Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 22:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

The odometer of the car stands at 1103 kms as of today.

The first servicing was done on 15th Oct 2022. The final bill came to only Rs. 449/-. We were surprised till we realized that it's only a general checkup. I mean the first two servicings are actually only checkups. The real service is at 1 year or 15,000 kms where they do the oil change.

So, we double checked it in the manual and yes, the oil change interval is 1 year or 15,000 kms whichever is earlier. This should clarify all doubts about the service interval of the car.

Gear oil change, as per the manual is every 5 years or 75,000 kms, whichever is earlier. For the reference, I have attached the manual of the Altroz with this post.

The average fuel efficiency is now 11.2 kmpl as per the MID. Hopefully should improve. However, even if it doesn't improve; what the heck!! The convenience of the auto gearbox is so good, that we have stopped thinking about the F.E for the time being.

Another thing to notice (esp. in the photo below) is that everything on this car is a swirl magnet. Even the speedo console plastic is a swirl magnet. You can decide and put swirls on anything and everything that is within your reach. Possibly seats are the only things where there are no swirls!!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-screenshot-20221021-224953.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf altroz-itpms-etc-bsvi-30-11-21.pdf (7.74 MB, 749 views)
W.A.G.7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 12:31   #47
BHPian

re: Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced

Another thing to notice (esp. in the photo below) is that everything on this car is a swirl magnet. Even the speedo console plastic is a swirl magnet. You can decide and put swirls on anything and everything that is within your reach. Possibly seats are the only things where there are no swirls!!

What do you mean by swirl? The oil marks on mirror finished objects?
Old 24th October 2022, 13:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error402 View Post

Swirl marks are scratches that look like this
Attached Thumbnails
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-screenshot_20221024130757.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 21:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Another week, another update. The car is running absolutely fine and the mileage on the car is nearing 1500 kms. Average fuel efficiency is hovering around 11.3-11.5 kmpl. That is understandable given the peak traffic conditions in which it is driven.

A couple of observations, that we noted over the last weekend - I have added the photos below

The battery is from Amaron. Apparently much better than the red Exide ones. This is the first time we have had an Amaron battery in the car family, so right now I can't comment if this one is better or Exide is better. Time will tell.
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-battery-screenshot-20221103-212035.jpg

Someone at Tata has gone overboard with the stickers. Once you notice it - there are a plethora of stickers and bar codes stuck across each part in the engine bay. I mean, what gives? Either they have a lot of free time on their hand or a lot of stickers. Or possibly both, to splurge away on every engine bay!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-stickers-screenshot-20221103-212207.jpg

We also noticed a sticker which says FIAT. This one is on the main engine block. Is this engine made by FIAT then? Someone told us that the gearbox is from Hyundai. Once again, what gives?!! If the two cases (FIAT and Hyundai) are true, then they wasted the "Vocal for Local" sticker on the rear windshield!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-fiat-screenshot-20221103-212111.jpg

The climate control seems to be from Behr-Hella Thermocontrol. The A/C is a chiller - we normally tone the blower down to speed 1 after switching on the climate control. Else the palms and elbows go cold in no time.

And if you notice it the mouth of the container is neatly hidden under the plastic lid. Once again, what gives?! 5 stickers more on a metal part. They did not spare the green sticker either - someone stuck a white bar code across that one as well!!
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-ac-screenshot-20221103-211947.jpg

To summarize, Tata have used better quality OEM components in this car. I hope this is a case with all the cars they sell (Tiago, Tigor, Nexon, Safari, Harrier). Overall, happy with the purchase so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error402 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Swirl marks are scratches that look like this
Well, these are swirls no doubt about it. The photo doesn't show it correctly, but that's what we noticed everywhere.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 16:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

My Tiago AC is also quite a chiller, need to either increase the temperature or lower the fan speed.
The Altroz engine may be manufactured at the Fiat assembly in Ranjangaon. I understand its a JV between TML and FCA.
Old 7th November 2022, 17:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Agreed! Got delivery of the car in the morning, friends visited in the evening and the first thing they observed were the swirl marks on the piano black finish on the tail light. I wonder how it is going to look over time.
Srict_Lord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:24   #52

Hi Guys,

Recently bought the Altroz DCA after a lot of research into the i20 DCT, Honda Jazz CVT etc.

The gearbox is fantastic and incredibly smooth, but i have noticed that there are occasional jerks similar to when releasing the half clutch abruptly in a manual. I notice these jerks while gear shifting either between 1-2 or 2-3 im not entirely sure about this as yet.

It doesnt happen often, but im almost due for the first service and wanted to know everyone else's experience with the DCA gearbox. I drove my friend's polo(7 years) old and noticed it had some similar jerks but that could also be due to age.

Another thing i noticed was its far lesser when the tank is full and more pronounced when the tank is closer to empty.

Anybody else experienced this?

Side Note:- Machine Learning is hogwash yes?
Old 10th December 2022, 18:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another update. The car has completed 1725 km as of today. Touch wood, nothing to report except for the one occurrence mentioned by bva91 below. The gearbox is smooth shifting and has no cause for complaints at all. In fact, it shifts so smoothly, that you realize it only after the engine noise increases or decreases. Here is an observation, that we have noticed after using the car in the ghats or on inclines.

We drove the car in the ghats and as someone has mentioned on the forum somewhere, using the manual mode makes it a lot easier than using the auto gears. Now, this statement was actually made by someone for AMT gearboxes, but since the Altroz is underpowered, it holds good in this car's case as well. On inclines, the gearbox has a tendency to downshift and hold on to the lower gear. This becomes all the more obvious due to the whine of the engine (it's underpowered for a heavy car, to say the least).

What this means is that, if the car is on an incline, it downshifts to 2nd or 1st gear at the earliest opportunity; and tends to keep holding it in the powerband. That may not be a bad thing as such, but being human we can see the road ahead and know that shifting to 3rd or 4th would help a bit. So unless you mash the accelerator on the incline, it will chug along in the lower gear for as long as possible.

On that background, what we sorely miss now are the paddle shifters (remember, I had told my wife - you can't have your cake and eat it too! ) Especially when you put it into manual mode and realize that you need to keep shifting using your left hand. That's incorrigible. Maybe version 2 of the Altroz automatic will have the paddle shifters along with the iTurbo engine. Tata - are you reading and listening to the feedback?

One thing we noticed (and it has been outlined by bva91 as well) - When the car has been driven for 40-50kms or so; and you stop and put it into reverse, there is a slight jerk as if a newbie driver has released the clutch quickly. It has happened only 2-3 times so far and we couldn't replicate the issue consistently. Hence, keeping our fingers crossed, it shouldn't turn out to be something related to the DCA gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bva91 View Post
Has Anybody else experienced this?
Hi bva91 - I have noticed this kind of jerk 2-3 times in our Altroz, but only when it was being reversed and after it has been driven a long distance say 40-50 km at a stretch.

Since your first service is due, get it checked. It's always safe than sorry. It hasn't become a concern for us yet, although we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 10th December 2022 at 18:59.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 23:18   #54
BHPian

Got the XZ+ DCA about a month back. The odometer is barely at 500 kms or so. Basically a brand new car and today the instrument cluster screen conked off! Come on Tata!! This is exactly the reason I stayed away from Skoda few years back when I chose to buy Crysta. Just dont have the time and bandwidth to deal with such stuff!
The car is driving fine, but all the warning lights lit up like it’s Christmas and no indication of fuel level, DTE etc. is not very encouraging is it? Tried turning the car off and on a few times, but the issue persists.
Will send it to the service center soon and just hope its a minor glitch.
Obviously a case of a solid car being let down by poor software. Mind you, this car feels a league or two ahead when I sit in my cousins Baleno, but I don’t remember him or any other Maruti owner, including myself, facing such issues so early into ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Head-bobbing tales | Story of our Tata Altroz DCA | EDIT: Coolant hose & cap replaced-57eeefb9bd944f74b9a7bb799f381ffd.jpeg  

powerband_rider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 22:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Basically a brand new car and today the instrument cluster screen conked off!
Oh no! This is something new. Thanks for highlighting this problem here. So, what did the service centre say for this problem? It can be something as simple as a loose connection or could be more complex as you feel. What is the service centre’s opinion on this?

And which dealer did you get your Altroz from?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 14:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
What is the service centre’s opinion on this?

And which dealer did you get your Altroz from?
Of all the features advertised by Tata, one feature that got left out is self-healing car! I asked the driver to take it to the service centre in the morning and he instantly came back confused - Sagla tar chalu ahe sir?! Or may be he has a healing touch! Who knows..
So the problem has gone away on its own overnight and for good is what I hope. Imagine if this was possible in our lives too!

Got the car from Dev Motors - SB Road, who came of as more eager to make the sale then.

BTW are you using the IRA app features? I haven't been able to initiate the app because its asking for some PIN that i don't have and it wouldn't budge. Is it worth the effort?

I keenly read your review at the time of going ahead with Altroz!
Frankly, this car is highly underrated and should be selling more, atleast for use-cases like mine where its purely short city commutes, school/grocery runs etc., basically all bumper-to-bumper scenes where 0-100 times, turbos etc. don't matter much. Just need a smooth, solid drive.
powerband_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 17:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, this car is highly underrated and should be selling more, atleast for use-cases like mine where its purely short city commutes, school/grocery runs etc., basically all bumper-to-bumper scenes where 0-100 times, turbos etc. don't matter much. Just need a smooth, solid drive.
The fact that one gets to read / hear / see so many Tata related horror stories could be the very reason why their cars are underrated and mostly do not sell as well as they should (ideally). I would not touch such examples with a barge pole if I'm anxious all the time regarding their (basic) functionality / reliabilty. More so if such niggles appear so early when the car is more or less new.
Sidjohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidjohri View Post
The fact that one gets to read / hear / see so many Tata related horror stories could be the very reason
Partly true i feel. Although mine doesn't qualify for a horror story, but such things do affect the ownership experience a bit.
Fundamentally most of Tata's cars these days are checking the right boxes - Drives well (ICE and EV), safe, decent interiors and features, priced competitively and good-looking (subjective), which is definitely resulting in their cars finding a wider customer base. My society is just an example where Nexon EVs share the garage with 75L - 1Cr. segment cars. They just need to tighten the Quality Control to avoid such niggles.
Old 9th January 2023, 06:48   #59
BHPian

Hi All - We have just taken delivery of the Altroz DCA - initial days yet but find the overall driving experience smooth. Fingers crossed ownership experience goes well.
Any recommendations for installing a cabin light for the rear passengers ? The cabin lights are positioned more for the driver and front passenger.
Old 10th January 2023, 07:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

So, almost 2000 km done so far (actual mileage ~1950 km). Admittedly less mileage in 4 months of ownership but we are sure it will pick up soon. The car was not much used in December. This was because of the holiday season in the USA; my wife didn't need to go to the office much. But as of today, nothing new to report. The car is doing its beater duties efficiently.
  1. The DCA gearbox is very very smooth and the car is stress-free to drive in traffic. In fact, the auto gearbox has made us converts. Earlier we were purely manual gearbox fans, now we both are automatic gearbox fanatics.
  2. The engine is also great for a city beater, where your average speed never exceeds 40-45 kph.
  3. The build quality is solid, with no rattles or loose parts anywhere. The paint quality is superb, and one bucket of water is enough to make it shine. The plastics are great to touch everywhere and anywhere.
  4. On one short trip to Mumbai, we got a chance to use the cruise control. It works nicely and we love the feature more and more now.
  5. The Harman sound system is fantastic, we saved a lot of money on the ICE upgrade. 4 speakers and 4 tweeters make it a pleasure to listen to any music.
Two nitpicks that I would like to share once again.
  1. The piano-black surfaces are swirl magnets. Now every black highlight on the car looks like a halo around the sun
  2. The underpowered engine. Enough said!! It's out on the highway where you start realizing why you need the iTurbo car's motor in this one. The fantastic gearbox is let down by the underpowered engine. The box shifts smoothly and quickly, but the engine takes its own sweet time to get into the power band and push the car ahead. Plus the heavy car doesn't make it easy for the engine either.
Quote:
BTW are you using the IRA app features? I haven't been able to initiate the app because it is asking for some PIN that I don't have and it wouldn't budge. Is it worth the effort?
Frankly speaking, no. We tried the IRA app and as you said, it asks for a pin. We tried to figure out where to get the pin from. Everyone from the showroom to the call centre guys seems clueless. We finally gave up as we couldn't spend time explaining the same thing to different people daily. Also, we didn't find any value addition for the connected features (a classic case of "the grapes are sour" ). But definitely not worth the effort. Just enjoy the car as is and you will be rewarded.

Quote:
I keenly read your review at the time of going ahead with Altroz!
Thanks so much! It's nice to read that you found this thread useful.

Quote:
Frankly, this car is highly underrated and should be selling more, at least for use-cases like mine where its purely short city commutes, school/grocery runs etc., basically all bumper-to-bumper scenes where 0-100 times, turbos etc. don't matter much. Just need a smooth, solid drive.
This is very true. It's a very underrated car. People stay away from the DCA version, but within the city runs, it's just perfect for everything. As I have said, the underpowered engine doesn't matter much in the city, where the average speed never exceeds 40-45 kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidjohri View Post
The fact that one gets to read/hear/see so many Tata-related horror stories could be the very reason why their cars are underrated and mostly do not sell as well as they should (ideally). I would not touch such examples with a barge pole if I'm anxious all the time regarding their (basic) functionality/reliability. More so if such niggles appear so early when the car is more or less new.
Quote:
Partly true i feel. Although mine doesn't qualify for a horror story, but such things do affect the ownership experience a bit.
Fundamentally most of Tata's cars these days are checking the right boxes - Drives well (ICE and EV), safe, have decent interiors and features, priced competitively and good-looking (subjective), which is definitely results in their cars finding a wider customer base. My society is just an example where Nexon EVs share the garage with 75L - 1Cr. segment cars. They just need to tighten the Quality Control to avoid such niggles.
I think powerband_rider has covered everything that I wanted to say. Sidjohri - if you like the car, go and get it for yourself. It's a great city car. Plus we have had a very positive experience so far, with Garve Tata. Quality control needs to be tightened though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Hi All - We have just taken delivery of the Altroz DCA - initial days yet but find the overall driving experience smooth. Finger's crossed ownership experience goes well.
Any recommendations for installing a cabin light for the rear passengers? The cabin lights are positioned more for the driver and front passenger.
Congratulations! Share some pictures of your car, or even better - create a new thread. I am sure you will have a great time with it.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks