Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2022, 21:19   #16
BHPian

Re: My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb

Congratulations RJ2285!
You will surely enjoy the butter smooth 1.8TSI. Drive safe.
Philomath55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Me: Baby, I need to tell you something important!
She: Baby !!! Do you want to buy another car?
Me: Look into my eyes, BABY!
She: WHAT?? This means you have already made the down payment?? We just sold the Honda City and you said we don’t need another car.
Me: Yes … But
She: BUT … Whaaatttt??
Me:
She:
Me: I want to tell you how this panned out!
She: Please disappear, NOW!!!
Congratulations! Superb was one of those cars that was completely over my budget but I got a "complimentary" test drive on it, while I was waiting to drive the Slavia. I really shouldn't have done that, because it totally spoilt my experience with Slavia . That's how good Superb is!

Love the conversations in your post, especially the one with the big boss. I usually practice a "puppy face" in the mirror before I start such conversations . Not sure how much it helps but I hope you did the same!
akshaysehgal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 18:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations RJ. First a used Polo GT Tsi and now the incredible Superb. You do have a knack for maximising value by going the nearly new way that too with a car that's anyway a phenomenal value luxury offering.

Getting a great quality pre owned Superb is really getting some serious bang for buck. You now have two fantastic steeds for your long highway journeys. Going to be interesting choosing between the two for your many road trips.

Have fun and do keep the updates coming in regularly.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 13:56   #19
BHPian

A great choice!! These variants are very rare and being a manual will be more reliable than the AT ones. Have been looking for one in the Bangalore region but are never to be found.

Love this variant of the Superb and the looks are really Sexy! Wish you happy reliable miles with the superb car.

Last edited by chinmaypillay : 28th June 2022 at 13:56. Reason: Small changes
chinmaypillay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:24   #20

MOD NOTE : Please go through Posting Etiquettes before making any further post on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Finally after 6 years of ownership and 70,000-km of revving the i-vtec with wonderful memories, we decided to say good bye to our beloved Honda City 4th-gen V MT and welcome our pre-worshipped Skoda Superb.

Are you sure that the sunroof doesn't open fully ?
In the Skoda Superb, if something is not working, it's likely to be a feature than a bug.

My suggestion is to keep the dial in open position beyond the click arc into the hold arc region, this opens the sunroof fully.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2022 at 18:09. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
As much fast and as much sophisticated the DSG is, the combo of 1.8TSi engine paired with a smooth manual transmission is still a very desirable stuff in its own right.
Congratulations once again!
Thank you, doc! Finding a manual transmission paired with the 1.8TSi engine was like a dream come true for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Congrats on your Superb. The 1.8 TSI is a lovely engine. On that note, try using XP95 fuel, and swap those crappy goodyears with Michelins. You will be smitten by the difference in ride.
Thank you, sarfraz1997 for the suggestion! I will definitely try using XP95 to experience the difference. Maintaining 2 germans is going to be quite a task. Yes, I will try and swap tyres after the next long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Congrats for the superb Superb

Coming from the Honda City, the Superb is a terrific upgrade on all fronts - size + power + premium feel. A great choice for your road trips! And that manual transmission will be a joy to lug that 180 bhp engine.

I am not surprised when your folks do not want to ride the X1 anymore
The overall ambience of the Superb is way slicker than the X1’s, whose interiors might now come across as something from a bygone era.
Wishing you many years of ownership!
haha, cannot agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrajeevkumar View Post
Hearty congratulations RJ2285 on adding a Skoda! This thread is inspiring me to change in a similar way! I have a City 2016 AT and contemplating on moving to Skoda. I’ll ponder more on this thread and will make a decision soon!
The Skoda Superb should be in your consideration set, bud. Terrific value for money, more car for the buck! Be sure to look at cars under warranty though! Too complex, unlike your super reliable Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Congratulations on the car, a 1.8 TSI manual sounds like a dream. I'd suggest that you avoid using the tire pressures for a full load, at least in the city. The insanely high PSI values (48!) ruin the ride quality.
What PSI would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Ufff! Amazing you picked up this rare manual beast. Enjoy that extra 70!
Thank you, itwasntme! I hope I am able to maintain the Superb even 50% of how beautifully you have taken care of your Octavia! Heck, you sold it and then got it back. Your car looks new, even today! You have 2 beautiful cars. How do you decide which one to take out first?

Also, from your experience, do I need to keep a pack of 1 liter engine oil in the boot at all times, for the thirsty TSi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
Congratulations! Superb was one of those cars that was completely over my budget but I got a "complimentary" test drive on it, while I was waiting to drive the Slavia. I really shouldn't have done that, because it totally spoilt my experience with Slavia . That's how good Superb is!

Love the conversations in your post, especially the one with the big boss. I usually practice a "puppy face" in the mirror before I start such conversations . Not sure how much it helps but I hope you did the same!
I can relate to that feeling (Superb vs Slavia drive experience). The Slavia is a very good car in its own right. Especially, the 1.5 TSi is a hoot to drive.

On the discussion with the home minister, no expression helps to be honest! I just had to confess and R-U-N !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congratulations RJ. First a used Polo GT Tsi and now the incredible Superb. You do have a knack for maximising value by going the nearly new way that too with a car that's anyway a phenomenal value luxury offering.

Getting a great quality pre owned Superb is really getting some serious bang for buck. You now have two fantastic steeds for your long highway journeys. Going to be interesting choosing between the two for your many road trips.

Have fun and do keep the updates coming in regularly.
Thank you, Mod! Yes, I have been fortunate to identify both these gems. Its always going to be a tough call, choosing between the two, only for me though, not for my folks! The mandate is clear from them. The X1 is going to be for my solo drives I guess. I am not complaining!!!
RJ2285 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 21:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
What PSI would you recommend?
Apologies for the late reply, I somehow completely missed this. I would recommend 32 PSI in the front and 33 in the rear, which is what we use for our usage pattern which is a roughly 65:35 split between the highway and the city. Great balancing act between an absorbent ride for the city and stability as well as grip on the highway. If you are dealing with very little load (for example just you and sparse luggage), you can consider dropping it by another 2-3 PSI for a nearly magic-carpet ride.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 13:50   #23
BHPian

An early morning 88-km drive to town and back coupled with breakfast at Sassanian, Marine Lines.

Sharing few pics:

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-august-drive-no-car.jpg

I just love the front fascia:
My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-aug-front.jpg

Limo:
My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-aug-side.jpg

Bombay at 7am:
My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-aug-back-1.jpg

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-aug-back-2.jpg

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-27th-aug-odometer.jpg

Fuel efficiency not bad at all for a 1.8 Turbo Petrol. I am yet to take it outside Bombay. I will plan a road trip soon and share my experience.
RJ2285 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:17   #24
BHPian

Great pictures, I love empty city roads early in the morning. I'll be looking forward to your updates once you get to take your Superb on road trips; it's an incredible highway machine.

Quote:
Fuel efficiency not bad at all for a 1.8 Turbo Petrol. I am yet to take it outside Bombay. I will plan a road trip soon and share my experience.
Impressive for drives within the city! Also, I've been curious, what's the gearing of the manual like, and does it have any significant rev hang? It's incredibly difficult to find information online about this specific powertrain.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post

Impressive for drives within the city! Also, I've been curious, what's the gearing of the manual like, and does it have any significant rev hang? It's incredibly difficult to find information online about this specific powertrain.
Apologies for the delayed reply. To be honest, the manual pulls effortlessly, but I am yet to rev it to the redline to check for rev hang. I will definitely test it in my next highway run and keep you posted.

On a different note, I enjoy driving the SUPERB more than our X1 now. The sweet Turbo Petrol coupled with the comfort-oriented suspension makes it our daily drive.

I loved reading your recent travelogue! Such a beautiful car!
RJ2285 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 14:35   #26
BHPian

The Superb has been chugging along quite nicely. This has been our daily driver and the X1 is only used for touring purposes and sometimes on weekends. Work from home has not helped the cause and have just driven 5000 km in the last 10 months. One road trip to Mahabaleshwar and this car has been my default option whenever I step out for meetings. Manual transmission in the city traffic has not been much of a problem or maybe I have just got used to the long clutch pedal travel. The sheer size / white colour did bother me initially in city traffic especially with morons and their lack of civic sense on the road, but the light steering has helped me manoeuvre the car effortlessly.

Few days back the car was due for its annual service. Odometer at 40,642 km. No issues to report. Touchwood. Even though JMD Skoda service centre is just a few kms away from where I stay, I preferred giving the car to Mody Skoda, Kurla for a better service experience. Sunil Swain, the service advisor was courteous, knowledgeable and he did not try to be too pushy to upsell. The moment I stepped in I told them that I am a Bhpian and the service experience will be reported on the forum. That worked in my favour I guess.

I thought this service bill would set me back by INR 30,000/-. To my surprise, the final bill totalled up to INR 16,132/- including GST Heck, our VW Polo GT TSi service bill was at par with this few years back. This amount is certainly not bad for a car of this segment. The car is under warranty until December 2025.

The jobs carried out were as under;

- New Engine Oil
- New Brake Fluid
- New Air Filter
- New Fuel Filter
- Washing & Cleaning

Below screenshots of the service bill:

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-photo20230610134929.jpg

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-photo20230610134957.jpg

Few random clicks:

VVIP Parking at Adlabs Imagica. I did not request for VVIP parking. They looked at the car and guided me to the VVIP Parking. It was a weekday and I just got lucky OR was it just the sheer opulence of the SUPERB
My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-img6993.jpg

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-img6867.jpg

My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb-img7698.jpg

Last edited by RJ2285 : 10th June 2023 at 15:01.
RJ2285 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:17   #27

These costs are surprisingly affordable for a car like superb and only slightly more than what I would’ve paid for my Rapid had I not opted for the 4 Year Skoda AMC.
Good to see them improve their service experience and lower the costs too.
Team-bhp membership does come in handy at Service centre’s as they do not try to upsell unwanted extras ��
themotohead_doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 21:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Few days back the car was due for its annual service. Odometer at 40,642 km. No issues to report. Touchwood. Even though JMD Skoda service centre is just a few kms away from where I stay, I preferred giving the car to Mody Skoda, Kurla for a better service experience. Sunil Swain, the service advisor was courteous, knowledgeable and he did not try to be too pushy to upsell. The moment I stepped in I told them that I am a Bhpian and the service experience will be reported on the forum. That worked in my favour I guess.
Sunil was with JMD Skoda earlier at their Bhandup workshop and I was always comfortable with him and his advice. Thanks for letting me know that he works at Mody Skoda now. Would visit them for my next service for my Rapid in which is due in a couple of months.
abhi7992 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks