Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 18:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Tata Safari Storme Review | From a Maruti Suzuki Baleno to a Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunedwin View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Guess the towering height and imposing front looks are the distinguishing factors.Hope and wish your car stays good for long and service remain good.Wish you many more miles on your prized possession.
Thanks Arun

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Congratulations Puneet; beautiful truck you got there, and welcome to this rare club!

It is refreshing to see people considering this car for their personal use, in this age where cars come loaded with much more bells and whistles than what a Storme has to offer. But whatever it does offer, it does a very good job of it, so you have made a good choice.

Please take good time to unlearn your Baleno and learn the Storme; avoid comparison as they are just too different.
Since you're in Mumbai, find a good FNG who can handle this beast as the TASS are just not good enough these days. Maintaining one is not that big a deal either as it already has rugged underpinnings. Just regular/timely service is enough, to keep it running like a dream for years.

Wishing you a million happy and safe miles!
Thanks a lot Avinash, it genuinely feels awesome to be the owner of the real Safari. I was never a fan of too many bells and whistles so this truck genuinely suits my requirements a lot, except for the Airbags missing, I am totally fine with everything else.

Finding the FNG is something that is going to be a challenge and that is what I am trying to crack as of now.
And you are right about the comparisons, it should not be done.

Btw just a couple of things I need some help on if you guide me in the right direction.
  • The rear windshield washer spray pipe looks like a lame pipe without any cap. Looking at a few other Safaris, I think that is how it is. But in my case, it throws the water at the people behind instead of the window. Are these pipes regularly available or can they be bent to point to the glass.
  • The biggest annoying thing I have with the vehicle is the rattling. There is rattling coming from the rear section and I am still trying to figure out what the problem is. Can it be that the back door needs tigheting or adjustments? I feel it does not fit in perfectly while closing.
  • The AC recirculation button has failed leaving the fresh air intake open. A local guy managed to close it shut as much as possible but it isnt fully closed pulling in lot of foul smell from surroundings and also affecting the cooling a bit, any idea if that can be a DIY or I should visit the TASS.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Tata Safari Storme Review | From a Maruti Suzuki Baleno to a Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
[*]The rear windshield washer spray pipe looks like a lame pipe without any cap.
[*]The AC recirculation button has failed leaving the fresh air intake open.
1. Is the spray pipe or the nozzle ? Nozzles are often adjustable for direction of spray. Use a thin needle, insert the pointed end into the nozzle a bit, and set the direction of the hole to desired direction.

AC's are designed to take in a small percentage of fresh air even when set in re-circulation mode.
Old 2nd March 2023, 22:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1. Is the spray pipe or the nozzle ? Nozzles are often adjustable for direction of spray. Use a thin needle, insert the pointed end into the nozzle a bit, and set the direction of the hole to desired direction.

AC's are designed to take in a small percentage of fresh air even when set in re-circulation mode.
It is the spray pipe, attaching pic for reference.
Used Tata Safari Storme Review | From a Maruti Suzuki Baleno to a Tata Safari Storme-20230302_215233.jpg
Now I tried to bend it but it did not. I checked a few storme images online and saw a similar pipe there so I guess this is how it is. Any idea if this is how it's on your truck as well?

Also regarding the AC, I understand that it is never completely sealed even in recirculation mode but the gate is not closed even as much as it should in recirculation mode is my belief. The technician who closed it did not close it completely and so I might have to get it checked again.
Old 2nd March 2023, 23:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
  • The rear windshield washer spray pipe looks like a lame pipe without any cap. Looking at a few other Safaris, I think that is how it is. But in my case, it throws the water at the people behind instead of the window. Are these pipes regularly available or can they be bent to point to the glass.
  • The biggest annoying thing I have with the vehicle is the rattling. There is rattling coming from the rear section and I am still trying to figure out what the problem is. Can it be that the back door needs tigheting or adjustments? I feel it does not fit in perfectly while closing.
  • The AC recirculation button has failed leaving the fresh air intake open. A local guy managed to close it shut as much as possible but it isnt fully closed pulling in lot of foul smell from surroundings and also affecting the cooling a bit, any idea if that can be a DIY or I should visit the TASS.
Never faced an issue with the rear washer but have been having blockage issues on the front (right). As @condor said, I tried the needle way, but overcompensated. So now one of my washers throws water all the way to the back, instead of the windscreen . I'd just say don't fight it too much, have TASS handle it.

If this rattling is more pronounced going over rumblers and is particularly 'banging', it could be the jump seats on the rear. I have the same issue but have not been able to replicate it during service; planning to do a DIY to try and fix it.

For the AC recirculation, would suggest to visit TASS. I know that the gate control mechanism can be accessed from the driver side, behind the center console lower panel (on floor). I'd an issue with the temp. control mechanism, which has a similar setup. Mine started blowing hot air continuously, one early Dec morning few years back, when I was on my way to Bhilai, when I fiddled with the temp knob. Luckily, was just on the outskirts of Hyderabad when it happened, so took it to the nearest TASS (Pranavi motors) as I'd about 750 kms to cover. The technician found the issue in 10 mins and asked me if he could bypass it (disable temp control) as temp fix. A permanent fix would be to replace the faulty part and they obviously didn't have it in stock. I was in and out of there in 45 mins! To this day I thank those TASS guys and my lucky stars as I was travelling with family and luggage loaded to the gills. It only got warmer during the day but the AC worked just fine (albeit on max cool mode only).

CHEERS!!
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 08:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
It is the spray pipe, attaching pic for reference.
Now I tried to bend it but it did not. I checked a few storme images online and saw a similar pipe there so I guess this is how it is. Any idea if this is how it's on your truck as well?
I think you're missing the end piece @puneet. Attaching mine for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Used Tata Safari Storme Review | From a Maruti Suzuki Baleno to a Tata Safari Storme-img20230303075900.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 00:58   #21
BHPian

1st PMS of the truck under me

So ever since I bought the truck, I wanted to get all fluids changed so that for me all counters begin from now.
Woke up yesterday (on a Sunday morning) and called up Keshva Automobiles Nahur West in Mumbai to check if they could accommodate me which they did.
Now after going to a Nexa for 7 years, visiting a TASS is like going 20 years back in time. One large shed where cars are being repaired with a small air-conditioned section where customer lounge, SA desk and cashier all are stuffed together.
The SA checked on me promptly and I told him what all I wanted to get done, I had asked for the following
  • engine oil + oil filter. I was very specific that I want CI4+ oil which is put in BS4 vehicles and not CH4 which is going in BS6 ones. I was very specific that I am ok not getting the oil changed but not ok getting wrong oil in. They were pretty cool about it and accepted it.
  • Coolant.
  • Brake oil
  • Gear Oil
  • Differential Oil
  • Power steering oil
  • Rattling back door
  • silencer or some loose part under the body
  • AC has a very distinct and loud hissing sound quite frequently when in action. From experience I know that it points to less AC gas in the system, and that points to a leak somewhere.
  • Brakes touch the disc while taking off which results in screeching sound from brakes.
  • Elemental cartridge of sedimenter changed. The SA said that is called diesel filter cartridge and he would change that.
SA said that he would check if differential oil change is needed or not and change accordingly. Regarding AC the mechanic was not available on a Sunday hence that couldn't be done.
The user manual also said that the TVD (torque vibration damper) needs to be changed every 5 years and when I raised this with the SA, he was clueless as to what that is.

To cut the long story short, I was handed over a bill of 10k for spares, 3k labour + GST bringing my total to 15300/- for the service. I am ok with it given that this isn't something that would happen very frequently.

The infamous TASS quality
I got a taste of why TASS service is so poorly rated. Before leaving they gave my truck a wash and ever since that, whenever I am locking my car using the remote lock, after sometime the security alarm is going off for no reason. Since coming back, it has gone off 4-5 times and I have no option but to lock the car via the key. I have raised this point to the SA via WhatsApp and have asked him to fix it tomorrow if the problem still persists, let's see what happens.

Verdict
Overall I rate the TASS as 5/10. Just like every other service station they just do the work you tell them without doing anything extra at all. Would have an excuse ready for anything which you say and they missed. They also do not keep any parts of the storme and even a power window switch needs to be ordered. The only good thing is that all parts are available on order.

P.S.
I think a lot of mismanagement of TASS also due to Tata. If we just look, the sheer number of different platforms that Tata cars are built on is crazy. There is the Indica platform on which the Bolt and Zest are built, then the Aria platform on which the storm and hexa are built. Then the Nexon platform and then the Harrier Safari platform. It is sheer confusion for the service center guys and very few have mastery over all the platforms. And because of this almost no customer has a very satisfactory experience with them.
puneetakhouri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
1st PMS of the truck under me

The user manual also said that the TVD (torque vibration damper) needs to be changed every 5 years and when I raised this with the SA, he was clueless as to what that is.
Please get the TVD checked and replaced if found wearing out. I was stranded with family once due to TVD getting damaged primarily because TASS ignored checking the TVD during service.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4554015 (The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread)

Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 17:17   #23

Congratulations Puneet for owning a machine that is a dream for many! It's in very good shape and finish.
Safari Storm is a dream car for me too and I'm looking to buy one, a 2018 VX model, 65k km on odo. Quoted 900k, do you think is it a fair price? It needs tire replacement and a few other things to be taken care of immediately.
Old 7th March 2023, 12:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
If this rattling is more pronounced going over rumblers and is particularly 'banging', it could be the jump seats on the rear. I have the same issue but have not been able to replicate it during service; planning to do a DIY to try and fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Please get the TVD checked and replaced if found wearing out. I was stranded with family once due to TVD getting damaged primarily because TASS ignored checking the TVD during service.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4554015 (The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread)

Thanks
Thanks a lot guys, I have tagged all three of you for some help required.
So what I have observed is that the steering has a considerable amount of play in the centre position. So much so that the car changes the line slightly during bad roads and the steering still remains straight due to the play in it. Is this normal or is it something wrong here. The reason I ask is that the moment you see patched roads where everybody is slowing down, the storme can just go straight without passengers feeling a thing, but the car keeps changing its line slightly, and because of the play none of that comes onto the steering.

Also post the service the rattle from the rear has lessened, apparently the rear door had some play which they adjusted.
Old 7th March 2023, 19:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, I have tagged all three of you for some help required.
So what I have observed is that the steering has a considerable amount of play in the centre position. So much so that the car changes the line slightly during bad roads and the steering still remains straight due to the play in it. Is this normal or is it something wrong here. The reason I ask is that the moment you see patched roads where everybody is slowing down, the storme can just go straight without passengers feeling a thing, but the car keeps changing its line slightly, and because of the play none of that comes onto the steering.

Also post the service the rattle from the rear has lessened, apparently the rear door had some play which they adjusted.
While safari experts can opine, my take would be that it's normal. I've had fare share of driving over non-existent, badly broken roads at speed and have noticed similar behavior. Not entirely ruling out some play existing in the rack; it is afterall a BOF and weighs 2.5+ tons. If you notice this on plane roads too, then it may need attn.
In fact, couple of months back when I did wheel alignment/balancing, the technician confirmed the play existed, but was not alarming. However, in correcting the castor angle, the steering wheel now has to be tilted about 5 degrees left to make it go straight.

The rear door is another weak point and needs regular adjustments, good that they caught and fixed it. I figured the cause in mine was indeed the empty jump seats; since folding them back up, the rattle hasn't recurred.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 01:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rohan View Post
Congratulations Puneet for owning a machine that is a dream for many! It's in very good shape and finish.
Safari Storm is a dream car for me too and I'm looking to buy one, a 2018 VX model, 65k km on odo. Quoted 900k, do you think is it a fair price? It needs tire replacement and a few other things to be taken care of immediately.
Thanks Rohan, apologies for the delayed response. I think 900k is on the higher side given that you have to put in 50k immediately for tyre change. I would suggest getting the truck checked in TASS for any accidental history. 8-8.5 should be a fair price imo given that you shouldn't have to spend anything more on the machine
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 22:56   #27
BHPian

I would like to share my experience which seems to be a bit opposite to what you mentioned Puneet. When going over the bad roads at speed, if you keep your hand light on the steering wheel it will go left right left but the car apart from the vertical movement maintains its straight line.

@avinash_m - exactly the same thing happened with me..last year the alignment guys said your castor nuts need to be changed as the threading has come off. Got them changed and a month back while getting the front tyres replaced the alignment guys were able to align it properly but the steering is at almost a 10 deg angle when the car is in a straight line. The alignment guy immediately asked if I had an accident or if for something got the steering out but none of that happened. Finally he mentioned to get it checked at TASS only since it's an airbag steering wheel and they won't touch it.

Cheers,
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 07:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what I have observed is that the steering has a considerable amount of play in the centre position. So much so that the car changes the line slightly during bad roads and the steering still remains straight due to the play in it. Is this normal or is it something wrong here. The reason I ask is that the moment you see patched roads where everybody is slowing down, the storme can just go straight without passengers feeling a thing, but the car keeps changing its line slightly, and because of the play none of that comes onto the steering.d.
Puneet, check this point by @zadoom. On bad surfaces, dont hold the steering tight. Let the steering wheel move that small amounts in either direction while the steering system does it's job. The vehicle (not just Storme) will not go away from the general direction - your grip should be light at that time, but ready to make small corrections IN case required. By not holding it tight, your effort is lesser, and there is slightly lesser stress on the tyres since the vehicle will take path of less resistance. ( a bit difficult to explain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
I would like to share my experience which seems to be a bit opposite to what you mentioned Puneet. When going over the bad roads at speed, if you keep your hand light on the steering wheel it will go left right left but the car apart from the vertical movement maintains its straight line.,

Btw, your description of play is not clear.

Last edited by condor : 14th March 2023 at 07:35.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Puneet, check this point by @zadoom. On bad surfaces, dont hold the steering tight. Let the steering wheel move that small amounts in either direction while the steering system does it's job. The vehicle (not just Storme) will not go away from the general direction - your grip should be light at that time, but ready to make small corrections IN case required. By not holding it tight, your effort is lesser, and there is slightly lesser stress on the tyres since the vehicle will take path of less resistance. ( a bit difficult to explain)

Btw, your description of play is not clear.
Thanks @condor, sharing the video of the play in the steering. Actually I am holding the steering light only but because of the play, the slight movements are not coming to the steering wheel only. My steering lies motionless in my hand, till I notice the car drift a bit on either side and then do the necessary correction. Attaching the video of the play in the centre position. Should I get the steering ball joints and the assembly joints checked?
Old 14th March 2023, 10:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @condor, sharing the video of the play in the steering.
This needs a check at the service station. What @zadoom and I had mentioned is only for very rough roads). For this kind of play, the points you added about rough roads kind of led to some confusion for me.

Last edited by condor : 14th March 2023 at 11:11.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks