Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2023, 18:56   #106
BHPian

Re: Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Regarding the pipe that is needed to fill the AdBlue, is that reusable? Can I keep it after use and then use it again for the next fill a few months (6 to 7) later?

I have taken one from the service centre. Just wanted to know if I can keep that after using.

Dashcam DIY

Through the headliner on to the A-Pillar:

Attachment 2534933

Goes inside the A-pillar into the door beadings. A pillar sits flush after the wire is pried inside:
How deep have you pushed the cable in? I have a visible gap on the top due to the cable going underneath it. I do not see any gap in your pic.

Last edited by abhaumik : 26th November 2023 at 19:03.
Old 26th November 2023, 19:00   #107
BHPian

Re: Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
So Iím on IOS but someone suggested something similar. Disconnect the phone pairing from the Jeep. Pair phone to camera. Then re-pair the phone to the Jeep. I just havenít had the patience to get around to it yet and now itís anyway academic since Iím going to remove it soon and install it on the GT.
If you deselect the "Enable Car Play" from the Jeep Menu for Phone setting, you will be able to get the stable dash cam wi-fi connection. I posted about my experience in the Jeep Official review thread just now.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5668776 (Jeep Compass : Official Review)
abhaumik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 02:29   #108
BHPian

The Uconnect overpowers the dashcam wifi as soon as the ignition is turned on. I keep a battery pack handy. When I want to review the recording I keep the ignition off and connect the dashcam to the battery pack. This way the Uconnect does not interfere with the wifi connection to the dashcam. Another alternative is to use your partners phone which is not connected to the car.
AW1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 11:16   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you please share where to purchase these adhesive wire routing clips?
Old 28th November 2023, 22:58   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
I suggest you exploring the same. You can use some other wire which does not easily bend and then route the cables through the roof.
Thank you. Will check that option during one of the upcoming weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
How deep have you pushed the cable in? I have a visible gap on the top due to the cable going underneath it. I do not see any gap in your pic.
Not too much but just enough to make the gap disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share where to purchase these adhesive wire routing clips?
Amazon - https://amzn.eu/d/5Kfd5Tv

But I wouldn't recommend these, the adhesive seems to be giving up over the last two days. I'm looking for better options.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 20:18   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Amazon - https://amzn.eu/d/5Kfd5Tv

But I wouldn't recommend these, the adhesive seems to be giving up over the last two days. I'm looking for better options.
These are really terrible. I had already ordered them before your feedback. So tried them out, 4 out of 9 did not stick at all.

Please do let me know if you find any better option.
Old 4th December 2023, 18:10   #112
BHPian

Nowadays I fill 5 litres once the indicator drops below 50% -

Attachment 2534905

I see there is a paint chip in the place where the fuel nozzle rests, is this because of keeping the fuel nozzle or some other reason, i have the same chip marks
Old 4th December 2023, 19:42   #113

Quote:
including NEXDIGITRON polarizer filter (worth 999/-)
I was under the impression that Sony's Starvis 2 lens is capable enough that it doesn't need polarizer filter. Have you tried without the filter and seen the difference?
Old 4th December 2023, 21:23   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
These are really terrible. I had already ordered them before your feedback. So tried them out, 4 out of 9 did not stick at all.

Please do let me know if you find any better option.
Yes I agree. Sorry you had to go through the same as well - the first batch i received lasted a few days. The second batch was not even sticking properly, but also breaking off when trying to slide in the wire.

I stopped searching for options and used the trusty zip tie only instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki9009 View Post
I see there is a paint chip in the place where the fuel nozzle rests, is this because of keeping the fuel nozzle or some other reason, i have the same chip marks
Yes unfortunately- the fuel bunk attendants do smash it in! This is on the PPF so far, not the paint underneath. Is it just as prominent in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro-wolf View Post
I was under the impression that Sony's Starvis 2 lens is capable enough that it doesn't need polarizer filter. Have you tried without the filter and seen the difference?
I havent researched too much frankly - so hadnt heard this. Will try to post videos of both options over the weekend.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 22:17   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1972 View Post
The Uconnect overpowers the dashcam wifi as soon as the ignition is turned on. I keep a battery pack handy. When I want to review the recording I keep the ignition off and connect the dashcam to the battery pack. This way the Uconnect does not interfere with the wifi connection to the dashcam. Another alternative is to use your partners phone which is not connected to the car.
I purchased the extra kit for the 24-hour parking monitoring, which allows me to connect directly to the fuse box. So I can simply keep the power on without the engine running and Android doesn't auto connect.

Also my USB ports remain free for other devices.

The parking monitoring has been quite helpful in identifying 2 scratches done by society kids riding cycles in the parking lot. And I also get to know if I am really paying for the daily wash or just for the wipers to be lifted up.
Santo_the_bong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:22   #116

Congrats on your Dashcam! I recent picked up the 70mai A810 along with the hardwire kit during Thanksgiving, and I setup the camera in the similar way you've shared, hooked up to the 12v socket. It went okay until my Jetta's A pillar didn't sit flush after I tucked the cable in. Not happy with that yet. But, it's temporary as I aim to hardwire it to the battery. I'm still waiting for my "add a fuse" kit that works with my hardwire kit.

Their parking surveillance feature is well tested as per some youtube reviews, so looking forward to experience it.

Last edited by tsreenivasan : 5th December 2023 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
Old 12th December 2023, 12:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:

Yes unfortunately- the fuel bunk attendants do smash it in! This is on the PPF so far, not the paint underneath. Is it just as prominent in your car?

Yes unfortunately, its more than yours as i dont have ppf and a white colured car, I've now decided to get that part re-painted somewhere down the road, have to live with it till then though.
Old 4th April 2024, 16:39   #118

Hello,

I would highly recommend to get the wire removed from the B-pillar. I recently completed wiring my car (i20). Although my variant does not have a side airbag, I avoided it due to possible noise after sometime.

The best way, in my opinion is to route it through roof liner. Now, I understand that you might find it difficult. You may take it to a local mechanic (with good google reviews of course) else try to do, what I did.

I bought a spring coil (refer to the coils used to hang curtains at home in the 90s. I inserted it from the front side and kept sliding it until it reached the other end. Before inserting it, I taped one side of the cable to ensure routing. Once it was done, I did not put any lock but ensured enough tension in the wire. So far, it is doing the job without any noise on any road surface.

Hope this works for you. Thanks

Quote:

25,000 kms update

The 25k milestone came up early this month - while I was returning home after a short dinner meet with BHPians KarthikK and neil.jericho.

Number of days: 593 days (1 year, 7 months and 14 days) since purchase.
Average Usage: 42.2 kms /day.

Attachment 2534904

The pace of driving has clearly reduced recently, especially after the arrival of the Triumph - my old Punto had completed 25k kms in just 10 months. No hopes of giving arun.josie a run for his money this time

DEF / Adblue

This is one of the major queries an owner gets nowadays for a BS6 diesel car. Glad to report that I haven't had any issues and the only attention required so far has been the regular refilling once every 5k - 6k kms or so.

Till recently Velvex Adblue (used by FCA themselves) was available on Amazon and I had a 5L home delivered and kept in reserve. But just before this year's Great Indian Sale, the delivery options have been greatly reduced for this product - atleast doesn't deliver to my place anymore. Will need to stock up from FCA the next time I visit for service.

Some people hate Adblue refilling because it can spill, causing damages to the paint and stain marks over shoes and cloth items. After a couple of such refills, I have adopted this method of keeping a tissue sandwiched in the cap, which avoids the spill completely.

Nowadays I fill 5 litres once the indicator drops below 50% -

Attachment 2534905

No spillage mess:

Attachment 2534906

Attachment 2534907

The new reading. Should last till the annual service coming up in March

Attachment 2534908

Dashcam DIY

Got a small gift for the car to celebrate this milestone- a dashcam which was a long overdue purchase and a necessity these days. I saw good discounts on the 70mai A810 True 4K dashcam during the Amazon Great Indian Sale and took the plunge.

Cost? Rs 18,734/- including NEXDIGITRON polarizer filter (worth 999/-) thanks to Great Indian festival plus HDFC credit card instant discount. Had to spend another 1.3k on the Samsung Evo Plus 256GB microSDXC memory card.

This one comes with HDR Dual Vision - 4K 3840x2160 native resolution for the front and HD for the rear. Read on the dashcam thread about Starvis 2 IMX and this comes with Starvis 2 for the front - another reason to try out.

Cons - Is battery and not capacitor powered, so hoping Bangalore temperatures won't cause issues.

Wiring was done DIY, with some clips bought off Amazon for cable management. I need to rewire the rear though- reason as seen in pics below.

Unboxing the 70mai A810:

Attachment 2534909

Tested both cams before installation and wiring. Front:

Attachment 2534910

And rear:

Attachment 2534911

Attached the front cam below the mirror mount:

Attachment 2534926

Attachment 2534927

75% of the camera is not seen from my driving position. Kept a hint of it seen so I can make out if it's running. Screen goes off in 30 seconds - so it's not an active distraction:

Attachment 2534930

Clips attached to the mirror housing to tidy up the wiring:

Attachment 2534931

Wires routes through the clips:

Attachment 2534932

Through the headliner on to the A-Pillar:

Attachment 2534933

Goes inside the A-pillar into the door beadings. A pillar sits flush after the wire is pried inside:

Attachment 2534934

Routed through the door beading to the driver footwell area.

Attachment 2534936

The length of the provided cable was not enough to route it to the USB in the rear console, so I could route it only to the front:

Attachment 2535144

Using clips to tidy up the wire in the center console area:

Attachment 2534937

More clips to the rescue, to avoid the wire hanging down towards the pedal controls:

Attachment 2534938

Final routing in the footwell area:

Attachment 2534939

As seen from the drivers door area:

Attachment 2534940

As seen from the driving position:

Attachment 2534941

Camera mounting as seen from outside. Kept it slightly kept visible as an active deterrent:

Attachment 2534942

Rear cam wiring

Wiring the rear camera was much harder and I was particularly feeling good about how it turned out, but for one grave miss.

The camera stuck above the rear glass and wire routed with the OE cables:

Attachment 2528369

This was particular irritating to pull off, passing the solid clip through this bent rubber sleeve with not much space to spare was tough:

Attachment 2528371

Out through the roof liner, before routing it along the edge and into the C pillar:

Attachment 2528373

Through the C pillar:

Attachment 2528375

Through the rear door beadings:

Attachment 2528376

Inside the B pillar (yep, that's the big question!!!)

Attachment 2528377

Through the front door beadings:

Attachment 2528378

Passing to the A pillar:

Attachment 2528379

On to the roof liner and camera:

Attachment 2528381

The view from the rear camera as compared to the reversing camera:

Attachment 2528386

How it looks from inside:

Attachment 2528385

As seen from outside:

Attachment 2534944

Rear cam wiring Reroute?

So the obvious elephant in the room - the crossing at the B pillar. Now, I passed it by sliding it in through the plastic trim in the B pillar assuming the airbag deploys from the roof liner just above it and not through the pillar. But then - friends have asked if there could be a possibility of the airbag getting caught in the wire when deploying and I guess that's a possibility not worth the risk.

Safer to just re-route it I guess, but trying to figure out how. Can pass it through the base - but then it will be difficult to remove all those trims to conceal the wiring. I have some additional length for this cable, so wire length shouldn't be a problem, as it was with the front.

Suggestions welcome

Most Viewed