Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 20:55   #91
BHPian

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

My altroz has contrast roof. Initially I thought it would be a painted surface. But it's not. I guess they put vinyl wrap. Is it the case with everyone? Shouldn't the contrast roof come with a painted surface as it comes from Tata itself officially? Also, cutting at the ends is not done professionally. Feeling bit suspicious ��
Old 27th August 2023, 18:57   #92

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The second point to note here is the average fuel efficiency. Monsoons = traffic jams, which is equal to stop and go traffic; which in turn means a drop in the average fuel efficiency. It keeps hovering between 11-11.5 km/l in the city. The odometer stands at ~5400 kms.
Hi W.A.G.7, it's lovely to see that you are happy with your car. Getting around 11km/l from your Altroz Petrol is actually a good figure, because my diesel Altroz returns atmost 14km/l during summer with the ac always on. I think maybe it is beacause of the car's relatively higher weight. Please note that my car is mostly driven in rush hour traffic from south to north Kolkata. However, the car returns around 25km/l on highways if driven sedately which is quite challenging considering the mid-range torque it has.
Happy Motoring!!
Old 28th August 2023, 12:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
Btw, I am facing issue with indicator, which is very sensitive. A slight turn in opposite direction will make it stop, and you need to turn it again.
Thanks for highlighting this issue here. Ours is not overly sensitive, but yes; I do acknowledge that it is quick to turn off. We haven't faced any issue so far, but would keep a lookout for this.

Quote:
Also I need to consider changing Air filter at next service, as they didn't change in 1st year service.Any idea aroud this? When air filter needs to be changed and what would be the frequency? My odo reading is around 3200 kms.
Yes, the manual mentions a change of the air filter at every 1 year/15,000 km interval, so insist on this when you drop your car for servicing. Also, go on a weekday, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday, when the load is relatively less.

Quote:
My altroz has contrast roof. Initially I thought it would be a painted surface. But it's not. I guess they put vinyl wrap. Is it the case with everyone? Shouldn't the contrast roof come with a painted surface as it comes from Tata itself officially? Also, cutting at the ends is not done professionally. Feeling bit suspicious
We haven't got it wrapped, so I can't comment on it. But if you feel it's not right and if it's a vinyl wrap job, then I suggest you get it removed and redone from a reputed dealer - it will be much better than what these guys manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_saha1304 View Post
I think maybe it is because of the car's relatively higher weight.
That's true. The relatively heavier weight might be a factor in the lower fuel efficiency. This car seriously deserved a better 4 pot petrol motor developing at-least 90+ bhp / ps.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 20:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

We had a new discovery today. While the car is in motion, shifting from 'D' to 'N' is possible. My son was in the front seat and he unknowingly moved the gear lever from 'D' to 'N'. We all blanked out; how could the car show 'N' in the display and only the RPM was rising when we were in motion? All the DSG threads came flooding to my memory. In a split second, I thought this thread would turn into another dual-clutch gearbox saga on Team-Bhp.

Then as the puzzle in a freak picture resolves itself, we both(my wife and I) simultaneously noticed that my son had moved the gear lever unconsciously (or subconsciously) to 'N' . A shouting match (because we were in traffic and could have been rear-ended) ensued, but the outside world was oblivious to it thanks to the good quality insulation. Some tear-jerking and tear-shedding moments later (once again for a split second, the wet-mat fiasco from the service came to my mind!) we were back in 'D' and moving along normally.

Lessons learnt -
  1. The Altroz has good insulation and will keep inside sounds out of the outside world!
  2. Don't let kids sit on the front seat - they have a tendency to play around with whatever is in their radius.
  3. We could shift from 'D' to 'N' while the car is in motion. I don't know if this is the expected behaviour or a problem with our car. But since it's driving normally, I feel this must be the expected behaviour in all automatic gearbox equipped cars. Experts can comment on this.
  4. I am not sure if we can shift to 'R' (which is above the 'N') while it's in motion. I really hope not, because if that was doable we must have come literally within a centimeter of trashing the gearbox!
All's well that ends well, the car is performing normally as expected. I will keep you all posted with the progress in a couple of days.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 14:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Superb! I almost fell off my chair when you wrote about the SA having conjunctivitis, made me laugh for quite some time. I missed buying the Altroz in 2020 July and instead bought the 3OO in Nov. The Altroz had that infamous engine which was very low on power and did not feel great. But the interiors and the other stuff were top notch. While I don't regret the decision of buying the 3OO, the Altroz is really a fantastic car too. Have recommended it to many friends who are looking for a car in that price tag.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 19:32   #96
BHPian

Quote:
We had a new discovery today. While the car is in motion, shifting from 'D' to 'N' is possible. My son was in the front seat and he unknowingly moved the gear lever from 'D' to 'N'.
Whoa this is very scary! I thought all gear shifts require brake press plus the gear shift button press
Old 10th September 2023, 10:44   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_saha1304 View Post
because my diesel Altroz returns atmost 14km/l during summer with the ac always on. I think maybe it is beacause of the car's relatively higher weight. Please note that my car is mostly driven in rush hour traffic from south to north Kolkata.
Hi Vivek, just curious about your usage pattern. Considering the rush hour traffic usage, does it not lead to DPF clogging issues as noted with BS6 diesels. I’ve been thinking about a Diesel Altroz but considering my usage which is almost entirely in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai , I’ve had second thoughts due to the DPF clogging issues.

Please let me know your experience.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2023 at 11:25. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Old 11th September 2023, 12:02   #98

Don't even think of buying a BS6 phase 1 diesel car for city commute!! I trusted the salesman when he told me that the newer batches of Altroz(D) do not have dpf issues and that it can be used as a city car. Though my car does not have dpf issues, there is the problem of diesel being mixed in engine oil and the occasional problem of check engine being turned on due to soot accumulation in the lambda sesnor. So I would suggest you to go for hybrid petrol cars or bs4 diesel cars. Hope this helps. If you want to buy Altroz I would suggest you to go with the DCA model.
vivek_saha1304 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 13:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

A quick update on the car. The Altroz is performing its duties nicely.
  • The odometer stands at 6190 km as I write this post. It has seen some reduced running this month due to the festive season. Apart from that no other updates.
  • We are getting a fuel efficiency of 11-12 kmpl consistently. So I guess that after a year now; it is safe to assume that the average fuel efficiency the car will return will be somewhere within this range. Neither too good nor too bad. Expecting something more wouldn't be right, as this is a heavy car with an underpowered (read just sufficient) engine.
  • The DCA gearbox is working excellently. We are loving it and are "converts" to automatic boxes now. I am happy that we didn't settle for the AMT one but went ahead with the fully automatic gearbox. Now I keep wondering, why I didn't stretch my budget in 2018 and got myself an automatic version of the Ecosport!
  • The car feels solid, stable and planted on the road and absorbs most of the bumps without any fuss. We find the shock absorbers adequate for city use.
  • The noise insulation is fantastic, once you close the windows; all other ambient traffic sounds are filtered out. You can hear the sound system nicely.
  • The audio is another good part of the car. 4 speakers and 4 tweeters dish out some nice audio quality. Neither of us is an audiophile, but we can distinguish good speakers from badly tuned ones. I am happy to report that the Harman system in this car is excellent. Exception for an OEM system to sound nice!
  • Good Year All Terrain Max 2 tyres are really good. They have little noise, as compared to the MRF ZVTVs or MRF ZV2Ks. Once again, I am happy that we got these tyres with the car by default.
  • The air conditioner is a chiller, we have to tone it down to blower speed 1 or 2 after the initial 4-5 minutes. The automatic climate control works perfectly.
  • Auto headlamps and Rain Sensing Wipers also work flawlessly. We have never faced any issues with these two so far.
I do feel that the Altroz DCA can complement your garage as a competent secondary car. It's perfect for city runabouts.I know a photo shoot is long due, I will try and put it up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Whoa this is very scary! I thought all gear shifts require brake press plus the gear shift button press
Well, he did press the button and push it forwards into "N". The brake may have been partially pressed due to the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
I’ve been thinking about a Diesel Altroz but considering my usage which is almost entirely in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai
If your usage is mostly in the city, then go for the DCA version. It its majorly on the highway then as I mentioned somewhere in the thread, the diesel makes much more sense.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
A
Well, he did press the button and push it forwards into "N". The brake may have been partially pressed due to the traffic.
I just got delivery of my Altroz and referred the user manual, D->N shift doesn't require knob or brake press, seems like a safety miss from Tata side. Sharing those pages for other's reference
Attached Thumbnails
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: 9,000 km up!-img_20230920_080116.jpg  

Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: 9,000 km up!-img20230920075810.jpg  

Burgman_tales is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got delivery of my Altroz and referred the user manual, D->N shift doesn't require knob or brake press, seems like a safety miss from Tata side. Sharing those pages for other's reference
Thanks a lot for sharing these. I think that's what happened. He inadvertently pressed the button and moved it to "N" from "D". Definitely looks like it is a miss.

I am not sure how the behaviour in other cars is. Admittedly, it's a quirky problem! I can't ask anyone else to come within inches of trashing their automatic gearbox with this experiment!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 18:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
This is how it is in most of the automatic cars I have driven. Even I had an instance of someone sitting besides me inadvertently move the gear to N while climbing a ramp in a Corolla.
sreerknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 06:19   #103
BHPian

Hi All - My Jan’23 delivered DCA is on the cusp of hitting 10,000 kms. The car has opened up nicely and when the DCA and engine decide to tango together, have even experienced a strong acceleration akin to a turbo powered push - but sadly that’s occasionally only. This is a city car - and on the highway a “riding on rails” steady car

One thing which is concerning me a bit is that I can hear a “clanging” sound when the gears shift down from 3>2, 2>1 - like I used to hear in my Wagon R AMT. Sometimes feel a bit of jerk. Pickup and acceleration is smooth. Have any DCA owners experienced this ?
Old 10th October 2023, 16:05   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
One thing which is concerning me a bit is that I can hear a “clanging” sound when the gears shift down from 3>2, 2>1 - like I used to hear in my Wagon R AMT. Sometimes feel a bit of jerk. Pickup and acceleration is smooth. Have any DCA owners experienced this ?

No, at least not in all the gears in our car.

I tried to simulate the issue, and this is what I could simulate: When you start the car -> first move from 'P' to 'N' and wait for a second or two with the windows open. That's when I hear this sound as if the gears are engaging with each other. It's a very faint sound but no experience in jerking. Windows open because otherwise I couldn't hear this sound with the windows closed. I kept an ear specifically for the type of sound you have mentioned. Afterwards, there is no clanging or jerking behaviour in the gears. They all shift smoothly without even knowing.

As a rule, we shift to 'N' from 'P' and then only shift to 'D' or 'R' as the case may be. Similarly for every signal, if it's 15 seconds or more, we shift to 'N' from 'D'.

Let me know what your experience is. Try the steps that I have mentioned above. If you experience jerking or a louder sound, I think you should get your gearbox checked once from Tata's service centres

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 10th October 2023 at 16:07. Reason: edit added
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 20:35   #105
BHPian

Re: Thank you! and question on floor mats

Hello W.A.G.7, your thread has been one of the major influencing factors for us selecting the DCA version of the Tata Altroz! It gave us the confidence to bring this car home - in face of the not so good record of such gearboxes in India. Thank you for this thread!

One question - we got the carpet floor mats and they do get dirty very quickly. Other cars generally have the carpet mat with a plastic mat on top of that. However, I read somewhere in the manual that Tata does not recommend double mats. Any thoughts on this? (I did search Boodmo, but did not get any good options of transparent plastic mat to put on top of the carpet mats)
anand_roy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks