Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 01:10   #91
BHPian

good review dude . short specific and good.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:26   #92
BHPian

Hello all i got my optra magnum LT (top end model) on 11th 2 days after it was launched and had unofficial delivery because rto approval came only today and i should say the car is worth 11.66 lakhs we also have a hyundai snoata and a skoda laura (i have owned 12 cars in the past 19 years)and i feel this is the best out of the three the power is mind blowing the ride is excellent unlike other disel cars which have a stiff suspension and the interiors are comparable to a 20 lakh car the engine is super smooth The car rocks and i am in love with it( now i know what I love my chevy means) for those who have their silly reasons and theories its their loss for not buying it
MY ADVICE-if u are looking for a car in the 9 to 16 lakh bracket this is the best 1 go for it
Old 18th June 2007, 18:44   #93
BHPian

Hey there dockap. Congrats on the new car. I know its a bit early to ask since she's brand new, but can you give us some fuel efficiency figures as of now.
Old 18th June 2007, 19:46   #94
BANNED

Just curious to know how good the performance of Magnum is compared to Swift DDiS.Been driving my friend's swift lately and WOW .. jus started hating my Corolla!! Looking forward to cash in on Accord V6 but yes at 12L the Magnum sounds interesting at 120HP n also on a special note

Accord V6 - 220BHP , 0-100 at 9.2 Sec
Magnum - 120BHP , 0-100 at 9.8 Sec

With all that 100BHP difference... 8Lakhs for 0.6Sec quicker sounds very expensive!!!
Old 18th June 2007, 20:23   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Just curious to know how good the performance of Magnum is compared to Swift DDiS.Been driving my friend's swift lately and WOW .. jus started hating my Corolla!! Looking forward to cash in on Accord V6 but yes at 12L the Magnum sounds interesting at 120HP n also on a special note

Accord V6 - 220BHP , 0-100 at 9.2 Sec
Magnum - 120BHP , 0-100 at 9.8 Sec

With all that 100BHP difference... 8Lakhs for 0.6Sec quicker sounds very expensive!!!
0-100 isnt the only thing thats better in the accord. its bigger, for one. the 0-100 would be alot better in the v6 had it been a manual.
Old 18th June 2007, 21:55   #96
BHPian

Hey guys i cant give you the fuel effiency figure right now cause the tank capacity is 65 liters (will take me at least 3 weeks to empty that much fuel ) but company source said it should be 14kms/ltr thats not bad for the power u get and comapring it with the swift its like comparing a maruthi 800 to a esteem dont mistake me swift is a good car but this is way better actually i wanted to buy a swift D and test drove 1 but the waiting period of 3 to 6 months put me off so i booked a verna crdi sx abs and was promised deliver in 7 days which turned into 50 days so when this car came out i test drove it and it was love at first drive and well what the hell made full payment on the spot and purchased the first car in karnataka(i still plan on buying a swift D to replace my tata indica)
Old 19th June 2007, 08:41   #97
BHPian

Rating of the three cars mentioned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hello all i got my optra magnum LT (top end model) on 11th 2 days after it was launched and had unofficial delivery because rto approval came only today and i should say the car is worth 11.66 lakhs we also have a hyundai snoata and a skoda laura (i have owned 12 cars in the past 19 years)and i feel this is the best out of the three the power is mind blowing the ride is excellent unlike other disel cars which have a stiff suspension and the interiors are comparable to a 20 lakh car the engine is super smooth The car rocks and i am in love with it( now i know what I love my chevy means) for those who have their silly reasons and theories its their loss for not buying it
MY ADVICE-if u are looking for a car in the 9 to 16 lakh bracket this is the best 1 go for it
Its quite interesting when you mention that having owned and driven the three cars mentioned, you rate the magnum the best. It would certainly be helpful if you could specify the models in each case (the old sonata or embera - diesel or petrol?) and then rate the three on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) for these three cars on
1. Performance
2. City driving experience
3. Highway driving experience
4. Safety - braking etc.
5. After sales support
6. Backseat comfort
7. Boot space
8. Aircon performance
9. FE
10. Ride quality - suspension
11. VFM

and any others that you can think off..
Old 19th June 2007, 10:02   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hey guys i cant give you the fuel effiency figure right now cause the tank capacity is 65 liters (will take me at least 3 weeks to empty that much fuel ) but company source said it should be 14kms/ltr thats not bad for the power u get and comapring it with the swift its like comparing a maruthi 800 to a esteem dont mistake me swift is a good car but this is way better actually i wanted to buy a swift D and test drove 1 but the waiting period of 3 to 6 months put me off so i booked a verna crdi sx abs and was promised deliver in 7 days which turned into 50 days so when this car came out i test drove it and it was love at first drive and well what the hell made full payment on the spot and purchased the first car in karnataka(i still plan on buying a swift D to replace my tata indica)
Great...so everything happens for the best.

BTW, can you confirm if Magnum has VGT or FGT?
Old 19th June 2007, 10:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

at 11L, isn't it competing directly with the Elantra diesel?
Old 19th June 2007, 18:00   #100
BHPian

Hello again,I am not a tecnical person but i think magnum is not vgt and at 11 lakh its competing with the octavia ,elantra & corolla and about rating the sonata(old sonata),laura(elegance) and magnum on a 1 to 10 scale its as follows-sonata,laura,magnum in this order
Performance-6,9,10
city driving-6,7,10
highway driving-8,10,10
safty & braking-8,10,9
after sales support-8,6,9
back seat comfort-10,6,9
boot space-10,8,8
aircon performance-8,10,8
FE-4,10,8
ride & suspension-10,8,10
VFM-4,9,10
So as per rating on the above 11 criteria total of 110 points

Sonata(old sonata gold)-82
Skoda Laura(Elegance)-93
Optra Magnum(LT)-101
Old 20th June 2007, 06:42   #101
BHPian

finally managed my test drive. the car seriously blew me away snaps and full report coming up later on in the day.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:23   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL, looks like the Magnum already has a strong fan following! The Optra was always a good allrounder and provided value (especially with the 1.6). This is one car that I hope to test-drive in the near future.

Buttttttttttttttttttttt why did GM wait so long? They could have launched the Magnum 3 years back and Skoda would suddenly have not looked as happy.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

I feel the looks now need a little revamp!!
Like the Octavia this is also now 3+ years old, so to be selling well in the market.
Skoda has built an Image for its sturdyness and dependabilty, and it sure is strong built, and considered more prestige!! in India.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:09   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buttttttttttttttttttttt why did GM wait so long? They could have launched the Magnum 3 years back and Skoda would suddenly have not looked as happy.
Atleast they did it NOW. What about Honda. Someday they have to get their diesel stuff here. But when?

They have Spark, U-VA, Aveo, SRV, Tavera, Optra and decent service network to back it up.
GM seem to be doing all things right in India.

Wishlist for GM:
  • Get an SUV
  • Fit Magnum engine in SRV
  • Provide diesel option in Aveo, U-VA

Last edited by msdivy : 20th June 2007 at 15:12.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get an SUV
Fit Magnum engine in SRV
Provide diesel option in Aveo, U-VA
Well GM is adressing all the above points, so no worries, all these will be adressed by the end of this year, i am sure.

Quote:
Like the Octavia this is also now 3+ years old, so to be selling well in the market.
Skoda Octavia is a 11 years + old design
Closed Thread

Most Viewed