Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 17:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review

Congratulations on your purchase! Amazing in depth write up. I20 N line looks good, personally I like the front and the side looks. Enjoy the drive and keep sharing your experience with the car.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 19:58   #17
BHPian

Congrats Chirag! Your car looks smashing! Wishing you many happy miles!
tejascshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 22:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Chirag for the wonderful review and intricate details. Great choice of colour and car. Wish you many miles and years of a happy ownership.

The car is really a stunner! And the FE seems to be very good for a city like Bangalore, where most petrols give single-digit FE.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 23:02   #19
BHPian

Re: Our first car comes home: Hyundai i20 N Line DCT

Many congratulations on the car dear Chirag! I am in a similar boat now that the offices plan to open up. However, looks like I'll be eating heads for some more time now before the D-day comes. So, plenty of sleepless nights continue for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Introduction

A budget was set to Rs. 10 lakh and the search for a new car to give company to the faithful Ritz began, resulting in many sleepless nights. By the end of the search, my family wanted me to buy some car and stop eating their heads.

The main criteria was that I wanted a small hatchback that is fun to drive, handles well, has some essential features, and is reliable. I also want to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years.
This looks like the showroom in Basavanagudi, right? Did none of the showrooms (I know one Blue Hyundai in Mysore Road and one Pavan Hyundai in Kanakapura Road) offer anything? I am quite surprised! And yes, the taxes in KA are terrifying. In this segment alone, you end up paying almost 1-1.5L extra on road compared to many other states.

Quote:

Introduction

No discounts or freebies were offered at all, not even carpets and mud flaps. The showroom straightaway offered a discount on insurance and told me that I could get insurance from outside if it is cheaper. They later matched the quote I got outside. The total price of the car, including 4th year warranty (will buy for 5 years later), and 5-year shield of trust came up to Rs. 14.88L (thanks to KA road tax )

There were a few minor scratches in the bonnet and we took it to the service centre on Mysore Road to polish it out and to meet the service managers. The service managers were courteous and very friendly during that interaction and when I took the car for its first service.
chaosengine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 10:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-n-line.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 5th April 2022 at 10:46.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:26   #21
BHPian

Congratulations Chirag! The blue is a great choice!

My favourite bits of the N-Line are the front nose and the front seats.

On the flip side I wish the interior lighting was a bit more tasteful and the wheel design a bit less complex! And Hyundai should have included the powder blue N-Line colour for India. If an Alto and S-presso can be sold in nice shades of blue, so can Hyundai on their most popular hatchback!

But I thank Hyundai for bringing a car that enthusiasts can rejoice with! It's great to see the N-Line owners meet.

As clearly visible in your well documented post filled with great pictures (), you are clearly having a blast with your new ride! Wish you many many memorable and joyous drives!
tunedv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 15:47   #22
BHPian

Congrats Chirag. Wonderful review, well written. I loved reading every word of it.

I got the same car, same color in October 2021, so I can appreciate a lot of what you have written about. I have loved every minute with it - it is such a lovely car, except it is dearly priced. But once behind that wheel, I forget every cons there is! It is such a practical car too. Large on the inside, seating 5 comfortably, and small on the outside, easy to drive in the city and park as well. A hoot to drive in the hills and highways. I find myself ignoring my 2015 Thar a bit after I got her :-) . I sold my Linea T-Jet to make space in the garage, I had to get go of the T-Jet due to lack of a service center and any good mechanics in this area.

By the way, are you thinking of going for Michelin Pilot Sport in due course? I am thinking of 205 55 R16 - not right now, but in due time. Or Yokohamas S-Drives.

Wishing you many happy motoring miles.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Many Many congratulations on your purchase of the N Line, happy miles to go!

One quick thought: Have you considering remapping the car for additional gains of power?
aamishdhingra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 18:41   #24
BHPian

Amazing car, could not belive i20 would cost 15 big ones. We had a petrol 2012 model and I remember it was bought for 5.XX which seemed a lot that time.

We replaced it with a MT Venue which has the same engine as yours but I have never seen FE in 2 digits in last 12-13000 kilometres. It seems DCT is helping you with keeping the fuel costs low. Totally agree with the lag, it is very prominent on MT as well and can catch unsuspecting peolple off guard on a speed-breaker.

Have fun with the car and I hope this will last you for years, Hyundai's are fairly easy to own as long as you keep up with maintenance. The size/power is perfect to travel across India for a small family!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 00:52   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on your new drive! Glad you had a good experience with Blue Hyundai. My experience with them while picking up my Elite i20 was horrendous. The sales guy by the name of Vijay Kumar was so Ill mannered and full of lies. Even basic thing like checking the car in the stockyard was denied. I picked the passion orange colour and the same was displayed in the showroom. In order to make sure that I don't receive the display car I took a picture of the vin and insisted on a PDI of the allocated car. They kept delaying when I kept following up with them. When they realised that I was a tough but to crack they got the car to the showroom and made me do the PDI in their service bay. The only way the guy could vent his frustration was to misbehave. I would never ever go back to them to get a car.

Last edited by samuelv : 6th April 2022 at 00:52. Reason: Spelling mistake
samuelv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 09:36   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Hyundai i20 NLine DCT. I had also brought home the same model last month and have completed some 1000 kms until now. I agree with all your points. The engine/DCT combination of the car which is generally considered as its weakest point is surprisingly fun when driven in manual mode. The mid range is healthy and the car does hold on to the selected gear for quite some time. The default drive mode feels more like ECO mode to me, while the sport mode feels more like what should have been the default mode.

Quote:
Unlike what many people say, I do like using the in-built navigation at times. Google Maps gives a better, shorter route and you can also use it to get locations from Whatsapp. But unlike Google Maps, the inbuilt navigation clearly displays and tells you which road to take which I find very useful and navigating new roads becomes less confusing (GMaps just says continue straight without mentioning which section of road to take). Because of this reason, I use both GMaps and the in-built system depending on the requirement:
Attachment 2279345
How did you get the system to show this view? I would like to have this view too.

Quote:
...while the throw of the high beam is also good, but I would have liked better intensity. The illumination feels insufficient:
Attachment 2278799
These LED lights feels to me to be the weakest link of the car. The high beam is weak and on a highway drive on a rainy night, the lights are completely washed out. The halogen fog lights are far more useful in those conditions!
abhijeet080808 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Quick question - why do you find the front arm rest useless?
As mentioned in the review, I am too short That's why I find it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Brilliant writeup Chirag and once again congratulations on your N-line buddy

Wish you many many more rev-happy and safe motoring miles Chirag.
Thanks Vikram. It was nice meeting you and taking a look at your GT TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Very well presented review, Chirag. Read the review in detail as I'm in a similar dilemma. I'm torn between the Polo (at this point, only the "Legend" edition is available) and the Nline, primarily to be used by my wife for commuting, but would also, at least once in a while, serve highway duties, taking over from the Yeti. AT hatch is the ask.

I believe it's to accommodate the Active driver assistant camera & rain sensor in EU. The EU version of the i20 Nline gets features such as Auto emergency braking, Lane keep assist, Forward collision assist and Blind spot detection among other goodies that we miss (Eg. Full Underbody cladding, Proper 8 parking sensors - front & back instead of the 2 poverty spec that we're offered, Updated instruments console, lights with High Beam assist, better engine, etc. etc.)
I feel overall the N Line is a better package, even with the cost cutting measures.

Ah, thanks for this. They should have modified the position of the IRVM in the Indian spec car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
Congrats Chirag! Your car looks smashing! Wishing you many happy miles!
Thanks Tejas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosengine View Post
Many congratulations on the car dear Chirag!

This looks like the showroom in Basavanagudi, right? Did none of the showrooms (I know one Blue Hyundai in Mysore Road and one Pavan Hyundai in Kanakapura Road) offer anything? I am quite surprised! And yes, the taxes in KA are terrifying. In this segment alone, you end up paying almost 1-1.5L extra on road compared to many other states.
Yes this is the Basavanagudi showroom. I did not try Blue Hyundai in Mysore Road. I checked with Advaith and Trident - same story everywhere - there was no car in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedv8 View Post
Congratulations Chirag! The blue is a great choice!

As clearly visible in your well documented post filled with great pictures (), you are clearly having a blast with your new ride! Wish you many many memorable and joyous drives!
Thanks a lot Vivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Congrats Chirag. Wonderful review, well written. I loved reading every word of it.

By the way, are you thinking of going for Michelin Pilot Sport in due course? I am thinking of 205 55 R16 - not right now, but in due time. Or Yokohamas S-Drives.

Wishing you many happy motoring miles.
Thanks. Yes, I am considering once I hit 20-30k km. Not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
Many Many congratulations on your purchase of the N Line, happy miles to go!

One quick thought: Have you considering remapping the car for additional gains of power?
Many have asked me this. The thought is lingering in the back of my head. But I may not do it until the extended warranty runs out. Also, I am a bit worried about DCT failures and what effect the remap will have on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Amazing car, could not belive i20 would cost 15 big ones. We had a petrol 2012 model and I remember it was bought for 5.XX which seemed a lot that time.

We replaced it with a MT Venue which has the same engine as yours but I have never seen FE in 2 digits in last 12-13000 kilometres. It seems DCT is helping you with keeping the fuel costs low. Totally agree with the lag, it is very prominent on MT as well and can catch unsuspecting peolple off guard on a speed-breaker.

Have fun with the car and I hope this will last you for years, Hyundai's are fairly easy to own as long as you keep up with maintenance. The size/power is perfect to travel across India for a small family!
Thanks. Yes, cars have become expensive. My friend's Venue pictured in the review is also a 1.0 turbo-petrol MT. He has the same complaint on the FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelv View Post
Congratulations on your new drive! Glad you had a good experience with Blue Hyundai. My experience with them while picking up my Elite i20 was horrendous. The sales guy by the name of Vijay Kumar was so Ill mannered and full of lies. Even basic thing like checking the car in the stockyard was denied. I picked the passion orange colour and the same was displayed in the showroom. In order to make sure that I don't receive the display car I took a picture of the vin and insisted on a PDI of the allocated car. They kept delaying when I kept following up with them. When they realised that I was a tough but to crack they got the car to the showroom and made me do the PDI in their service bay. The only way the guy could vent his frustration was to misbehave. I would never ever go back to them to get a car.
I have heard poor reviews on Blue Hyundai, but looks like they may have stepped up the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
Congratulations on the new Hyundai i20 NLine DCT. I had also brought home the same model last month and have completed some 1000 kms until now. How did you get the system to show this view? I would like to have this view too.
Thanks and congrats on your car too. This view automatically comes up when required if you are using the in-built navigation system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excommunicado View Post
Anyways, congrats on your ride brother! The colour is lovely. Your effort in compiling this review is top-notch. Keep sliding past everyone in city traffic. Stay safe and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Congratulations Chirag on your new "Key to Happiness". The details in the review are awesome. Shows your pedigree of professional reviewing. Enjoy hours of driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! Amazing in depth write up. I20 N line looks good, personally I like the front and the side looks. Enjoy the drive and keep sharing your experience with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congratulations Chirag for the wonderful review and intricate details. Great choice of colour and car. Wish you many miles and years of a happy ownership.
Thank you guys!
ChiragM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 21:27   #28
BHPian

Great review!
Congrats on your acquisition.

I hope some day Hyundai launches i20 N with the proper engine for which the line was designed
Surya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:52   #29
BHPian

I have just an unrelated question. What software, if at all you use to darken the pics and show just the headlights/DRLs? In camera exposure setting doesn't cut it. Can we also do this in a video?
Surya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 20:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai i20 N Line DCT

What I like

• Lovely 1.0L turbo-petrol and DCT combo
• Enjoyable exhaust note

What I don't

• Hyundai has deleted some features from the i20 Asta like air purifier and eco coating
• Small annoying cost-cutting measures

Excellent review.

Totally agree with your likes and dislikes regarding the car.. I requested adding Air purifier - they said not possible

Happy motoring to you.

I’m awaiting my N Line delivery on Tuesday.. Starry night colour.
a_bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks