Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2007, 11:22   #61
BHPian

1. true - the 325i shares its engine with 525i
2. runflats are standard on all BMW's sold in india except for the 7 Series (in which its optional).
3. there is no space saver or emergency wheel provided with the car, though for people from outstations its better to buy and keep one.
4. runflats affect the ride quality - true, but the suspension stiffness is reduced to take care of it. and people who have driven BMW's earlier will surely find the ride of the new lot of cars better than before.
5. on a goa trip too a runflat would be better, because the runflat is also a tubeless tire, it is obviously repairable (NOT RECOMENDED BY BMW).
Assumptions can be innumerous. runflat can run even on all 4 flat tires (unimaginable on a normal tubeless). and lastly it saves your life (if uve seen the high speed blow out video in which tif needle tests both normal tubeless and runflat, you guys will agree with me then.) runflats is the future of tires as standard on BMW.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:46   #62
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for answering all the queries doctorque,

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
(if uve seen the high speed blow out video in which tif needle tests both normal tubeless and runflat, you guys will agree with me then.)
Where can we find this video online?

cya
R
Old 26th August 2007, 21:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Not tiff but here's one video for starters,

+

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 26th August 2007 at 21:07. Reason: added another video
Old 30th August 2007, 22:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

I saw mentioned in ToI that the CKD BMW X5 TDI is 35 lakhs. Is this true ?
Old 31st August 2007, 00:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

I think they are planning to assemble the X5 & X3 here & that the price mentioned is what they are expected to cost when assembled here.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I think they are planning to assemble the X5 & X3 here & that the price mentioned is what they are expected to cost when assembled here.
ishan in the article it was mention the x5 was priced at 35 lacs and if it is worth the sticker price of 35 lacs. so how could it mean that thats the price it is expected to cost once they assemble the car here. please throw in some light.
Old 31st August 2007, 02:54   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Run-flats are standard on all BMWs made in India. there is no stepney in the boot either. The dealer mentioned that they cost 30,000Rs per tyre! So they better last a lifetime coz i am gonna go broke when the thread wears out
It's greatthat run-flats are standard, however, the price is killing, no doubts Rs. 30k!
One of the BMW dealers here (USA), told me that though the run-flats are good (driveability when punctured), a lot of customers prefer to go in for regular tubeless radials when the original tyres wear out just because of the high cost.
Also, from my experience of late, punctures are a pretty rare occurence, even in India.
Old 31st August 2007, 03:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Speedy, here is the whole article for your reference. As for the price read the highlighted portion.

Quote:
BANGALORE: Just six months into production in India, German luxury car major BMW is planning to set up an assembly line for its sports utility vehicles (SUV) X3 and X5. The facility is likely to be ready by middle or end of next year, said sources.

Currently the 2.5 litre, 6-cylinder petrol engine X3 and the seven-seater X5 are imported through the CBU (completely built units) route and sold at Rs 60 lakh and above due to high import duty. With the new assembly line, the production of these SUVs in India could see a price drop by over 50%. BMW achieved similar market advantage when it started the assembly of 3-series and 5-series at its plant in Mahindra World City near Chennai.

However, when contacted, Peter Kronschnabl, president, BMW India said, "At the moment, we have no plans for any expansion as we're looking to stabilise on what we're doing."

Though initially the assembly line would roll out the X3s, the X5s will follow. "This will give the luxury marquee SUVs a competitive advantage in pricing over its competitors, the Mercedes M-class and Audi Quattro," said an industry observer.

Also in the pipeline are two new variants in the 3-series range. "We're evaluating the possibilities to launch a coupe and a convertible," said Kronschnabl, indicating that any launch would happen next year.
However, sources said that BMW would also expand its 5-series portfolio by introducing 5-series station wagon.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

this is a different article:

BMW has brought in the X5 to India- Times Syndication Service

It says they are already retailing for 35.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:22   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

5 series station wagon I doubt it will get much response from the Indian market.
Although, the 3 series coupe and convertible would broaden the segment
Old 31st August 2007, 16:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

ishan lurker has the arcticle.
sahil i agree with you 3 series coupe and convertible would definately broaden the segment for sure it would be gladly accepted and alot of cars would sell.
Old 1st September 2007, 00:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

I think a 530 wagon would be a great alternative to some barge SUV (petrol or diesel)

Then again I think a 330i or d coupe would be absolutely perfect! I hope BMW doesn't persist with this x25 nonsense here and brings in the x30 and x35 cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st September 2007 at 09:22.
Old 1st September 2007, 03:28   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt there would be many takers for the wagon version of the 5 series as it is not really an alternative for an SUV as boot space is not the only thing SUVs are used for. SUVs seen as recreational vehicles which can tackle our bad Indian road conditions. Not to forget interior space and seating capacity which are big factors for buying an SUV. A station wagon wouldnt suffice for these needs, besides no station wagon launched in India has ever been a success-Subaru Forester,Octavia Combi,etc.

Rather than getting the 330i, BMW should consider getting the 335i with its twin turbo engine it would qualify as a true sports car in our country.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st September 2007 at 03:31.
Old 1st September 2007, 06:24   #74
BHPian

My family friend has a 530d in cherry color...the cars amazing.He's got the pre-facelift model,which also has a sunroof..Bought it last year
Old 1st September 2007, 11:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Rather than getting the 330i, BMW should consider getting the 335i with its twin turbo engine it would qualify as a true sports car in our country.
Now you're talking, though I'd happily have even the non-turbo'd 330i! Thing is, the coupe looks SOOO much better than the four door, it's not funny. I can't bear the "half grille" on the four door!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks