Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 18:00   #136
BHPian

Re: The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT

Can you tell me where did you get the "ICARUS" sticker from?
Old 12th September 2022, 11:05   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The crash guard has been discussed enough. Let's not take this thread anymore off-topic.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:16   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
is there some other reasons for fitting this rear crash guard.
The sole reason being the very indisciplined and unruly traffic in my city. Nine out of ten cars plying on the roads here have deformed rears, and the main reason for this is rear impact from 2/4 wheelers, whose drivers have brakes "disabled" in their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbharat4u View Post
Any feedback on the dynamic guidelines when the vehicle is being reversed?
No dynamic guidelines present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Can you tell me where did you get the "ICARUS" sticker from?
Carbon Fiber 3D letters, not sticker. These customised letters were made by Amar Jawalkar of Carmetics.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 16:31   #139
BHPian

XUV700Smoke.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The mHawk engine immediately revved up to 2,500RPM by itself and stayed there continuously.
Did you notice any Diesel burning smell and/or smoke under Bonnet while doing this?

I have XUV700 Diesel AT and noticed little smoke few times - which I think is related to automated Regen process which happens on it's own at times.
Please see attached zip file for video (Mods, I wanted to upload mp4 video file but it was giving me invalid file type error. Not sure if there was a better way to use instead of .zip file)

I have completed 3600 Kms and got no warning so far for DPF Regen, even though my usage is generally made up of short frequent city trips.

Last edited by MaanSingh : 6th October 2022 at 16:33.
MaanSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 00:03   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Did you notice any Diesel burning smell and/or smoke under Bonnet while doing this?
No, I did not.

Quote:
I have XUV700 Diesel AT and noticed little smoke few times - which I think is related to automated Regen process which happens on it's own at times.

I have completed 3600 Kms and got no warning so far for DPF Regen, even though my usage is generally made up of short frequent city trips.
I got the warnings only once so far. It was an overcast, dark day with heavy rains lashing us. The Regen process was done in an open area with me inside the car and guided by a CoTek on the phone. Didn't notice any smoke coming out from under the bonnet in the 8-minute period it lasted.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:49   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2365034

A noob question here. My diesel AT AX3 does not have microhybrid and am in the habit of switching off the engine if the wait at a traffic signal is more than 60-75 seconds. Have been doing that in my BS4 Duster for a long time without having to worry about DPF clogging...it doesn't have a DPF. It saves fuel, increases the fuel economy, and generally is a good practice. However, in BS6 diesels, if you switch off the engine in traffic every now and then, will that create a clogging issue? Or should we keep the engine on?

What's recommended?
Old 12th October 2022, 13:34   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
What's recommended?
I don't think switching off engine at traffic lights will create DPF issues as XUV AT is well designed to auto increase RPMs in lower gears which takes care of this.

Have many Kms have you driven by now and have you noticed any errors for DPF yet?

I am hoping XUV700 ATs won't have any issues for DPF at all.
MaanSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Have many Kms have you driven by now and have you noticed any errors for DPF yet?
No errors, only about 1100 kms done so far, and first service is over. I am carrying around 20 liters of DEF in the boot for my Goa trip, which will be around 1200 kms. Am sure I won't need it, but don't want to take a chance.

I want to remove the DPF very soon and make it BS4. And not tell anybody about it at all.
Old 17th October 2022, 13:33   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No errors, only about 1100 kms done so far, and first service is over. I am carrying around 20 liters of DEF in the boot for my Goa trip, which will be around 1200 kms. Am sure I won't need it, but don't want to take a chance.
This is an overkill and is/was not required at all.
The DEF level in the tank is shown under the Fuel Info. You need not worry about refill till the DEF level goes below 50% and you car will show message when the DEF level goes down e.g. Your car will stop after XXXX KM. Also it is better to get the DEF filled at the MASS because any spilage would leave stain marks on the paint.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 18:46   #145
BHPian

Hi All - Just curious to know from people in this group, does AX5 have an option to enable/disable door lock/unlock sound? I do not get any sound while I lock the door so was just curious to know if this feature is available in this variant.
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:54   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
in BS6 diesels, if you switch off the engine in traffic every now and then, will that create a clogging issue? Or should we keep the engine on?
It might not create any DPF/clogging issue per se, but repeated shutoff of the engine between short distances (such as between traffic signals) is not recommended. For one, it affects the overall shelf life of the engine plus in modern-day diesels equipped with turbochargers, you run the risk of blowing your turbo early. Turbochargers require a bit of time to warm up and reach their optimum operating temperature and doing repeated engine shutoffs will definitely affect them. This is the reason why idling is important for a diesel equipped with a heavy-duty turbocharger.

I am no expert on this matter and this is from my limited knowledge. Forum experts may chime in and guide you better in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbharat4u View Post
Just curious to know from people in this group, does AX5 have an option to enable/disable door lock/unlock sound?
Lock/unlock sounds such as horn beeps or chirps ala Hyundais/Marutis? The AX5 doesn't come with any such feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's been awhile since I posted an update. Life's been too busy with the daily grind, health issues and job pressures taking centerstage. So, taking a moment to give everyone a heads-up on my front.

Had another tryst with the DPF-Regen issue earlier this month while dropping off my little one for a birthday party. My running has been all inside the city since the past 2 months so this was a given. Did the manual Regen parked by the roadside in an open, unpopulated stretch which lasted for around 23 minutes after which all was normal again.

6:49 PM to 7:12 PM.
I am guessing soot levels were near the 25-gram mark.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221105_185011.jpg

Finally managed to get the seat covers and steering cover fitted on Saturday, the 17th. Took the entire day to get the work done as the boys weren't used to working with 7OOs and were fumbling a lot during the removal of seats and fitting them back inside (specially the tumbling 2nd row seat which took an hour to get fitted back!). The OEM Art leather Deco stitch seat covers look semi-decent in their bucket-fitting avatar but I am not satisfied with their appearance and overall quality. The foam and the leather thickness aren't as good as Autoform's. Let's see how long they last before I switch - maybe just go for the Nappa leather option. Again, depending solely on my mood.

Work starts.
Name:  IMG_9650.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  152.5 KB

All seats removed.
Name:  IMG_9654.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  142.4 KB

Finished front passenger seat.
Name:  IMG_9651.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  122.1 KB

Steering cover chosen.
Name:  IMG_9662.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  110.9 KB

Stitching in progress.
Name:  IMG_9659.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  102.6 KB

Will post better, complete pics in the days to come.

Absolutely no updates on the front door harnesses which are required to enable the power-folding ORVMs. I did receive a call from the dealership in mid-October to bring in Icarus for the Apple CarPlay (and related) updates but since I went through a big health-related scare during Diwali time and then November came up which is my appraisal month, it's gotten delayed.

I had a triangular trip planned to Puri - Konark - Visakhapatnam - Araku and back before my health scare, so that's postponed for now. Hopefully soon.

The XUV is a wonderful machine. Despite it's dimensions, it's easy to drive the lumbering Mahindra within city confines. My only grouse is the initial shift from 1st to 2nd gear which is tough and keeps me very apprehensive during the start of any journey. It makes me think if I should have extended my budgets and gotten the AT instead.

Except for the minor niggles related to the resets of the USB drive every now and then, and Google Maps disappearing and reappearing from Android Auto on it's own, everything else is smooth. No suspension noise, no football in the boot, and no scratches/scrapes so far (touchwood!).

Mechanically, it's a very sound machine. Electronics - let's just say that they still have a long, long way to go.

ODO is nearing the 3,000 kms mark.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd November 2022 at 21:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 23:10   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Better pics of the OEM Black Deco-stitch seat cover set, as promised:-

Front seats - under the evening sun.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_143947.jpg

Rear seats - likewise.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_144043.jpg

Front seats - in the shade.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_144222.jpg

Rear seats - likewise.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_144301.jpg

Rear armrest.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_144053.jpg

They aren't black, but more in the ash grey shade. As can be judged from the headrest fittings, they don't sit flush either (except for the last row headrests). I have noticed two more issues - the tumbling rear seat doesnt' tumble completely after the seat cover fitment, and the rear armrest doesn't close in fully into it's section. Overall, I am not impressed.

Not recommended if you are going for a lower (MX, AX3, AX5) variant. Your best option is to go aftermarket. I am sticking with them for now.

Steering cover by Autoform.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_162850.jpg

Stitching pattern.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_162904.jpg

After a long pending body wash.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_163042.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_162938.jpg

Alloys sparkle at their best when they are fully clean.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-20221124_163023.jpg

I have switched to driving in the "Zip" mode in the past few days. Zap mode is overkill for driving inside city limits, specially on the roads filled with the recently-concluded festive season crowds.

Next update will be the Apple CarPlay flashing and (hopefully) a resolution to the power-folding ORVMs issue, which will make the AX5 a more rounded off variant.

I hate having the dummy ORVM folding switch on my driver's door, knowing that it is useless for now. The techs and the CRM say that the BCM module of the AX5 doesn't support power-folding ORVMs and that the front door harnesses of the AX7 won't help, even if they are installed.

But then again, they said the same thing about the OEM AX7 reverse camera too, didn't they? And we all know how that went.

I am determined to make this work, by hook or by crook. Wish me luck.

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th November 2022 at 23:13.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 22:40   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

We made our first outstation trip as a family on Christmas Day - to the temple shrine of Maa Danteshwari at Dantewada - which was a round trip of around 180 kms. Started late at almost noon time and returned at nightfall, after making an evening stop for snacks on the return journey.

Princess Isha sneaked a pic of the flying speedo.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-2.jpg

Posing at the temple of Banjaran Maata, just before the town of Geedam.
Name:  3w.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  201.7 KB

Yours truly!
Name:  4w.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  130.9 KB

The entrance to Maa Danteshwari Temple, Dantewada. Legend has it that a tooth (daant) of Maa Sati fell down here, hence the town name.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-7.jpg

Maa Danteshwari - the most revered diety of all Chhattisgarh and one of the 52 Shakti Peeths across India.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-71.jpg

Outside with Ma & my better half.
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  113.9 KB

Princess Isha beaming in the evening sun.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-12.jpg

Snacks stop on return journey.
Enjoying some local chaat, gupchup, badam doodh, lassi and cakes.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-13.jpg

Journey details captured by AdrenoX app.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-screenshot_adrenox-connect.jpg

Some other updates:-

- Received a call from Paramount last week regarding the arrival of the door harnesses and assorted fitments for my pending auto-folding ORVMs enabling.
- That was followed by a call from the CRM, Bhubaneshwar, saying that the rear sequential turn indicators for Icarus has arrived at Paramount as well.
- Enquired about the Lower Arm + bush assembly replacement for my 7OO and if it was applicable, and the CRM said that they would test my XUV and then decide if replacement was needed. Part kit was available with them.

Part Number = 0401BBC0005KT. (Arm Lower Control Assembly Kit)
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-untitled.jpg

- Enquired about the CSC (Clutch Concentric Slave Cylinder) replacement and if it was applicable to my XUV's VIN, and he said they will check with the system when I bring Icarus over. If it was a listed pending job, it will be done.
- Flashing of the AdrenoX software to the latest version will be done as well.

Scheduled an appointment for 31st December, Saturday, for all pending jobs to be completed. Hopefully the start of 2023 will mark the end of all these jobs and only service runs to the dealership remain on agenda for the future.

ODO is presently at 3,553 kms. Fuelio pegs the overall FE figure at 12.54 km/l. The XUV7OO remains a real hoot to drive, be it inside the city or on such short highway jaunts.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th December 2022 at 23:07. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:13   #149
Senior - BHPian

Belated congratulations, loved the detailed review. Iv been thinking about posting my own but i dont have the level of knowledge or the patience needed to pen down such a quality thread. Ill still give it a try in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Some other updates:-

- Received a call from Paramount last week regarding the arrival of the door harnesses and assorted fitments for my pending auto-folding ORVMs enabling.

This is what i sorely miss in the car every single time i drive it. I asked everybody at the service center and they all advised against getting after market power orvm`s even if they are genuine mahindra parts. On the other hand the popular accessory showrooms here are doing dozens of them on a daily basis with no issues reported.

Quote:
Scheduled an appointment for 31st December, Saturday, for all pending jobs to be completed. Hopefully the start of 2023 will mark the end of all these jobs and only service runs to the dealership remain on agenda for the future.
Did you finally get them installed successfully from Mahindra ? Can you please share the detailed process so that i can show it to my service manager ?

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 5th January 2023 at 15:14.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 15:30   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much, faithless_1984.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
This is what i sorely miss in the car every single time i drive it. I asked everybody at the service center and they all advised against getting after market power orvm`s even if they are genuine mahindra parts. On the other hand the popular accessory showrooms here are doing dozens of them on a daily basis with no issues reported.
Apprehensions regarding wire cutting/splicing can be put to rest if the authorised service center staff do it themselves, because they use relays, harnesses and connectors to get the job done and the warranty stays intact this way.

Quote:
Did you finally get them installed successfully from Mahindra ?
Yes, the job was completed.

Quote:
Can you please share the detailed process so that i can show it to my service manager ?
Didn't follow the entire procedure step-by-step since I wasn't there for the full time, but I shall do my best. You need the power-folding ORVM switch, the AX7 front door harnesses, a related front door harness pigtail and a relay by RD. In fact, it can be done without the AX7 parts too, as was told to me by my fitment guy.

-------------------------------------

So, including the short trip on December 25th and the showroom run on December 31st, it was a combined travel of nearly 500 kms in 6 days - the most for me in the shortest duration till now.

Reached the showroom at 10:30 AM on 31st December and listed all the jobs to be done.

1) Rear sequential turn indicator-equipped tail lamps to be installed.
2) TPMS to be installed. (thank you, Sommos!)
3) Auto-folding ORVMs to be completed.
4) VIN check - for possible CSC replacement and any other replacements, updates and/or service actions listed for Icarus.
5) Front suspension lower arm & bushes check. Replace if required.
6) AdrenoX software updated to the latest version.
7) DPF reading.
8) Washing.

They started with the ORVM work while I made myself comfortable in the customer lounge. Both front doorpads were removed and the harnesses were replaced, but the auto-folding didn't work. The Co-Tek came over and pored through all options in his laptop but couldn't find any for enabling this. Finally, they did some extra wiring work and added a relay to the setup, and it started working. Smoothly, like a charm!

But, this work took nearly all the time from morning till evening. It was a long, painful process involving lots of brainstorming and "let's try this, let's try that" thoughts. What this did was make the AdrenoX software update a pending job, because this requires leaving the XUV free and alone for at least an hour/hour and half while the software update is on, else you run the risk of losing your silverbox!

At 3:45 PM in the afternoon, other boys came over and replaced the rear tail lights. All four sections of the tail lamps were replaced and we all said hello to - the new rear sequential indicating tail lamp blinkers!

Finally, a long wait of more than 8 months came to an end. Thank you, Mahindra!

They started on the TPMS installation next. Wheels came off one by one as they were re-fitted by the tyre sensors and filled with nitrogen, before fitting them back into their respective wheel wells. I asked for a sensor for the spare tyre also. The TPMS had been enabled in the morning itself via laptop - it was just a question of completing the sensors' learning process now. Unfortunately, while the rear two tyre sensors learned pretty quickly, the front two tyre sensors plus the spare tyre sensor couldn't learn till it was closing time, even after a short run through the roads outside the service center. So that had to be kept aside as a pending job, together with the AdrenoX software update.

My XUV's VIN was not listed for the CSC replacement job, nor for any other service action. The techs and the Co-Tek who had taken Icarus for a run outside for the TPMS learning process said that the front and rear suspension was good and didn't cause any squeaks or sounds, so the front or rear lower arms and related bushes didn't need to be changed. So that was another relief. Washing and DPF reading was skipped for now.

Another visit is now required for the AdrenoX software update + the TPMS learning, possibly by next weekend. The job card has been kept open for this. Paid around Rs 7,000/- for a pre-voucher total and the gate pass was waived.

Left the showroom at 7:45 PM and reached home at 9:15 PM, just in time to head out to a New Year's function with the family.

All ready.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1281.jpg

Part numbers of the front door harnesses of the AX7.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1287.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1288.jpg

Part number of the driver door pigtail from the AX7.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1286.jpg

ORVM work begins.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1290.jpg

TPMS enabled via laptop.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1306.jpg

Original tail lamps came off.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1308.jpg

Icarus - the center of attention!
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1309.jpg

Tyre removed for sensor installation and nitrogen filling.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1310.jpg

Got the extra glue of the corner protectors removed by a rubbing compound.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1314.jpg

Surprised to see a paint chip!
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1315.jpg

All tyre sensors fitted.
Learning process, unfortunately, was incomplete. Next time!
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_1320.jpg

Part numbers of all 4 tail light sections - two on the boot lid and two on the body.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_e1302.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_e1301.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_e1305.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_e1304.jpg

Part number of the TPMS tyre sensor.
You need 4 (or 5, if you want the spare wheel's) of these - one for each tyre.
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-img_e1319.jpg

Rear sequential turn indicators -check!

Power-folding ORVMs - check!

Fuelio points out that the overall FE is 12.7kmpl, with the best being 19.88kmpl between the last 2 fillups. Here are the Fuelio screenshots (from D-day, most recent at top):

The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-screenshot_20230107_151325_fuelio.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-screenshot_20230107_151413_fuelio.jpg
The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-screenshot_20230107_151437_fuelio.jpg

ODO is currently at 3,868 kms.

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th January 2023 at 15:48. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks