Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2022, 23:51   #16

Re: Took a leap of faith and bought Jeep Compass Petrol AT | Ownership Review

Congrats Yash.

Regarding the wireless charger: I completely agree it's useless. What I have done on my Model S is that I am using a seperate wireless charger ordered from Amazon. This way, I can avoid any wires in the car, use wireless Apple Carplay and also continue to charge my phone.

Regarding dashcam: Will it be possible for you share photographs of how you have managed the wiring, especially around the A Pillar? I am planning to install one myself
roadtriplover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 13:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post
Congratulations on your purchase...For the rat menance I used no entry rat repellent once a week for 2 months and let my daschsunds loose in the garrage and found some 5-7 rats hunted down within a week
Hey, thank you. For now, I have tied some old socks filled with tobacco under the hood. Keeping fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh207 View Post
This is so true, most people are unaware of the PDI process and why it is important ... the first question they ask is "Won't the dealer take care of it?"
Thank you! Yes, ignorance and blind trust on the dealers seems to be the norm. It is surprising that in a trust deficient country like ours, we blindly trust the seller when it comes to big ticket purchases like homes and cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
It’s a beauty. This red color by Jeep is an awesome successor to the erstwhile Punto red by FCA/Stellantis. Hope you have taken the maximum warranty possible just for the peace of mind.
It is a beauty indeed. Yes, I have taken the 4th and 5th year extended warranty. Can't take any chances with FCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
Great review YashG, on an equally great car! Quite detailed, including the decisioning phase (though for most of us with Jeep it is all about the heart at the end!)
Thank you. Yes, it was a total heart over mind decision. I mean, look at her. Who won't fall in love with this beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtriplover View Post
Regarding the wireless charger: I completely agree it's useless. What I have done on my Model S is that I am using a seperate wireless charger ordered from Amazon.

Regarding dashcam: Will it be possible for you share photographs of how you have managed the wiring, especially around the A Pillar?
Currently I am using a C-to-C cable to charge the phone when required. It seems fast enough to actually top up the phone to 100% even while Android auto is on and that too without heating up the phone too much.

I made a video about dashcam and how I routed the cable through the A pillar.

yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 12:39   #18
BHPian

I went on my first solo road trip and the first road trip of the Compass to Ajanta-Ellora. Also crossed 1,000 KMs.

Some observations from the highway drive - the car was rock steady and stable at high speeds. The steering is precise so I was able to maintain the lane even while taking corners at 80-90. The road was pretty bad at many places and because of road widening work going on, there were service roads which I had to take which gave me off-roading feel. The suspension made those patches bearable. One physical button I sorely missed while driving was audio play/pause button. There is a button on the steering wheel to mute audio which mutes all audio and also pauses the music, but if I just want to pause the music while driving, there is only the touch screen option. Fiddling with the screen while driving at high speeds is a dicey business.

You get the best mileage while driving around 80. While on my drive from hotel to Ellora on highway at consistent speed of 70-75, I saw FE of 19 something. But the FE drops if you increase the speed and drops much faster as you get into stop and go traffic. For the entire 950 KM journey I got average of 12.5.
yashg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:51   #19
BHPian

Congratulations yashg for the red beast and wishes for many happy miles.

Have you done any underbody coating yet? I got my car in October, and was thinking of getting it done during the 5K service. But looking for some thoughts from other fellow owners.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Congratulations yashg for the red beast and wishes for many happy miles.

Have you done any underbody coating yet? I got my car in October, and was thinking of getting it done during the 5K service. But looking for some thoughts from other fellow owners.
The vehicle comes with underbody coating from Factory, this and all others : )
The service guys always try to push for one at first/second service. The coating lasts for atleast 2-3 years. You may consider it in the 3rd year.
Maky is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 20:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
The vehicle comes with underbody coating from Factory, this and all others : )
The service guys always try to push for one at first/second service. The coating lasts for atleast 2-3 years. You may consider it in the 3rd year.
Hey thank you for the info. I did not know about this. I will surely keep this in mind when I speak on get spoken about this by the service folks.
Old 14th February 2023, 20:10   #22
BHPian

Congratulations ! It's a lovely vehicle. Enjoy the drive !
bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 12:45   #23

Congratulations on your New Jeep Compass

I got my Compass delivered last month. It is a Night Eagle - Magnesio Grey edition.

I have a query regarding the DRLs in the Compass. I feel that there is a difference between the DRLs present in Sport, Longitude, and Night Eagle models when compared to the Model S, Limited, or the Anniversary Edition.

Request all of you to share your views.

Thank you,
Abijith.
Abijith P Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 16:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abijith P Nair View Post
I have a query regarding the DRLs in the Compass. I feel that there is a difference between the DRLs present in Sport, Longitude, and Night Eagle models when compared to the Model S, Limited, or the Anniversary Edition.

Request all of you to share your views.

Thank you,
Abijith.
Yes, the S has DRLs with switchback functionality meaning they turn orange and blink when indicators are on, whereas the other variants get halogen indicators and the DRLs just dim a bit when indicators are on.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:57   #25

Hello Yash and everone here !

A bit late to congratulate you but nevertheless, congrats mate. Very detailed and crisp write-up.

New to the forum, although I have been an avid reader of this fantastic forum for many years but only recently I got the oppertunity to be part of this community.

I got my exact same model delivered a week back, albeit in techno metalic green.

If you could throw some light on the bumpsteer that I have been experiencing. I hope I am using the term correclty. The drive is perfectly aligned on smooth road without any untowards pull but on bumpy road, at slow speed, I feel the steering jolt, kind of the steering turning in and out on every bump. Only happens at lower speed.

Is it normal for a power assisted hydrolic steering that the compass has?

I was driving elite i20 before and the bump steer wasn't as pronounced as the compass.

Tyre pressure is as per recommendation.
Old 29th May 2023, 17:56   #26
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Need your wise inputs here. My compas is diesel manual, 8 months, 5000 kms old. Today my brother while taking it to Uttarakhand, nainital area, during a police checkpost stop, around 10kms before his destination, noticed a severe burning smell in the cabin. He noticed smoke in the engine bay area. There was no display of engine heating up on the display, engine oil was at normal level when he started the journey, coolantlevel too is up to mark. What could be the reason. Shall he start the vehicle after sometime or should it be atrayto send it back to add on a flatbed. Adblue level has not been checked but it should be ok.
The jeep support is not providing any backup vehicle, not are they willing to take it to Noida instead of Dehradun. Noida would be closer to my place of stay.
Also posted the query at the jeep compass official review page.
Regards
Old 29th May 2023, 18:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Need your wise inputs here...
Sounds like clutch burn, was the vehicle driven in hilly terrain?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2023 at 16:03. Reason: Trimmed quote
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 18:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Sounds like clutch burn, was the vehicle driven in hilly terrain?
Thanks for responding. Seems the same to me. But just driving 15-20 kms in hills is too short a distance for a clutch burn. Also the driver is an experienced one, driven hundreds of kms in hills.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2023 at 16:02. Reason: Broken quote tags
Old 6th June 2023, 00:51   #29
BHPian

6 months first service update

It's been 6 months since I got the Compass. After the trip to Ajanta-Ellora in December, had one trip to Dahanu for a weekend getaway. It has only been office drives and burning petrol stuck in traffic.

Took it for the first six months/5000 KMs service to the Andheri SC of Landmark Jeep. Not much to do except routine checks, software update and wheel alignment and balancing. There was some rattling noise coming from the rear which I asked the SA to check and fix. He later called me saying it was coming from the sunroof and will take a day to fix. Had left the car at SC on a Saturday, collected it on Monday. SA showed me a video of a lose nut which was causing some movement and noise. It was tightened. The rattling issue is now fixed. Total expense was 2213 for WA+WB. Uneventful routine service experience. Nothing to complain about.

I noticed some BYDs in the service center. SA mentioned Landmark has acquired BYD dealership. For now they are servicing them from the Jeep SC, they will eventually move them to a dedicated center once volume increases.

The car has been running smoothly. Other than the rattling there was no other complain from the car. Fuel economy has been abysmal though. Mumbai traffic is getting worse day by day. The commute that used to take 50 minutes pre-covid now routinely takes 1 hour 20 minutes. I barely manage FE of 6-7 for the 50 odd KM commute which sometime takes 3.3 hours total!

I have been part of the Jeep owners groups. They routinely organise trails. Haven't been able to join any yet for one reason or the other. Just last Saturday the group went to Shivar motocross. Hope to join one of the trails in the coming months.

So far, so good.
yashg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 20:13   #30
BHPian

Just to update, my jeep's clutch plates assembly was replaced at the ass under Goodwill gesture. Jeep is running fine.
Difficult to understand the reason for the clutch burn. One reason, I can think of is that I have to keep perforce the left foot on the clutch while driving, as few months back I had undergone amputation left lower limb, below knee and use a prosthesis. Clutch is continuously slightly depressed as a result of this though it is not engaged and there is no half clutch use. Could it be the reason, I don't know.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed