Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:25   #1
BHPian

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

The Heart’s Choice

One of my parents’ favourite stories about my childhood is how at just 4 years old, I would classify buses plying on the road as ‘L Bus’es and ‘T Bus’es.
It wasn’t until much later that they understood the rationale of the classification – L buses were the ones with the round headlights, the Ashok Leyland ones.
T buses were the ones with the rectangular headlights, the Tata ones.

That story pretty much describes me – an avid auto enthusiast, right from childhood.

I’ve bought 3 cars in my life, all at relatively younger stages of life but always with a certain compromise in favour of practicality.
In 2014, at the age of 26, I bought my first car – the Honda City. While the heart wanted that free revving iVTEC petrol engine, the mind and its rational fuel efficiency calculations led me to buy the just launched iDTEC diesel model – a decision I would rue for the next three years.

A year later, the newly acquired wife wanted an automatic hatchback.
While my first choice was a Polo GT TSi, again rational thoughts like fuel economy, service cost, reliability and resale value saw us moving down dramatically to get a Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 AMT.

Almost a thousand days later, in 2017 December, we got our replacement for the less-fun Honda City, the recently launched Skoda Octavia facelift L&K.
After the City experience, I was resolved to get the fun version – a petrol version. However, there was an option to get the more powerful vRS at just a few lacs more.
Again, the rational ‘where am I going to use this extra power’ thought pulled me back, and I ended up buying the 1.8L.
Don’t get me wrong – my Octy is an amazing car and I’m still as much in love with her as I was five years back – but there’s still that slight tinge of disappointment and ‘What if?’ whenever I see a vRS pass by.

In mid-2022, when I had started flirting with the idea of buying my fourth car, there was one criterion over everything else – this would be The Heart’s Choice.
However simple that criterion sounds, it was super difficult to adhere to – the primary reason being how competent a car the Octavia was, and how pristine it was, after 5 years and 50k km.

All my choices and decision swings are chronicled here thread, but long story short the choice was between the 330i and the C300D.

In fact, I had almost made up my mind on the C300D – luxurious, nice, updated interiors, decently powerful, practicality of a diesel and something my parents would also approve of.
However, it never felt like a worthy successor to my brilliant Octy – certainly not for 2.5X the OTR price.

In 2021, when the M340i launched, I had longingly told my wife, “This is the car I wanna buy next. I don’t think I can afford it now, but this is what I want.”
By then, I had converted her from a total noob to someone who could distinguish between a 330i and 330Li.
Which is why when I was on the verge of booking the C300D, she asked me, “Why are you not buying your dream car?”

I realised she was right – I was 34, just about to have my second child.
This would probably be the car that saw me into the 40s and beyond. The age – responsibilities – financials matrix was all aligned for the ultimate YOLO move – I could buy my dream car now or risk the possibility of never buying it.

And that, my friends, is the story of how I met my M340i.

The Process

The process of narrowing down on the M340i is mentioned in this thread, so I won’t repeat it again.

Once we decided to go with the M340i, I visited both dealers in Mumbai – Infinity and Navnit, enquiring about timelines for the LCI (if they had any info), pricing and discounts possible.
While both dealers were equally clueless on timelines and pricing, I found Navnit better in terms of willingness to engage and an earnest interest in closing the deal.
Infinity BMW felt like they were doing me a favour by allowing me to buy from them.
Or maybe they thought I wasn't serious.

Navnit had an option of a pre-LCI Tanzanite Blue M340i which had more attractive pricing and immediate availability – buying that car would mean I could actually drive down to Kerala for my daughter’s birth in the new car.
However, after checking global reviews of the LCI, I decided to wait for the LCI – the expected omissions were laser lights, additions were a hybrid system, curved screen, and overall better looks (this is subjective of course).

I was told to expect my car by mid Jan 2023. And so, on 15th October, I went ahead and finalized my booking of a Tanzanite Blue M340i LCI – the first booking in Mumbai for the LCI.

The next few months saw my YouTube suggestions list transform into an M340i LCI review playlist.
Was eagerly waiting for Dec 10 – the launch date to figure colour options, features and most importantly pricing.

On launch, the interior trim option was a bit disappointing (India would get only the same black trim and not the beautiful Tacora Red Sensatec that other markets had).

The exterior colour options were as expected (I anyway preferred Tanzanite Blue; the only change would’ve been if Frozen Tanzanite Blue were launched).

The pricing however was the cherry on top.
With manufacturers, especially in the luxury segment raising prices around 5% to 7%, I was expecting an ex-showroom price of around 72 lacs, but was pleasantly surprised to see it launched at 69.2 lacs.

Even before the afternoon launch, around 10 AM, Navnit BMW called me to activate my BMW ID, so they could order my car.
I found this very proactive from them and was highly pleased.

This is what my BMW ID at shop.bmw.in showed from then on.
I can’t tell you how many times I refreshed this from December 10 to Jan 12, hoping for some update. This status never changed though, even after delivery.

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 3504
Size:  175.7 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2023 at 18:30. Reason: As requested
krishnadevjs is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:54   #2
BHPian

re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Pre-Buying & Buying Experience

Around Jan 12, I finally get the much-awaited news – that my car is finally ready and will be shipped out to Mumbai from Chennai in 1-2 days.
Quickly finished the loan documentation, withdrew required funds from FDs and kept everything ready.

My parents were in Mumbai, visiting us till Jan 22 – so I requested the dealership if delivery could be arranged before.
It would mean the world to me to have them with us, as I realized one of my biggest dreams, even though they (primarily my dad) considered this a massive waste of money.

The timelines were quite crunched, as there was transit from Chennai, PDI by me, fund disbursement and registration to go.
However, the dealership said they’d try their best.

As luck would have it, on Jan 16, I was informed that the vehicle would reach Mumbai by Jan 18 early morning.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7222-conv.jpeg

Navnit BMW indulged me by sending over an X7, to take me to their stockyard from my home.

Around 12:30 PM, when we reached the stockyard in Bhiwandi, my car was yet to be unloaded from the truck.
A few minutes later, the trailer was opened up, and I got a first glimpse of my beauty – the M340i LCI in all its glory!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7227-conv.jpeg

Carefully unloading from the trailer

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7231-conv.jpeg

The first look from the front. Ain't she a stunner!

A quick wash from the stockyard folks and I was ready to do my PDI.

Armed with the Team-BHP PDI list, I went over the car meticulously noting down every single detail.
A bit of a bummer was that my car came shod with Pirelli RFTs instead of Michelin PS4 RFTs.

Apart from that, everything else was perfect.
The car was as fresh as it could get, with the VIN decoding to a Jan 2023 manufacturing.

Tyres were a bit dated, ranging from 32nd week of 2022 to the 33rd, but I guess that’s to be expected from imported tyres.
All satisfied with the PDI, I quickly did the down payment, insurance payment and asked the bank to disburse the balance amount, so that registration processes may be done for an early delivery.

From the SA, I got to know this is the first M340i LCI that has come to Mumbai, which, while insignificant, felt good.

I am very impressed with the lengths to which Navnit BMW have gone to accommodate my request of a PDI at their stockyard before payment.
As I understand from them, roughly 1 of 70 customers they have a month request for stockyard inspections!

I’m extremely happy with the way they facilitated this, and at no time were they pushy or asked me to make payment before inspection.
I’d definitely recommend Navnit Motors to anyone looking to buy a BMW in and around Mumbai.

There was a bit of a scare around the delivery timelines with the Vaahan site collapsing on 20th – the day I was supposed to get my registration done.
However, with the dealership going above and beyond the call of duty, I was finally able to get the car on 21st Jan itself.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7277-conv.jpeg
All veiled before the big unveil

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7285-conv.jpeg
Unveiled, finally!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7310-conv.jpeg
Proudly flaunting that M badge! The depth this colour has, is amazing!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7367-conv.jpeg
The LCI doesn't get laser lights, but it does get these cool looking blue accents around the LEDs. I love it.
krishnadevjs is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:13   #3
BHPian

What do I like about this car?

• The Engine:
    This car is all about that explosive B58 engine and its amazing tuning.
    My Octavia was fast, but the M340i literally pushes you back into your seat. Gaps close before you know them.
    Although the ride back from the showroom was the tensest I’ve ever had, nearer to home, on the Eastern Express Highway, I got a stretch of open road where the M340i showed its true colours instantly.
    Before I knew it, we were pushed back into our seats and the car rocketed to insane speeds.
    I will have to be careful with that accelerator pedal.

• That Glorious Exhaust Note:
    There are so many videos on YouTube which showcase the cold start sound of the M340i, and the pops and gurgles on acceleration.
    But none of them do justice to the actual exhaust note.
    The deep bass in that note brings every cell in you alive.
    Some of the sound inside the car cabin is electronic wizardry, through Iqonic sounds, but even outside the car does sound really menacing.
    The gurgles and pops add to the overall experience of the car.

• The Transmission:
    I thought I had met the ultimate transmission in my Octy’s 7 speed dry clutch gearbox. But nope – I was wrong.
    This, however, would probably be it – the butter smooth 8 speed transmission from ZF.
    Beyond all mechanical capabilities, I think they’ve given this transmission some psychic ability – it’s able to read my mind and shift accordingly every single time!

• The Curved Screen & iDrive 8:
    While there are several people who feel Touchscreens are less utility and prefer physical buttons, I like the much cleaner layout.
    The iDrive 8 interface too, is super intuitive.
    The physical iDrive controller with handwriting recognition is my favourite – it ensures I don’t have to keep wiping down the touchscreen and remove fingerprints.
    The 12.3” digital instrument cluster has several pre-set layouts, and each give the driver relevant information efficiently.
    With the option to choose layouts and content, the driver can choose what data he wants available on both the screen and the HUD.
    Having come from a non-BMW ownership background, I’m still taking time to understand how some of the features may be turned off/on, but the iDrive 8 system helps make the learning curve easier.

• Comfort Access:
    As technology progresses, it’s easy to become increasingly lazy.
    With the City, I had to press a button on the door to unlock with the Octavia I had to place my hand on the handle to unlock.
    With the BMW, as I approach the car, first the lights turn on welcoming me. Get a bit closer and the doors unlock.
    Similarly, walk away and the car locks itself.
    This can be done with any of 3 options – the key paired to my BMW ID, the digital key on my mobile phone (again linked to my BMW ID) or the smart card the car comes with.
    In all these cases, the car recognizes it’s me and logs in to my BMW ID, changing all settings to mine.

• Connected Tech:
    While this feature finds itself in cars half this price nowadays, I still think it’s pretty cool that you can lock/unlock your car, sound the horn, start the engine, pre-cool the cabin etc from your phone, know how much petrol and range is left in the car, locate the car and get drive statistics.
    There are very practical applications as well – searching for the car in a mall parking lot or ensuring it’s comfortable after parking under the hot sun are much easier now.

• The Seats:
    Yes, I wanted that rad Tacora Red Sensatec leather, but the Black Alcantara – Sensatec combination may actually be better functionally for Indian conditions.
    It’s cooler than leather or Sensatec and it does work better in keeping you rooted to one place as you throw the M340i into corners.
    Apart from the fabric, these seats are well bolstered and have a very balanced level of firmness.
    I particularly like the manual extension that comes from the base of the front seats for additional lumbar support on long drives.

• The Build:
    Everything in this car looks well built, and well put together.
    Very consistent panel gaps, very high-quality materials, soft touch surfaces – everything looks and feels premium.
    And while the cabin doesn’t have “64 freaking colours” of ambient lighting, as an auto blogger likes to shout in every review, I feel it has a good match of creature comforts, premium materials and build quality.
    This is a car that’s built for the ages, and I think it’ll age well.

• Auto Start Stop:
    Okay, so almost every single review I’ve read has dissed the Auto Start Stop functionality, but I like the thought that the vehicle is intelligent enough to not waste fuel when stopped.
    I like the functionality of the engine starting up automatically when it’s time to go, without me having to stop and start it.
    The fact that this car has a mild hybrid system makes start-stops seamless and almost imperceptible.
    In fact, none of my family members realised the engine was doing this.

• Auto Hold:
    While this is a feature which must be switched on separately each time you start the car, it’s very convenient in traffic.
    Upon coming to a halt, irrespective of the drive mode, you can lift your foot off the brake and the car holds its position.
    It’ll release the brake automatically, as you step on the accelerator.

What do I think could have been better?
  • The Interior Colour Scheme:
    The all black interior, while very sporty, does lack a bit of flair.
    I wish we had more vibrant colour schemes (Tacora Red’s my preference) in India.
    The cabin does feel a bit dark, and at least a larger sunroof could’ve let more light enter the cabin, making it feel a bit airier.
    Additionally, it’s super tough to keep the cabin clean – every single speck of dust stands out.

• Ride Quality:
    As my wife said, “You spent 2.5X of what you spent on the Octavia and bought a car that’s less comfortable? What’s wrong with you?
    Every single expansion joint, every single undulation is felt very well in the cabin, thanks to the stiff suspension set up and the low profile 19” tyres.
    Recommended cold tyre pressure is 39 PSI, but I’m planning to try 36 PSI and hope that’ll make the ride a bit smoother.
    I’m also terribly worried about damaging the RFTs or the rims, given how uneven and unpredictable Mumbai roads are.

• Omissions from the pre-LCI version:
    While the biggest omission from the pre-LCI version is the Laser lights, I honestly don’t miss it – maybe cos I’ve never experienced it.
    Adaptive LEDs on this car are good enough.
    However, what I do not like are that the Michelin PS4 RFTs have been replaced with Pirelli P-Zero’s at least on my car.
    Further, the XDrive badging and the M colours on the seatbelt have been removed.
    These subtle visual cues separated the M340i from the regular 3 series, and I wish they were carried forward to the LCI M340i.
    Of course, with the regular 3 series being discontinued, I guess visual uniqueness shouldn't be a concern any more.

• The Annoying Speed Chime:
    I cannot emphasize how stupid this rule of continuous chimes post 120 kmph is, and how annoying BMW’s implementation of that rule is!
    We’re talking about building highways where the speed limit is 140kmph, and we’ve got a rule that irritates the shit out of drivers post 120!?
    In a car that gets to 120 kmph in <5 secs, this is quite annoying.
    Seriously considering coding this out soon.
    I’m quite comfortable with the 80kmph chime though and prefer having it because it’s very easy to forget how fast you’re going in this car.

• Boot Space:
    Globally, the M340i doesn’t come with a spare tyre and therefore the boot space is quite generous.
    India gets a donut tyre, which is packaged quite well.
    However, all that packaging does eat into the depth of the boot, limiting practicality.
    This one may not be suitable for airport runs.
    With a 2-month-old in the house, it would be difficult to have luggage and her pram in the boot, on road trips.

• Gloss Black on exterior trims:
    There’s a special place in hell reserved for car designers who put gloss black on exterior trims.
    They’re so difficult to maintain and over time, will scratch up and spoil the overall looks of the car.
    The M340i LCI comes with so many gloss elements!
    My OCD is bound to drive me crazy, cleaning this one.

Small but significant (and some insignificant) things

• The car comes with floating hub caps. So, the BMW logo on hub caps remain straight no matter what the tyre position is.
    Quite cool.

• There’s an image of the M340i in the iDrive screen, matched to the shade of the car.
    It mimics whatever actions are done in the car – indicators, lights, tyre angles, break lights and even motion!

• The manual asks owners to be light footed during the break-in period.
    Recommended max speed – 160 kmph! :O

• For owners who wash the car themselves, the M340i LCI really helps you out.
    With straight and angled surfaces (and less curves), it’s easy to wipe down.
    Even the front grille has wide openings and may be easily cleaned.

• The windscreen washer outlet is integrated into the wipers.
    What results is that water sprays only on the area that the wiper covers and there’s no overspray on the windscreen.

• There seems to be an Auto high beam function which monitors oncoming traffic and automatically switches high beam on and off.
    Haven’t seen this in action yet – just read of it in the manual, and found the switch in the light stalk.
krishnadevjs is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:09   #4
BHPian

Some more pictures of the car, and some observations

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7380-conv.jpeg
The M340i is just 39mm longer than the Octavia, although it feels like a much bigger car.
Must be owing to the 160mm increase in wheelbase.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7385-conv.jpeg
One of the layouts of the instrument cluster. These are very customizable, and there's a plethora of information that can be displayed.
I like how it's uncluttered and relevant information is clearly presented.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7424-conv.jpeg
I'm in love with this screen. There's so much information available, and it can all be customized.
The Carplay view with Google Maps displayed is super large and clear.
Well done, BMW on this screen!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7386-conv.jpeg
The Heads up Display too may be chosen from 4 options.
It gives speed, navigation directions, info about songs/radio and whether Hey BMW is listening

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7389-conv.jpeg
How the car switches on and goes back off, is with quite a bit of drama.
This is the M start up screen.
Very good transitions and animations.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7391-conv.jpeg
The only thing that can get me up on a Sunday morning - the need to wash my car!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7405-conv.jpeg
All washed and clean. Again, this is my favorite angle of the car.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7411-conv.jpeg
The new headlamp with the inverted DRLs is very attractive IMO.
The gloss black elements are hard to maintain, but look very cool right now.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7417-conv.jpeg
Connected Car tech brings with it a dedicated SOS button to call BMW Roadside assistance.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7419-conv.jpeg
Both driver and passenger, get a vanity mirror with illumination. Quite standard at this price point.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7420-conv.jpeg
The light control switch. Very unfamiliar for someone like me, who's come from VAG.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7421-conv.jpeg
The RHS stalk has wiper controls. Shift to auto mode and you probably never touch it again.
Pulling it towards the driver activates the windscreen washer.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7422-conv.jpeg
The LHS stalk has the light and indicator controls.
The bottom button is for Auto High Beam.
Need to figure our what BC does - hopefully it doesn't project the expansion of that abbreviation

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7425-conv.jpeg
Neatly hidden behind a panel is the wireless charger, dual cup holders, USB charging port and 12V outlet.
When using the mobile phone as key, it needs to be placed on the charger pad to start the car.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7426-conv.jpeg
Decent storage space with a USB charging slot inside the driver's LHS cushion.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7427-conv.jpeg
Prominent floor hump makes this a car for 4 people alone.
Those all weather mats were a complimentary gift from Navnit BMW.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7428-conv.jpeg
Reading lights at the rear. Can be switched on individually or together or programmed to light up when the doors open.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7429-conv.jpeg
The Harman Kardon speaker system is pretty good. It has deep bass and good voice clarity.
While I'm not an audiophile, I found this comparable to my Octavia's Canton setup.
Note the Ambient lights. These lights flash red when the door is open to warn other road users. Neat trick!

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7432-conv.jpeg
Not the place you want to be in an M340i, but decent nevertheless.
The seatbelts don't come with the M colours anymore, though.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7433-conv.jpeg
This, though, is the seat of choice! Very well bolstered and good lumbar support for those long drives. Just wish it came with ventilation function as well.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7434-conv.jpeg
Closer look at all 3 elements of the seat - black Sensatec, black Alcantara and blue contrast stitching.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7435-conv.jpeg
The window functions - all windows get one touch up and down.
The left ORVM automatically tilts to show the curb while reversing.
Down below is the boot release button - a welcome gift for an Octavia user who has had to unlock the car and open the door to unlock the boot.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7437-conv.jpeg
The active kidney grilles are normally closed to ensure aerodynamic efficiency...

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7436-conv.jpeg
...but they open up when the engine needs more air to cool down.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7441-conv.jpeg
Min 91 octane implies Speed is the minimum quality of fuel to be used.
For optimum performance, XP95 needs to be used. The M340i is not pocket friendly.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7442-conv.jpeg
The gear selector gets replaced in the LCI with a selector.
Not sure if I like this or I hate this.
While the buttons are well spaced and laid out, I will need to get used to it though, to use without glancing down.
The way to shift to park is quite different from what I'm used to.

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7444-conv.jpeg
The 792M alloy design looks really cool IMO. The blue calipers too add a sporty quotient.
The hub caps remain upright while running.

Overall, I feel this is an amazing machine, and a true masterpiece of engineering.
In terms of practicality, I feel my Octavia would beat it hands down. I'd prefer using the Octavia, with its plusher ride, larger boot and decent power within the city.

But for all its impracticality, the moment you step into it and turn on that glorious B58 motor, it’s all worth it.
The M340i truly is the ultimate driving machine - it's more car than you'll ever need. It's the ultimate YOLO choice for me.

A car like this is not meant to be used in the city – and so, we’re planning a road trip on the Republic Day weekend.
Will report back with more observations post the trip.

A parting shot... the letter that makes all the difference:

My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review-img_7399-conv.jpeg
krishnadevjs is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 16:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on such a fantastic acquisition!! Way to go!! Feels even more special given how tried to be reasonable in the past. This ad got stuck in my head since the first time I had seen it, and I told myself “man!! I don’t want to be like this!!”

Looks like the LCI really transformed the look of the dash. BMW always made super slick iDrive interface and this is clearly next level.
androdev is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks androdev. That ad is spot on!

The interiors look really fab with the LCI - much cleaner and very modern. The resolution of both screens are very good. And it’s very readable at eye level, one doesn’t have to look down as in the C Class.
krishnadevjs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 00:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on this beautiful acquisition from a fellow B58 owner.

What is even more praise worthy and spectacular is that you have been prudent in your previous purchases and then "boom" you spring yourself a massive gift like the M340i. Especially, at the age you are in now. Kudos!!

If you can, please share a video of a cold-start of exhaust note in Sports + mode.

Would love to know if LCI engine note remains the same as previous year models, as I assume your version of B58 is the B58TU where they added DPF filters to reduce the exhaust note which is a sad thing.

Till date the best sounding B58 is the original when this engine was launched first in 2018 and I heard that year model (in-person) and they sound insanely loud.

Mine is 2021 (Second iteration with a decent power bump) and isn't too bad even though it's milder than 2018 but, future models kept becoming less louder as years progressed as BMW added this ridiculous PF's and reduced that glorious B58 sound.

Cheers again and Look forward to your ownership experience. Enjoy and Drive Safe. !!
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 01:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
I’ve bought 3 cars in my life, all at relatively younger stages of life but always with a certain compromise in favour of practicality.

In 2021, when the M340i launched, I had longingly told my wife, “This is the car I wanna buy next. I don’t think I can afford it now, but this is what I want.”

I realised she was right – I was 34, just about to have my second child.
This would probably be the car that saw me into the 40s and beyond. The age – responsibilities – financials matrix was all aligned for the ultimate YOLO move – I could buy my dream car now or risk the possibility of never buying it.

And that, my friends, is the story of how I met my M340i.
You've shown amazing restraint for an enthusiast and I loved the way you described your decision making process by including your wife in the journey.

Great choice of car and I wish you many happy miles with it.

The M340i is a brilliant car that is kind of dummy proof with the Xdrive so one can actually use the power responsibly.

When I first test drove the car I wasn't sure where it will land in the Indian car scene. If it will succeed or will be in no man's land. I guess it is a success with respect to the Indian luxury car market. The car seems to tick the right boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
  • Ride Quality:
    As my wife said, “You spent 2.5X of what you spent on the Octavia and bought a car that’s less comfortable? What’s wrong with you?
    Every single expansion joint, every single undulation is felt very well in the cabin, thanks to the stiff suspension set up and the low profile 19” tyres.
    Recommended cold tyre pressure is 39 PSI, but I’m planning to try 36 PSI and hope that’ll make the ride a bit smoother.
    I’m also terribly worried about damaging the RFTs or the rims, given how uneven and unpredictable Mumbai roads are.

Do try the lower PSI but I feel that over time you'll just have to get used to it. It'll be even more obvious if you keep switching between the Octavia and the BMW.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the ultimate luxe driving machine!

Buying a 70-something lakh car at 35-something age: a truly YOLO moment in time, you are carrying the responsibility of driving for others who possibly cannot buy such a fab machine at this age

BTW, I couldn't help but notice that BMW is recommending Shell specifically? Never heard of any OEM pointing to a manufacturer, or maybe I am not aware of the recent trends.
As you might know, Shell doesn't have 95 octane petrol in India. So you guess you will have to stick to IOCL's XP95 for now.
JoshMachine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:24   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review

Great review, loved your writing style & how the story built up. Congratulations on buying one of the most iconic performance sedans to be sold in the country. Glad you got this instead of the 330i. I have never met anyone who regretted going for the better / more powerful variant, be it because of cost, lower FE etc. But I have met many people who have regretted going for the S-Cross 1.3 instead of 1.6, 520d instead of 530d, Alto 0.8L instead of 1.0L, Innova 2.4 instead of 2.8L...

Wishing you a minimum of 10-years of driving pleasure with your M340i. Do keep updating this thread so we can enjoy the car vicariously through your words.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:12   #11

Congratulations from a former b58 owner, one of the best engines out there on sale today. Wish you many happy miles and looking forward to seeing this car at some drives in Mumbai.
9403040021c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:48   #12
BHPian

Excellent choice of car and an even better review of it! Loved reading your thought process during the entire thing.

With how reliable modern BMWs are, I can see you using it well into your 40s. Wishing you thousands and thousands of happy, and safe, motoring!
lordtottuu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:56   #13
BHPian

Congratulations Kirshnadev. A beautiful review for an equally amazing car. From all the fellow enthusiasts out here, "Welcome to the club!!". Here's to falling in love with driving all over again, everyday.

And to add to Kiku007's comment, you sure will get used to the stiff ride quality, the super responsive motor will make you forget all about it. As for the rest of the passengers in the car, it might take a while longer.

Keep revving, but remember, drive safe. It is quite easy to get carried away on open roads.
Couper72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:17   #14
BHPian

Wonderful review. Have always been a fan of BMW M cars, my acquaintance with my cousin's 2018 320D has made this even stronger. The way BMW's drive is something different.

Your car looks fabulous and the huge 19" wheels go well with the overall design and stance.
kaushiksudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Bimmer!

BC is Board Computer. Its one of those stubborn "We've used this ever since we've had a computer in our cars and we'll continue to use this terminology even if our car is a computer with wheels." things that the Germans do. Pressing it changes your dash's information display between trips, G meter, media, and so on.
ImmortalZ is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed