Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 10:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Ah! EVM BMW seems to be following the rules to the T! Didn’t realise you were in Trivandrum. I’m from Tvm as well, and will be driving down with the M340i in May. Would be great to connect!
I'm from Trivandrum, but based out of Cochin. Let's try to meet up whenever you're down South.

Also, I would turn off the Start/Stop (if they still have that button) - the additional wear and tear on the engine, battery, ISG - all of those systems aren't worth the miniscule savings in consumption. It has become muscle memory for me now, hitting that button along with the Start button. It can be coded out, but I've been procrastinating on that, to be honest.
Old 8th February 2023, 14:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
What kind of protection do they provide for alloy wheels when you opt for full body PPF?

Maybe next time when you visit here, you could try the old highway if you like.
Thank you! They do ceramic coating on the alloys, interior trims etc where they cannot do PPF.
And thanks for the tip on the old highway. Will try it out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Also, I would turn off the Start/Stop (if they still have that button) - the additional wear and tear on the engine, battery, ISG - all of those systems aren't worth the miniscule savings in consumption.
The LCI doesn’t have a switch to turn off Auto Start Stop - one has to go into the vehicle menu and change it. With it being imperceptible, courtesy the ISG, I don’t find it worth the hassle. An easier and more fun option is to switch to Sport!

One question to the community here though. Facing a bit of trouble on the registration part. Navnit BMW got a number on my address wrong, so instead of B4, they put B2 as the building name. The RTO top copied the same address in the RC. Now, Navnit has changed the invoice address but are saying they can’t do anything about correcting the RC address. Any idea how I can approach this?

Additionally, they haven’t given me the high security sticker yet. The SA says there was some error which is why it wasn’t given with the car. This has now been resolved and he has the corrected sticker, but there’s no response to when they’d deliver the sticker to me.

Last edited by krishnadevjs : 8th February 2023 at 14:08.
krishnadevjs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 10:33   #33
BHPian

Crossed 1,000 km on the M340i yesterday. Today, it's been exactly 4 weeks since I took delivery of the car.
Omitting the 11 days it was at Optimum Detailerz for the PPF installation, I've had the car for 17 days. In these 17 days, we've done 1 road trip to Lonavla and back, and another to Karjat and back.

Some observations:

1. Ride quality is very stiff but you'd get used to that. For all the power this car has, you really cannot use it on most Mumbai roads, given how undulating the surface is.
I found myself crawling over bumps and uneven surfaces, for the sake of both my spine, and the RFTs/Rims.

2. However, when you do get a stretch of free road, the M340i covers gaps like crazy. The car is like a horse, ever ready to launch into a full blown gallop, and you have to hold the reins. In fact, I've found it a bit over-eager, especially in traffic, especially with the auto hold function on. If I give the accelerator a light tap to get it moving, it jumps ahead. Have worked around this by turning off auto hold in bumper to bumper traffic, and allowing the car to creep without accelerator input.

3. The GC isn't that bad. If you drive cognizant of the fact that you are in a sports sedan, most speedbreakers are easily covered. I did the infamous Andheri - Ghatkopar stretch which is littered with unscientific speedbreakers with a full load, on an airport run and still didn't hit the bottom. Of course, the bigger breakers do need you to pull out the crab move.

4. Not something you look at from an M340i, but fuel efficiency isn't that bad. During both the long trips, I did about 40% in Sports Plus mode and 60% in Comfort mode. Ended up getting around 11 kmpl, which is not that bad at all. I would've got around 14-15 in my Octavia, I guess.
For my daily office commute, I get anything between 10 - 12 kmpl in the Octavia. The M340i gives around 8 to 9 in the morning (with lesser traffic) and 6 to 8 in the evening (when traffic is more), all in Comfort mode. I haven't yet driven extensively in EcoPro, will try that for a couple of days, just from a curiosity perspective. All of the M340i's performance is on XP95.

5. The My BMW App has very neat tricks. When we went to Saltt in Karjat, the car was parked under direct sunlight. By the time we were ready to leave, it would've been scorching hot in the car. I used the App to set a departure time and pre-cool the car, so that by the time we entered, the temperature inside was much much more comfortable than what it would've been otherwise.

6. One of these days, I should just pore over the owner's manual in much more detail. I'm yet to figure out several things, main among them being the Automatic Parking. This was quite straightforward in the Octavia, but I'm having trouble getting the M340i to recognize a parking space. Maybe other owners on the forum could enlighten me on the process?

7. There's this feature of the parking sensors coming on automatically when the car senses you're about to park. Problem is, in bumper to bumper traffic, the car thinks you're about to park and turns on the sensors. And courtesy the bikers and the autowallahs, every single direction screams red with alterting long tones from the sensors. I had to turn this off (as I did with the Octavia) since I felt this was very distracting.

8. The 'Hey BMW' feature turns on when you say 'Hey BMW'. But, it also erroneously turns off when you say a lot of other things. And then to get it to shut up is a task. I've also found that the system doesn't really recognize my accent always. Other voice assistants like Siri and Alexa always manage to get it right. This may be a feature which BMW has to work on to get it to work better.

On the PPF Installation, as I had mentioned before, I had chosen Optimum Detailerz and the Avery Dennison Supreme Extreme PPF. While application took quite a bit of time, there were some unexpected complications. The squeege marks on the PPF were still there, despite natural curing for 3 days.

Amolji had called the AD guys to his site as well to troubleshoot, and the consensus was that it would naturally heal in 2 days under sunlight. I was given the car, with an assurance that this would either go naturally OR the entire job would be redone.

Anyway, it did go away after the Karjat road trip, with plenty of sunshine all along the way.

There's a check-up scheduled shortly, where we'll go over the car with a microscope and check the film performance once again. While the squeege mark on the AD film was a bummer, the way AD and Optimum Detailerz responded was very proactive and customer-centric.

In fact, I haven't even paid Optimum the balance amount for the PPF - have been told to do this once the inspection is done, and both Amolji and I are fully satisfied.

Adding a few pics post PPF and during the Karjat road trip.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7720-conv.jpeg
After PPF Installation at Optimum Detailerz.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7723-conv.jpeg
The car and the Tanzanite blue shade stand out in any parking lot.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7740-conv.jpeg
If you park your car and you don't turn back to look and admire her, you're driving the wrong car.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-untitled1.jpg
The fuel economy screenshots. Octavia for reference in the same stretch.
krishnadevjs is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 00:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Crossed 1,000 km on the M340i yesterday. Today, it's been exactly 4 weeks since I took delivery of the car.
Omitting the 11 days it was at Optimum Detailerz for the PPF installation, I've had the car for 17 days. In these 17 days, we've done 1 road trip to Lonavla and back, and another to Karjat and back.

Some observations:

1. Ride quality is very stiff but you'd get used to that. For all the power this car has, you really cannot use it on most Mumbai roads, given how undulating the surface is.
I found myself crawling over bumps and uneven surfaces, for the sake of both my spine, and the RFTs/Rims.

2. However, when you do get a stretch of free road, the M340i covers gaps like crazy. The car is like a horse, ever ready to launch into a full blown gallop, and you have to hold the reins. In fact, I've found it a bit over-eager, especially in traffic, especially with the auto hold function on. If I give the accelerator a light tap to get it moving, it jumps ahead. Have worked around this by turning off auto hold in bumper to bumper traffic, and allowing the car to creep without accelerator input.

4. Not something you look at from an M340i, but fuel efficiency isn't that bad. During both the long trips, I did about 40% in Sports Plus mode and 60% in Comfort mode. Ended up getting around 11 kmpl, which is not that bad at all. I would've got around 14-15 in my Octavia, I guess.
For my daily office commute, I get anything between 10 - 12 kmpl in the Octavia. The M340i gives around 8 to 9 in the morning (with lesser traffic) and 6 to 8 in the evening (when traffic is more), all in Comfort mode. I haven't yet driven extensively in EcoPro, will try that for a couple of days, just from a curiosity perspective. All of the M340i's performance is on XP95.

5. The My BMW App has very neat tricks. When we went to Saltt in Karjat, the car was parked under direct sunlight. By the time we were ready to leave, it would've been scorching hot in the car. I used the App to set a departure time and pre-cool the car, so that by the time we entered, the temperature inside was much much more comfortable than what it would've been otherwise.

8. The 'Hey BMW' feature turns on when you say 'Hey BMW'. But, it also erroneously turns off when you say a lot of other things. And then to get it to shut up is a task. I've also found that the system doesn't really recognize my accent always. Other voice assistants like Siri and Alexa always manage to get it right. This may be a feature which BMW has to work on to get it to work better.
Nice List of observations :

1. Did you try setting up the settings to comfort mode (Steering, Suspension etc) to comfort and do try using that when driving in city streets. I know Mumbai roads aren't really great and comfort mode should help in a better ride.

2. B58 is an absolute beast. I forgive every other downside in favor of this engine (honestly, in my car I don't see any at all since the roads out here are flawless- Ride, Handling, Performance and Space are more than enough). Also, whenever you are in the ghats, shift to manual and use the paddle shifters for some real fun on twisties.

4. FE is more than commendable for this powerful engine. In Comfort, it can return very respectable figures and same can drastically change when using Sports +.

5. MyBMW app is really cool. There was a time my wife forgot the key in the boot while taking out groceries and locked the car. Technically, the car should not lock her out. But, it did for some strange reason. She almost called 911 for help. However, I used the MYBMW app from remotely and opened the car for her. This was a life saver.

6. Two irritants in car- The word "BMW" even if wrongly uttered in the car, BMW lady wakes up and says " How can I help you"...We don't speak about BMW when we are inside the car.

Another irritant is the gesture controls- While it's an awesome feature. When in the car, we have to keep our hands to ourselves. If we wave and talk, the songs will change, gets fast forwarded or stop completely. Just too sensitive and I get flak from my wife regularly on this as she loves to wave hands while talking and now she has to keep the hands tied down.

How much was the PPF cost? Btw, I never took much care of the car except once in a while car washes but, the paint quality of BMW is awesome and still has same shine even after 2 years.

Cheers and Enjoy the car !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th February 2023 at 00:46.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 07:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
If I give the accelerator a light tap to get it moving, it jumps ahead. Have worked around this by turning off auto hold in bumper to bumper traffic, and allowing the car to creep without accelerator input.
I too get this need to turn on/off auto-hold multiple times during a city drive but this is where Merc has done a better job of implementing auto-hold with a foot tap on brake pedal, unlike BMW where you need to look down and press the auto hold button.
CosmicWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 10:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice List of observations :

1. Did you try setting up the settings to comfort mode (Steering, Suspension etc) to comfort and do try using that when driving in city streets. I know Mumbai roads aren't really great and comfort mode should help in a better ride.
India M340i kits don't get adaptive suspension.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
unlike BMW where you need to look down and press the auto hold button.
At least on my pre-LCI M340i the Auto Hold button needs to be pressed just once. Then when one wants to engage it in traffic, the brake pedal needs to be pressed a bit harder. To disengage, one needs to step on the A-pedal. There is no need to look down and click any button anywhere to re-engage. One can again press hard on brake pedal to engage Auto Hold.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 20th February 2023, 14:29   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I actually found the 340i to have a fairly decent suspension set up for tackling uneven surfaces, undulating roads - the stiffer suspension managing to flatten them out fairly well at speed.
Problem is with the speed breakers & potholes where one needs to be ultra careful.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 14:35   #39

Since the launch of the G20 3 series and specifically the M340i, I have not missed even a single related thread or post. In 2020, I bought a 320d, loved it and upgraded to a 330i in Portimao Blue (do I hear anyone laughing given this isn’t exactly an upgrade, moving from a diesel to a petrol option within the same car ). Anyway, all your reviews and comments about the M340i has given me goosebumps. Last Saturday, I got to properly test drive the M340i LCI on an open stretch of a road. Slotting the car in Sport Plus mode, I managed to race the car to good speeds whilst being mindful of safety. For a back to back comparison, I did the same stretch in my 330i and for some strange reason, I felt the 330i was quicker - the only 2 explanations for this could be that there were 4 full size adults in the M340i and only 2 of them in 330i. Further, I think the AC was switched on in the M340i. Reading all the reviews, I was expecting a real Explosive performance which is significantly superior to the 330i and I didn’t feel it. This was a brand new test drive car with only 270 KMs on the odo. Can anyone who has more knowledge and experience please explain why this may have been the case? For nearly 20 lakhs INR more for an M340i in comparison to a 330i (in Delhi / NCR), I was looking for a commensurate uptick in the performance. Appreciate your views / guidance.

BTW, I must say that I disliked the replacement of that beautiful looking gear shift lever to a tiny lever. BMW seems to have force-fitted this tiny lever into the same old layout which, in my opinion, has made it look bad.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2023 at 22:07. Reason: Rule #11
Laks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 22:21   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The 340i is indeed much quicker and I have extensively driven the B48 and now have been driving the B58 engine for the last 3 weeks on my M340i LCI. The numbers speak for themselves, the M340i is 1.3 seconds faster to 100 which is almost 23% faster and that is significant. On the other hand, the difference between an M340i and a full blown M3 is only 0.6 seconds, so you are talking full blown performance car territory on the M340i.

Besides the reasons you have already provided for why the 330i may have felt as fast (4 versus 2 passengers and whether the AC was switched on or not), the M340i drives all four wheels and therefore does not give you the same feeling of being pushed forward as the 330i, where 100% of the power goes to the rear wheels alone. While this helps to put down the power much better during hard acceleration and cornering, it does mask how fast the car is accelerating. Please read the comparison posted by fellow BHP-ian Reesnat recently comparing the M2 Competiton (RWD) with the M340i. He tested both cars extensively and the M340i is actually almost 8% faster than what BMW says on paper and is faster to the ton than even the M2C, reaching 0-100 in 4.1 seconds.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5489663 (Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th February 2023 at 22:32.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 16:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laks View Post
For a back to back comparison, I did the same stretch in my 330i and for some strange reason, I felt the 330i was quicker - the only 2 explanations for this could be that there were 4 full size adults in the M340i and only 2 of them in 330i. Further, I think the AC was switched on in the M340i. Reading all the reviews, I was expecting a real Explosive performance which is significantly superior to the 330i and I didn’t feel it. This was a brand new test drive car with only 270 KMs on the odo.
Number of people in the car and AC being on are secondary reasons. The primary reason is, at only 270 KMs the car has not completed its run-in period! I would say go for a TD once the car has been run-in…

Though not denying that the 330i SWB in itself is quite fast at 5.8s to the ton, which not long ago was performance-car territory!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st February 2023 at 16:42.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Reading all the reviews, I was expecting a real Explosive performance which is significantly superior to the 330i and I didn’t feel it. This was a brand new test drive car with only 270 KMs on the odo. Can anyone who has more knowledge and experience please explain why this may have been the case? For nearly 20 lakhs INR more for an M340i in comparison to a 330i (in Delhi / NCR), I was looking for a commensurate uptick in the performance.
Actually the reasons are very simple to understand.

1) Xdrive makes the M340i very heavy - 1735KG vs 1470KG. Add another 2 (Extra) passengers and you're looking at a difference of ~420KG between the 2 cars when you experienced them!

2) The B48 is torquier than the B58 - it produces 100NM/cylinder vs 83NM/cylinder in the B58. So the 500NM peak torque in the M340i when derated for the extra 420KG weight is only equal to about 390NM in the 330i with 2 fewer passengers. Without the extra passengers, it's equal to about 423NM - just 6% more than the 330i. Not enough to feel via the butt dyno.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-dyno.jpg

Looking at the graph above, if you derate the M340i torque curve by about 28% according to the extra weight (car + 2 extra passengers), it will start pulling ahead of the 330i only after 4500RPM. Until then you'd have not felt any difference between the two. And I doubt you were able to spend much time above 4500RPM on public roads for any appreciable amount of time to really feel the difference.
d3mon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 23:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
For a back to back comparison, I did the same stretch in my 330i and for some strange reason, I felt the 330i was quicker - the only 2 explanations for this could be that there were 4 full size adults in the M340i and only 2 of them in 330i. Further, I think the AC was switched on in the M340i. Reading all the reviews, I was expecting a real Explosive performance which is significantly superior to the 330i and I didn’t feel it.
So, like you, I owned a G20 320d and later upgraded to G20 330i MSports. On the other hand, My friend owned a G20 330i and upgraded to G20 M340i. He and I were chatting about the performance difference among the three G20 cars and some interesting points came out. I am going to keep it only between the 330i and M340i for this discussion:
1. He knows that M340i is significantly quicker but the xdrive masks much of that acceleration. so, perceptible difference is less than what a normal person would think.
2. He felt that 330i is more supple, most probably because it’s lighter.
3. According to him, A RWD M340i would have been the real deal.

I am yet to drive the M340i so, cannot comment but it certainly made me think. Cheers!

Last edited by Ashish0485 : 21st February 2023 at 23:15.
Ashish0485 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 18:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Actually the reasons are very simple to understand.

2) The B48 is torquier than the B58 - it produces 100NM/cylinder vs 83NM/cylinder in the B58. So the 500NM peak torque in the M340i when derated for the extra 420KG weight is only equal to about 390NM in the 330i with 2 fewer passengers. Without the extra passengers, it's equal to about 423NM - just 6% more than the 330i. Not enough to feel via the butt dyno.

Attachment 2421076

Looking at the graph above, if you derate the M340i torque curve by about 28% according to the extra weight (car + 2 extra passengers), it will start pulling ahead of the 330i only after 4500RPM. Until then you'd have not felt any difference between the two. And I doubt you were able to spend much time above 4500RPM on public roads for any appreciable amount of time to really feel the difference.
With due respect, I would suggest that this comparison may not be accurate as translating that power and NM to actual acceleration and speed between the 330i and 340i has many more variables in addition to Power/kg and NM/kg (engine tune, gearbox tune, M-Differential, Awd vs Rwd to name a few). And also 'NM/Cylinder' as an indicator of a 'torquier' engine would also not be accurate in the real world - that way the V8 of the M5C producing 750Nm would then also be less torquier than the 330i's 4 pot engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish0485 View Post
So, like you, I owned a G20 320d and later upgraded to G20 330i MSports. On the other hand, My friend owned a G20 330i and upgraded to G20 M340i. He and I were chatting about the performance difference among the three G20 cars and some interesting points came out. I am going to keep it only between the 330i and M340i for this discussion:
1. He knows that M340i is significantly quicker but the xdrive masks much of that acceleration. so, perceptible difference is less than what a normal person would think.

I am yet to drive the M340i so, cannot comment but it certainly made me think. Cheers!
Agree - I've driven the 330i and have a M340i and there is no way the 330i would be faster. Not sure of the specifics in this case, but may have 'felt' that way due to AWD, stiffer suspension and heavier steering in the M340i. Some folks also find the M340i feels 'heavier' due to a higher turning radius, AWD and a much thicker steering wheel (than the 330i) - that may also have contributed here.
Speedrider75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 22:48   #45
BHPian

Ever since we got the M340i, I've been making one excuse or the other to just take her out and drive.

From, "Oh? You want a chocolate, dear? Let's go and buy it in the M340i" to my daughter to "2 days WFH is for wimps, I'll work from office every day" just to drive this beast back and forth, it's been one excuse after the other.

However, none of these small drives could do any justice to the amazing car that the M340i is. And therefore, over the Holi weekend, we decided to do something super courageous.
We decided to go on a 2,000km Road Trip from Mumbai to Bangalore and back. By itself, it doesn't sound very courageous, does it? Well, we decided to go on this trip with our 4.5 year old daughter and our 4 month old daughter!
Of course I presented this to the wife as an opportunity to go and stay with her brother for a few days, and she agreed (not without seeing through the plan, though).

I've done this trip countless times on my Mumbai - Trivandrum road trips in the Octavia, but never with the kids (well, just once with my elder one who was 1.5 years then, during the 1st lockdown). Given we had a 4 month old, we decided to take it easy and take a halt in Hubli both directions.

The route was Mumbai - Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Belagavi - Hubli. Stay at The Ananth Grand near Hubli airport, my standard halt on this route. And then continue to Bangalore via Neelamangala - Tumkur route on the next day. The return trip 2 days later would be the reverse.

We started from Mumbai a bit late on Day 1, as we had a school function for our daughter.
Started at 3PM, filled up XP95 at the Mankhurd IOCL pump, caught all the Navi Mumbai traffic and finally entered the Pune Expressway around 4:15 PM.

It was smooth sailing till Pune, with the M340i easily covering the distance with constant triple digit speeds. We did get a bit of traffic at the ghat section, but much lesser than usual.
To throw the car around the twisties was real fun up until my wife reminded me that we had a baby in the back, who was now fighting G-Forces to get to her milk. I was quite impressed by the grip the car offered, as I could easily do turns at speeds which would've surely thrown any other car off the road.

Pune did see some bit of traffic on the bypass but as soon as we crossed, it was smooth sailing again. Well, smooth in terms of traffic, but not so much in terms of the road surface.
All the way till the MH border, the roads were undulating. Funnily, I had never noticed this in the Octavia, but on the BMW, it suddenly seemed that the roads were very uneven. In fact, the car would stick to the surface like a leech so much, that any expansion joint or raised portion on bridges would send us occupants flying inside. While my well bolstered front seat kept me hinged and in place, I think the back seat occupants bore the brunt a bit more than I did.

Some more of this undulating surface, and I soon found a constant nagging noise coming from the back seat. It sounded something like, "You spent so much money on such an uncomfortable car. The Octavia was so much better! How bad a ride quality this is!" The nagging sound did come down when we dropped speeds and did a bit more of sedate driving.

Post the MH border though, roads became significantly better and I could do better speeds without the occassional jumping jacks game inside. And by now, night had also befallen us, and traffic got significantly sparse.

This stretch from Belagavi to Hubli was the most enjoyable part of the drive, as we flew past trucks on smooth tarmac. The M340i was truly in its element with quick acceleration and effortless cruising at 3 digit speeds. Finally, around midnight, we reached our hotel in Hubli, for a well deserved rest. 570 km took us 8 hours - around 70 kmph avg speed.

We left Hubli early the next day to avoid traffic, and continued on from the previous night's fantastic drive. The remaining 422km came in quick time, and at much lesser stress, courtesy better roads, much lesser traffic and fresher people inside the car. We reached Yelahanka, at my BIL's house in time for lunch.

A couple of days later, it was time to head back, and we decided to leave around 3PM from Bangalore, and reach Hubli around 9. Luckily, Bangalore traffic didn't hit us, and we exited the city well in time. The ride back was pretty smooth till Hubli and we reached the hotel in just 5 hours.
On this stretch though, we ran into a wall of insects and the windscreen as well as front portion was completely ruined. I had to spend a good hour with Colin to get the icky gooey yucky stuff off the windscreen.

Around 6:15 AM on the next day, we left the hotel yet again, on to the final leg of the journey. This time though, it was much better, which leads me to think that the experience on the 1st day was more because of us being tired than the road being bad.
Stopped at a McDonalds in Kolhapur for breakfast, and again at the McD on the Pune Expressway for a quick snack around lunch time. Overall, we made good time, and reached Mumbai back around 2PM.

A few points from the drive:

1. It sure feels amazing to be the fastest car on the road. Throughout the journey, the M340i was effortless in overtaking or accelerating - even in EcoPro mode. After a 2,000 km drive, I can confidently say that not a single car overtook us - very juvenile, but feels good nevertheless.

2. The level of confidence this car gives is mind blowing. It's so sure footed and planted that you feel like it'll do exactly what you tell it to - and it does do that. Whether it be cornering or taking high speed turns or overtaking or braking, the car does it when you think of it!

3. We did the journey to Bangalore majorly in EcoPro. Ended up getting around 11.6 to 11.8 kmpl. The journey back was mostly in Comfort, except for the single lane stretch in Belagavi which we did in Sports Plus. We ended up getting 12.6 kmpl! Personally, I felt these numbers were super impressive for a ~400 HP, 6 Cyl.

4. While the 0-100 timing, the power figures etc are well known for the M340i, the brakes have to be the single most confidence-inspiring feature on this car. They effortlessly stop the car from high 3 digit speeds to standstill in no time.

5. Finally, the low GC caught up with me, as my BIL's apartment entrance has a hump designed by Satan's son. The dude probably designed it to keep wild elephants at bay, cos no matter how wide a crab move I tried, the underbody would scrape the floor.

6. A good heads up display is such an underrated feature. Not needing to glance down to see the speed, is just one of those things you never knew could be so liberating!

7. The 120kmph chime is JUST SO ANNOYING! A few coders I've contacted have said they don't yet know how to code this out in the LCI, but I've asked them to let me know the moment they figure. This HAS TO GO!

And here are some pics from the journey:

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_4616-convmin.jpeg
The wide open roads. Where this beauty was meant to be driven.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7970-convmin.jpeg
1st day done and we reached Hubli

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7968-convmin.jpeg
Courtesy the Mumbai traffic at the start, we ended up with 70kmph avg speed and 11.6kmpl avg consumption

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7981-convmin.jpeg
With great power comes greater fuel bills!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7989-convmin.jpeg
One of the first things I did once we reached BLR was to look for a good quality car wash.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7992-convmin.jpeg
And A1 Car Wash in Yelahanka did not disappoint! Wish Mumbai had such well equipped and trained car washes.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7999-convmin.jpeg
The mandatory Bangalore picture. Worth waking up at 6:30 and driving all the way to Vidhan Soudha

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_8032-convmin.jpeg
Apoorva Resorts in Davanagere used to be a halting spot on our Mumbai - Trivandrum drives. We stopped for snacks this time, but the options and the service was quite disappointing this time.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-376652aade5a4a06950beb016d401a10.jpg
At the McD in Kolhapur. I love how the M340i looks fast, even at standstill.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_8039-convmin.jpeg
Back home and Comfort mode actually gave a better fuel consumption. 12.6 kmpl with an average speed of 90 kmph - pretty impressive if you ask me.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_8042-convmin.jpeg
And of course you cannot end a road trip leaving the car dirty. So here's all the toys, spic and span!

Now, I'm looking forward to April end, when I'll be doing a Mumbai - Trivandrum road trip and then back by May end. The M340i has hit 3500km as of now, in about 30 days with me. And so far, I don't think I could find a better use for 80 lacs.
krishnadevjs is offline   (64) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks