Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 16:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Mahindra TUV300 Review | My learnings & findings over 40,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingpistonz View Post
I have suddenly developed an inexplicable love for TUV 300. For no apparent reason. I haven’t even travelled in one for a matter of fact.
A word of caution. Please request your friend (who you mentioned) to allow you to drive his TUV 300. Do understand the way this car behaves on open roads where you would normally floor the accelerator; and then observe how it behaves when you drive at low speeds over non-existent roads.

Then ask yourself if you really want this. A lot of people get this car without knowing what it is really like.

Quote:
1) The prices of all cars in general and TUV 300(I was told even Scorpio and Bolero) have sky rocketed in the used car market. No idea why, in a traffic dense city. Online sellers are quoting 7.5-8 lakhs for a 2016/17 model with around 35-45k kms on the odo. Is it worth the asking price or do I need to wait?
It is a seller's market. Desperate customers are actually paying these prices and getting them. If you wait, unless you get a genuine private seller, you might keep waiting whilst TUVs in the market get +1'd on their owner count and rack up miles on their odos.

Quote:
2) How reliable is the car? My wife just hates the mere thought of used cars( she has her valid reasons). If I’ve to spend more time running to garages, it is gonna be difficult for me. I cannot dedicate time to take the vehicle to a garage frequently, probably once every two months, if required, that is.
TUVs made 2018 January onwards had undergone a major parts refresh. All problems with the 2015-17 TUVs were dealt with by replacing parts or suppliers. My Jan 2018 manufactured TUV has been reliable throughout; the only problem I've faced is because the MASS failed to replace the engine air filter even though they charged me for it. The car began wheezing by the highway and a roadside mechanic replaced the filter and reset the MAF sensor; everything was okay afterwards.

Quote:
3) What do I mainly need to look for while buying a used TUV? Other than the usual suspects.
Rust.

Look especially for rust behind the 4 tyres, since Mahindra doesn't fix mudflaps even now on the Neo model. Sand and mud gets constantly flung onto the underbody just behind the 4 rotating tyres and a sand-papering effect ensues. The outer paint and primer both get abraded and rust sets in on all TUVs.

I got my car's rust fixed under warranty and went in for aftermarket Tata Sumo-styled lamba-chouda (i.e., oversized) rubber mudflaps which look like they belong on a truck.

Quote:
4) Will taking a mechanic help?
Your mileage will vary, depending on how good your mechanic is. Not taking a mechanic while purchasing any used car is plain suicide IMO.

Quote:
Also I was told by a Spinny executive and a used car salesman that TUVs are high in demand. Not sure if this is genuinely true or just plain marketing speak. If true I’m amazed as to why this is so popular.
While getting a quote from Spinny for my A-Star (later sold to an individual), the visiting mechanic from Spinny remarked to me about the TUV that it is indeed in demand. I have only theories to back up this fact, not fully sure why it is so. If you ask me - I'll ask this question back at you; which other car comes at such a low cost, can take a beating and keep running reliably?

Besides, BS4 diesels in general have high demand in non-NCR regions in India, as there's no DPF/SCR/Adblue/Regen business with BS4 diesel cars. They're the last of a breed from a carefree era.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks