Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 13:51   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Do you mean the Superb was too much for you? Didnt you feel like the Vento was a big downgrade?

Loved your story and the guts to get another VAG after facing troubles with an one. Most people would shy away after being bitten once. Including many enthusiasts.
Thanks! The car itself wasn't too much but the reliability (or lack thereof) was a pain. Could have still kept the car but decided to cut the losses. Too much would have been driving around in a 5.0 supercharged XJ.

Having driven the Superb, the Vento definitely is a down grade but handles sharper and I don't have to be paranoid on a 2000km road trip. I put in a lot of effort and green to keep the Superb in top shape but it never responded well because what the previous owners had done was beyond fixing. Nobody should treat a car like that. Curse you, M. V. Reddy. You don't deserve a Superb.

Possibly moving to a Fortuner after a few years. The touring bug has bitten me and I like the crudeness of the 1st gen Fortuner. Had one for a few days last month, just kept driving it all the time.

Superb/Vento are the polar opposite of Fortuner. I fell in love when I cranked it first and the entire cabin shook violently. The body twists every time I rev it. Nobody bullied me on the road. Potholes don't mean anything. Loved every bit of the crude brute.

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-7_speed_seraph080620220001.jpg

My ideal garage would be a 320d/530d along with a Fortuner but I can have only one so there you have it. If I have the budget, I'll get both together or a combo value pack, which would be an F15 X5. Unlikely that I'll ever have such a magnanimous budget.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 8th June 2022 at 13:52.
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 11:24   #32
BHPian

Things just got better. Have paddle shifters now.
Only remaining items are a remap and bigger tyres for more GC.

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-img20220701wa0013.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-img_20220701_211940.jpg
Old 4th August 2022, 09:34   #33
BHPian

Installed extenders and didn't drive much after that. I really need an outing.

The quality is exceptional and they are made out of steel. Stuck using 3M tape provided in the box. Sturdy for now. Let's see how long the tape lasts.

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-4714c9e1e33c47f1879358e8a547596e.jpeg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-0d8509708286465dbf8daba75f1ab15f.jpeg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-1781ab94b7ed4d17b8a22ecfc751b36e.jpeg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-0e2570530d10438c82bb525228d51b09.jpeg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-12cb008324304dc5ab882cc0087f57fc.jpeg

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 4th August 2022 at 09:35.
vredesbyrd is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:46   #34
BHPian

Wow that looks interesting, but the first thought that came to my mind is resemblance of the red painted horns on the face painted at the back of commercial vehicles often accompanied by:

"Buri Nazar Wale Tera Mooh Kala".

A red tongue decal could complete the picture.

Please pardon me for this take (good luck charm) which is hard to unlearn.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 4th August 2022 at 09:47.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 18:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Installed extenders and didn't drive much after that. I really need an outing.

The quality is exceptional and they are made out of steel. Stuck using 3M tape provided in the box. Sturdy for now. Let's see how long the tape lasts.
These look really cool!

Where did you buy these from? How much did they cost?
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 01:46   #36
BHPian

Excellent thread vredesbyrd. Had me chuckling from time to time.

I love the paddle shifter extenders you've got and would like to know the cost and from where you sourced those. Would be a good addition on my Taigun's steering wheel.

I'd somehow ditched the idea of owning a vento while on the hunt for my first car and ended up with a Taigun. Your post makes me wonder what'd my life be if I bought a Vento instead.

I can relate to how people bully cars of this size, my Taigun gets no different treatment.

If you do go end up with the Fortuner (or any other BoF for that matter) and the overlanding bug bites you, consider getting a roof top tent as well. I'm contemplating getting one added on the roof rails of my car. There are a couple of drawbacks of having a tent on the roof, mileage drop being the number one reason why most people stay away from them - but the convenience they provide is one reason I've not chucked that idea altogether. On my road trip to Manali, I saw one Honda WRV had a roof top tent by adventure huts mounted on it. They're reasonably priced as well as opposed to the ones from a thule or tepui.
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
"Buri Nazar Wale Tera Mooh Kala".

A red tongue decal could complete the picture.

Please pardon me for this take (good luck charm) which is hard to unlearn.
My mom did say the same thing! My childhood was spent peeking under trucks and looking at the "rakshas" painted on the differentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
These look really cool!

Where did you buy these from? How much did they cost?
Thanks! Got them from Amazon Japan as our local Amazon is overpriced, perpetually out of stock and just terrible for everything that I need.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cost about 5000 Yen (INR 3000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Excellent thread vredesbyrd. Had me chuckling from time to time.

I love the paddle shifter extenders you've got and would like to know the cost and from where you sourced those. Would be a good addition on my Taigun's steering wheel.

I'd somehow ditched the idea of owning a vento while on the hunt for my first car and ended up with a Taigun. Your post makes me wonder what'd my life be if I bought a Vento instead.

I can relate to how people bully cars of this size, my Taigun gets no different treatment.

If you do go end up with the Fortuner (or any other BoF for that matter) and the overlanding bug bites you, consider getting a roof top tent as well. I'm contemplating getting one added on the roof rails of my car. There are a couple of drawbacks of having a tent on the roof, mileage drop being the number one reason why most people stay away from them - but the convenience they provide is one reason I've not chucked that idea altogether. On my road trip to Manali, I saw one Honda WRV had a roof top tent by adventure huts mounted on it. They're reasonably priced as well as opposed to the ones from a thule or tepui.
Congratulations! By not driving a Vento, all you'll miss out on is sharp cornering and the worry of ground clearance.

Ah yes, a Fortuner (or an Endeavour) is on the books in the next 2-3 years, provided I can leave this firm for a decent salary. Overlanding bug will bite me hard once I do get a 4x4.
However, instead of tenting, I have a different plan altogether. Have a look at this:

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-toyotafortunerdcdesigncaptainseats.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-dctoyotafortuner1200x720.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-dc221024x655.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-dcdesigngwagonloungetoyotafortuner1.jpg

I do want to walk down this path, sans the ugly screens. Also, not too much focus on luxury lounge experience but rather the 3rd row being big and comfy chairs that turn into bed capsules.
Will definitely have to do something about luggage capacity though.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 11:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:

However, instead of tenting, I have a different plan altogether. Have a look at this.

I do want to walk down this path, sans the ugly screens. Also, not too much focus on luxury lounge experience but rather the 3rd row being big and comfy chairs that turn into bed capsules.
Wow, great ideas. I would love tenting and / or luxury lounge experiences setup, but I am not clear about safety risks associated with these. Do we have necessary environment in India for such things?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th August 2022 at 11:02.
Old 6th August 2022, 11:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks! Got them from Amazon Japan
Thank you, ordered one in black.

Quote:
Congratulations! By not driving a Vento, all you'll miss out on is sharp cornering and the worry of ground clearance.

Ah yes, a Fortuner (or an Endeavour) is on the books in the next 2-3 years, provided I can leave this firm for a decent salary. Overlanding bug will bite me hard once I do get a 4x4.
However, instead of tenting, I have a different plan altogether. Have a look at this:

Will definitely have to do something about luggage capacity though.
I know we're discussing things planned far off in the future but, If solo'ing, you can have a flat bed, and some storage space in the rear of the car.

I'm planning to do this on our Innova. Check out Foresty Forest on youtube for the layout. The only thing is that the setup might be a bit cramped. It still works for me in the innova as I'm 5'5 so I tuck in perfectly.

Foresty Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Wow, great ideas. I would love tenting and / or luxury lounge experiences setup, but I am not clear about safety risks associated with these. Do we have necessary environment in India for such things?
It is in nascent stages, from what I see on youtube at least. Mostly since we don't have the dedicated camping infra like in European countries, a lot of preplanning is required. I'm yet to come across a car campsite in India.
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Things just got better. Have paddle shifters now.
Only remaining items are a remap and bigger tyres for more GC.

Attachment 2330146

Attachment 2330147
Congratulations on the purchase and the car looks clean and clean. Coming from a 2014 vento tsi, I've just picked up a polo gt tsi 2017.

I'm curious about the paddle shifter wheel. Could you please share the part number as headlights and paddle shifter wheel are the first 2 mods i want to make.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post
I'm curious about the paddle shifter wheel. Could you please share the part number as headlights and paddle shifter wheel are the first 2 mods i want to make.
Congrats about the GT TSI. That engine just loves to rev.

I sourced the steering wheel from that.red.sells(Instagram). He's a bhpian as well. Not sure of the part number but works just like the previous steering wheel.

All cars 2016+ have plug and play support and do not require extra modules or coding. So that's one headache resolved (unlike BMW F30 where one has to do wiring as well)
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 10:21   #42
BHPian

Small Update

As some of you may already know, Dad drives the Vento now.
As for me? Well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-_dsf3142.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-_dsf3287.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-dscf3087.jpg

The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-dscf3064.jpg
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks