Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 14:09   #31
BHPian

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

Congratulation for the new car and wish you many happy and safe miles with your Altroz.

I have similar question like some BHPians have- what are the factors for not considering the Jazz. Is that the news of discontinuity or something else. It will give different perspective to us as well as a purchaser.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I have similar question like some BHPians have- what are the factors for not considering the Jazz.
Thanks for the wishes! The reason for not picking up the Jazz - my wife felt that it is very common on the road and there’s no novelty factor in it. No other reason, we just liked the Altroz more than any other car, purely a heart choice!
Old 9th September 2022, 11:53   #33
abg

Congratulations on your new Altroz DCA, wish you many happy miles with this awesome beauty!

I have also booked Altroz DCA for my wife (XZA+, same colour!) and waiting for the delivery. Reading your post was like a crash course for us!

Many thanks for your wonderful writing, hopefully, I will have my car soon with me.
abg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

No further updates as of today. The total mileage crossed 300kms yesterday night. Tomorrow or on Sunday, I hope to post some exterior photos of the car. That's what is missing from the thread. Tomorrow, we are traveling to our in-laws place, once again to Satara; so we have a chance to test the cruise control feature. I will update the experience here tomorrow or on Sunday.

Some things that I missed to mention in the main review are these:
  1. The steering wheel is a flat bottom steering which feels nice and chunky to hold. It is adjustable for height but not for the reach.
  2. The fuel lid opener is in the standard position near the driver's door. It's not linked to the central locking in any way (to give a reference, in the EcoSport, the fuel lid is managed by the central locking; unlocking the doors will also unlock the fuel opener)
  3. The rearview camera can be used to keep a tab on the vehicles trailing us; as shared by Turbosailor (Thanks Turbosailor). However, it is pretty useless at night because most of the people drive on high beams and the display distracts you when used in this way because the glare from the vehicles behind you is blinding.
  4. Wing mirrors are wide and will do a good job of showing the traffic to your LHS and RHS.
  5. We finally figured out how to change the mood lighting today morning! It's a roundabout process but I will show that with pictures. The red is gaudy, yellow/bronze looks weird, so we reverted back to the default blue.
  6. As pointed out by Turbosailor (Thanks, once again!) Siri works flawlessly when used with voice command buttons. The voice commands are useful now, but we are still learning some of those yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post
Congratulations on your new Altroz DCA, wish you many happy miles with this awesome beauty!
Thanks and wish you all the best with your new Altroz!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 18:29   #35
BHPian

Excellent write up! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it while sipping on my evening coffee! Congratulations on your Altroz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

What's this silver thing on the A-pillar? We both thought that these are tweeters. But then common sense prevailed and we realized that there couldn't be six tweeters and four speakers in the car!!
I'm guessing those are actually the front tweeters. The other one near the door handle might be for the mids. I suppose the front setup is three components - the bass speakers, the mid speakers, and the tweeters.
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few exterior pictures of the Altroz. The location is Thoseghar waterfalls/Chalkewadi windmill farm. There was heavy rainfall on Saturday when we went there for a photo shoot of the car.

When I mentioned the piano black surface was going to be problematic- this is what I meant. There are already micro scratches on all the exterior piano black finished surfaces
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4805.jpg

The rear lights are tiny but bright. The alloy wheel design is simple and looks nice.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4825.jpg

Here's a side profile of the car. The chrome strip was the only thing that we added on the car. Otherwise no other additions, it is completely stock.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4826.jpg

Grey colours looks good, it's a please all and offend no one colour
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4827.jpg

This is one of the best angles to view the car. Notice the projector headlamp and the pilot lamps which are on.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4829.jpg

The chrome strips are nice, but they are not subtle as is the case with VW cars. I am not really a fan of chrome but these are okay for me, they are not too much in your face.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4833.jpg

A photo with the windmills in the background.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4835.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear, with the lights on. They are small as I said, but bright enough.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4837.jpg

Another generic angle from which the car looks beautiful.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4840.jpg

The natural water beading effect. We have not opted for any kind of coating as yet. The paint quality is darn good and is even on all the surfaces.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4843.jpg

It remains to be seen, how the paint fares in the coming years. This one is on the roof. The antenna is a springy one, we would have loved a shark fin antenna. This could be a future D-I-Y.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4844.jpg

Vocal for Local sticker. Is that really true in the sense of this car? Or does it have bits and pieces mixed from multiple car manufacturers? Also, notice the piano black finished triange above the windscreen. That probably could be a cover for fitting the rear spoiler
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4845.jpg

Wild flowers, nothing specific about this photo
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4846.jpg

The chrome strips, are not overdone but not subtle either. The car looks good in this frontal shot. Just to clarify, our son is not alone, my wife was there in the driver's seat! However, the reflection on the windscreen makes it look otherwise.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4849.jpg

Doors open w-i-d-e! Notice that the rear window does not roll down fully.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4857.jpg

The wide opening doors is a boon and a bane. Boon because it allows the elderly a huge space to enter and exit, but they are bane because the will bang an adjacent surface or will eat up space on narrow roads, such that vehicles cannot pass.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4858.jpg

When it's raining hard, there's no better combination than hot tea, Parle-G and omelette-pav!!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4861.jpg

Another 3/4 view of the car. There's the piano black surface again, on the side. It's quite thick. What's the obsession with this colour, wherever possible? The good thing about this is that is blends nicely with whatever shade of colour the car is.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4866.jpg

The heavy rainfall caused a build up of fog inside the light housing. Notice the piano black surface (again!) and the chrome strip.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4867.jpg

A generic photo of the scenery. The nature here in these parts is utterly beautiful!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4870.jpg

A long shot of the car, the rain had stopped for a few moments here. The roads are awesome and there's hardly any traffic on these interior roads.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4872.jpg

Here's a rear shot of the car, taken when the rain had stopped for some time. 10 minutes later it became overcast and begain raining once again.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4873.jpg

The dashboard shows a nice 3D picture of the car with the exact door that is open.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4884.jpg

In one of the original posts, I had mentioned about this. This is a nifty feature where the car reminds you to align the steering wheel if it's turned in either directions while parking. It also tells you the direction in which you need to turn the steering.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4885.jpg

The indicator on the fender is tiny! Do not be fooled by the outer covering, that's way bigger than the actual bulb and it's housing.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4931.jpg

As you can see, there are quite a few reflective (you guessed it, piano black again!) surfaces in the car. For example, the car is in Neutral but I have a hard time figuring that out, because the outside reflections are bright. It's all the more obvious in the second picture.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4932.jpg
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4933.jpg

For a round trip of ~300kms, for an automatic car that's actually quite a good Fuel Efficiency of 15.6kmpl! The odometer stands at 606kms yesterday evening as you can see. Funnily we averaged a speed of 37 kmph only, that's quite low!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4934.jpg

A parting shot of the car.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-xffm8252.jpg

Here's a video, I made showing the sweep of the wipers in heavy rains. The rain sensing wipers work like a charm! The video link isn't broken, it will play, but it doesn't show the thumbnail.

The cruise control feature on the car also works well. We are both addicted to it now!! We made good use of it in the Pune-Satara trip but the Mumbai Pune expressway is a better place to use it.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 12th September 2022 at 10:53.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 23:23   #37
BHPian

Well, two 'machines' which I really love. One the Altroz and the Second the WAG7. Both are Homegrown beauties in their own right!

Very well-written review and kudos on keeping the negatives also in line with the many positives that the car has. For better FE, try keeping the tyres at recommended pressure always, Kharadi traffic (or rather on the way to Kharadi and back) is really taxing. I drive Viman Nagar - Kharadi - Aundh - Bhoslenagar almost twice a week and if not for my automatics, my sciatic back would have had me hospitalised by now.

For the piano black plastics - consider getting them TPU wrapped at 3M or a good detailer. It scratches way less and is easier to keep clean.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 11:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Ketan. Loved it !!! Altroz is a nice hatchback which seriously needs turbo on the AT as well. Now this offers convenience of AT, space, features and most important SAFETY!! Happy motoring.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:48   #39

Very well written review. Crisp and very detailed!!

I have an Altroz at home too, except it is the dark edition with the 1.2L turbo petrol. From my experience with the car, the interior plastics aren't holding up too well and the car rattles quite a bit. Also one of the grab handles is making a creaking noise. While I'm disappointed with the interior fit and finish, I'm absolutely floored by the way it drives. Turbo pulls nicely but even more impressive is the handling and high speed stability.

Been wanting to pen down an ownership review of my own but couldn't find the time to do it just yet. Maybe I'm just lazy

Anyways wishing you have a great ownership experience. Will keep my eye on this thread. So do keep updating.

Cheers!!
RaceCyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 01:32   #40
BHPian

Congratulations on your Altroz DCA.

My wish-list for Altroz DCA is as follows:

1. 6 Airbags
2. Hill hold assist and ESP
3. LED headlights

I'm hoping Tata will bring these a future refresh.
FiestaST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 08:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCyborg View Post
While I'm disappointed with the interior fit and finish, I'm absolutely floored by the way it drives. Turbo pulls nicely but even more impressive is the handling and high speed stability.
Thanks for your wishes. As you said, the interior quality can be definitely improved with more soft touch plastics but having said that, it is still better as compared to many other hatchbacks. The iTurbo is way better than the 1.2NA petrol, but unfortunately Tata doesn't sell the Turbo with the automatic, else we would have definitely bought that combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestaST View Post
1. 6 Airbags
2. Hill hold assist and ESP
3. LED headlights
Correct! There is a quite a mismatch of features and variants in the lineup. In fact even the colours don't seem to be consistent with the variants! I just wish Tata would give everything with the XZ+ variant - that would make it complete in all the sense.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 08:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Very beautifully written and delightful reading through out with style and detail to match, congratulations on the Altroz DCA. Wish you and your family, many miles with smiles and with your experience I shall definitely look at a Tata product. Rated 5*
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 13:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

So, we completed 700+kms in the first month. Tomorrow, the car completes one month in our home. A few practical observations so far -
  1. The DCA gearbox is a bliss in traffic. It really makes the driving fatigue free. Since we both come from a manual transmission background, the auto gears are working wonders for us. We have come to love the stress free nature of the drive in this car. No clutch means that your left hand, left leg and your right brain are idle to fiddle around the controls!
  2. Coming to controls - I am happy that there are quite a few physical buttons (though not everything gets a physical button). All the buttons have a good tactile feedback even though they are soft to press.
  3. Chilled glove box is like a mini freezer. We have managed to successfully transport two half kg boxes of sweets in the cold environment inside the glove box successfully, without spoiling the flavor and the taste of those. Having said that, one more observation is that the glove box is deep. It can swallow up a lot of "miscellaneous" things inside it.
  4. The ISOFIX mounts on the rear seat have an outer cladding of plastic. The one on the right hand side has come slightly undone (we will get it fixed in the first service).
  5. The area above the dashboard is very wide and long. The carbon fiber look and feel is premium but... it's also a big reflection magnet. Just see the pictures below and you will realize what I am saying. When the sunlight is front of you (i.e. you are traveling in the eastern or south eastern direction) the reflections become a big problem. See the reflection of the idol here in the picture and also of the defogger openings.
  6. Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4996.jpg
  7. Similarly see the dashboard in front of the driver. That's very reflective. I don't know if it's some polish that was applied or if the plastic is that way. On a side note - in the city the fuel efficiency that we are currently getting is 9.6 - 9.8 kmpl depending on the traffic conditions. I am expecting it to improve after the first service and after the 2K-2.5K km mark is done.
  8. Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-img_4997.jpg
  9. First free service coming up soon. I will share my experience here once it is done. They have said that we can avail it anytime between month 1 and month 2, but we haven't booked the appointment yet.
If anyone of you has a suggestion for resolving the reflection problem, do let me know
W.A.G.7 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 14:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Buy a set of polarized sunglasses. Will sort out the reflection issue.
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

The next update is nothing specific. The car is performing it's beater car duties nicely. The automatic gearbox is a boon in the heavy traffic situation. We are happy that the car is fulfilling the use case for which we had bought it. The first service for 1000kms is scheduled for 15th Oct 2022, so I will update the service experience once the first service is completed. Let's see how that works out. The mileage on the car is now ~940 kms and the average fuel efficiency is hovering around 9.8-10.0 kmpl depending on how hard it is driven. Let's observe how it increases or remains steady over the next couple of months after the first service.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks