Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:21   #16

Re: My MG Hector Shine CVT

I have a 2019 Hector Sharp DCT and the car has been great for the last 25k+ kms we have driven. Other than the initial turbo lag which can be a pain sometimes, the car has been great overall. We have not faced any niggles, no unplanned visits to the service stations, no rattles etc. The engine also feels really refined from the get go and the ride is just sublime. It honestly feels a segment above the seltos and creta in terms of space, comfort and build quality.
bhavye.31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post

Same in mine as well which i bought in Jul 2021. You know what, this version was released in ~June 2021 and since then there were no software updates. Really awkward for an OEM who advertised that this is internet car and software updates will be sent blah blah blah. but it's been 10 months and no update. It's not that the iSmart system is perfect. There are issues that need fixes and improvements. The gaana app is also buggy. I tweeted their customer care about this and they said they will pass on the message to their technical team (standard reply). Gave up now.
The Shine variant does not have "Internet Inside", I have not had any unexpected behavior by the infotainment system apart from the initial time it takes to start. Maybe the iSmart system is not able to handle the additional apps and features that are available in the Sharp variant.

During the 1st service I asked the SA about the voice messages like "speed breaker ahead" even when the navigation is turned off and he got me in touch with a technical person, the lady seemed to know what she was talking about and told me that these are security warnings which are kept in "always on" mode. If I want, I would need to send them a formal email and they can disable these warnings for me.

May I suggest you talk to the technical person at the service center for the issues with iSmart system? They might not have readymade fixes but may have some workarounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavye.31 View Post
I have a 2019 Hector Sharp DCT and the car has been great for the last 25k+ kms we have driven. Other than the initial turbo lag which can be a pain sometimes, the car has been great overall. We have not faced any niggles, no unplanned visits to the service stations, no rattles etc. The engine also feels really refined from the get go and the ride is just sublime. It honestly feels a segment above the seltos and creta in terms of space, comfort and build quality.
Thanks!

This is helpful and reassuring about Hector being a reliable car as well as good ASS by MG. Agreed that the Hector feels a segment above the seltos and creta in terms of space, comfort and build quality.
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 13:26   #18
BHPian

I am a proud owner of Hector CVT Sharp - 2021 model. Purchased in October & took close to 2.5 months for the delivery.

Pretty happy with the performance except for minor niggles like No physical AC control buttons, initial lag in power while the vehicle starts etc.

FE is on the lower end but based on my calculations the average I am getting is 10-11 kmpl.

Headlights are not adequate on darker & rainy days.
Clocked 6000+ kms in 6 months
RaviKBobba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
FE is on the lower end but based on my calculations the average I am getting is 10-11 kmpl.
That's a good number compared to avg. feedback I have got of 8-9kmpl in DNCR. Even in my Elite i20 petrol Manual (2017 model) I get close to 10-11 Kmpl. If I go ahead with Hector, I am well aware and prepared for 20-25% drop in FE. But your feedback is reassuring.

I don't get it why people crib so much for Hector's low FE. Many other hot selling cars with Turbo petrol engines have such low FE. Even NA engine car like i20 is giving 10kmpl!
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:50   #20
BHPian

My hector plus manual (hybrid) gives 10 plus km/l in short runs of 6 km, consistently. On the same route (and distance), my Swift vxi amt used to give 13.5 km/l. This route involves driving on narrow lanes in South Bangalore across residential layouts.

I am pretty sure that the vehicle will give better fuel efficiency on longer runs and slightly better roads/traffic conditions.
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 20:07   #21
BHPian

I had taken back to back test drives of the Jeep compass petrol AT followed by the Hector CVT. Where the Jeep felt noticeably sluggish, like forever to gather any speed, the Hector CVT felt way more responsive and even quicker to gain speed. where i hesitated to / and literally could not overtake some cars on the test drive in the Jeep AT Petrol, on the same stretch i managed to do overtakes confidentally. i only a very small time delay when moving from a complete stop. It's a great car.

Last edited by argchoff : 7th June 2022 at 20:12. Reason: some errors during quoting so just posting independently
argchoff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 19:41   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride..

Even I have booked the Hector Sharp CVT in Burgundy Red color. My wife was keen on the XUV700 but I found Hector to be more comfortable and with more features at lower price point. The SA said 3-4 months waiting period. Let's hope he can provide quickly.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 18:54   #23

Sir..the mileage you mention you are getting on your Hector Shine CVT petrol is amazing! I own the same..yes Havana Grey that you initially booked! Have not got more than 7.5 to 8 km per litre. Kindly share tips on how I can do better, thank you
Balajiriyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 09:36   #24

Many friends and readers have asked me for my MG Hector ownership experience. Well, after owning the car for 2.5 years and having driven it for over 25,000 Km, here is my honest MG Hector overall performance review for others to make an informed decision.

Model Details

The car that I am reviewing is MG Hector Sharp DCT Petrol, BS6, March 2020 model. This a top end model of Hector Line by Morris Garages in India that costs about 22 Lacs on road in most Indian Cities.

Car Specifications

This car comes with a 1.5 Liter, Intercooled Turbocharged Petrol Engine that delivers a peak torque of 250 NM@1600-3600 rpm. The model in question is a five-seater model.

Overall Review

Instead of getting into the features and styling, let us straight away start talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the car.

Strengths

• Size – The car weighs almost two tons and its massive dimensions give you a very dominant position on the road. The build quality is superb, and everything feels sturdy and heavy.
  • Features – The car is loaded with features that your family will love, and you can show them off to your friends. The sunroof is massive and operates without a hitch on your voice commands.
  • Driving Performance – The car handles high speeds very well and remains stable and in control even at high speeds. You feel you are in complete control and the car does not hesitate at all. The cruise control is very accurate and lets you take off your foot from the gas paddle on straight, empty stretches. Even on city roads, the engine is exceptionally smooth and delivers enough torque to propel this 2-ton monster without any hiccups.
  • Suspension – The suspension calibration is good for all road types. It is not too soft, not too hard. I have driven it on all sorts of roads and the car handles any surface very well.
  • Space – This is something this car has no competition in its class. There is plenty of cabin space and with its 587-liter boot, you will never have to think twice before packing those extra suitcases.
  • Safety – With 8 airbags, the car promises safety for all its occupants, whether in front or rear, provided everyone wears seatbelts. Besides the airbags, the thickness of the metal used in the car body gives you an overall higher feeling of safety than most cars on Indian roads.
  • Auto Handbrake – One really cool feature of this car is the auto handbrake. This is particularly useful in bumper-to-bumper traffic. When you brake, the car stops and then you can take off your foot from the brake pedal and the car will not move. When you want to move again, just press the gas pedal and the car starts moving again. If you stop for a little longer, the car senses and automatically applies the handbrake. When you press the gas pedal, the handbrake is automatically released. This is such a useful feature that takes so much of stress out of driving in heavy traffic.
  • Service Quality – The after sales services at Morris Garages dealers is simply fantastic. They have well-trained and very courteous staff, who maintain your car in top condition in the warranty without any fuss. Any part replacements, however expensive, are done without any questions or resistance by the team. Sometimes to my surprise, they replaced parts without even any complaints from my side. They have a very stringent quality control system and if they find anything that is not in accordance with their own performance standards of the car, they will replace it, ensuring that every time you take the delivery of your car after servicing, it is in showroom condition.
  • Panoramic Views – Large windows and panoramic sunroof tremendously enhance the outside view, making your ride more fun, especially during scenic drives. You feel as if you are enjoying in an open car with your family. MG could have added retractable window shades to further enhance comfort.

Weaknesses

• Transmission Responsiveness – The DCT gearbox generally is a breeze, and you don’t even come to know when the car changes gears, but that’s where it all ends. While climbing hills, the gearbox becomes adamant and does not shift to lower gear, robbing you of the power you need to climb the hill. The best alternative in such situations is to drive in manual mode on steep climbs. Similarly, while overtaking, sometimes when you need a sudden burst of power, the gearbox feels sluggish. Again, using manual transmission is the best option while overtaking. However, you cannot always remember to switch to manual before every overtaking and another thing is that with a car of such size and unpredictable transmission its best to overtake cautiously. Moreover, you cannot expect the agility of a sedan from an SUV.
  • Infotainment System– The massive 10.4-inch screen does not help much if you trying to play videos, due to its portrait orientation. Also, the response to voice commands is not as prompt as you would expect from a car in this segment.
  • Centre Console Space – MG could have done better with the center console layout. There is no dedicated space for your phone or the keys. Everything just collects into a small space in front of the gearshift where you have to keep searching for your things which is not easy while driving.
  • Cabin Lighting – For such a large cabin, the cabin lighting points are highly inadequate and wherever they are, they are too dim for an all-back interior. Often times, you need to use the flashlight of your phone to locate things inside the cabin.
  • Luggage Hooks – Even cars in lower segments have luggage hooks in the boot to fasten the luggage to prevent it from shifting around when the car is in motion. This feature is greatly missed on the MG Hector.
  • Auto Wiper – The car is equipped with rain sensing wipers, but they do not function as desired. Sometimes they run dry at the slightest hint of the rain and at other times they decide not to function even in heavy downpour. I have been using the conventional instead of the automatic to prevent scratching my windshield.
  • Mileage – This model returns an average of about 8-9 kmpl in city driving and 11-12 kmpl on highways. With cruise control, you can even clock 15-16 kmpl. By the way, no one purchases an MG hector for driving economy!!

Well, these were the strengths and weaknesses of the car according to what I experienced in last 2.5 years. I have done some extremely long stretches, some as long as 800 kms without a break but still did not feel the extreme fatigue that I would have felt in some other cars.

My verdict – ★★★★☆
Attached Thumbnails
My MG Hector Shine CVT-mghector.png  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th October 2022 at 09:18. Reason: corrected to DCT
brainmail is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 10:01   #25

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have noted the points and would keep them in mind while posting next time.

Happy to be a part of this forum.
Old 25th October 2022, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Second Service and 5000+ KM Update

Guys, first of all, apologies for the late update on this thread. And, if you are still bothered - read on!

My MG Hector Shine CVT crossed the 5000KM mark last month and has clocked 6200KM as I write this. Here's an account of service experience, new learnings, negatives and overall experience:

1. The 2nd service was due at 6 months/5000 KMs. I booked the service at MG Noida Service Center. The service booking took a few attempts as Noida has only 1 service center which is almost always very busy. I believe that MG needs to expand their ASS network sooner than later, specially in urban areas where the Hector sells in decent numbers.

2. Service booking aside, the overall service experience was a smooth affair. There was only one complain - brake disc squeaking sound which was due to the post monsoon rains in Delhi NCR. A simple brake shoe and disc cleaning sort the noise out. I had also scratched the front left bumper against a pillar while parking the car which left a scratch mark, the cleaning guys at the service center did an excellent job of clearing the scratch mark along with the paint marks from the pillar.

3. The 2nd service is a minor service which includes general checkup, top ups if needed and routine cleaning. No errors were found by the scanner device and the car was ready within 3 hours. The bill amount was 0 as all the jobs done were part of the 2nd free service.

4. In my initial review, I had mentioned quite a few observations which had a learning curve to get used to; during the last 8 months of ownership, I have gotten used to the position of the engine start/stop button which is placed behind the steering wheel on the left. Same goes for ORVM adjustment buttons which are on the right side behind the steering wheel. I can now operate them without taking my eyes off the road.

5. While I was reluctant to use the cruise control initially, off late, I have been using it regularly. It is accurate, easy and super convenient to use, specially on highways. The speed control buttons on the steering mount work seamlessly and you can basically control the car without using your feet while using cruise control. Apart from being convenient, the cruise control is of great assistance if you want to extract best possible fuel economy from the car.

6. Although I have gotten used to almost everything with the car, the side visibility still remains an issue. There are serious blind spots due to the thick A and B pillars. On a round about at a junction or a sharp turn on a busy road, you have to be very careful about the 2 wheelers on your left and right.

7. The initial lag although not a big concern now, still makes its presence felt while moving on from a speed breaker or a traffic signal. The car takes its time to build speed. You have to put the car in S mode and then press the paddle hard if you want to gain speed quickly.

8. I still can't come to terms with the fact that MG did not provide electric folding ORVMs on a car that costs north of 18 lacs. It embarrasses me to manually fold the ORVMs after I have parked the car. I checked with the service adviser if I can install aftermarket auto folding ORVMs without voiding the warranty and he said anything which involves cutting a wire can void the warranty depending on type of warranty claim made should I need to make one - so, have to live with it.

9. During recent rains, I drove the car at night and I too found the headlights to be inadequate as suggested by many on the forum. The cabin lights in Shine variant are not LEDs and provide a dim view at night. Upgrading the headlights and the cabin lights is on my agenda now.

10. Negatives aside, the car keeps growing on me. I have followed all the recent car launches and, I still cannot find a car which can match the value that MG Hector Shine CVT provides if you are not looking for outright performance. It is not a perfect car but, a similar variant from other manufacturers costs at least 1-2 lacs more with its own set of shortcomings.

11. Fingers crossed, there have been absolutely no niggles. Everything works as it should, the aircon is a chiller, there are no unwanted sounds and the cabin is a silent place with NVH levels well controlled.

12. When it comes to cruising in comfort, I can only think of the Innova which can beat the Hector; but again, Toyota is milking us big time with the brand it has built out of the Innova. The Hector is happy to cruise all day long without any complains. I have found 90-110 KMPH to be a sweet spot with the car cruising happily between 1800-2000 RPMs.

13. I have taken the car on a couple of trips on narrow and twisty hill roads and felt very comfortable with how it performed. The hill assist with auto hold functions very well to keep the stress levels very low. It is no off roader, but, I am quite confident that it can take me to any place which has slightest of the roads.

Somewhere in the hills of Uttarakhand:

My MG Hector Shine CVT-img_20220801_135437.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balajiriyer View Post
Sir..the mileage you mention you are getting on your Hector Shine CVT petrol is amazing! I own the same..yes Havana Grey that you initially booked! Have not got more than 7.5 to 8 km per litre. Kindly share tips on how I can do better, thank you
Sorry for the late response. There are only a couple of tips that I can think of - don't push the car hard at low speeds, be gentle with your right foot and let the car build speed at its own pace. Keeping the RPMs under 2k will help. Secondly, use cruise control as much as possible, it helps a lot. Having said that, the best I managed was 14-15kmpl on a 350 km highway drive which included cruise control being used almost 50% of the time. The fuel economy goes down drastically if you push the paddle hard at low speeds, again a good indicator is the RPM, if it shoots rapidly, you are sure to burn a lot of fuel. Just for comparison, a friend of mine has Seltos IVT, he is a sedate driver and he has been averaging 13-14kmpl. As long as I manage to keep the fuel economy in double digits, I am happy with my Hector.
TheVegabond is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:21   #27

Sir TheVegabond, thank you! I shall try to implement your suggestions on mileage improvement. On the service front, yes no complaints at all.

Look forward to taking it on a longer highway stretch where I can try the cruise control feature

Yes I have the same pet peeves as you on OVRMs and not so bright head lights for a vehicle of this proportion. Look forward to your inputs if you do find a 'jugaad' solution. Good day!

Regards

Balaji Iyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
Sorry for the late response. There are only a couple of tips that I can think of - don't push the car hard at low speeds, be gentle with your right foot and let the car build speed at its own pace. Keeping the RPMs under 2k will help. Secondly, use cruise control as much as possible, it helps a lot. Having said that, the best I managed was 14-15kmpl on a 350 km highway drive which included cruise control being used almost 50% of the time. The fuel economy goes down drastically if you push the paddle hard at low speeds, again a good indicator is the RPM, if it shoots rapidly, you are sure to burn a lot of fuel. Just for comparison, a friend of mine has Seltos IVT, he is a sedate driver and he has been averaging 13-14kmpl. As long as I manage to keep the fuel economy in double digits, I am happy with my Hector.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th October 2022 at 14:09. Reason: quote tags
Balajiriyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Little confused with the inconsistencies.

Does your car have CVT or DCT gearbox?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmail View Post

Model Details

The car that I am reviewing is MG Hector Sharp CVT Petrol, BS6, March 2020 model. This a top end model of Hector Line by Morris Garages in India that costs about 22 Lacs on road in most Indian Cities.
Quote:
[*]Transmission Responsiveness – The DCT gearbox generally is a breeze, and you don’t even come to know when the car changes gears, but that’s where it all ends.
Don't think the Hector ever had 8 airbags. I guess it always had 6 in the top most variants.

Quote:
[*]Safety – With 8 airbags, the car promises safety for all its occupants, whether in front or rear, provided everyone wears seatbelts. Besides the airbags, the thickness of the metal used in the car body gives you an overall higher feeling of safety than most cars on Indian roads.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:59   #29

Hey sorry for the oversight. Here are the following clarifications

The gearbox is DCT and not CVT

There are 8 airbags in my model, 2 in front, 2 front curtains, 2 rear side curtains and 2 more in the rear, opening towards front from the rear.
Old 28th October 2022, 00:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are 8 airbags in my model, 2 in front, 2 front curtains, 2 rear side curtains and 2 more in the rear, opening towards front from the rear.
Even the top model as seen in attached pic taken from MG website shows it's got 6 airbags. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
My MG Hector Shine CVT-screenshot_2022102800104761_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg  

07CR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks