Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 13:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Final product:
---
Need to see in proper sunlight later, but looks good for now!
Absolutely stunning, the color adding to the wow factor

What's the PPF brand that you have used and warranty provided?
Did you compare any options and why did you finally select what you selected
Old 24th May 2022, 15:38   #47
BHPian

re: Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue

Looks stunning! Much better than straight out of the showroom.
Btw, I won't be comfortable getting lights, cladding, logo, etc removed & fitted again other than for repairs.
Old 24th May 2022, 18:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Beautiful

Please do treat us with some under the sun photos too.now.
A couple of clicks, but with overcast conditions. Will try to do better over the weekend if the weather gods permit.

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220524_114329.jpg

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220524_114128.jpg

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220524_113953.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Stone chips and minor scratches are a major headache . I was initially thinking of not doing the ceramic coating but am having serious second thoughts now.
I chickened out basically.

There are harder ways to maintain the car - and with the Punto I used to take pride in it. But after trying it on this colour - I realized I'm introducing micro-swirls even at my most gentle application. While Ceramic or Sealant could have given the shine and some surface protection - PPF felt better/easier considering a long-term ownership, hopefully, like we both had with the Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Absolutely stunning, the color adding to the wow factor

What's the PPF brand that you have used and warranty provided?
Did you compare any options and why did you finally select what you selected
Thank you. Speaking of the colour - boy what a beauty you have with the A4!

The Detailing Mafia uses their own film - branded UltrashieldX. I won't be surprised if it's a Chinese import, like most rebranded options in the market.

I went with them because -
1. Somewhat branded option among other unorganised players available locally. The Mafia has franchises across India.
2. Warranty of 5 years.
3. They ask customers to come in for monthly maintenance washes - so I ran into a couple of cars done last year. A black Innova in particular looked very impressive even after several months and the owner was more than happy with their services.
4. Reasonable (subjective!) costs.
5. Seems to have very very less glue compared to some competition. Made it time consuming to apply, but hopefully won't leave damage to the paint afterwards.

I also opted for TPH + Ceramic instead of TPU, because the yellowing of the film is not a major concern with this dark colour. Would have spent more on TPU if I had a white car, and if spending that much - I would have waited for a proper branded film like Stek or Llumar. Or would have preferred a known installer like Kriti Car Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Looks stunning! Much better than straight out of the showroom.
Btw, I won't be comfortable getting lights, cladding, logo, etc removed & fitted again other than for repairs.
PPF can be done without trim removal as well. Trim removal helps tuck in all the edges inside and away from vandals and also gives a layer of protection against rust in places where dirt and grime can get trapped. I saw no harm done in that, except the heart ache when seeing the pics.

Was particular they don't dismantle anything in the interior though - as that could become a rattle source.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th May 2022 at 18:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 23:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

There are harder ways to maintain the car - and with the Punto I used to take pride in it. But after trying it on this colour - I realized I'm introducing micro-swirls even at my most gentle application. While Ceramic or Sealant could have given the shine and some surface protection - PPF felt better/easier considering a long-term ownership, hopefully, like we both had with the Punto.
Beautiful pictures after the ceramic and PPF application. This blue looks relatively close to Oceanic Blue colour of Linea.
It’s great that you went for full body PPF. You will not have to go through small heartaches after every big highway drive like me since my Linea’s bonnet is full of small paint chips. I will make it a point to cover at least bonnet in PPF if not full body for my next new car(whenever that happens).
Old 25th May 2022, 07:08   #50
Team-BHP Support

Smooth

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220524_192703.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
This blue looks relatively close to Oceanic Blue colour of Linea.
Oceanic Blue was a beautiful colour indeed.

Galaxy Blue is similar, yet different though - it has more of black and purple as well in it and the texture up close is full of shiny sparkles with these colours. Changes hue with the amount and angle of light on the car. Will try to capture it upclose one of these days when the sun is out.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th May 2022 at 07:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 10:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

What is the cost one would be looking at for doing a full PPF on a new car? And also if you have to just cover a single part like a bumper later on?

Biggest concern I have personally is that in case of a impact damage you will have to shell out the cost for replacing/repainting and putting on a new PPF.

However, hopefully the PPF will protect your car from bird droppings and such acts of vandalism by educated illiterates

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-b7a4d2b8b35c46af893d4323f89781a3.jpeg

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-879c6aaa34504802becc8de4d3aa2ef7.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:00   #52
ike
BHPian

I feel PPF takes away the metallic depth from beautiful colors like CD's compass and other dark colors like black. In CD's case, it seems to have been restored by the ceramic coat. What sort of maintenance is required for the coat?
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:57   #53
BHPian

Nice write up.
I've been applying ceramic coats for all my cars till date with Ceramic pro due to dearth of PPF applicators in my area. I'm totally satisfied with all except the fact that you need to keep applying topup coats at least once a year and that black coloured plastic claddings in most of my vehicles go dull over a period of time. Interior coats have a long lasting feel and are excellent.
Now many cars come with piano black panels on their exterior and interior.
Would you advise PPF coating for them or ceramic coats?
Also let me know if applying PPF on interior panels especially on the dash and central console would be useful or not?
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:02   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
What is the cost one would be looking at for doing a full PPF on a new car? And also if you have to just cover a single part like a bumper later on?
IMHO, this is a very unorganised sector with no real price parity. Price keeps changing between vendors and even with the same vendor, depending on input costs and how aggressively they position themselves. Reason why I didn't mention price in the original post. It may not help anyone.

Anyways - I spent 1L + tax.

Note - This was TPH + ceramic. Material quality and brand varies greatly between vendors too, so it is quite hard to put a right price on it. On the PPF thread, people have claimed prices much lower and much, much higher than the above amount for the quotes on their car. Easy to hit double the amount I spent with Kavaca or Xpel (and may be with the quality difference too - I'm no expert)

Price for a single part would just depend on the square-feet of material needed to cover that area. Again, all depending on the vendor.

Quote:
Biggest concern I have personally is that in case of a impact damage you will have to shell out the cost for replacing/repainting and putting on a new PPF.
Valid concern in case of a major accident or a big dent.

However, during the ownership of my various cars - we have only a couple of such rare incidents. The most common eyesores are with respect to paint chips, vandals, swirl marks, minor scratches etc - that become an eyesore to you, but not good enough to send the car for a repaint. And even if we do - we all know how many service centres can do a half-decent job of a repaint.

Had recently seen a case where a car was very badly scratched in a parking lot mishap, but was factory fresh when the PPF was pulled off. May not happen 100% of the time, but then - fingers crossed luck helps with that.

Quote:
However, hopefully the PPF will protect your car from bird droppings and such acts of vandalism by educated illiterates
Absolutely. There are people who only have negativity to give out in the world.

While it may not be obvious in the pics above - all the black portions are also covered with black PPF. If you plan to replace that vinyl with something sturdier - black PPF would be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I feel PPF takes away the metallic depth from beautiful colors like CD's compass and other dark colors like black. In CD's case, it seems to have been restored by the ceramic coat. What sort of maintenance is required for the coat?
PPF certainly has gloss, but like Dr.Ad mentioned in his ownership thread - it may not feel like a metallic shine as in the case of ceramic coated cars.

Ceramic coat is also covered by the same 5-year warranty. Monthly (or once in two months, I guess) maintenance wash is required during the warranty period. Also need to take care the service center or any local wash centers don't use diesel or heavy chemical products for the wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
I'm totally satisfied with all except the fact that you need to keep applying topup coats at least once a year and that black coloured plastic claddings in most of my vehicles go dull over a period of time.
Meguairs Natural Shine for dull plastics. Works like a charm - personal experience. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4828668 (A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Interior coats have a long lasting feel and are excellent.
Now many cars come with piano black panels on their exterior and interior.
Would you advise PPF coating for them or ceramic coats?
Also let me know if applying PPF on interior panels especially on the dash and central console would be useful or not?
Black PPF can be used for piano black exterior panels. All the piano black plastics seen above the window line - its all covered with black PPF.

At least on the Compass, the interior parts were too curvaceous to cover with PPF, or so this installer claimed. Also I didn't want to remove the interior trims and introduce rattles myself (where the Compass already carries that risk). Piano black panels were ceramic coated instead and screen guard applied for the touchscreen.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th May 2022 at 18:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 21:25   #55
BHPian

If the paint is chipped, how do they fix it before applying the PPF? Do they use any filler and touch up the paint?
Old 25th May 2022, 21:39   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
If the paint is chipped, how do they fix it before applying the PPF? Do they use any filler and touch up the paint?
Yes. It's just touched up. Thankfully, it is not visible under the PPF unless you go looking for it.

The best case scenario is to repaint, which obviously I didn't want to do on a brand new car.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:55   #57
Team-BHP Support

A video shared by them earlier today -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 16:56   #58
Team-BHP Support

Got the first (free) maintenance wash done today. So far, so good:

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220529_155514.jpg

One puzzling aspect is that the parking sensors are still working perfectly even though the PPF is yet to be cut for the section.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 19:47   #59
Team-BHP Support

The Compass seems to have become a major favourite with the cats in the area! We have one at home, but this is caused by some other neighbourhood cats!

The panels are protected with PPF, but even then this is a major eyesore in the morning. Wonder what could be a proper deterrent - perhaps a spray of water on the car overnight?

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-20220606_095238.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 11:35   #60
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition and wishing miles and years of blissful journey. The blue is absolutely stunning/ ravishing . Your posts are a treat to read as its full of information and unbiased views. Hats off from a fellow Trivian

Finally, after almost an year of oscillation between Kushaq/Slavia/ Virtus, I got my Night Eagle edition (1.4 DCT) yesterday evening in Brilliant Black. I've entrusted Euroteq for the Gtechniq Crystal Serum for mine too and dropped straight to their unit after delivery. Last three months were pretty perplexing as Harrier/ Compass were wild card entries and at one point, even Kodiaq had entered the consideration list. I was hoping that the Kushaq Monte Carlo would rectify the 'localization' and come out as a better product. But one look at the RED inserts made me look into other segments. The flow from the multiple test-drives to delivery were very smooth.

Genius v/s Insanity - Part 2 | My 2022 Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited(O) MT | Galaxy Blue-img_10841.png
Mysticeyes is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks