Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2022, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Coming from the Superb. A Vento. 1.5 diesel mill. DQ200.
Deja vu (for me).

Super stuff

From guts to glory! Great story there, keep them coming. Congrats.
Thank you! Seeing you make that nice ownership review on the A4 got me pumped up!
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 14:15   #17
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Thank you for the kind words! I take a no-guts, no-glory approach towards cars and computer hardware
Ayy a fellow weeb (gamer? That OLED monitor is huge!) and car enthusiast!

Fun fact, no guts no glory was one of my CS clan names in some low-profile cafe tournament back when gaming cafes were a thing (and I ran on a toaster of a PC)

Great thread, good storytelling. Thanks for the entertainment!

The Vento and Rapid were to be honest one of the most practical options in that price range for an enjoyable driving experience, great choice. I wish I could get a TDI with DSG combo in this day and age without worrying about reliability too, but Taco with his manual is quite a different kind of fun as well, love revving the nuts off this engine!

"I don't drive every day but when I do, it should be fun."

Amen, words to live by.

Last edited by Sen : 4th June 2022 at 14:25.
Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 14:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:

[*]Super small footprint, so easy to just take about anywhere, especially after driving the Superb in places like BTM layout, Koramangala, Charbagh and Aminabad.
You should stay away from these places if you drive anything bigger than a City/Vento/Verna
The only thing that came to my mind after reading you drove a Superb in Charbagh and Aminabad area.

Name:  Dv1HKinU0AE7dO.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  56.9 KB

(photo credits: memegenerator.net)

That said, loved the way you wrote about your cars. I enjoyed my lunch break reading your post.
Will be waiting to read about your travelogues from Manipal, was about to take admission there for B.Tech but ended up with the Jaipur campus as it was nearer to Lucknow.
AROO7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 16:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
It's a band called Between The Buried And Me. Technical Progressive Metal. Quite difficult to play their riffs and solos. On the other hand, I did an Aerials cover sometime back. Feel free to check it out:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=wqq-aakWIyo
I will check them out for sure, I love to play technical stuff (albeit on the drums, gojira is a favourite). Also that's a good cover great job.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 17:14   #20

Quote:
Skoda Lucknow, 1800km away from Bangalore. One of the best Skoda service center in the country.
And their VW counterparts as well are worth the praise. They take a lot of time due to complimentary wash queue. If washing is rectified, i guess they can return the car in a couple of hours in morning (periodic service).

Quote:
Charbagh and Aminabad.
My mother thinks I'm a very incompetent driver as I'm too uncomfortable taking even a Polo to Aminabad

Really well written man. Takes guts to buy used german cars that quickly.
jijivishu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 01:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Chapter V: Seraph Review

Upgrade plans? Yes yes! Paddle Shifters and Stage 1 Remap. Don't ask when.
Great cars you have owned. I myself had a Škoda Octavia 1.9TDI (sold now) and now I drive a VW Ameo Highline Plus DSG. The 1.5 TDI is a gem of an engine.

I have upgraded the steering wheel to one with paddle shifters. Using the paddles in manual mode is a boon in delhi traffic and also in hill drives. It’s a great mod. Surely go for it!

BTW, I also took my car to Merchula in January this year (Night Drive, on top of all). Was worried about few bad patches which were dug up for construction, however, the car took care of it quite well.

Keep updating the thread
SuperSuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Ayy a fellow weeb (gamer? That OLED monitor is huge!) and car enthusiast!

Fun fact, no guts no glory was one of my CS clan names in some low-profile cafe tournament back when gaming cafes were a thing (and I ran on a toaster of a PC)

Great thread, good storytelling. Thanks for the entertainment!

The Vento and Rapid were to be honest one of the most practical options in that price range for an enjoyable driving experience, great choice. I wish I could get a TDI with DSG combo in this day and age without worrying about reliability too, but Taco with his manual is quite a different kind of fun as well, love revving the nuts off this engine!

"I don't drive every day but when I do, it should be fun."

Amen, words to live by.
Thanks for the comments! Happy to see another german lover/weeb/gamer.

You wouldn't believe if it told you that my Left 4 Dead 2 roster is basically either Konosuba mains or Hololive girls. My avatar here too is a .gif of Miosha (at the time of posting this).
That monitor is in fact, a 4k 120hz TV (LG BX 55)
The German Theory: From a pre-owned Skoda Superb to a used VW Vento-whatsapp-image-20220527-9.37.02-pm.jpeg

Was never a CS guy (tried hard but always sucked), though fast paced FPS like Unreal Tournament and slow methodical stuff like ARMA, Operation Flashpoint fit like a glove.
I've always used a potato pc (read: poltato pc) up to 2019 when I decided that I'd use my bonus for building a rig. R5 3600, RX 5700XT and 32 GB DDR4 (now 64).
Good days when an RTX 2080Ti was cheaper than a 320d.

Vento/Rapid is an absolute VFM proposition when you want to drive fast and survive Tier 2 and 3. The NVH and isolation from outside is surreal at this price point.
I just wish that it came with paddle shifters from factory and the headlights had a useable cut-off pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijivishu View Post
And their VW counterparts as well are worth the praise. They take a lot of time due to complimentary wash queue. If washing is rectified, I guess they can return the car in a couple of hours in morning (periodic service).

My mother thinks I'm a very incompetent driver as I'm too uncomfortable taking even a Polo to Aminabad

Really well written man. Takes guts to buy used german cars that quickly.
Thank you and absolutely agreed about the washing part. I reached at 9:30AM for basic service and changing brake discs. I left at 1:30PM. 50% time squandered while waiting for the work to start, 50% for the washing queue (with poor results).
It was hardly 2 hours worth of work. If I give their SAs and mechanics 5/5, I give the washing team a 2.5/5 or 3 at max.

About Aminabad, I did get a 1.5cm gash on the Superb. Not worth it. Later resorted to going with my friend Plooty on his Scooty. I usually park my Superb/Vento at his place and then scoot around with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
The only thing that came to my mind after reading you drove a Superb in Charbagh and Aminabad area.

Attachment 2316313

(photo credits: memegenerator.net)

That said, loved the way you wrote about your cars. I enjoyed my lunch break reading your post.
Will be waiting to read about your travelogues from Manipal, was about to take admission there for B.Tech but ended up with the Jaipur campus as it was nearer to Lucknow.
Thank you. Aminabad did make it's mark (1.5 cm) but Charbag was contact-free. Difficult but contact free. Guess those super narrow and steeply inclined inroads of Udupi did make me a better driver. Both Thenkpete and Aminabad are equally challenging but the latter takes the cake due to higher ped population.
Superb survived both superbly. I bet I can take a RR Vogue LWB to Kurseong and Ghoom now.

Manipal is a lovely city. Manipal, Udupi and Mangalore are the absolutely ultimate trio. I am a TAPMI alumni (PGDM 17-19). The college is a nightmare but the town more than makes up for it. Did my B.Tech in Chennai and that's a different story altogether .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
I will check them out for sure, I love to play technical stuff (albeit on the drums, gojira is a favourite). Also that's a good cover great job.
Wait! Instead of going in that direction, check out Chevelle, Heavatar, Tyr, Heavenly and Obscura. A totally mixed bag of different things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Great cars you have owned. I have upgraded the steering wheel to one with paddle shifters. It’s a great mod.

BTW, I also took my car to Merchula in January this year (Night Drive, on top of all). Was worried about few bad patches which were dug up for construction, however, the car took care of it quite well.

Keep updating the thread
Thank you so much! I do plan to retrofit a wheel with paddles but still a little worried about the warranty. Will be very hard to spot the paddles but I'll see what I can do. Probably will install at home itself.

Marchula at night can be terrifying! Especially with the big kittens and wild doggos (wolves are just doggos but bigger, wilder and fluffier) roaming around at night. You sir, have my respect!
Maybe if I had a Fortuner or an Endeavour (with a replaced torque converter flex plate), I'd think of stepping outside after sundown.

Please make a travelogue!

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 5th June 2022 at 14:55.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
[b][i]I have a dream. A dream that a car will be brutally fast, efficient,).

This is a story of a boy, who ignored PDI, landed into a pit and then came out with a few bruises and decided to go the sensible way.
Way back in 2015 (Chennai) when I was in my 3rd year of engineering, a couple of friends and I decided to forego hostel life and move to a flat nearby (yes, the infamous and now anti-student Abode Valley).
Boys of my age had interests in a few specific things, you know what . But I was into cars, tech, gaming, music, dogs.
I used to see these lads (from a very popular state, of course) who'd beat up people, cruise around in a 8th gen Civic with matte black rims and a huge spoiler. They'd slowly roll by with windows down and blasting hip-hop.
A psycho friend brought his 1st gen XUV500 from Pondicherry to Chennai and I got to ride with him a couple of times (I could barely drive in 2015). This is one reason for "which car" in the upcoming Manipal travelogue.:

Attachment 2315900

Read on to the next post to learn more!

Abode valley brings back fond memories of my days at that university. SRM has all types of teens and you get to see some nice cars as well.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 06:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much! I do plan to retrofit a wheel with paddles but still a little worried about the warranty. Will be very hard to spot the paddles but I'll see what I can do. Probably will install at home itself.

Marchula at night can be terrifying! Especially with the big kittens and wild doggos (wolves are just doggos but bigger, wilder and fluffier) roaming around at night. You sir, have my respect!
Maybe if I had a Fortuner or an Endeavour (with a replaced torque converter flex plate), I'd think of stepping outside after sundown.

Please make a travelogue!
I updated about the trip in bits and pieces in my ownership thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/volksw...nership-review

Also, the steering wheel is a plug and play install if you want to do it the DIY route. No coding required at all.

SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 17:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTOURER View Post
Abode valley brings back fond memories of my days at that university. SRM has all types of teens and you get to see some nice cars as well.
Agreed. Saw some girl studying medical drive away in a british racing green XF.

Apparently the good and reliable Lancor has been replaced by Abode Owner's Association where guards harass and assault student tenants and stray dogs alike. It was a hellish landscape by 2016.

I'd rate Estancia and Featherlite Vaikuntam much higher. They treat students like human beings.

But to be fair, our lads weren't always the quietest or the nicest bunch either. But the owner's association is just terrible and should not exist. I have the same level of dislike for them as NGT.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 20:20   #26
BHPian

Loved your post.

I am probably one of the few Skoda superb owners (2 litre tdi dsg) who really enjoyed the car. And I am sure you did too when it wasn't PMSing. The ASS is horrible in most part of our country. I got my instrument cluster replaced twice under warranty and luckily it never happened after that. Once a bolt in the engine bay needed replacement which took 3 months to come from what I was told Czech Republic. It was mostly trouble free after that. I drove it for a lakh kms. Unfortunately I met with an accident in November 2020 and the car was totalled. I am probably alive because it was a superb and I did manage to save 3 more lives because it was a superb. More on this incident some other day.

Yesterday someone told me a 2011 candy white Skoda superb 1.8 tsi dsg is available with 40k on the odo with a price tag cheaper than a new alto. And now I am left wondering should I do it again? It's too much of car for that kind of money.
13thpsycho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 02:22   #27
BHPian

What an amazing tale with excellent storytelling! Loved the overall account of the Superb and Vento.

During my car hunting phase, I had gone to test drive Skoda Slavia 1.5 (at a Skoda showroom near Faridabad) but it was probably a high rush day. The sales representative told me that 1.5 was not available at all and that 1.0 had a long line of people already waiting for a test drive.

I guess he felt bad for making me wait for almost 30 minutes, so he offered me a test drive for Skoda Superb (which was way out of my budget).

Truth be told, I fell in love with it immediately! Another (sad) truth be told, I didn't enjoy the Skoda Slavia test drive as much after that :P

Had to wait a few days for my mind to reset to default before I could start test driving cars in my preferred segment
akshaysehgal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 08:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Loved your post.

I am probably one of the few Skoda superb owners (2 litre tdi dsg) who really enjoyed the car. And I am sure you did too when it wasn't PMSing. The ASS is horrible in most part of our country.

Yesterday someone told me a 2011 candy white Skoda superb 1.8 tsi dsg is available with 40k on the odo with a price tag cheaper than a new alto. And now I am left wondering should I do it again? It's too much of car for that kind of money.
Thank you! Glad that you are safe. They may not be the most reliable machines but are sure built like a tank. The heft and sturdiness is there in the Vento but feels less.

2011 1.8T DSG? I'd suggest you stay away from it. It has DSG DQ200 and those are absolutely terrifying before 2014/15. Suggest you look at another 2.0 TDI DSG. The DQ250 never let me down in 3 years/40,000km.

The ASC at Lucknow is one of the best. The one in Mangalore comes close. Mahavir in Hyderabad and TAFE in Bangalore are absolutely revolting and disgusting, especially Mahavir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
What an amazing tale with excellent storytelling! Loved the overall account of the Superb and Vento.

I guess he felt bad for making me wait for almost 30 minutes, so he offered me a test drive for Skoda Superb (which was way out of my budget).

Truth be told, I fell in love with it immediately! Another (sad) truth be told, I didn't enjoy the Skoda Slavia test drive as much after that :P

Had to wait a few days for my mind to reset to default before I could start test driving cars in my preferred segment
Thank you! It is very very hard to recover from driving a superb. Also, since it punches above it's weight, upgrading from a superb can be a daunting task as well.

We don't have Passat anymore and Honda killed both Civic and Accord (they deliberately want to exit India). Alturas G4 is quite the luxury and opulent vehicle but risky due to parts.
Audi A4 and A6 are basically the same car but better. Our country is actually the worst place to buy (a new one) and own a car.

I'd say if you have the budget, go for a used car in good shape. You win because someone else took the depreciation hit and paid for the luxury lifestyle of politicians and civil servants

Personally, I'd be looking at used BoF SUVs in the near future. People didn't bully the superb at all (even KA/UP cops). Vento gets bullied, a lot.
Wish they keep making parts for the Alturas. There's nothing that classy in BoF segment.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:

2011 1.8T DSG? I'd suggest you stay away from it. It has DSG DQ200 and those are absolutely terrifying before 2014/15. Suggest you look at another 2.0 TDI DSG. The DQ250 never let me down in 3 years/40,000km.

The ASC at Lucknow is one of the best.
The owner is an enthusiast as well. First thing I asked him was about the dsg. He got it replaced under warranty. So I am assuming around 2014.
Glad to know about lucknow. I don't mind going there for service. I am from Patna. So it will be a night we'll spent with some mouth watering kebabs
13thpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Chapter V: Seraph Review

It is not just the man or the machine.
Too powerful a machine and weak a man, the man will not survive.
Too powerful a man and weak a machine, the machine will not survive.
50% power to both is how it should be.

Do you mean the Superb was too much for you? Didnt you feel like the Vento was a big downgrade?

Loved your story and the guts to get another VAG after facing troubles with an one. Most people would shy away after being bitten once. Including many enthusiasts.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks