Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 12:27   #1
BHPian

New Formula Red Palio Stile 1.6 - 500 kms Report

After 20 days of booking the Palio Stile 1.6 in Formula Red i took delivery from Dhingra Motors in Gurgaon on the 9th. I had been pestering them regularly and also my contact in Tata-Fiat and had made sure i am not given a TD car. Here are my experience with the delivery process and the car which has been on a Delhi-Agra-Delhi trip yesterday.

Delivery Satisfaction: 6/10
The paperwork was done fast but the car wasnt clean as per my liking so spent a good 1.5 hours in getting it squeaky clean. Suprisingly Dhingra did not have the new Palio's foot mats or mud flaps so left without them. Got 3 litres of petrol filled from the dealer (free). Got my Mithai box and paid 100 bucks to the cleaners and said tata. Next stop was the fuel pump, got the tank filled with regular petrol from BP Pure for Sure pump, the guy finning the fuel pocketed Rs. 80 on account of "Saab nai gaadi hai, pehlee baar petrol bharane ka inaam!".

ICE Installation:
Took the car to Music Car in Gurgaon and got the ICE installed.
HU: Sony with USB
Front: Blaupunkt 6.5 " Components with Tweeters and Crossovers
Rear: Blaupunkt 2 way GT Series Co-axials.
Total Cost: Rs.11500 (grey), Sound Quality: 8/10 (good bass and clarity)

Driving Experience:
My first drive in my new Palio 1.6 was to Agra. Needed to travel with wifey for the weekend so left post lunch on Saturday with all my fav songs in my pen drive. As the car had only done 26 kms at the start of our journey i knew i couldt rip it on the higway. Drove at a max rpm of 2200-2300 and a max speed of 80kmph all the way to and back from Agra. The highway is smooth and it was very painful to keep the reigns on the Palio which was begging to be driven faster. I still feel a new car should be given time atleast till 1000kms to be able to run in (i know many think otherwise). With this kind of driving the experience was very sedate and i needed loud music to keep me awake. The car performs well even at a powerband of. 1500-2000 rpm with decent torque for overtaking. The ride was good and we did take it over some very rough patches which it ate comfortably.

Problems:
One grouse with the car is that beyond 70 there is a slight vibration in the steering, this might be because of balancing since the alignment is dead straight. I have got tire pressure of 31 psi in the tyres which are 14 inch 175/65 goodyear tubeless. Please let me know if this is OK since there is no placard on the door for tyre pressure and the manual mentions it in bar and not psi.
Also the rear right power window switch gets stuck when pulling up the window, i think the problem is with the plastic switch.

Fuel Economy:
On my first tank fill and driving on the highway till Agra and back, doing 500 kms with the rpm below 2200 i got a FE figure of 12.2. I did get stuck in traffic on 2-3 occassions and drove within Agra for about 50 kms (saw the Taj Mahal too). What do you think about this FE?

I'LL UPLOAD SOME PICS VERY SOON.

Last edited by ReNaGade : 13th August 2007 at 12:37.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats n the buy and enjoy your ride! Its too early to comment on FE, Usually First 1000km its difficult to judge FE on all new cars because its new engine, new to us for driving so on.

Check the FE full tank to tank always or auto cut off to auto cut. And with first tank full we can't judge FE, should be average of 3 or 4 tank fill.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Slightly ot, but couldnt resist asking.
Are you really a 17 years old student? Or is it that someone else created your profile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaGade View Post
Needed to travel with wifey for the weekend so left post lunch on Saturday with all my fav songs in my pen drive.

Last edited by DCEite : 13th August 2007 at 12:58.
Old 13th August 2007, 13:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good report. As pointed out already, it is too early for checking the FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaGade View Post

Next stop was the fuel pump, got the tank filled with regular petrol from BP Pure for Sure pump, the guy finning the fuel pocketed Rs. 80 on account of "Saab nai gaadi hai, pehlee baar petrol bharane ka inaam!".
Now I understand why the guy at the petrol bunk gave me that look when I filled in petrol after coming directly from the showroom. I did not know that they expected a tip for that too
Old 13th August 2007, 13:20   #5
BHPian

it's my younger bro's profile, im 27 and have recently gone broke buying my new car
Old 13th August 2007, 13:36   #6
BHPian

hey Congrats on ya palio 1.6 buddy, you gonna make some great memories in due time,
FE actually its a little early to say but 12.2 is a good.
tyre pressure wise i would say keep 29 psi, has worked best for me.
post some pictures of the glorious red & this time in your own profile mate
Old 13th August 2007, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice first-hand Report! Congrats on your new Palio 1.6!
Better to run-in your Car for first 2000 kms.

Vibration in the steering is unusual, get the Wheel Alignment and Balancing done at a Specialized Wheel alignment shop.
Reg tyre pressure, on my Goodyear tubed tyres, I maintain 33 PSI for front and 31 PSI for rear tyres.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Nice first-hand Report!Reg tyre pressure, on my Goodyear tubed tyres, I maintain 33 PSI for front and 31 PSI for rear tyres.
Finney- Still running on tubed tyres- Change to tubeless my friend! now, you can get 165/80/R13s as well in tubeless since teh Stile comes with them.- having said that, if you are changing, better to upsize and go for 185/70 r13s on alloys.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Finney- Still running on tubed tyres- Change to tubeless my friend! now, you can get 165/80/R13s as well in tubeless since teh Stile comes with them.- having said that, if you are changing, better to upsize and go for 185/70 r13s on alloys.
Hi Himanshu, wanted to upgrade to Tubeless + Alloys, but then thought to run-in my present tyres till 40K kms and then change over!
Old 13th August 2007, 15:35   #10
BHPian

yes, change to 14 inch alloys and 185/65 profile tubeless tyres, Goodyear NCT 5's are a good bet in that size, had them on my cielo, no puncture for 45000 kms and a good ride.
Old 13th August 2007, 22:48   #11
BHPian

Pics of my new babe!

Old 15th August 2007, 07:06   #12
BHPian

Great pics my friend, and congratulations on the buy. 12.2 sounds very good - i've managed a figure over 12 only once so far.

Get some nice tints - it'll spruce up an already beautiful looking car. Any comments on the quality that some people are so convinced has dropped with the new 1.6?
Old 15th August 2007, 08:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the baby ..
btw, why am I getting the smell of a new car ?
Old 15th August 2007, 09:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Car is lookin hot! It sure deserves better pics though!

ACI August 07, lying inside the car. i bought Overdrive only this month. Anything interesting in ACI?
Old 15th August 2007, 13:33   #15
BHPian

I took these pics with my 1.2 mp phone cam. Yeah the ACI does have a lot of SUV focus this time and also a long time report of ACI's Palio 1.2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks