Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 19:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4

Some clips from driving in the snow around my campus in the last few days:

By the way guys, I drove up towards Sethan (on the road to Hampta Pass) this afternoon. Went till turn number 32/35, after which my Clutch did not allow me to gain enough momentum and go up, in 4x2 or 4x4. Drove most of the way in 4x2, had to engage 4x4 2-3 times, on very specific inclines and compacted snow. BHP-ian anuragisaacrout⁩ and I were really happy with the grip and performance of both the A/T tyres, and the Aria's capabilities till the weak clutch prevented our progress further.

The videos of this drive will be uploaded in a few days, and then I will attach that in the thread below.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2023 at 06:27. Reason: Promotion
AdityaDeane is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:45   #32

Being there and having felt the LSD kick in on a scissor turn showed that the car shows capabilities at half the price of what brands like Toyota produce.

A couple of observations while owning a Tata Safari Dicor myself:

1. Longer wheelbase by roughly 200mm as compared to the Safari, does not make an impact on its turning radius as only the .4 reduction helped it make all the turns (believe me the Prini-AD Hydro-Sethan Road are literally V's) in one go without reversing whereas I have to reverse on a couple of turns.

2. The company claimed 200mm ground clearance is actually quiet easily clearing uneven surfaces without any grazing on the shield (not quiet sure if it's there)

3. The 5 link suspension with Coil Spring on the rear coupled with Independent Double Wishbone being the same on both cars, actually finds stability much better than the Safari's

Finally, the one you've all been waiting for:

4. The car despite having being drive 1L+ kms has its LSD fully kicking on the moment it detects any slippage on one of the wheels. (Sitting in the rear behind driver, I did feel the car pass on the grip to the Left Rear Wheel the moment we were on one of the Scissor turns) This i believe is a boon as on my Safari the lack of the LSD really causes great problems when reversing or lack of weight in the rear coupled with lack of grip on one wheel sees free spinning of the wheel without grip.

5. The comfort features out do any of the top model Innova of that time and to an extent even now.
anuragisaacrout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 16:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to go for 2 snow drives near Manali over the weekend, and the car has been performing splendidly.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img20230212wa0027.jpg

I have taken it to places where I would not have dared in my Triber. It easily glides over potholes and rough roads.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230211_171650.jpg

Climbs effortlessly through most of the steep inclines, despite the clutch needing a replacement any time now.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230212_160907.jpg

Goes over snowy sections of the road mostly in 4x2 mode, with 4x4 being applied only as a precaution where I get scared it may get stuck midway.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230211_175012.jpg

The last mileage has been a measly 8.42Km/L, but I have been going with 5-7 friends on most recent trips, so I am okay with that.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230211_173013.jpg

Have driven it in narrow village roads near Manali, and seen views which I never saw in this Kullu valley.

Once the servicing and clutch replacement is done, I am pretty sure that there will be no stopping this mean machine from going to places I have never known existed.

Will keep the thread updated as time progresses with Saffira.
Attached Thumbnails
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230211_162842.jpg  

AdityaDeane is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 15:12   #34
BHPian

Hello Aditya how's Saffira doing in terms of ease of maintenance and reliability?
The snow drive posts are wonderful. I am very happy to see you have gotten yourself a dependable Aria. She's one of a kind.

<rant>
I have had a niggling experience meanwhile with TASS in Kolkata. I'd sent for a full service including replacement of liquids, filters, and check of all seals, pulleys, bushes. There was also preventive maintenance like timing kit replacement and other work like power window switch kit replacement. The ODO was 82xxxx and total bill is approximately 37k.

After service the car has gone 3 times to the workshop and they are unable to figure out a persistent oil leak. I don't know how to progress this, and how to raise this to TML without impacting my future relationship with the workshop. The SA is polite and tries, but they are lacking somewhere. Also as the workshop always tries to avoid an escalation, I thought it prudent to not raise it. Any advice please?
</rant>

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 17th February 2023 at 15:15.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 07:18   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
After service the car has gone 3 times to the workshop and they are unable to figure out a persistent oil leak
Best way is to look from where the oil is leaking (under the car) - gearbox or engine side. It might be difficult to exactly point to the culprit but one can definitely try. If it is an engine oil leak that started after this service, you might want to work down to what oil related components were impacted eg. oil filter mounting, seals, and the kind. Often in older cars, the tappet cover gasket is the first casualty. The rear/front oil seals could also be a possibility.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 09:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hello Aditya how's Saffira doing in terms of ease of maintenance and reliability?
The snow drive posts are wonderful. I am very happy to see you have gotten yourself a dependable Aria. She's one of a kind.

<rant>
I have had a niggling experience meanwhile with TASS in Kolkata. I'd sent for a full service including replacement of liquids, filters, and check of all seals, pulleys, bushes. There was also preventive maintenance like timing kit replacement and other work like power window switch kit replacement. The ODO was 82xxxx and total bill is approximately 37k.

After service the car has gone 3 times to the workshop and they are unable to figure out a persistent oil leak. I don't know how to progress this, and how to raise this to TML without impacting my future relationship with the workshop. The SA is polite and tries, but they are lacking somewhere. Also as the workshop always tries to avoid an escalation, I thought it prudent to not raise it. Any advice please?
</rant>
Hello digitalnirvana!

Thanks for the appreciation, but even I am very cautious to not cross any boundaries with Saffira as of yet. I haven't had to service it till now, but I am going in for some running repairs to a FNG today, as I have a trip planned to Chandigarh in early March.

1. The MID Errors have still not been looked at, need to get that sorted. Don't want to overlook them, and miss some important error and keep driving till a point of no return.

2. The pick up is super slow till before it reaches the 1700rpm mark and the Turbocharger kicks in, so taking it for a Fuel Filter cleaning, EGR cleaning and Intercooler cleaning today, hoping that they resolve my problem.

3. If even these do not change the way it picks up pace, then Clutch replacement seems to be the only logical option.

4. I have some minute leak in the Steering Pump, which is leading to slow and gradual reduction in the Power Steering Fluid, and I need to keep it topped up every few weeks, depending on how frequently I drive.

Rest, I have found it to be dependable yes! I have done Manali -Dehradun, Manali-Solan, Manali-Kaza, Manali-Margaraon (Madgram, Lahaul) and Manali-Ludhiana trips, and never ever have I been left stranded.

Many BHP-ian friends advised me that this car is unreliable and I may get stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken Timing Belt or some other problem, but by God's grace, everything has been running as it should till now.

As for the problem in your car, can you not get it checked at some other TASS, and if need be, escalate the situation to Company Higher Ups from their service centre? That way your good relations with your current TASS will continue, and you can blame the other TASS (from where you will now escalate) to be incompetent when your current Service Advisor confronts you about this. Just a suggestion. I do hope and pray that your issue is resolved at the earliest and you also enjoy your beast like how it is supposed to run.

Regards,
Aditya
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 02:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention 1 more niggle I was facing since the last almost 3 weeks, the Rear Wiper and Washer stopped working suddenly.

I noticed that Smart Rear Wiper, manual Rear Wash and Wipe functions were not working. But, I could hear the Rear Wiper Pump noise when trying to wipe the rear windscreen, with no water coming out. And, only in this function the Rear Wiper would work, not otherwise, with the noise of Rear Washer Motor.

Took the car for OBD Scanning this morning, and these are the codes that came up.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230218_1126472.jpg
Forgive the unclear photo, I could not see properly due to sunshine. This included a code for Rear Wiper and Washer also.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230218_1127492.jpg
Then after trying to clear the codes, still these 2 are left. The Rear Wiper has started working, need to check the Rear Washer, haven't checked that yet. But, the Check Engine Light, Restricted Performance and Engine System Fault are still showing in the MID!

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230218_1130042.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230218_1130092.jpg

The car electrician has asked me to come again to check the EGR Sensor and Wiring Harness, and hopefully after that the car's pick up will improve and these fault codes will be cleared. Total cost of Scanning was Rs.500/-
Old 6th March 2023, 14:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Do you have any photos of this rod? Also after watching your videos found that the vehicle was pitching more than normal, did you get the dampers checked?
Got a chance to finally do what you asked, and here are the images for your reference.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230303_140512.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230303_1405282.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
2. The mounts for my Touchscreen broke, and it came off midway between Manali to Kaza

Attachment 2364710
This has temporarily been repaired by sealing it with a Hot Glue Gun from all four sides. It has held it's place for the drive between Ludhiana and Manali yesterday, and I hope that it stays in place for a lot longer.

I have also ordered my local Car Accessories shop to find and bring me a Face Plate for Aria to install the music system more professionally. Sadly, this plate wasn't even available in Ludhiana!

Quote:
4. Finally tried to check for all the fuses present below the Steering, and also disconnected and reconnected the Fuse and Relays present on the Right side of the Battery.

After all of this, finally the car started. Now the MID is showing 2 errors, "Restricted Performance" and "Engine System Fault". Also, the "Check Engine Light" has come on.

Attachment 2369758

Attachment 2369759

Yesterday, BHP-ian anuragisaacrout and I tried to remove the positive terminal of the car battery to reset the CEL, but we were unable to do it on our own. The car is running without any problems, but these errors are not stopping.
So, upon visiting Northern Hyundai again in this last week and getting the problem checked, it was found that there is a problem with the EGR solenoids. They tried scanning and bypassing, but to no avail. Finally, the car electrician opened the ECM connectors, and then I remembered that we had opened and fixed it again while trying to restart. Incidentally, the lock mechanism hadn't locked, and the connector wasn't fixed properly. Once he fit the connector and scanned and cleared the codes, the CEL Light and Restricted Performance errors are gone, and the pick up has improved also now.

During this, they also found the Self Motors was not working properly, and they serviced that too. Now, they say that the Battery is weak, and may need to be replaced some time this year!

Quote:
Climbs effortlessly through most of the steep inclines, despite the clutch needing a replacement any time now.
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230303_143921.jpg
Condition of the old Clutch and Pressure Plate

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230303_164321.jpg
New Clutch, OEM Accessory

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230304143957236_com.opsway.boodmo.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230304144007594_com.opsway.boodmo.jpg
Prices of these components from Boodmo, while I got them for Rs.6800 in Ludhiana from local Dealer.

Quote:
2. The pick up is super slow till before it reaches the 1700rpm mark and the Turbocharger kicks in, so taking it for a Fuel Filter cleaning, EGR cleaning and Intercooler cleaning today, hoping that they resolve my problem.

3. If even these do not change the way it picks up pace, then Clutch replacement seems to be the only logical option.

4. I have some minute leak in the Steering Pump, which is leading to slow and gradual reduction in the Power Steering Fluid, and I need to keep it topped up every few weeks, depending on how frequently I drive.
So, problems 2 and 3 were solved by changing the Clutch and Pressure Plate and by properly connecting the ECM and clearing the Codes.

Problem 4 is still persistent, and it wasn't looked into during my recent visit. It may get addressed during some other visit in the future, as it is not a big hassle right now.

Quote:
I forgot to mention 1 more niggle I was facing since the last almost 3 weeks, the Rear Wiper and Washer stopped working suddenly.
The Rear Wiper has started working, need to check the Rear Washer, haven't checked that yet.
The technician at Northern Hyundai said that this may be due to some leakage in the pipe from the reservoir to the rear washer, as the motor is pumping and it can be heard, but no water is coming out to the nozzles at the back.

Few statistics from my recent usage:-

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230306132045305_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg
My average cost per kilometre figures

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230306132013072_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg
Best and Worst Fuel consumption reports

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230306132054210_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg
The last 11.03Km/L was with AC on 100% between Swarghat to Ludhiana to Swarghat.

12.35Km/L was local drives around Manali and then driving down towards Swarghat.

8.42Km/L was off road high altitude trips around Manali with 6-7 people on board.

Will keep the thread updated with latest developments and maintenance updates.
Old 25th June 2023, 18:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Really happy that I went for an AWD version of the Aria, and not the 4x2 model.
• Had to use 4x4 once on Friday within the campus to cross a high tree base (chabootra).
• And also yesterday and today, to drive on Rocky unpaved village roads around Manali.
The car performed flawlessly and gave me confidence to drive ahead, and not turn back prematurely fearing the narrow roads and unpaved rocky paths.

Do note, I switched to A/T tyres right after buying my car, and they also help a lot in instilling confidence to go off the beaten paths.

Latest Update on Saffira:-

* Covered 9k kilometres in my 10.5 months of ownership.

* Odo reading is around 122700Kms+

* Current niggles:
1. Rear Washer not spraying water, seems to have some leak in the pipeline. Can hear the wiper motor pumping the fluid though.

2. The door lights are not working, so need to show that upon visiting Northern Motors, Ludhiana the next time.

3. Steering Fluid is leaking a lot these days. Have to refill the reservoir at the beginning of almost every drive. Lifted the car up on a hydraulic heavy lift jack this afternoon, and saw this.
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230625_164028.jpg
Right side. The cover is torn at 2 places, as far as I saw. With fluid oozing out...
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230625_164048.jpg
Similar thing on the Left, not very clear in this pic, as steering was turned fully to the Right.
The independent service centre guys could not tell me where exactly is the leak, so thinking that I'll take it to TASS in Dehradun when I go there next month and get the whole system changed, tired to refilling the Steering Fluid every time, and even during long drives now.

* Saw an interesting thing while Saffira was hoisted up today,
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230625_162247.jpg
The transfer case for the AWD system has this markings for 2H - 4H - 4L, with some rotation directions and screw markings to attach a Low Range Transfer Case, I presume.

My understanding is that this same Engine is shared with the Safari Storme, so will it be possible to attach a Low Range Transfer Case to this? Does anybody have any clue about this? Looking forward to inputs from fellow BHP-ians with idea about such mechanical jobs.

* Current running expenses are like below:
1. Average Fuel Consumption 11.05Km/L
2. Best Fuel Consumption 12.76Km/L
3. Worst Fuel Consumption 8.42Km/L
4. Average Cost per Kilometre ₹7.76/Km
5. Best Cost per Kilometre ₹6.84/Km
6. Worst Cost per Kilometre ₹10.48/Km
AdityaDeane is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

In about 10 days, Saffira will have been with me for a full year. In this time, as everyone warned me, it hasn't been all jolly and problem free for me, but by the grace of God, our car has never left us stranded anywhere and has kept us comfortable and safe through the snow, rains, sun and on and off the road.

I am so happy that I went for this vehicle, in fact, looking at my car and the features it offers, keeping in mind the low price that we're getting Aria's at in the online used car markets, I have been able to convince a friend of mine to upgrade from his current ride, to an Aria.

All Wheel Drive may feel like a gimmick to hard core off roaders, but for people like us who just need a vehicle to drive over snow and slush and broken roads (especially after roads being washed away around Manali), an AWD is so much more capable than simple 4x2 vehicles, be it FWD or RWD.

A video showing how easily this beast conquers off beat roads even in just 4x2 mode

I just wish that more of these vehicles sold back in the day, so that spares availability and resale would have been much better, but thanks to it's rarity, we got ours for a cheaper price through tough bargaining.

I had ordered the Music System Frame from Boodmo (Link:- https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-fini..._din-33017374/), and will be getting my Touchscreen Music System fitted with that when I get to visit Ludhiana or Dehradun the next time after road connectivity improves between Manali and Punjab/Uttarakhand.

In the meantime, enjoy this video of the confidence an AWD vehicle gives while driving on gravel roads, in comparison to a simple rear wheel drive which may fishtail and need correction every few seconds on such roads, at those speeds.

Mileage Stats:-
Best Mileage Achieved Till Date -> 13.74Km/L
Worst Mileage Achieved Till Date -> 8.42Km/L
Average Mileage -> 11.04Km/L

Happy 1 year to Saffira, in advance

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 27th July 2023 at 14:01.
AdityaDeane is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 21:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

So, had some repairs pending in the engine compartment, and Boodmo came to the rescue despite the delays in couriers after the recent floods and landslides in Himachal Pradesh.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20230910_1546542.jpg

The Air Filter was cracked and the duct pipe between the Air Filter and Turbo also had developed a big crack near the Turbo, hence changed both of these. Had a harrowing time with the Self Tightening Clamp to connect the duct pipe with the Mass Air Flow Sensor, or whatever that connector is called.

BHP-ian AnuragIsaacRout's timely suggestion saved me so much time by replacing just the top half of my Air Filter Box, ans the lower half was in prefect shape, all the evident damages were on the upper half somehow. Thanks a ton brother!

This is the first vehicle where I have changed/repaired anything mechanical myself, I always used to rely only on Garages and Authorised Service Centres for all such things, but living in a remote area with limited resources has made me a hands on guy, of sorts.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20230910205531065_com.whatsapp.w4bedit.jpg

After receiving my sticker set last week, gave Saffira her 1st Birthday Gift in the guise of the Team BHP website link sticker today.

Hardly noticeable, but still present! The car needs a full body denting and painting job, before I can place other stickers on body panels, hence refrained from placing any other stickers at present.
AdityaDeane is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 22:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first vehicle where I have changed/repaired anything mechanical myself, I always used to rely only on Garages and Authorised Service Centres for all such things, but living in a remote area with limited resources has made me a hands on guy, of sorts.
Might be a blessing in disguise for a vehicle like Aria which sold in limited numbers and the general sentiment about Tata ASCs. I hope the spares continue to be available via Tata dealers or Boodmo allowing you to keep it as long as you want to.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 16:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Moments like these make me feel proud to have chosen Saffira! Got to help out a friend today morning while out on a river bed drive.

AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 10:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Had a fun filled drive in my Saffira last weekend, loved the performance of my A/T tyres and the traction provided by the AWD system when required.

Total car occupancy was 5 adults and 2 kids (6 and 1 year olds). Car heating was off due to a nice sunny day.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Steering Fluid is leaking a lot these days. Have to refill the reservoir at the beginning of almost every drive. Lifted the car up on a hydraulic heavy lift jack this afternoon, and saw this.
Attachment 2468045
Right side. The cover is torn at 2 places, as far as I saw. With fluid oozing out...
Attachment 2468046
Similar thing on the Left, not very clear in this pic, as steering was turned fully to the Right.
The independent service centre guys could not tell me where exactly is the leak, so thinking that I'll take it to TASS in Dehradun when I go there next month and get the whole system changed, tired to refilling the Steering Fluid every time, and even during long drives now.
Finally after 15 months of repeated pouring in of Steering Fluid, I was finally able to procure a scrap part from Amritsar, through a local car mechanic, and after spending close to 15K, was able to purchase it, get it transported here to Manali, and get it fitted with new Boots and End Joints.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20231230_154431.jpg
You can see the old one lying behind on the floor, all dusty and covered in oil and clay.

Also, my Left Wiper had stopped working, the link rod had come off due to friction in the joint where it rotates, that also was heated, greased and serviced yesterday, so now I have a good big wiper cleaned area, before the snowfall season sets in. This repair is also covered in the expense mentioned above, took my whole day, over 8 hours, but I'm satisfied with the results.

P.S. - A new part (OEM Supplier) cost Rs.18500 in Mani Majra spare shops, and over 30K on Boodmo for the Tata Motors spare part. This is from a running Aria, which had to be scrapped due to rear ending, so genuine Tata Motors working part. After procuring, Labour Charges and/or Transportation would have been extra expenses for me.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 31st December 2023 at 10:40.
AdityaDeane is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed