Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 21:32   #106
sbm
BHPian

Re: The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT

If the local service centre had been allowed to diagnose your car, the threshold value for park regen would have been known to us. Anyways, since my car's first 1000kms are over now, I am now maintaining higher rpms and shifting a little higher hoping to avoid soot deposit. Other than that I am hoping that I'll be able to take my car to my workplace once I get the RC by next week, the commute is 10km-15minute each way free run and hopefully that will compensate for city runs.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:12   #107
BHPian

I have a Hector diesel. I have driven it some 21K in last one year with no DPF warning till date. The advice I follow is to drive at right rpm of 2000 or more where possible. We typically have habit to upshift quickly and I had same. Driving at right rpm I guess will help to prevent soot build up.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 06:29. Reason: Spacing
FiatDiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 13:56   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Driving at right rpm I guess will help to prevent soot build up.
A minor inconvenience a lot of people have voiced in the diesel AT is that it stays in 2nd gear for a bit too long, now I'm beginning to wonder whether this is related to DPF and possibly why people with AT (including me) haven't really faced this issue so early. It makes sense that the car intelligently manages the rpm range for AT transmissions to keep soot at bay.
Tanmay007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

If you are doing regular short trips and in-city commutes at slower speeds, expect the warnings to pop up sooner than later.
I am hoping or wishing that these DPF warnings do not appear in Diesel automatics (fingers crossed)
Old 27th July 2022, 20:29   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
A minor inconvenience a lot of people have voiced in the diesel AT is that it stays in 2nd gear for a bit too long, now I'm beginning to wonder whether this is related to DPF and possibly why people with AT (including me) haven't really faced this issue so early. It makes sense that the car intelligently manages the rpm range for AT transmissions to keep soot at bay.
This might be an OT in this thread, but I too have this doubt. I recently got the Sonet D AT and I feel that the car revs a bit more to my liking in the 2nd and 3rd gears. I might be comparing apples to oranges, but I didn't notice any such behavior in the Sonet DCT. But from your post I think my feeling is correct.

I enquired with the service guy regarding the DPF issues especially with the D AT cars, and they too didn't have anything significant to report. So possibly that might be the way it is tuned.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 21:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This might be an OT in this thread, but I too have this doubt. I recently got the Sonet D AT and I feel that the car revs a bit more to my liking in the 2nd and 3rd gears. I might be comparing apples to oranges, but I didn't notice any such behavior in the Sonet DCT. But from your post I think my feeling is correct.

I enquired with the service guy regarding the DPF issues especially with the D AT cars, and they too didn't have anything significant to report. So possibly that might be the way it is tuned.
I think what you are talking here is classic behaviour of a Torque Converter. It holds the 2 gear for longer because its still in fluid coupling phase, once the required torque is achieved, the lock up clutch engages after which things are smooth. This can be overcome if you kind of revv off right from the start, the torque in the 7OO engine can mask the lag under good acceleration from start.

This is why you also don't see this in a DCT, that's a completely different beast
shrk_18 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrk_18 View Post
I think what you are talking here is classic behaviour of a Torque Converter. It holds the 2 gear for longer because its still in fluid coupling phase, once the required torque is achieved, the lock up clutch engages after which things are smooth. This can be overcome if you kind of revv off right from the start, the torque in the 7OO engine can mask the lag under good acceleration from start.

This is why you also don't see this in a DCT, that's a completely different beast
I donot understand the technicalities of a TC gearbox, but I own a Honda city 2009 AT with TC gearbox and it behaves in the same way in 2nd or 3rd gear. You're correct in that.
Old 30th July 2022, 20:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how much fuel such a parked regen consumes. Might have to take frequency of regeneration and forced highway trips at high rpms into consideration while calculating average fuel economy / cost per kms for a diesel car now, along with increased service costs and DEF price when comparing against the equivalent petrol models. I'm wondering whether there is even any savings left at all from the higher mileage and lower costs of diesel fuel.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:18   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Found out another feature of the skyroof yesterday - it comes with a built-in speed sensor.

I was returning from a short trip and had the skyroof popped open backwards in fresh air mode. As soon as I crossed 60kmph, the MID displayed an alert saying "High speed detected. Close skyroof immediately."

And, apparently the whole DPF clogging/Regen issue I had faced didn't go unnoticed. Received plenty of calls from the Area office managers all through last week asking for full details of the incident, saying that the matter had been escalated to VP levels at Mahindra Corporate by the company's media-monitoring team. I was ticked off by the way I had been returned back from the local dealership so gave them an earful. While admitting that my concern as a premium XUV7OO owner and facing such a critical issue was genuine and legit, the Area managers also voiced the same reasons about the dealership's service center not being authorised for attending to any XUV7OO.

I asked just one question - what if the soot levels inside the DPF filter had exceeded safe levels and the manual Park Regen process was unable to remove it and instead caused more harm and damage to the XUV's engine and it's emission systems and critical parts? How was I to know how much congestion was inside the DPF without any readings? Didn't I take a huge risk by doing this myself? I was lucky that the soot levels were low and the Regen process was done within 10 minutes. What if the XUV's entire system was damaged beyond repairable levels in my still-new car due to this incident? To this question, they had no answer.

Net result - effective immediately, the local service center has been issued fresh instructions to admit any/all XUV7OOs in the future for problem/issue resolutions. The dealership is already on full steam ahead mode to restart full operations from August onwards anyway, so future periodic services of the XUV7OO will also be attended to. A small win for us XUV owners who reside in similar areas nationwide.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st August 2022 at 15:45. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:46   #115
BHPian

Quote:
What if the XUV's entire system was damaged beyond repairable levels in my still-new car due to this incident? To this question, they had no answer.
I'm surprised they had no answer to this! The answer is this won't happen. The car will enter limp mode when DPF is nearly choked.

Quote:
How was I to know how much congestion was inside the DPF without any readings?
There will be several warning levels issued to the user, as per the manual in total 3. If user continues to ignore DEF warnings then finally at the last level you'll have to visit the service center.

The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT-screenshot-20220801-8.59.01-pm.png

From an user experience perspective this is the correct way to go about it. User does not need to know the exact soot level in grams, that is meaningless to most end users.

Quote:
Net result - effective immediately, the local service center has been issued fresh instructions to admit any/all XUV7OOs in the future for problem/issue resolutions
I know I should be happy about this but it's a double edged sword. Without proper training no technician should be allowed to even touch such a complex car. And looking at people's experiences, especially in remote areas, most technicians are not well trained.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 1st August 2022 at 21:05. Reason: Had posted incorrect error codes related to dosing malfunction before. That is likely a very different issue.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 21:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received plenty of calls from the Area office managers all through last week asking for full details of the incident, saying that the matter had been escalated to VP levels at Mahindra Corporate by the company's media-monitoring team.
Isn't this DPF Regen thing a known (read infamous) issue? I had this on my BS6 Scorpio a couple of months back and I dropped by a service center where they kept it on a stand still high rpm run and got rid of it. A 25 mins job by a technician. Even the service center manager was not involved. Wouldn't a nice highway run once in a few weeks keep you off this. What is this escalation to VP levels and all about, sorry, just curious and trying to understand?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st August 2022 at 22:17.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 22:08   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While admitting that my concern as a premium XUV7OO owner and facing such a critical issue was genuine and legit, the Area managers also voiced the same reasons about the dealership's service center not being authorised for attending to any XUV7OO.

I asked just one question - what if the soot levels inside the DPF filter had exceeded safe levels and the manual Park Regen process was unable to remove it and instead caused more harm and damage to the XUV's engine and it's emission systems and critical parts? How was I to know how much congestion was inside the DPF without any readings? Didn't I take a huge risk by doing this myself? I was lucky that the soot levels were low and the Regen process was done within 10 minutes. What if the XUV's entire system was damaged beyond repairable levels in my still-new car due to this incident? up
DPFs are not something exclusive to the XUV700 and isn't a new technology across the world and now across our country. And every diesel BS6 car owner should be aware of this both before buying the car as well as while using it. Sorry to say but I feel it has been blown out of proportion here. If we let the DPF work as it should and follow the instructions/Indications, there is no reason why it will get clogged to an extent that would cause permanent damage. Normally auto regen takes care of the entire soot management when the usage of the car permits it to happen. But if that's not practical then manual regen will have to be promptly performed be it driving for long distance or park regeneration, which is again common across almost every car with DPF. Here we are still talking about around 50% soot accumulation. So there is still a long way until the DPF can be abused before it gets to worrying states.

Now that what is done is done, this is not the end. You will keep getting such prompts at regular intervals as long as you do short distance or very sedate drives. Hence, it might not be practical to involve the ASC every time. I know it might sound offending but just calling a spade a spade.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:06   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised they had no answer to this! The answer is this won't happen. The car will enter limp mode when DPF is nearly choked.
The car's chip is programmed to limit speeds to 40kmph when the system detects soot accumulation is around 40-45g. At around 55-60g and above, the engine will refuse to start. That's what the techs who have been servicing Scorpios & other BS6 Mahindra cars regularly in this area told me.

Corporate managers handling customer care services might not be in the know about this. Maybe that's why the guys chose to be silent. Who knows? I don't.

Quote:
There will be several warning levels issued to the user, as per the manual in total 3.
For someone who encounters this for the very first time, that too during a family medical run, would it be prudent for him to sit and go through the manual in pouring rains or pay a visit to the local service center and get it diagnosed so that the situation is cleared to him and his mind is free from all apprehensions?

Quote:
User does not need to know the exact soot level in grams, that is meaningless to most end users.
Why not? For someone who is trying to understand his car with each passing day of his ownership, and is totally new to BS6 diesels, this knowledge about soot level thresholds is important. How much is acceptable, what's the minimum or maximum? Or maybe it wasn't even an issue with the DPF at all but just a set of random gremlin hits all over again? Can an owner know this and be absolutely sure of it??

Quote:
Without proper training no technician should be allowed to even touch such a complex car. And looking at people's experiences, especially in remote areas, most technicians are not well trained.
That's the thing - the techs at this service center ARE trained! I came to know this later through trusty sources. They have attended the training sessions for the 7OO. Only because the dealership's front-end sales section was blacklisted due to infra not being updated, the service center people weren't allowed to even touch my XUV. I repeat - they are fully trained and well capable of handling XUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Wouldn't a nice highway run once in a few weeks keep you off this. What is this escalation to VP levels and all about, sorry, just curious and trying to understand?
I have highway runs every fortnight. I am not allowed to drive extensively for long stretches because of my heart condition but I do make it a point to make a 180-200 km round trip run under any pretext - be it to visit relatives across the state border, to the dealership proper or to nearby areas around my city for random tours.

My post from the previous page about me troubleshooting my own 7OO due to the clogged DPF & doing a self-manual Park Regen process came to M&M's attention through their media team - that's how it got escalated to their higher-ups internally. I was told about this over the phonecall I received from the Area office manager last week, in the first of a series of phonecalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sorry to say but I feel it has been blown out of proportion here. If we let the DPF work as it should and follow the instructions/Indications, there is no reason why it will get clogged to an extent that would cause permanent damage.
My dear friend, for someone who is going through several medical issues and is not used to seeing such errors on a regular basis, a first-time incident such as this will definitely catch him off guard. I am not inside my car 24/07/365 to know everything about it from the first fitted nut and bolt till the last - I am learning this, and everything else about my XUV, as the days and experiences pile on into my ownership period.

All instructions are being followed. Regular running is being maintained. Higher RPM running is being maintained. Hence these alerts/warnings were a surprise and a cause for worry.

Easy for you to say that everything was blown out of proportion from where you are sitting. You need to be in my shoes and see it from my perspective, too.

Quote:
So there is still a long way until the DPF can be abused before it gets to worrying states.
This is exactly why this came as a surprise to the owner (myself), to the service managers and the techs involved. For such a minor regen issue, the alerts should not have popped up. That's why I said in my earlier post that I initially suspected a cranky sensor doing foul play.

Quote:
Hence, it might not be practical to involve the ASC every time. I know it might sound offending but just calling a spade a spade.
Read the above, and my original post on the issue in it's entirety again, and maybe that will clarify things a bit more.

I am not easily offended, but I am rather disappointed that my post might have conveyed all the wrong impressions about what all I faced that day, where I was coming from, what all was plaguing my mind before the MID warnings popped up, the situation I found myself in, and my confusion regarding all of it. I might be coming across as some kind of a dunce or a complete novice, but since I can't explain every situation I am going through in my life right now in this thread or on Team-BHP in general, so it's best that from henceforth, I shall keep such incidents to myself and be completely silent.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd August 2022 at 01:33. Reason: Added.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 02:29   #119
BHPian

Quote:
so it's best that from henceforth, I shall keep such incidents to myself and be completely silent.
Please don’t. Every weekend I look forward to your updates and I get to learn some new thing cause of it. Sharing experiences, no matter how trivial they might seem to a few will always end up helping a lot more. I hope you keep sharing as you do.
Tanmay007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:33   #120
sbm
BHPian

@Ravenavi, please keep posting your experiences. Many of us have your thread in our subscribed list
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks