for regular use. Save the upgrades at mid life cycle (typically 4-5 years if you keep your cars for long). That will also let you have your 5 year warranty intact which otherwise will be a pain to go through with any VAG group car.
Completely agree right now I don’t feel the need to have more horses will wait on this for a mid life refresh

Quote:
The 330i v/s FWD A4 is simply a case of superior driving dynamics and more power v/s larger boot space, better cabin space, comfortable ride, nicer cabin, better ground clearance and 10 lac odd in savings (probably 20 since you would be trading in the A4 ). Pick your feature set and enjoy whatever you end up doing.
Ah! I needed this rational view, my minds not been able to come to terms on putting in another 20 big ones for a smaller car with a bit more horsepower which I don’t need, even if it may drive a tad bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post
The simplest option is to get the best tyres to transfer all that power to the front wheels and have a stiff side wall to improve handling.
So even though my car had done only 3k Km on stock tyres I changed the tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
Thanks gungax- this is reassuring, I am now committed to upsizing and moving to the Michelin Pilots- will update you all in Sept. once I do this

Here’s a pic of my Navarro Blue baby:
2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-audi-a4-final.jpeg

Last edited by manson : 18th July 2022 at 19:52.
Carcases is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 19:51   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post
Attachment 2335220

The levels of grip now are phenomenal. No more spinning of the wheels and the handling has improved considerably. The SUV comfort is gone. Ride is harsher and not appreciated by the family.
The tyre swap was sufficient for my use case.
The switch to Michelin tires after wearing out the stock set was inevitable but if you insist that it would cost me the ride comfort there is a higher chance I'd just stick the same stock for replacement. That is however procrastination for another day, for now I'm glad you're happier with the better handling with the Michelins

Quote:
Thanks Manson, hoping to see a few more. Your original post back in Sept 2021 and Ostreichwein being able to get the Audi with warranty in some mouth watering prices got me to call Audi and close on the A4. The deal was irresistible!
Sweet! Its good to know our online banter helped you snatch a terrific deal. This is precisely why its better to share information on the public forum than private messages. Given that I've almost never missed spotting the facelifted A4 (especially in Navarra blue) in the recent past I'd give it 80% chance of having spotted your car at some point too!

Here's a picture of my car from yesterday's spin:
2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-img_20220717_121556.jpg

Last edited by manson : 18th July 2022 at 20:27.
manson is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 10:57   #51
BHPian

Going by your location which is Mumbai, I do not see any road where you can utilize the entire 190bhp. Plus with the speed restrictions on most roads in the city and on highways, I see no point in performance mods. Plus you will also loose the 5 year warranty you got.

Bigger tires in Mumbai is big NO! The road conditions right now are pathetic with the rains and so much work on-going for the coastal road and metro. Your ride will not only become stiff but you are also risking the chance of bending rims on lower profile tires which will become a perennial issue.

The A4 is no slouch with 190 bhp and the facelifted one is a sure looker. I would say enjoy the same till the warranty period and once over, look at performance upgrades.
BHPjunkie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 11:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
The switch to Michelin tires after wearing out the stock set was inevitable but if you insist that it would cost me the ride comfort there is a higher chance I'd just stick the same stock for replacement. That is however procrastination for another day, for now I'm glad you're happier with the better handling with the Michelins
Having completed one thousand kilometres on the new tyres, the ride is definitely stiffer. However the core strength of the car is the comfort provided by the suspension and this still holds true. The little additional Stiffness is mostly on broken city roads.

A larger set of alloys will reduce the ride comfort even further and hence move the car away from its core strength which is comfort.

The 190HP coupled with the grippy tyres makes this a nice drive on highway and on mountain roads. I tried to push the car past it's threshold to understeer when climbing up hairpin bends, but haven't been able to loose grip.
gungax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 14:42   #53

Quote:
Given that I've almost never missed spotting the facelifted A4 (especially in Navarra blue) in the recent past I'd give it 80% chance of having spotted your car at some point too!
Funny you say that because I have been doing the same thing. Initially given the uniqueness of the A4 B9.5 the car spotters at Worli would take pics, now however with increasing sales I spot more and more of the A4’s. The other day I spotted Autocar India’s Renuka Kirpalani driving a white Audi A4 B9.5 Seemed like her own vehicle and not a media one given it’s been more than a year since launch and Audi wouldn’t be doing media for the A4 now.
Old 24th July 2022, 17:05   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Initially given the uniqueness of the A4 B9.5 the car spotters at Worli would take pics, now however with increasing sales I spot more and more of the A4’s.
The posts on A4 and A6 prices on the forum have surely woken the Audi sales team from their slumber

Quote:
The other day I spotted Autocar India’s Renuka Kirpalani driving a white Audi A4 B9.5 Seemed like her own vehicle and not a media one given it’s been more than a year since launch and Audi wouldn’t be doing media for the A4 now.
Yup, she too got one in December last year. It felt like a reaffirmation given her experience and exposure to the luxury segment:
2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-screenshot_20220724165655.jpg

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2022 at 17:11.
manson is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 13:34   #55
BHPian

12000 KM Update

The trusted A4 has completed almost 12000 kilometres within 8 months. The car is performing flawlessly. No problems with it at all. The engine is ultra refined and is really lowering the driving fatigue of my father. It can cruise at 100kph all day long effortlessly which means you come out feeling as fresh as when you started.

The FE it has returned over the course of our ownership has been really good at 12.3 kmpl which is huge for a 2 litre turbocharged petrol. It is driven with a very light foot most of the times though.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-20220810_204446.jpg

The headlamp washer on the right side hasn't gone back inside after operation twice now randomly. A small push on it and it retracts again. Might be some friction in the mechanism. We have not been able to reproduce that though.

The indirect TPMS proved its utility during a recent highway run where one tyre had lost a bit of pressure.

The car is a looker at night with its lights and certainly attracts some attention. The A4 and A6 look uncannily similar from the rear at night. Good for the A4, bad for the A6 I suppose?

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-picsart_220814_132448468.jpg

We are coming up on the service interval at 15000 kilometres. Let us see whether we complete 15k kilometres first or the car's first birthday before that.

Cheers!
sauravpat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:10   #56
BHPian

14500 km and 1st Service Update

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-fron_edit.jpg

Our A4 went in for its first service yesterday. Routine jobs like Oil changes and filter changes were carried out. The service center also took care of the headlamp washer mechanism not retracting back sometimes for no extra cost. The washing was adequate. The bill came out to Rs.22k. This was in line with my expectation so no complaints.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-current_odo.jpg
Current odo reading

However, the initial estimate sent to me was very high and unnecessarily inflated. I had to ask for an explanation for some of the items post which they were removed immediately. It looks like I will have to check the items carefully every time since my parents won't bother to check.

GOA TRIP

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-rear_hotel.jpg
Ready to go out!

Took the A4 to Goa last weekend from Pune. Amboli ghat was extremely beautiful and we had no fatigue after 8.5 hours.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-amboli_monke.jpg
Monkey business

The quietness of the cabin and superlative ride meant that the whole ride was a breeze.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-beautiful-maha.jpg
Beautiful Maharashtra

The width of the car did pose some problems on the small single lane roads where I wished it had a 360 degree camera.

A 30 km stretch before the Amboli ghat is completely washed away because of the rains and has monstrous potholes and craters. The A4 did not scrape itself even once on these roads. We did not need to slow down too much or baby the car even over these roads due to the firm suspension setup.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-interior.jpg

Hypermiling with the A4:

I drove from Pune to Kolhapur in the morning with a very light foot and used cruise control at every opportunity. Once you set the cruise control at 80 kmph and put the car in efficiency mode, the mild hybrid system and auto start-stop system kick in and cutoff the engine on every level and downhill stretch of the highway. You basically coast along at 80kmph and the engine only turns on when you encounter an uphill stretch.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-hypermiling.jpg

You see this as the car goes silent and the revs fall to 0 rpm.

I was able to achieve a quite frankly staggering 22.7 kmpl over 220 kilometers.

Never expected a 2 Litre turbo petrol in a big car to cross the 20 kmpl mark. It is certainly possible with a lot of patience. Just make sure not to fall asleep!

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-front_quarter.jpg

Summary:

9 months on, the A4 is chugging along at a good pace with 14.5k kilometers under its belt. Apart from the headlamp washer niggle, there have been no issues and that was taken care of immediately as well.

It has been a great experience so far. Hoping it stays the same way. The A4 has made multiple trips to Nashik, Ahmednagar, Kolhapur, Mumbai and one trip to Goa (850km), and one big Coastal Karnataka trip (1700km).

It has scraped its bottom just once over all these roads. We have also suffered the first dents and scrapes on the car and the initial honeymoon period has worn off. It has very well justified our decision to buy the A4 since it really is a great allrounder.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-lights.jpg

More fuel efficient than the Kodiaq, Tiguan, Superb as well. No rattles or issues. We have been using normal 91-octane petrol. We are planning to switch to XP95 when the EP20 fuels are introduced.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-pongo.jpg
Our dog running around the A4

Considering that the price of the Premium variant has increased by a whopping 3 lakhs in these 9 months and that the Kodiaq and Superb top end variants are more expensive than the price at which we bought this car, it is turning out to be decently good value for money as well.

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-side.jpg
Looks quite sporty, doesn't it?

Cheers!

Sauravpat
sauravpat is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:33   #57
BHPian

Re: 2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!

Hi,
I have been eyeing Audi A4 for purchase but I am not sure about the maintainence cost. Since you have been a proud Audi owner (I owned a VW) so the service interval must be 1 yr or 10k kms right ? What is the average maintainence cost for regular servicing that you car has gone far so far ?
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:51   #58
BHPian

Re: 2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hi,
I have been eyeing Audi A4 for purchase but I am not sure about the maintainence cost. Since you have been a proud Audi owner (I owned a VW) so the service interval must be 1 yr or 10k kms right ? What is the average maintainence cost for regular servicing that you car has gone far so far ?
This was just our first service with the Audi. So can't comment on the average maintenance cost.

I have heard it will be around 45-50k per year for the first 5 years after which it climbs to around 1 lakh a year.

Service interval is 1 year or 15000 km.

Our older Jetta at the end of its 6 years and 125,000 kms also got a service bill of around 30-35k for its last 2 services. So it's certainly not exorbitant. Shouldn't be unless something major goes wrong after warranty.
Old 23rd October 2022, 00:29   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
This was just our first service with the Audi. So can't comment on the average maintenance cost.

I have heard it will be around 45-50k per year for the first 5 years after which it climbs to around 1 lakh a year.

Service interval is 1 year or 15000 km.

Our older Jetta at the end of its 6 years and 125,000 kms also got a service bill of around 30-35k for its last 2 services. So it's certainly not exorbitant. Shouldn't be unless something major goes wrong after warranty.
Are you using audi connect? As, it has been a month since we purchased our car and we were offered complimentary audi connect. The sale representative had himself registered our car on audi connect, uploading all the required details, but the weird thing is that our audi connect account hasn't been activated yet. Even after multiple calls to the helpline numbers, each and every time we got the answer that they are having some server issue and that is the reason no new audi connect user has been able to activate their respective accounts since last 2 mths. A very lethargic approach in my opinion by such a reputed company.
petrol_head_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
14500 km and 1st Service Update
Good to see that your A4 is really doing the rounds like a proper family/work luxury car . And to add, your experiments with the "efficiency" mode are really exploring the good limits of what this car can achieve!

A first service bill of 22k is actually quite reasonable. I think every alternate service routine tends to get costly with the A4, based on what I have heard from the SA.

Quote:

2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!-side.jpg

Looks quite sporty, doesn't it?
Maybe 10 seconds more, and yes, I would have given a thumbs up to this picture
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks