Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 00:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
. The M340i has hit 3500km as of now, in about 30 days with me. And so far, I don't think I could find a better use for 80 lacs.
Great post. 3500 kms in a month is Uber driver category...LOL, Just kidding.

Glad to see this beast is being used like it's supposed to be.

I'm exactly in the same boat. Pleasure that I get when I drive this beast is incomparable to anything that I experienced in my ICE car owning history.

I too find excuses to drive mine even though I work 100% from home and travel quite a bit. Despite that I clocked 24,000 miles/39,000kms in 2 years as most compensation happens over the weekends.

I see many folks don't use their high performance vehicles to its full potential and use it as a weekend warrior clocking just too few miles.

Good going, keep the miles up and do keep sharing updates.

Cheers!

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th March 2023 at 00:52.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 07:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice List of observations :

1. Did you try setting up the settings to comfort mode (Steering, Suspension etc) to comfort and do try using that when driving in city streets. I know Mumbai roads aren't really great and comfort mode should help in a better ride.

How much was the PPF cost? Btw, I never took much care of the car except once in a while car washes but, the paint quality of BMW is awesome and still has same shine even after 2 years.
I've tried all 3 modes and then some customizations on the Individual mode. But even with all settings to comfort, the ride is pretty stiff on our roads.

Smoother tarmac on the highways are much better, but even then, you have the odd out of place section on top of flyovers etc which send you flying, inside.

The PPF cost me around 2.0 lacs for a 10 year warranted job. Thought it worth the cost to protect the original factory paint finish.

I've now switched off the BMW Assistant Voice command feature, and so can say "BMW" to my heart's content while inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
At least on my pre-LCI M340i the Auto Hold button needs to be pressed just once. Then when one wants to engage it in traffic, the brake pedal needs to be pressed a bit harder. To disengage, one needs to step on the A-pedal. There is no need to look down and click any button anywhere to re-engage. One can again press hard on brake pedal to engage Auto Hold.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Well, this is quite surprising. In my car, I have to press the auto hold button if I want that mode to be on. Hard press on the brakes doesn't engage auto hold.
The C300D I test drove, on the other hand, would go to auto hold upon a hard press of the brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I actually found the 340i to have a fairly decent suspension set up for tackling uneven surfaces, undulating roads - the stiffer suspension managing to flatten them out fairly well at speed.
Problem is with the speed breakers & potholes where one needs to be ultra careful.
The problem with the stiffer suspension is that it sticks to the road closely. So, on our highways when you suddenly have a level difference between two stretch of road, the car plants on to the new level immediately, sending you flying inside, cos of inertia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great post. 3500 kms in a month is Uber driver category...LOL, Just kidding.

Glad to see this beast is being used like it's supposed to be.
Thanks mate! Yes, 3500 is quite a lot for just a month! But, given I bought this car because it's a driver's car, I intend to fully utilize it on the road! Of course, the faster I run these tyres out and switch to Michelin PS4s, the lesser complaining I hope to hear about the ride quality.
krishnadevjs is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:52   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Of course, the faster I run these tyres out and switch to Michelin PS4s, the lesser complaining I hope to hear about the ride quality.
BMW has discontinued RFT’s on the 330Li and the 320d models. They now come with tubeless tyres as standard fitment from the factory.

The M340i will still continue to be factory fitted with RFT’s.
EV NXT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
BMW has discontinued RFT’s on the 330Li and the 320d models. They now come with tubeless tyres as standard fitment from the factory. The M340i will still continue to be factory fitted with RFT’s.
Interesting development! They have also done this with the new X1 as well- However, the spec sheet online has not been updated and still shows run flats on the 330Li and 320Ld - see below)

After years of sitting on a high horse about Run Flat Tires (Where the dealers would cry sacrilege if you ask them to change to tubeless), BMW have done an about face now.

Being heavier and thicker, the Run Flat tires can reduce fuel economy by about 2%. This is generally made up to some extent by the reduction in overall weight from not having to carry a spare tire. But in India, we want the cake and eat it too. Given our road conditions, we like to carry at least a donut sized spare, even if the car is using run flats.

Given how tight the CAFE targets are, and how seriously BMW is taking them (Please see link to my post on the massive engine and variant rejig they are doing to meet the CO2 targets -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nts-india.html (Understanding BMW's bizarre choice of engines & variants for India)), even a 2% FE improvement is being seen as something worth going for by BMW, even of it means eating humble pie on their much-vaunted run-flat philosophy.
Attached Thumbnails
My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-bmw.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th March 2023 at 12:55.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:59   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Interesting development! They have also done this with the new X1 as well.
Yes, the changes have been done on the 330 Li series and below. The 5, M340i and above still continue with RFT’s.

Quote:
Given how tight the CAFE targets are, and how seriously BMW is taking them.. even a 2% FE improvement is being seen as something worth going for by BMW.
I am given to understand that CAFE targets are part of the reason. Although BMW haven’t been able to answer my query as to why it hasn’t then been extended to the other models.
Old 10th March 2023, 16:50   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, this is quite surprising. In my car, I have to press the auto hold button if I want that mode to be on. Hard press on the brakes doesn't engage auto hold.
The C300D I test drove, on the other hand, would go to auto hold upon a hard press of the brake.
Have not driven a Mercedes in ages, but it is a fact that in the G20, Auto-hold button has to be activated (one-time click) if you want the function to take effect when the car slows to a complete stop.

I usually leave it on by default, but I know a lot of fellow owners who detest the grabby feeling and seldom use it.
Old 12th March 2023, 22:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have not driven a Mercedes in ages, but it is a fact that in the G20, Auto-hold button has to be activated (one-time click) if you want the function to take effect when the car slows to a complete stop.

I usually leave it on by default, but I know a lot of fellow owners who detest the grabby feeling and seldom use it.
The auto-hold is such a boon in my X3 as I always leave it on. You can just take your legs of the brake while at signals/idling in traffic. On the GLE though I need to long press the brake every time I need to engage the auto hold function which is a pain in stop/go traffic.
Old 13th March 2023, 00:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks mate! Yes, 3500 is quite a lot for just a month! But, given I bought this car because it's a driver's car, I intend to fully utilize it on the road! Of course, the faster I run these tyres out and switch to Michelin PS4s, the lesser complaining I hope to hear about the ride quality.
I'm a big fan of Michelins. You can bet on the ride quality improving for sure.

I'm still on my stock Pirelli RFT's at 24,500 miles with zero punctures.

Even though I am eager to change the tires (Shortlisted Conti and PS4 S) but, I know I can squeeze some more life out of it.

Hopefully, will change in summer and I know the experience will be like driving a completely different car with Tubeless Micheline PS4S which is one of the most popular tires for performance cars.
Old 14th March 2023, 20:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting development! They have also done this with the new X1 as well- However, the spec sheet online has not been updated and still shows run flats on the 330Li and 320Ld - see below)

After years of sitting on a high horse about Run Flat Tires (Where the dealers would cry sacrilege if you ask them to change to tubeless), BMW have done an about face now.

Being heavier and thicker, the Run Flat tires can reduce fuel economy by about 2%. This is generally made up to some extent by the reduction in overall weight from not having to carry a spare tire. But in India, we want the cake and eat it too. Given our road conditions, we like to carry at least a donut sized spare, even if the car is using run flats.

Given how tight the CAFE targets are, and how seriously BMW is taking them (Please see link to my post on the massive engine and variant rejig they are doing to meet the CO2 targets -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nts-india.html (Understanding BMW's bizarre choice of engines & variants for India)), even a 2% FE improvement is being seen as something worth going for by BMW, even of it means eating humble pie on their much-vaunted run-flat philosophy.
I recently got hold of the 330Li LCI. It will be delivered next week. My SA sent me the unloading video. This screenshot is from that video.

Can you let me know if these are RFTs or Tubeless tyres. Which one is better in terms of durability and robustness?

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-69436d71afc446d5bd06e2b6bc6fe522.png
Old 14th March 2023, 21:30   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Hard to tell from the photo as the resolution is not too good. My guess is these are the Run Flats, as BMW would first update the spec sheet generally before shipping product with the new spec.The spec sheet as of two days ago still showed the 330Li having Runflats.
Old 17th March 2023, 09:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
I recently got hold of the 330Li LCI.
Can you let me know if these are RFTs or Tubeless tyres.
The 330Li LCI in the Navnit Motors, BLR showroom came with Michelin tubeless tyres.

Quote:
My guess is these are the Run Flats, as BMW would first update the spec sheet generally before shipping product with the new spec. The spec sheet as of two days ago still showed the 330Li having Runflats.
Spec sheet may not be correctly updated. BMW India is notorious for inaccurate specs.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 10:25   #57

Quote:

High time they took those RFT tyres off Indian roads completely - they (maybe) good for European and US roads but IMHO, not for our roads, by any yardstick whatsover !
Old 29th March 2023, 18:14   #58
BHPian

Hi can someone throw some light on the financing options given by BMW for the 340i. Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 11:42   #59
BHPian

Hello ,
Thank you for the awesome writeup !
Do you have any cabin rattles or anything like that ?
Considering getting one but heard they tend to rattle a bit.
Also did they offer any discount ? The price i have been given is 81.4L OTR which apparently has a 2.2L discount.
Thanks again and hope to get one soon.
Old 7th April 2023, 09:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinjoseph View Post
Hi can someone throw some light on the financing options given by BMW for the 340i. Thanks
Yes, they have a 360 plan which considers the initial value of car and a WDV after 3/4/5 years. The difference is amortized into EMIs - I did the calculation and found the interest rate when I planned to be 11.8%. It's a good deal if you want low EMI outflow and plan to either refinance the car or return/sell it at the end of the period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Hello ,
Thank you for the awesome writeup !
Do you have any cabin rattles or anything like that ?
Considering getting one but heard they tend to rattle a bit.
Also did they offer any discount ? The price i have been given is 81.4L OTR which apparently has a 2.2L discount.
Thanks again and hope to get one soon.
TBH, there are some slight rattles I am hearing inside but these are extremely low and audible only if I do not switch on the music system and listen intently to rattles.

I've got a bit of OCD about these things so it's audible to me and I intend to rectify it soon. However, I'm not sure whether this is because of something loosely fitted or if it's because of stuff I've put in the glove box rattling. Haven't really got time to look into it.

Also, nothing is audible on smooth tarmac; it's just the crappy typical Mumbai road where I hear this.
krishnadevjs is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks