What I like

• Lovely 1.0L turbo-petrol and DCT combo
• Enjoyable exhaust note
• High-speed stability, negligible body roll, heavier steering
• Loaded with more than you can use features
• Quality and fit and finish of the interiors
• Blue Hyundai's sales experience and after-sales service so far

What I don't

• Hyundai has deleted some features from the i20 Asta like air purifier and eco coating
• Small annoying cost-cutting measures
• Lack of essentials like 60:40 split seats
• Expensive to buy, especially in Bangalore
• Over sensitive brakes at slow speeds resulting in jerks
• High-speed stability over mid-corner bumps

Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-opening-pic.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 4th April 2022 at 00:31.
ChiragM is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 21:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our first car comes home: Hyundai i20 N Line DCT

Introduction

Living in Mumbai, I never felt the need for a car due to Uber, and parking issues in the city. Access to media cars which came in for reviews meant that I could regularly drive to keep myself happy. Due to this, I kept postponing buying a car for myself, something that I've always wanted. Fast forward to 2020, the pandemic ensured that I moved back home to Bangalore. I had the 2010 Maruti Ritz at home at my disposal whenever I had to head out somewhere or just wanted to drive. I love driving the Ritz, the 1.2L K Series ensured that drives in the city kept me happy. Unlike newer Marutis, the Ritz is pretty heavy and is really stable out on the highway. Meanwhile, my father-in-law bought a WagonR 1.2L. Once I changed my job and started heading to office everyday, the need for a second car arose as dad was forced to use his two-wheeler. A budget was set to Rs. 10 lakh and the search for a new car to give company to the faithful Ritz began, resulting in many sleepless nights. By the end of the search, my family wanted me to buy some car and stop eating their heads.

The main criteria was that I wanted a small hatchback that is fun to drive, handles well, has some essential features, and is reliable. I also want to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years. Options considered:

Maruti Ignis: Around Rs. 8.5L on-road

I did not like the Ignis when I first saw it at the 2016 Auto Expo. However, the facelift piqued my interest. I liked the looks of the car, the features and loved the 1.2L K Series engine. I remember heading to a Maruti showroom to pick up an S-Cross 1.5 for a review and spent a considerable amount of time ogling the Ignis on display. It was this car I had decided to buy. I had even decided on the colour (Nexa Blue) and the variant (Alpha MT). The car was also well within my budget. However, I started thinking twice since the Ritz is going to stay and we had two cars with the same engine at home. I wanted a change and I thought I would get bored with this quickly / regret my purchase. Decided to stretch our budget and get a car from the next segment. We started looking at other cars, but the Ignis was always the fallback option. I would still say that this is one of the cars to buy if your budget is less than 10 lakhs.

Ford EcoSport: Was less than 15L on-road

Safe to say that if Ford had'nt left India, this would have been in my garage right now. Ford was the first showroom we went to after Maruti to check out the Figo, Aspire, Freestyle and the EcoSport. I wanted to buy the S TDCi.

Volkswagen Polo: Around Rs. 10L on-road

I was a bit hesitant as it is still the same old car on sale in India. Dad wanted to buy it back in 2010. Still, thanks to its lovely engine and dynamics, I gave it a try. The new 1.0L engine put a wide grin on my face but was immediately rejected by my wife as it felt too old on the inside.

Hyundai i10 turbo: Around Rs. 9.5L on-road

A cheaper, but newer option compared to the Polo. I strongly considered getting one of these, but it never felt to be value for money. The main drawback with this car is the 2-star NCAP rating, and the fact that it is not based on the top-end variant (I don't understand why Hyundai couldn't give this engine with the Asta). The turbo variant loses out on essential features like rear wash-wipe and ISOFIX seats, which to me, did not feel like a car I could keep for 10 years.

Hyundai Venue: Around Rs.15L on-road

Wife liked the Venue when she first saw it on the road. I took a test drive of the diesel as there was no petrol MT available (only iMT) and I did not want the DCT. The clutch travel was long and for a short guy like me, I did not get a comfortable driving position, my shin kept hitting the bottom of the dashboard. Being a crossover, there was some amount of body roll, expected but something I did not want in my car. The rear seat space was not that great and the steering was all over the place (could be an issue with the abused test car). I also did not like the front looks a lot, felt it lacked street presence. It also felt like it was too expensive for what it offered.

Other compact SUVs

Other SUVs I considered were the Sonet diesel AT (too expensive) and the Mahindra XUV300 (too expensive, lack of boot space, and white interiors).

Hyundai i20

The i20 was initially never in my list thanks to those horrible interiors and DCT gearbox. Checked out the i20 diesel but immediately decided that we cannot live with that interior and 4-spoke steering. I would have gone for the N Line without second thoughts had there been a manual but the DCT's long term reliability kept me from it. But I decided to test drive and it took just 1 drive to convince me that this was the car. Being a Hyundai, I hope the gearbox is more reliable than the VW Groups'. I also learnt that Hyundai has tweaked the gearbox after inital overheating and failure issues cropped up. This is not an aggressive box like the VW's and is tuned towards long term reliability. Took a leap of faith and in December 2021, we decided to go with the car. When compared to the Venue which retails at an equivalent price, the i20 had a more spacious rear seat, handled better and got more features.

My interaction was with Blue Hyundai and the sales agent there was courteous throughout the Venue and N Line test drives and answered all my questions. We never really had any issues with them through the entire process. After checking out a few colours in the stockyard, we decided to go the blue car, but there was no stock available. I was told that the next batch of cars would come only in Jan 2022 after the price hike. The story was the same with other dealers in Bangalore. We did not want the dual-tone as this was already a stretch of budget, and a black roof would make it too expensive. However, on 21st evening, we were informed that a DT blue N Line DCT was on the way to their stockyard. Since a price hike would push prices even further, we decided to go ahead. Booking amount was paid on 22nd and the car reached the stockyard the same day. I did the PDI on 23rd morning and the entire amount was transferred later that day. The VIN told me that the car was manufactured on 14th December. The car was delivered to us on 26th of December with a temporary registration as I was waiting for KA government to implement BH Series. Permanent registration was done in Jan 2022 after KA announced that private-sector employees are not eligible for BH.

No discounts or freebies were offered at all, not even carpets and mud flaps. The showroom straightaway offered a discount on insurance and told me that I could get insurance from outside if it is cheaper. They later matched the quote I got outside. The total price of the car, including 4th year warranty (will buy for 5 years later), and 5-year shield of trust came up to Rs. 14.88L (thanks to KA road tax )

Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-delivery.jpg

There were a few minor scratches in the bonnet and we took it to the service centre on Mysore Road to polish it out and to meet the service managers. The service managers were courteous and very friendly during that interaction and when I took the car for its first service.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th April 2022 at 17:07. Reason: As requested
ChiragM is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 23:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Exterior

Pictures don't do justice to this colour, it looks much better in flesh than in pictures. The new bumper, muscular bonnet, and those headlamps lend the N Line an aggressive look, and good road presence (much better than the similarly-priced Venue). As expected, the paint quality and fit and finish are good. All doors have a good weight to them, so no complaints on the build quality front:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-1.jpg

Thankfully, unlike the regular i20, the N Line gets minimal chrome on the outside. Other differentiating characteristics include new alloys and a red stripe on the side skirts. There's no i20 branding on the side skirts like you get in the regular car:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-2.jpg

Looks good from the back too, again much better in flesh than in pictures. Those twin exhaust pipes instantly give away the car's sporty nature:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-3.jpg

The N Line gets a chequered flag design grille finished in gloss black, while the front lip spoiler gets a red stripe. Hyundai has taken all possible measures to highlight the car's sporty characteristics:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-4.jpg

Too many cuts and creases around the fog lamps. Also notice the small gap between the grille and the front bumper. All this is a nightmare to keep clean (I've given up). The fog lamps, which get chrome surrounds, are bright and have good throw. Note the chequered flag detailing on the grille:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-5.jpg

Just like the top-end i20, the N Line N8 comes with automatic LED headlights with LED DRLs and cornering lights (found these very useful on certain occasions). The inside of the cluster has hexagonal design pattern, a part of which can be seen in this pic. Also note the i20 badge on the outer edge of the cluster:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-7.jpg

A look at all the lights in action:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-8.jpg

The low beam throw and intensity is good...
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-9.jpg

...while the throw of the high beam is also good, but I would have liked better intensity. The illumination feels insufficient:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-10.jpg

DRLs are bright and prominent, even during the day, and adds to the car's aggressive stance:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-11.jpg

The N Line gets black ORVMs with integrated turn indicators. They auto-unfold when you walk up to the car and auto fold when you lock it:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-12.jpg

Puddle lamps below the ORVMs switch on when you walk up to the car:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-13.jpg

The N Line gets 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels shod with 195/55 Ceat SecuraDrive rubber. The front brake calipers are painted red. Also note the N Line badge on the front fender:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-14.jpg

Glad to see disc brakes at the rear as well:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-15.jpg

No chrome door handles here. The driver's door gets request sensors:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-16.jpg

Fuel flap is neatly integrated into the tail light design. Note the dots to open the flap and the i20 branding on the tail lights:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-17.jpg

Sunroof brings in much-needed light into what is a very dark cabin. If its not too hot, I usually drive with the manual cover open to bring in some much-needed light into the cabin:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-18.jpg

Top half of the tailgate above the tail lights is finished in gloss black and there's a chrome bar running the width of the car (I don't like the red border alongside the chrome bar). Only the N8 gets a rear wiper and washer. A N Line badge sits where the variant badges are placed in the regular i20:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-19.jpg

Black rear spoiler and side wings just like the regular i20. It gets different aero elements compared to the standard i20. A shark fin antenna has been provided:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-20.jpg

A look at the wraparound LED tail lamps:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-21.jpg

With all the lights in action. I like the Z-shaped lights at night:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-22.jpg

The rear bumper gets parking sensors and a reverse camera above the number plate. The diffuser is finished in gloss black and also houses the highlight of the N Line's rear - double-barrel exhaust:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-23.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd April 2022 at 22:00.
ChiragM is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interior Front

I would never have bought the N Line if it had the same interior as the regular car. Thankfully, this gets a different steering wheel and red highlights. It is still not great, my wife hates the horizontal slats on the passenger side. No soft-touch plastics here, but the quality is good and the interior feels well put together (much better than the likes of the Kushaq whose plastics are rough to touch):

The steering wheel is from the i20 N and is lovely to hold. Looks much better than the 4-spoke wheel on the regular car and livens up the interior. It comes with red contrast stitching and N logo. The hornpad is a little bit of stretch for thumbs of shorter people, my thumb sometimes slips and hits the steering-mounted controls. The horn itself is loud:

Audio, telephone and voice control buttons on the left, and cruise control and MID buttons on the right. Love that the paddle shifters are long making them engaging to use. Voice control works well and I use it to make phone calls; it can also be used to open/close sunroof and driver's window:

Tilt and telescopic steering adjust have been provided:

Good clarity, sharp digital instrument cluster. I wanted a car with analogue dials but ended up with this. I usually just see the digital readouts:

Usual MID displays include trip meter and drive info. Highline TPMS has been provided. MID also displays range and outside temperature:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-6.jpg

Different navigation displays that pop-up on the MID:

Pop-ups for new music/radio station, and headlights, front and rear wiper when settings are changed:

MID also displays rear parking sensor, open doors, boot, bonnet and sunroof. The device in wireless charger warning comes after you switch off the car:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-9.png

Engine start/stop button, traction control, driver rear-view monitor (I don't use it much but I believe some people like this feature) and headlight leveller switches are placed to the right of the driver:

View the ORVM provides of the action behind:

Tweeters are placed on the front doors:

The horizontal slats continue on the all-black doorpads. It gets grey door handles and red inserts on the armrest:

A look at the Bose speakers on the front doors. The door pockets, which get ambient lighting, can hold water bottles and some knick-knacks:

Usual power window console switches. Only the front driver door window control is lit at night. Hyundai should have avoided this cost-cutting, I struggle to find the lock/unlock and other buttons at night. The armrest gets a red insert and ambient lighting:

Leather seats look good with the red highlights and offer good support to the driver and front passenger when you throw the car into the corners, but I feel that taller drivers may complain of a lack of under-thigh support. Seats are height adjustable; I would have liked ventilated seats as well instead of some other features which I rarely use:

Small adjustable armrest has been provided. Absolutely useless for me. Also note the red piping and contrast stitching on the seats:

The N8 variant is equipped with 6 airbags. Adjustable seatbelts have been provided:

10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with navigation is offered only on the N8 variant. Android Auto and CarPlay have been provided, but lower variants get wireless connectivity which the larger screen in the N8 does not. Homescreen is divided into three sections. It is user friendly and offers a seamless experience:

Unlike what many people say, I do like using the in-built navigation at times. Google Maps gives a better, shorter route and you can also use it to get locations from Whatsapp. But unlike Google Maps, the inbuilt navigation clearly displays and tells you which road to take which I find very useful and navigating new roads becomes less confusing (GMaps just says continue straight without mentioning which section of road to take). Because of this reason, I use both GMaps and the in-built system depending on the requirement:

Rear camera clarity is good, both during the day and at night. Dynamic guidelines are provided:

Automatic climate control is provided. What I like is that physical buttons are given:

2 USB ports, a 12V port and wireless charger. The USB port on the left is for Android Auto while the USB port on the right is a fast charger:

Cup holders on the centre console:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-24.jpg

A nice, useable storage space under the centre armrest:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-25.jpg

Roof bezel contains controls for the cabin lights, sunroof and has a sunglass holder. Press the lights to turn them on and off:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-26.jpg

Auto-dimming IRVM (really wanted this feature thanks to the tons of people who use highbeam in the city) gets BlueLink controls:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-27.jpg

Glovebox is cooled. The temperature will be the same as that set in the climate control:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-28.jpg

Passenger sunvisor gets a mirror:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-29.jpg

A BOSE amplifier is placed under the front passenger seat. The audio quality is pretty good for my requirements:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-30.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd April 2022 at 22:12.
ChiragM is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 00:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Interior Rear

A look at the rear doorpad. It is largely similar to the front door pad. The rear doorpads do not get ambient lighting:

Unlike sub-4m crossovers like the Venue, the rear seat in the i20 is wide and can seat five abreast. There is enough legroom and two 6-footers can easily sit behind the other, but taller people may find the under-thigh support lacking. Headroom is good as well even for tall folks. Two adjustable headrests have been provided. The rear seat also gets ISOFIX child seat anchors:

The area where your foot / shin area would meet the front seat is soft:

Rear centre armrest does not get any cupholder:

Spring-loaded grab handles with coat hooks have been provided on both sides:

A single cabin lap has been provided at the centre for rear passengers:

Rear AC vents with red highlights:

Below the AC vents, there is a smartphone holder and a USB charger:

311L of boot space is lesser than some of its rivals:

With the rear seats folded down. The i20 does not get a very practical feature - 60:40 split seats, which I really wanted and use in other cars at home. Disappointing! When folded down, the rear bench does not create a flat floor:

Parcel tray comes with recessed areas and prominent borders to keep things in place:

Boot light along with bag hooks are provided:

Tie-down hooks are also provided:

The boot houses a Bose sub-woofer:

Spare wheel with tools in a bag. The spare wheel is a 15-inch wheel with 185/65 section tyre:

All-black cabin gets dark roof lining. Wish Hyundai had given the roof lining from the regular car to brighten things up in the cabin. This also heats up the cabin a lot:

Another really poor cost-cutting measure from Hyundai. The sides of the boot above the tail light cluster have not been fully painted. I've seen cars with only the primer in areas which you normally do not see, but this is in-your-face and in a place that you open regularly and definitely notice:

Here's how the interior looks at night with the red ambient lighting and back-lit switches:

Red ambient lighting and a single back-lit switch on the driver's door. Makes it very difficult to find the controls you need in the dark. These cost cutting measures

Bluelink is offered for free for three years:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-bluelink.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd April 2022 at 22:15.
ChiragM is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Driving the i20 N Line Turbo-petrol DCT

Engine and Gearbox

Powering the N Line is a 998cc, 3-cylinder turbo petrol engine producing 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm @ 1,500-4,000 rpm. This is the same as the regular i20 and this makes it more powerful than the Polo TSI with equivalent torque. The car weighs 1086 kg, which brings the power-to-weight ratio to 109 BHP/ton and the torque-to-weight ratio to 158 Nm/ton. The engine is paired to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Start the car and you immediately feel vibrations on start-up, but it settles down and you can feel mild vibrations only when you pay attention. You can feel vibrations on engine shutdown as well. Slot the gear lever into D and the car starts creeping forward. In city speeds, with a light foot, the gearbox upshifts quickly keeping efficiency in mind, I've observed upshifts at around 2,000 rpm. There is a bit of lag though below 2,000 rpm which may get irritating but it is something that you learn to live with as the kilometres pile on. This can mainly be an issue at crossroads. The gearshifts, when driven with a light foot, are extremely quick, smooth and cannot be perceived. As mentioned in reviews, the gearbox will not shift to D1 until the car almost comes to a standstill. Some amount of engine braking is offered in D mode. Kickdown response time is also a lot slower in D mode, the steering paddles will help in such situations. While you can use the paddles to take manual control of the gearbox, it takes back control and puts the gearbox back in D mode at the slightest opportunity, it will not let you hold on to gears for long. In the city, the engine is extremely silent, and this combined with the quick and smooth DCT, makes for a very relaxing drive.

Out on the open road, I keep the gearbox in S mode. The S mode keeps the engine in its power band (keeps it above 2,000 rpm) making sure you get instant power when you need it. The gearbox reacts quicker to throttle inputs than in D mode. S mode holds on to gears longer, downshifts aggressively and provides good engine braking. This 1.0-litre turbo petrol has a punchy mid-range and you can quickly reach speeds that cannot be mentioned here. The punchy mid-range is helpful while overtaking and also ensures that there is a smile on your face on the open road. The engine revs all the way to around 6,500 rpm, but the mid-range is best. Power delivery is very linear, more family-friendly, and not explosive like the Polo's 1.0L TSI. S mode shifts the gears exactly when I want it to, minimizing the use of paddles for me. But its best to use paddles in this mode rather than in D. At higher rpms, the engine sounds nice, and this was appreciated by some family members as well.

Hyundai has tuned the DCT conservatively, I guess keeping long term reliability in mind. I have not tried launching the car from a standstill but I believe the car will not let you do that.

While wind noise at 100 km/h is well controlled, there is some road noise. Both wheel-wells are partially clad.

Exhaust

Appreciate what Hyundai has done with the exhaust in the N Line. You can regularly hear pops, bangs and growls, even with windows up. That being said, the best way to enjoy the exhaust is in the city, in D mode, and with the music off. It sounds best between 1,000-2,000 rpm. You will hear some noises at around 2,500 rpm, but it is best enjoyed at lower rpm. I enjoy city drives thanks to the exhaust note. I must mention that climbing enclosed places like a mall parking is when you truly enjoy and appreciate Hyundai's work on the exhaust.

Out on the highway, with the gearbox in S mode, the aggressive downshifts give out some nice aural pleasures. Other than that, I haven't enjoyed the exhaust notes on the highway. That said, I have had a few compliments on the exhaust note on highway drives from rear seat passengers.

Here's how the stock exhaust sounds at low revvs. In this video, the revs have been limited to 2,300 rpm:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb5Qd...dium=copy_link

Ride and Handling

The N Line carries over the same suspension setup as the regular i20, but the dampers have been stiffened by 30%. The suspension feels firm in the city, do not expect a cushy ride. At the same time, it is not too uncomfortable. Sharp portholes and speed bumps result in a thud noise from the front suspension if taken at anything over 5 km/h. However, this firm suspension translates into really good expressway stability even at high speeds. Expressway joints do not faze it at all when travelling in a straight line. The stiffened dampers have made body roll negligible, which means you can happily throw it into corners at speed. Where this suspension lacks is due to the stock springs. Mid-corner bumps like expressway joints on curves unsettle it even at decent city speeds. At 120 km/h on expressway joints on curves, the car is far from stable.

As soon as you set off, you will notice that the steering is heavier than other Hyundais. On the open road, it feels precise in the corners and well-weighted and confidence-inspiring on the highways.

Disc brakes at both ends offer good stopping power at any speed. But at slow crawling speeds, they feel way too sharp leading to jerks. This will take a lot of getting used to.

Everyone recommends a tyre upgrade as soon as you buy the car, but I decided to hold on to the stock tires for a while before upgrading. So far, I have not had many issues with the grip offered by the Ceat SecuraDrive rubber, but an upgrade would definitely make things better. The tyre is also noisy. So, do you have to upgrade the tyres - no, but it would be better to do so.

A look at the engine bay:

No underbody protection is provided. I would like to add this for my car:

No under-bonnet insulation:

Leather-wrapped gear knob with N lettering and red stripe looks lovely:

Silver insert on the side of the gear knob:

Sporty metal pedals:

The IRVM is placed too low and could affect visibility. Not sure why Hyundai has placed it so low when there is space on top. The low IRVM along with the floating touchscreen makes it feel too tight for space, although the touchscreen does not hamper visibility:

One of the highlights of the N Line, the exhaust:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-exhaust.jpg

Fuel efficiency

Coming to something Indians care about a lot. I get around 400 km range on a full tank (usually just above 400). The average efficiency so far is 12.3 km/l in the city, pushing on the highways and ghat section drives. if you drive calmly on the highways, it will give you good mileage. I have seen it go up to almost 19 km/l. In the city, I am getting around 11 km/l. Here are screenshots of my Fuelio app:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-mileage-1.jpg
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-mileage-2.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 4th April 2022 at 00:29.
ChiragM is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 20:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some Pics

The day we got the car home:

Key to Happiness:

Wife chose this sticker since it goes with the colour theme:

With my dad's Maruti Ritz:

With my in-laws Maruti WagonR 1.2L:

As soon as we got it registered and got the number plate attached:

Somewhere in the Western Ghats:

In Karwar:

Photoshoot time:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-opening-copy.jpg

With my friend's Ciaz:

With my friend's Ciaz, BHPian RahulNagaraj's Seltos, and a Sonet:

With BHPians suhaas307's Laura and Vid6639's 3 Series:

Two warm hatchbacks tuned for enthusiasts. With BHPian Chetan_Rao's Tiago JTP. blackwasp, need a pic with your Abarth as well:

With a friend and Team-BHP fan's Venue. He let me drive his fairly new Venue when I was in the deciding phase

BHPian tunedv8's Kushaq which he bought used with only 200 km on the odo. Lovely pic by tunedv8:

With BHPian Vik0728's Polo GT TDI:

Old vs new:

Some rolling shots and other pics taken by dhaneesh.shankar at an N Line owner's meet in Bangalore:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-24.jpg

Leading the pack:
Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-25.jpg

Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-26.jpg

Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review-27.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 4th April 2022 at 00:34.
ChiragM is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 05:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Our first car comes home | Hyundai i20 N Line DCT | Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, wish you many miles of safe drive.

Quick question - why do you find the front arm rest useless?

Different tastes, but for me the interiors (design and layout) is one among the strongest point of i20. It is minimalist and has a decent quality. By the way I like Polo interiors too.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Congrats ChiragM for your newly acquired pocket-rocket. i20 N-Line is the best hatchback on sale in the Indian market right now. I wish it had some competition from Honda or VW but it is unfortunate how this segment has been overlooked for close to a decade now.
The i20 N8 DCT is the undisputed king until VW steps in (seems unlikely) or Altroz DCA geta more power. We can't be expecting much from Honda. They have forsaken us.
Anyways, congrats on your ride brother! The colour is lovely. Your effort in compiling this review is top-notch. Keep sliding past everyone in city traffic. Stay safe and have fun!
Excommunicado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, the new i20 looks fantastic. Nothing even comes close IMO in the segment, even with so many lines, cuts and twists it manages to look good. Hyundai has really come a long way around. If i was in the market for a hatch , it would be definitely my choice !
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Hyundai i20 N Line DCT

Brilliant writeup Chirag and once again congratulations on your N-line buddy

Glad that I was able to catch up for a short quick meet, and thank you for letting me in on a spin as well. The interiors is where I think much of your moolah goes, as it actually screams premium. This shade of the N-line is also my favorite and those red exterior highlights only accentuates its stance.
Incidentally, after our meetup, I saw couple of white N-line, but somehow didn't appeal as much as this blue.

During a short spin I noticed that the car is very well insulated and masks the speed very well with all you windows up. Acceleration is pretty linear but it covers the distance quite rapidly. But by far my favourite thing about this hatch are those nice downshift growls

Wish you many many more rev-happy and safe motoring miles Chirag.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:54   #13
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review. Thanks for sharing your experience. I would like request you to edit the pictures and remove/blur the number plates. There are some some horror stories here about misusing the number plates.
edunata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:29   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Chirag on your new "Key to Happiness". The details in the review are awesome. Shows your pedigree of professional reviewing. Enjoy hours of driving
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 17:24   #15
BHPian

Very well presented review, Chirag. Read the review in detail as I'm in a similar dilemma. I'm torn between the Polo (at this point, only the "Legend" edition is available) and the Nline, primarily to be used by my wife for commuting, but would also, at least once in a while, serve highway duties, taking over from the Yeti. AT hatch is the ask.

Between the two, the Nline is filled to the brim with goodies and is definitely the better overall package and an easier/more comfortable car to live with. The Polo, to be put simply, is archaic. However I have reservations around the i20's safety credentials TBH. Pushing the front doors with the thumb flexes it (interestingly similar behavior with the Slavia *facepalm*) + Hyundai has a track record of skimping on sheet metal quality of Indian cars. The lack of any underbody cladding (not even as a paid accessory) is a cause of concern - Exposed DCT = Expensive repaid bills? As you pointed out too, there are quite a few glaring omissions done to cut costs which, at the price point, is pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The IRVM is placed too low and could affect visibility. Not sure why Hyundai has placed it so low when there is space on top.
I believe it's to accommodate the Active driver assistant camera & rain sensor in EU. The EU version of the i20 Nline gets features such as Auto emergency braking, Lane keep assist, Forward collision assist and Blind spot detection among other goodies that we miss (Eg. Full Underbody cladding, Proper 8 parking sensors - front & back instead of the 2 poverty spec that we're offered, Updated instruments console, lights with High Beam assist, better engine, etc. etc.)

Last edited by nerd1200 : 4th April 2022 at 17:38.
nerd1200 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks