Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2007, 09:14   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer mentioned that they cost 30,000Rs per tyre! So they better last a lifetime coz i am gonna go broke when the thread wears out
Or if they get damaged / cut over some nasty patches.

@ doctorque : What happens if a run-flat gets punctured? Does it have to be repaired only at a BMW service station?
Old 18th August 2007, 14:38   #47
BHPian

yes boss,
if the tyre gets punctured (highly unlikely) , it can be treated only at a BMW workshop.
but the good part is that you are not stranded any where on the road, even if all tyres are flat we can still run 150kms (200miles in case of german rds) atleast.

and the best part is that even if the tyre bursts or blows at a high speed, still the car remains in a straight line without unsettling its composure.infact we only become aware of a flat tyre after the lcd shows that there is a puncture.
while the car with normal tubeless will however change its direction uncontrollably caused due to lack of traction. so safety is more than any competition.
Old 19th August 2007, 01:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

The safety aspect is really what runflats are all about. If you do run 150 kms on a deflated run flat tyre, that's the end of that tyre and you'll have a very expensive replacement on your hands. So I tend to think that even though you have runflats, a space-saver spare would be a good thing to have, if only to save you from some very expensive replacement fees.

@Doctorque, why do you say that it's highly unlikely a runflat will pick up a puncture? Sure the side-walls are very much stiffer, but that doesn't mean a nail (or some of the other vicious stuff we find on our roads) won't get through the contact patch.
Old 19th August 2007, 05:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

These run-flat expenses are quite a mess.
BMW offers an extended all vehicle coverage that cost 40,000Rs a year, wherein BMW will cover all the expenses during a mishap that the insurance company doesnt cover. For instance if the bumper is damaged insurance will pay only 50% as its a plastic part, in this case BMW will cover the rest over the cost so you dont pay a dime.
Run-flats are also covered under this package, is it worth considering this option looking at the cost of repair for run-flats!

@Doctorque-How much do dealer charge for puncture repair? Would the tire have to be replaced everytime a nail goes in?
Old 19th August 2007, 09:07   #50
BANNED

Sahil,

Congratulations. Must be a great feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Nice TD report there! Thanks for sharing your TD experience here.

Handling characteristics of Beemer 5 series is some well known, tested and tried fact. They are all good handlers. Ride comfort will be compromised a bit.
It is a Beemer! So, even an underpowered one will be adequately powered and will always bring some good smiles on the drivers' faces.

But this car is more about character and liking. If you fall in love with these great driving machines, then there's no helping out of it. Even a full blooded Merc will not make your eyes blink.

It will be great to see you driving one out of your driveway. :cheers:
Actually I thought that it was a bimmer

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th August 2007 at 23:20.
Old 19th August 2007, 11:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Actually I thought that it was a bimmer
nope.. it is a beemer.
Old 19th August 2007, 13:41   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
nope.. it is a beemer.
AFAIK [I'm pretty sure too], Beemer refers to bikes and Bimmer refers to cars.

Bimmer Magazine

Bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum
Old 19th August 2007, 17:32   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
AFAIK [I'm pretty sure too], Beemer refers to bikes and Bimmer refers to cars.

Bimmer Magazine

Bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum

i still prefer calling it beemer. bimmer sounds weird.
Old 21st August 2007, 12:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
These run-flat expenses are quite a mess.
BMW offers an extended all vehicle coverage that cost 40,000Rs a year, wherein BMW will cover all the expenses during a mishap that the insurance company doesnt cover. For instance if the bumper is damaged insurance will pay only 50% as its a plastic part, in this case BMW will cover the rest over the cost so you dont pay a dime.
Run-flats are also covered under this package, is it worth considering this option looking at the cost of repair for run-flats!

@Doctorque-How much do dealer charge for puncture repair? Would the tire have to be replaced everytime a nail goes in?
Well, depending on what the Rs. 40,000/- gets you, I feel it may be worth it. If it covers consumables (fluids, brake pads, etc), plastic parts, AND non-accident failures (that insurance does not cover) then it may be a wise investment.

As for the run-flat issue, a friend of mine drives a 330i in the UK. He has had two punctures on that car. The first time, he was in the middle of nowhere and had to "drive home" on the "flat" tyre. When he took it to BMW, they said the tyre had to be replaced because the side wall had been sufficiently weakened due to driving on the tyre while deflated. It was replaced.

The second time he was in London and immediately drove to his dealer and they fixed the puncture and sent him off. He must have driven barely 20 kms on the flat tyre the second time at very low speed, so the side wall held up. In the first instance, he drove over 100 kms on the flat tyre.

This is why I feel that a space saver spare would be great, because

1. You have the greater safety of a run-flat where you don't suffer instant tyre pressure loss if you have a puncture at speed, and so you maintain control of the car.

2. You can immediately switch to the spare so that you can repair the punctured tyre, not drive on it for some distance and then replace it.

Especially in a country like India where we have all manner of metal pieces and scrap on / just-off the road, I think it would be a smart move to have some sort of spare tyre to avoid very costly replacement tyres. Alternatively, just pay for the extra warranty (which is the cost of one tyre and a little more) and have peace of mind.
Old 21st August 2007, 16:09   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree; a space saver is a must if you intend to travel on the highway.

But then, whats the point of a run-flat? I dont know about the others but gimme a regular tubeless tyre anyday over a run flat. What if I want to do a round-trip to Goa (1200+ kms) and have two punctures? No way in hell those pappu-tyrewallas will be able to repair a run flat. Run flats have other limitations too...chief among them being a stiffer ride.
Old 21st August 2007, 21:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But then, whats the point of a run-flat?

You're right about the lumpier ride due to the stiffer side walls. The practical aspect on a long run is also valid. This is why a friend of mine bought a 325i and then sold it immediately (he didn't know about the run flats).

The main idea behind run flats is that you're much safer in the event of a puncture at high speed (such as on a highway). I guess there's no price you can attach to your & your family's lives, so that's the point of the run flat tyre.
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But then, whats the point of a run-flat? .
Safer handling during a blow out
Less weight
Less cost
Less space
Tyre manufacturer sells 4 tyres for the price of 5

Although the concept is good. It is stupid to expect that it is practical in all situations. All least a space saver should be provided
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:58   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All least a space saver should be provided
I think I remember seeing a space saver in the trunk of a brand new 320d. Maybe doctorque can confirm if they are offered as standard in India.
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:06   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I remember seeing a space saver in the trunk of a brand new 320d. Maybe doctorque can confirm if they are offered as standard in India.
i think run flats are an option in the 3 series but standard in the 5.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd August 2007 at 16:14.
Old 26th August 2007, 02:18   #60
BHPian

No Akshay, run flats are standard on all the BMWs sold in India at the moment...a big issue for me since my 325i is not going to be used in delhi...
and does the 525i shares its engine wth the 325i?

Most Viewed