Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Safari Test Drive on horrible roads

When the cherry red Safari 4x2 EX came with a big Demo Car written on the side, it felt good. At least I was not going to torture somebody's new car. I was determined to really test the offroad part of Safari.

It was raining cats and dogs. First we drove from office to home to pick up my wife. As we were checking the interiors and getting ready to drive out, my F-I-L pulled in in his Fiesta. So, I invited him to join the ride, he didn't know what he was getting into when he agreed.

I got out of the house compound and almost immediately swung out of the road and got into a muddy ground between my home and office. Took a quick U-turn on the uneven ground and went back towards the house. I wanted to see whether I can do my usual quick S curve maneuver towards the car garage. No being familiar with the huge monster, I couldn't complete the turn, didn't want to wreck it. However, the sales guy was very confident that the tight S curve in question could be done. By this time my F-I-L was quite shaken and wanted to be dropped. Instead we asked him to buckle up and enjoy the ride.

The next destination was my new office grounds. On the way, I made sure I didn't miss a single pot hole. I knew each one of them since I carefully avoid them everyday. Did some crazy ups, turns and down in the plot until we got dangerously close to getting stuck in the freshly filled up mud. At this point my wife decided to move back to test the back seat comfort.

Next we decided to drive to my wife's granny's house. The road leading to the house usually needs 1st gear driving in Baleno while avoiding every small undulation. But today we ripped on it. I drove on every pot hole I could see, even drove with one wheel out of the tarmac right on the flowing rain water. Then I realised that I was spraying the rain water on the roadside shops, so got back on the road. Sorry guys, but buses do it all day.

All through this ride, we hardly felt most of the pot holes. Even when we drove over serious undulation, we oscillated smoothly, no sharp jolts or no whiplashes. This is a serious bad road vehicle. Didn't try any real offroad stuff since this was a 2WD variant. We can get into the paddy field or the jungle later. The driver seat was very comfortable, loved the seat height adjuster and lumbar support. Haven't had that feature since my Acura TL.

We all know how sales guys turn pale or get motion sickness in Team-BHP test drives. But this sales guy reacted differently. On the way back, he excitedly said "This is how a Safari should be test driven, most people just drive on level road and think they tested it". At one point he asked me to speed up when he saw a series of pot holes. As we came close to my home I stopped, and asked him to take over and show me the tight S curve I wanted. He took over, and executed the S curve with real finesse. Then he got back fast and did the same quick U-turn and slightly drifted the monster on the muddy field before getting back and executing the same tight S curve. In other words Safari can get in and out of my home just like the Baleno, I just need some practice with it.

I am not going to describe the vehicle, most of you know it very well and it is covered in other Safari TD threads. I mainly wanted to test it for my set of needs. The need is for a capable off-roader (not extreme) with excellent ride, and the Safari passed with flying colours.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

There goes the Trax flying outta the Window .

That was very well written Samurai. So when's the new one coming home?
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review Samurai San, So Safari Scores much higher compared to Scorpio !! Heard this a lot of time but never ever sat in either of the vehicles....probably I should try out some TDs on these...
SO when is the DICOR coming to ur house ????

Well ur message gives a nice indication to how to TD a SUV?

Abhi
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

While you are at it, can you do me a favour?
Can you subject a grand Vitara to the same test drive?

I know GV is double the price but you seem to be the right expert to verify GV's off-road or semi-offroad and overall handling capability.

Will be a big help for the potential SUV buyers like me who are contemplating from Safari all the way upto GV.

And all the best for your new Dicor.

Enjoy!
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:10   #5

Thanks for the very useful and off the road review on Safari. I am planning to go for an SUV within 6 months time and getting more info on Scorpio as well. can you please do the similar treatment to the scorpio too?. And can you please help me in suggesting which vehicle to choose. I am looking for a 7.5 to 8L budget SUV. Please Help!.
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

See Samurai,

We are depending on you...
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Safari impress a lot for bad Indian roads, I really this beast, I decided once I retire myself I would buy this beast! Its great indian SUV which understands Indian road condition.

With Fiat's back up I am sure very soon Safari will be very much refinened Indian beast!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, good to see you looking this way, towards the Dicor.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, atleast you are now no longer considering that rural taxi. . Very nice report.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont intend to sound like a granny, but, you should have done this a long time ago. Then, by now, we would have read the Safari's capability in your LTO of 12 months and 2 services over 500 kms horizontally and 5000 kms vertically travelled by the suspension by now.

Last edited by theMAG : 23rd July 2007 at 22:27.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I drove on every pot hole I could see, even drove with one wheel out of the tarmac right on the flowing rain water. Then I realised that I was spraying the rain water on the roadside shops, so got back on the road. Sorry guys, but buses do it all day.
you must be enjoying that.
Old 24th July 2007, 00:13   #12
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Samu san... thats the way it should have been. see. we have all been suggesting you to do this for so long I can already see another convert to the Safari religion. I guess yours will be the 4x4 version of the Safari. Which color o' master? Black I hope...
Old 24th July 2007, 00:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
"This is how a Safari should be test driven, most people just drive on level road and think they tested it".
He is totally right. Now thats the way you drive for now on.

I always liked the SAFARI but i really started loving it when i saw how safe it is when it hits stuff. (Time to steal GODDY SAFARI)
Old 24th July 2007, 01:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Realization never comes TOO late. Welcome, O Enlightened One.
Old 24th July 2007, 02:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have you dont the Scorpio on the same stuff. Please do it for us.

Most Viewed