Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 22:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Thats weird.

All the magnums, i saw so far, had that "milk mustache". The mangnum in anusham's pic dosn't have them. Is that an LT only feature?!?!
Whats the Milk Mustache ?
Old 11th June 2007, 22:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
what's a milk moustache???
I was referring to the stainless steel bar just above the grille. It is not in the mangum in this pic. Have a look at their site. The magnum featured there has it!!!

Yes it does look bad IMO.

Last edited by gkrishn : 11th June 2007 at 22:20.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Thats weird.All the magnums, i saw so far, had that "milk mustache". The mangnum in anusham's pic dosn't have them. Is that an LT only feature?!?!
They probably revised the design by that much as a last minute decision (even that sounds wierd). It can not be an LT only feature either. If you look at the pics closely the black one is a LT and yet it does not feature that chrome lip (I think that is what they call it and not the milk moustache Lol).
Old 11th June 2007, 22:56   #34
BHPian

Wonder why they treat Indians like this.

I was waiting for so long to trade in my GTX for this car but what a let down it has been. I have probably gone through enough material about the OPTRA to right a thesis on its diesel engine. I wonder why they treat INDIANS with such contempt. All over the world they provide customers of the diesel OPTRA with the engine that comes on the CAPTIVA with 150bhp and variable geometry turbo charger but when it comes to our shores they give us only 121bhp. Its beyond me why they do this to INDIANS when they know very well as to the penetration of the internet among the INDIAN car buying populace. Guess I will have to wait it out for the LINEA to fulfill my dreams of a high torque, high revving diesel engine. I agree this OPTRA engine will be bullet proof with the reduced power output but I am gnashing my teeth at the treatment we INDIANS have to put up with. Do these GM guys still think of us as a third world country who have no access o the internet.

Green Car Congress: Chevrolet Europe to Highlight Diesel Announcements at Paris Show
Chevrolet Optra Diesel Details, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Price , Comparison - Automotive at MaxAbout.com
Chevrolet's New SUV at Straight Frm The Heart
Daewoo-made Chevrolet Captiva SUV - car magazine, auto reviews at motiontrends.com
Holden Captiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chevrolet's New Captiva SUV Debuts At Geneva Motor Show
CARSCOOP

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 11th June 2007 at 23:00.
Old 11th June 2007, 23:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

drpullkuran - I really dont understand what you are cribbing about, no where is the Optra sold with a 150bhp engine, if you want it spend extra on Petes Digital Tuning Box and get it, nothint to make fuss about as GM is giving us the car in a higher set of tune then anywhere else. And the Captiva is quite heavy and has a bigger Turbo for 150bhp.
Old 11th June 2007, 23:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I was waiting for so long to trade in my GTX for this car but what a let down it has been. I have probably gone through enough material about the OPTRA to right a thesis on its diesel engine. I wonder why they treat INDIANS with such contempt. All over the world they provide customers of the diesel OPTRA with the engine that comes on the CAPTIVA with 150bhp and variable geometry turbo charger but when it comes to our shores they give us only 121bhp. Its beyond me why they do this to INDIANS when they know very well as to the penetration of the internet among the INDIAN car buying populace. Guess I will have to wait it out for the LINEA to fulfill my dreams of a high torque, high revving diesel engine. I agree this OPTRA engine will be bullet proof with the reduced power output but I am gnashing my teeth at the treatment we INDIANS have to put up with. Do these GM guys still think of us as a third world country who have no access o the internet.

Green Car Congress: Chevrolet Europe to Highlight Diesel Announcements at Paris Show
Chevrolet Optra Diesel Details, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Price , Comparison - Automotive at MaxAbout.com
Chevrolet's New SUV at Straight Frm The Heart
Daewoo-made Chevrolet Captiva SUV - car magazine, auto reviews at motiontrends.com
Holden Captiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chevrolet's New Captiva SUV Debuts At Geneva Motor Show
CARSCOOP

So Dr., you are going to give up 121 bhp and 314 N-m of torque for 90 bhp and 200 N-m of torque, this I cannot understand. Especially when you seem to care about engine specifications. And for all you know, the Linea may come detuned also.

Btw, the Captiva is almost 400 kgs heavier than the Optra.
Old 12th June 2007, 00:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Linea isn't likely to come with the 1.9 16-valve 150 bhp head either. In most probability it will be 90 bhp 1.3 JTD with Variable Geometry Turbo. Even if the 1.9 makes an appearence, my guess is it will be in the 8-valve format with in its highest state of tune (again most likely not to come to India) makes 130 bhp. So Is there anything worth waiting for in terms of sheer numbers. Well I know handling and Ride are going to be the other points, but that alone cannot sell a car.
Old 12th June 2007, 09:09   #38
BANNED

From what I know, the same Optra engine is available in Korea and few other countries with a few more horsepower but definitely not 150. Could you please tell your source for 150 hp Captiva engine Optra?
Old 12th June 2007, 09:35   #39
BHPian

I thought it is not even 121bhp but PS.

cheers!
Old 12th June 2007, 10:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does it Beat the Verna 0-100?
I think some waiting Fiat fans are going to be converted (given that most of them are waiting for the 1.9 JTD and know if eventually that arrives it will only arrive in its 8-valve offering).
i dont think the fiat fans will be converted....i think the wait for linea will be worthwhile
Old 12th June 2007, 10:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
What more do you want me to tell you about the engine ??
No offence buddy..!
I'm just desperate to know more about its performance after reading the engine spec
Old 12th June 2007, 10:19   #42
Team-BHP Support

milk mustache is for the top end version only and somehow i like the type 1 front end compared to the current and previous model
Old 12th June 2007, 10:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does it Beat the Verna 0-100?
I think some waiting Fiat fans are going to be converted (given that most of them are waiting for the 1.9 JTD and know if eventually that arrives it will only arrive in its 8-valve offering).
0-100 in 9.8 yes , Verna is atleast 2 secs behind MAGNUM (name really suits the engine character )!
Old 12th June 2007, 12:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Something which me and Dr. are talking over PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran
2007 Chevrolet Epica - Top Speed
I believe the EPICA is a wee bit smaller than the OPTRA and is similar to the Suzuki SX4 and yet it gets the 150 bhp version.
Your false beliefs will lead no where, the Epica is much much bigger then the Optra, its a full sized D segment car made for competition with the Accord and the Camry, it coming in India for a price tag of 15lacs.

Quoting from the link you gave me.
Quote:
As standard, the powerful diesel (maximum torque: 310 Nm at 2,000 rpm) is mated with a manual five-speed gearbox, but it can optionally also be paired with an automatic transmission. The Epica Diesel travels from 0-100 km/h in just 9.7 secs
Indian Optra Magnum = 315NM and 0 - 100 in 9.8secs, does that tell you summin, yes the Epica is much heavier then the Optra and performs the same and hence needs a bigger 150bhp engine.If you wish check internation prices of Epica and Optra and you will know which is bigger and since Captiva and Epica is bigger they need the bigger engine, so GM is not at all taking any one for a ride.

Quote:
Well I know handling and Ride are going to be the other points, but that alone cannot sell a car.
Ride of the Linea is a strong point not the handling.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Why is the color of the fuel lid looking different in the second picture or is it my eyes only.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed