Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 16:21   #16
BHPian

Re: 2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
This is actually a pre LCI M sport trim F20 116i - pretty much the same car as yours. I've owned it from new and it's currently at around 1.14 lakh kms over 7 years. It is THE family car hence no tracking done unlike your very entertaining videos

Attachment 2309699

Adding on a few photos of things added on or replaced.

BBS CH-R 18 " with Michelin PS3 ZP:

Attachment 2309706

Attachment 2309707

BBS Wheel Studs:

Attachment 2309708

KW Street Comfort replacing my stock M Sport suspension at around 90k kms:

Attachment 2309709

M performance brake kit - 4 pot front with 370 mm discs , 2 pot rear with 345 mm discs:

Attachment 2309710

Attachment 2309711

Hitting 100k kms:

Attachment 2309712

Some cosmetic and not so cosmetic mods:

Attachment 2309698

Attachment 2309702

Attachment 2309713

Attachment 2309700

Attachment 2309714

Attachment 2309703

Attachment 2309701

Attachment 2309704

Some more interior shots:

Attachment 2309719

Attachment 2309721

Attachment 2309718

Attachment 2309705
- Wow, the BBS wheels are absolutely smashing. They suit the car so well!
- On the KW Street Comforts: Oh wow, this is a fab upgrade, do enlighten us on the driving experience on the KW Street Comforts vis-a-vis the M-Sport suspension! Also, how come you ended up choosing KW over say, Bilsteins?
- On the M-performance Brakes: This is another much-needed upgrade, especially now that I am running significantly more power. The standard brakes leave a lot to be desired.
- On the Remus Exhaust: Boy, that looks like such a great piece of kit. PLEASE if you could, try and upload a video of the cold start. I would absolutely love to hear what she sounds like with the Remus Exhaust!
- On the Manual Trans & that shift knob: *wipes drool off keyboard and faints*

Such an exhaustive mod-list on this car! You really have left a fellow petrolhead inspired!

Your car is such a fab spec! I really can't stop going over all the pictures, again and again! Thank you so much for uploading these!

Last edited by n:CorE : 14th July 2022 at 16:32.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 06:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
- Wow, the BBS wheels are absolutely smashing. They suit the car so well!
- On the KW Street Comforts: Oh wow, this is a fab upgrade, do enlighten us on the driving experience on the KW Street Comforts vis-a-vis the M-Sport suspension! Also, how come you ended up choosing KW over say, Bilsteins?
- On the M-performance Brakes: This is another much-needed upgrade, especially now that I am running significantly more power. The standard brakes leave a lot to be desired.
- On the Remus Exhaust: Boy, that looks like such a great piece of kit. PLEASE if you could, try and upload a video of the cold start. I would absolutely love to hear what she sounds like with the Remus Exhaust!
- On the Manual Trans & that shift knob: *wipes drool off keyboard and faints*
==================================================

The BBS CHR purchase was inspired by the above video!

I wanted an OEM + look for the car with the rims and BBS with BMW is quite the classic look .

2. Most people in a group I was in were going with Bilstein B6 or B12. The one odd person on the B16 coilover said that they were extremely harsh.

I decided to go with something a tad different and hence chose KW.

Very happy with the buy . More planted at speed than the M sport with more confidence at ' high ' speed sweeping corners . Probably needs a bit of suspension tuning but I don't have the time currently.
One of the rear M sport dampers had collapsed by the time I went to the KW , so my memories of the M sport suspension are now tainted

3. I wasn't an advocate for big brake kits before but now that I have the M performance kit , I would never go back to the stock brakes . It's just the very nice fuss free feel of the braking even if I don't know if braking distance has improved.

Managed to get it at 50% new price from a guy dekitting it off his F30.

P.S The rear part number is different on the higher models of the F30 and is NOT a straight plug - play - fouls with the hand brake apparently . I got lucky with my buy.

4. I'm constrained by regulations for exhaust mods so it's only the axle back part of the Remus that I have . They do have a mid pipe available too . And if money and risk taking with inspections weren't an issue , I would ideally want to run a high flow 200 cell downpipe too ( these are very expensive though! )

Cold start is quite loud.
Will try to get a video at some point.

5. The shift knob is a weighted knob made by a UK based company called Storm Motorwerks . Weighs around 450 gms and really changes the shift feel . There is no BMW short shift kit for the F20 unfortunately unlike older models and did not really want to muck around with an aftermarket short shifter kit.

Last edited by shrjun : 15th July 2022 at 06:35.
shrjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 17:37   #18

Hi n:CorE,
and shrjun

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
I also have 2014 116i.
Long story short after driving Lancer EX GT for 7 years in Middle East couldn't fall in love with anything in india in my budget and was almost stretching myself to finalize on VW Vento in 2015 but luck has it got this 116i in candy red from BMW Premium Selection with only 4K on odo.
Am not much into driving now because of health issues but the 116i unit I have has been very reliable and dependable.

Would love to get some pointer about the car from you n:CorE and shrjun.....especailly about getting idrive fitted.....if recommended and a music system upgrade....

Thanks again guys....
hope to hear more and stay in touch....

Regards
Sky Reader
Attached Thumbnails
2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-dscn9959.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-img_20160907_180542_hdr.jpg  

Skyreader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
==================================================
1. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=P9j2mzRiOxE

The BBS CHR purchase was inspired by the above video!

I wanted an OEM + look for the car with the rims and BBS with BMW is quite the classic look .

BBS CHR on BMW. Most definitely, El Classico!

2. Most people in a group I was in were going with Bilstein B6 or B12. The one odd person on the B16 coilover said that they were extremely harsh.

I decided to go with something a tad different and hence chose KW.

Very happy with the buy . More planted at speed than the M sport with more confidence at ' high ' speed sweeping corners . Probably needs a bit of suspension tuning but I don't have the time currently.
One of the rear M sport dampers had collapsed by the time I went to the KW , so my memories of the M sport suspension are now tainted

The standard suspension on the car leaves a lot to be desired. A Soft suspension set up isn't always comfy. I quite prefer minimal body roll and some tautness. A bit stiffer on low speeds is also okay, as long as the ride is consistently flat above 60 kmph. I will definitely research more on the KW Street Comforts.

3. I wasn't an advocate for big brake kits before but now that I have the M performance kit , I would never go back to the stock brakes . It's just the very nice fuss free feel of the braking even if I don't know if braking distance has improved.

Managed to get it at 50% new price from a guy dekitting it off his F30.

P.S The rear part number is different on the higher models of the F30 and is NOT a straight plug - play - fouls with the hand brake apparently . I got lucky with my buy.

Man, I really need to dream up a budget and go to town with my car. This seems like such a must-have upgrade.

4. I'm constrained by regulations for exhaust mods so it's only the axle back part of the Remus that I have . They do have a mid pipe available too . And if money and risk taking with inspections weren't an issue , I would ideally want to run a high flow 200 cell downpipe too ( these are very expensive though! )

Cold start is quite loud.
Will try to get a video at some point.

Gentle reminder. I speak for everyone on the forum when I say, really looking forward to hearing this little pocket rocket with that sweet Remus axle back exhaust.

5. The shift knob is a weighted knob made by a UK based company called Storm Motorwerks . Weighs around 450 gms and really changes the shift feel . There is no BMW short shift kit for the F20 unfortunately unlike older models and did not really want to muck around with an aftermarket short shifter kit.
I am really torn up with all the dreamy options that lay in front of me.

a. New exhaust system coupled with let's say, a manual swap, and that yummy weighted knob.

OR

b. A full B58/S55 engine+trans swap, along with all peripherals and supporting parts to go with it from an M140i/F80 M3 or F87 M2 like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyreader View Post
Hi n:CorE,
and shrjun

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
I also have 2014 116i.
Long story short after driving Lancer EX GT for 7 years in Middle East couldn't fall in love with anything in india in my budget and was almost stretching myself to finalize on VW Vento in 2015 but luck has it got this 116i in candy red from BMW Premium Selection with only 4K on odo.
Am not much into driving now because of health issues but the 116i unit I have has been very reliable and dependable.

Would love to get some pointer about the car from you n:CorE and shrjun.....especailly about getting idrive fitted.....if recommended and a music system upgrade....

Thanks again guys....
hope to hear more and stay in touch....

Regards
Sky Reader
Great choice, Skyreader! This little unicorn is indeed distilled driving pleasure without having to break your bank.

Watch out for wear on coil packs and spark plugs (especially when tuned). Do not fill anything < XP95 fuel. This is a high compression engine, its designed to run on high-octane fuel. Standard iDrive can be retrofitted but will require taking apart the whole dash/center fascia. There are android based options that look like stock and have enhanced functionality. Hit up Akshay @ Redline Autohaus, they had the solutions for such a setup the last time I considered it.

Last edited by n:CorE : 7th September 2022 at 13:18.
Old 29th January 2023, 23:18   #20
BHPian

45,000 kms Update:

Car is running beautifully and is loving the cold and dense winter air. Just did a Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai trip this weekend. Unlimited thrills while still managing an amazing fuel economy figure of 13 kmpl. The car is properly hooked up - fast, agile, communicative (and therefore predictable). Simply sticking to your line through the twisties in Lonavala is exhilarating.

The almost 10 year old paintwork on the car was not in great shape. A full body respray was on the cards for me since a while. The 116 just got a whole lot sexier with an overcoat in her original Valencia Orange shade. A truly iconic BMW color, and especially after seeing it pop now, I am glad I resisted the temptation to change it up. I chose to go with gunmetal wheels and accents to complete the look. I have the badges finished in gunmetal as well. You guys think I should put those on, or let her be de-baged?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-20230129_093945.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-20230129_093157.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-20230129_093228.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-20230129_093146.jpg  

n:CorE is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 05:15   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
45,000 kms Update:

Car is running beautifully and is loving the cold and dense winter air. Just did a Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai trip this weekend. Unlimited thrills while still managing an amazing fuel economy figure of 13 kmpl. The car is properly hooked up - fast, agile, communicative (and therefore predictable). Simply sticking to your line through the twisties in Lonavala is exhilarating.

I chose to go with gunmetal wheels and accents to complete the look. I have the badges finished in gunmetal as well. You guys think I should put those on, or let her be de-baged?

Cheers,
Superb. I resonate with you since I have a pre-owned 10 year old Cooper S (R56) and the feeling is much the same even though that is FWD.

This 116i is another rare bird, a modern classic in India and hence, a keeper. That RWD train and ZF AT gearbox is just lovely. Can only wish they had brought in the 135i too. Incidentally even its brother, that 118d, though a diesel, was something else in terms of responsiveness.

I have always been enamoured of the Z4M with its hard top and long bonnet and blistering performance and the 116i in India, somehow evoked those cues in part.

I would suggest that you should keep the badges on your car.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th January 2023 at 05:20.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Superb. I resonate with you since I have a pre-owned 10 year old Cooper S (R56) and the feeling is much the same even though that is FWD.

This 116i is another rare bird, a modern classic in India and hence, a keeper. That RWD train and ZF AT gearbox is just lovely. Can only wish they had brought in the 135i too. Incidentally even its brother, that 118d, though a diesel, was something else in terms of responsiveness.

I have always been enamoured of the Z4M with its hard top and long bonnet and blistering performance and the 116i in India, somehow evoked those cues in part.

I would suggest that you should keep the badges on your car.
The R56 Cooper S & this car share the exact same engine, it is just packaged transversely for FWD, as is characteristic of a Mini! What is the gearbox experience like with the Aisin 6-speed Automatic? Have you ever considered a transmission swap to a 6-speed manual? I really did toy with that idea but the ZF is just too good and convenient to give up.

Plonk a B58 in this chassis, change up a few parts and voila, it can very well become an M140i. I have been following salvage parts dealers on Instagram for the sole reason of finding a B58 engine (in good shape) someday.

I am really amazed at how little people know about this car and the fact that it was even sold to us here in India. I've seen posts on Instagram by Indian "auto-influencers" who continue to identify the 1-series as an X1.

You have hit the hammer on the nail by bringing up the Z4 M Coupe. Short wheelbase, long bonnet & a sweptback silhouette. The design language on this car is surely reminiscent of the BMW sports coupe from that era.

It certainly has all the makings of a modern classic BMW, especially here in India. I am going to hold on to the only RWD hatchback in existence, for a long long while to come!

I guess I had seen an ad on our classifieds page a while ago, are you still looking to sell your Mini or did you have a change of heart? Given that it has the same engine as my car, feel free to share your stories and experiences with your little beast on here as well!

Last edited by n:CorE : 31st January 2023 at 16:22.
Old 5th February 2023, 10:18   #23

Quote:
45,000 kms Update:

The almost 10 year old paintwork on the car was not in great shape. A full body respray was on the cards for me since a while. The 116 just got a whole lot sexier with an overcoat in her original Valencia Orange shade. A truly iconic BMW color, and especially after seeing it pop now, I am glad I resisted the temptation to change it up. I chose to go with gunmetal wheels and accents to complete the look. I have the badges finished in gunmetal as well. You guys think I should put those on, or let her be de-baged?

Cheers,
Next time u plan for Pune, let's meet n greet..
Skyreader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 14:03   #24
BHPian

I know I said I will hold on to her for a long time but being a petrol head, you just can't help but be swayed into new projects with new ideas. The 116 is now on sale. I would love it if she found a new home within our community.

Price is negotiable (much like a friends and family discount) for the TeamBHP fam. Kindly check out the advert on the classifieds page.

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...1-Series.html/
Old 30th June 2023, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I know I said I will hold on to her for a long time but being a petrol head, you just can't help but be swayed into new projects with new ideas. The 116 is now on sale. I would love it if she found a new home within our community.

Price is negotiable (much like a friends and family discount) for the TeamBHP fam. Kindly check out the advert on the classifieds page.

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...1-Series.html/
The 1 series is truly a rare breed in our country. Hope your beloved ride goes to a true enthusiast who will continue taking good care of this beauty!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 11:19   #26
BHPian

Haven't really found a serious buyer. Just a bunch of low ball offers. Yes, it is a 9-year-old car, but it is also built like no other hatchback ever has (and ever will be), was sold in limited numbers, and good examples in the used market are even harder to come by.

My car deserves more than that, in fact what it does deserve is more upgrades, haha. A little sneak peak of what has arrived just this morning from the UK. I just could not resist buying it. More pictures and driving review after its installed.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-alcantara-msport-wheel-wpaddles.jpeg  

Last edited by graaja : 21st August 2023 at 12:45. Reason: Language!
Old 25th September 2023, 19:36   #27

Quote:
My car deserves more than that, in fact what it does deserve is more upgrades, haha. A little sneak peak of what has arrived just this morning from the UK. I just could not resist buying it. More pictures and driving review after its installed.
I was/am considering buying a pre-loved 118d and have read every word of this wonderful, informative thread. Have even bookmarked it, in case I do end up buying this wonderful car. Thank you for the plethora of valuable information provided.

Also, incase you did complete the mod, please do share pictures.
Sanjay Halikar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 11:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Halikar View Post
I was/am considering buying a pre-loved 118d and have read every word of this wonderful, informative thread. Have even bookmarked it, in case I do end up buying this wonderful car. Thank you for the plethora of valuable information provided.

Also, incase you did complete the mod, please do share pictures.
Hello Sanjay! I appreciate your kind words. I love the fact that our community is finally not sleeping on the potential sleeper that is the 1-series.

The boys from "The Drivers Hub" - a multi-platform automotive media organization got in touch with me to feature my build a few weeks back. I happily obliged as I always wanted to make a video on my car.

Shout out to our very own moderator Karan, who can review the hell out of any car, behind the keyboard AND in front of the camera. It really takes a lot of talent and hard work.

I was stoked that Soham from TDH came to my rescue to talk about the car. The team has done a very honest, informative, and genuine review. The only fly in the ointment for me is that the grading on the video is quite off (as also mentioned in the comments on YouTube). The Valencia Orange in all its glory is not coming through at all. In fact, it looks like a fully different, reddish color.

Apart from that, I am pleased with how the TDH team communicated with me during the entire process. They were highly professional, respectful, and grateful for my build. They paid close attention to my feedback and opinions about the car and created a video that showcased them accurately without exaggerating the challenges of owning such a machine.

They will also share the still images they have taken of my car. I will upload them all here once the final editing on those is done.

For now, enjoy this video, and do consider hitting the subscribe button. These guys make really cool tuner car videos featuring the best builds all over the country. It really has been an honor and a pleasure to see my lil' One get featured by TDH.

Cheers,
Akash
n:CorE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The boys from "The Drivers Hub" - a multi-platform automotive media organization got in touch with me to feature my build a few weeks back. I happily obliged as I always wanted to make a video on my car.
Had seen this video yesterday night itself and immediately knew it was a BHPian's Car as I had seen your car in the Classified's section. Lovely car and a really wonderful review indeed!
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 14:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Had seen this video yesterday night itself and immediately knew it was a BHPian's Car as I had seen your car in the Classified's section. Lovely car and a really wonderful review indeed!
Thank you for your kind words! Really appreciate it!

51,000 kms up, she is driving as smoothly as ever. I have been using this car on a daily basis. Ever since I decided I wanted to sell; I find myself making the most of my time left with the lil one. This turbo four-banger really shines fuel economy-wise when the mood takes you. She has been averaging a very respectable 9.5+ kmpl consistently in the last two tankfuls (on my 60/40 Highway/City cycle).

I think the oil diet and fuel quality you use in such a turbo engine make all the difference. I am also amazed at how reliable this build has been from the get-go. I have only had to be on top of the periodic maintenance/wear & tear stuff. The 95+ octane diet for all its life after 19,000 km and being driven regularly has done wonders. Also, there is nothing better for an engine than a good Ol' Italian tune-up from time to time.

I have no doubt that this N13 engine will run well over 150,000 km. It wasn't just awarded the 2013 International Engine of the Year for nothing.

And now for your long weekend delectation, the edited pictures from The Drivers Hub shoot have finally come through. Feast your eyes on the last RWD Hatchback ever sold, in India and around the world.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.50_082cf363.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.50_761b39c6.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.51_12f784de.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.51_cbc8c99f.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.53_5fe7088d.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.53_8dc82015.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.54_6e97dfc7.jpg  

2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback-whatsapp-image-20230928-13.23.54_c637d5f4.jpg  

n:CorE is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks