Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 12:07   #1
BHPian

Black Beauty - Baleno Review 2K kms in a week

How it Happened?
I had been looking for a Vtec or a Baleno for a long time....with Black colour in mind finding a Vtec was next to impossible in Bangalore. So when I saw the ad that Black beauty was up for sale, immediately grabbed the opportunity.

She will remain Black Beauty; named and owned by Samurai - I will have a tough time living upto his reputation for maintainence of the car. Deal happened very quickly, thanks to him, he kept the car until i could struggle through my loan and reach manipal as quickly as possible else I was sure that someone would frisk away the beauty.

Review
There has been many and many more reviews of Baleno. I will keep mine short and a slightly different perspective. I have done more than 2K in the past one week in the car(total 19K on the odo).

Common Mans Perspective
This is a perfect family car. People putting down their money on this one will not regret it one bit. This is definitely one of the best long term investment that you can make with you hard earned money.

People who would love to drive their family around, still enjoy driving this car can give you all you ask for. I believe this is one of the more comfy cars around. What you will enjoy is the torquey drive. The torque is there from as low are 750rpm which allows you to pull cleanly from high gears in the city. On the highway you can keep a cruising speed of 120 Kph without your wifey giving you a frown. Switch on the chilling AC and some good music none of your passengers will notice what speeds you are doing, unless you have that silly smile on your face. With a mild foot you will get good mileage and no worries on you wallet. Upgrade to 14 inchers with 185 or 195 tyres is highly recommended for the enthusiastic family man.

The Racer at Heart Review
For people buying Baleno with lots of expectations, this is no VTEC. period. But its got potential, loads of potential. Yes you have not made the wrong choice, I would not trade in my baleno for anything in the market now, not even the SX4.

Positives:
The engine is super smooth (close to honda smoothness). You can rev it to the heavens and more, she will not complain. This is very unlike the fords or the hyundais which may have the power but does not like revving to the moon. The engine feels a little restricted. I dont know why I got this feeling but felt like its got a lot more to give given some nice goodies. It already running K&N stock replacement, its not exactly a breathing problem.

The gears are pretty good. Samurai told me finding 5th is a problem for some, I have not issues with that. Reverse can be quite stubborn sometimes.

Handling is sweet. Running 195/60 R14 Yoko Es100s, so this must be aiding handling a lot. 15 inchers would be great on this car but the roads that I met on my way to kerala would eat any 15 inchers for breakfast. The 14 and yokos somehow survived to tell the tale. Yokos are perfect track tires, high speed handling and grip is exceptional, road noise is high. But the issue with them is that anything less than perfect tarmac, i have grip issues. A little bumpy then its does not hug as its meant to. Next tyre change will bring a lot of confusion, but thats for another thread later. Oh yeah they still have some life left after 19K on the odo.

Brakes are adequate, with the wider tyres pulls me out of tough spots.

Negatives
She definitely needs more oomph. No other negatives that I can think of; looks, thats personal opinion, I like her clean lines.

Improvement areas
Yes, she needs a stronger heart. Remember driving a 03 Baleno which felt faster, i dont know maybe because of the ECU. She needs a lot of freeing up. Filter, exhaust and some Stage 1 mods will see her flying and becoming a hunter on the high way.

Suspension and brakes: Needs sprucing up. This car needs some good suspension setup to completely utilise all that power (along with the mods). Brakes, I dont have any options here but will keep looking.

Overall, not suprisingly am overjoyed! Well black beauty is back in bangalore after an year of absence. Burning up bangalore roads!
Old 24th August 2007, 14:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

So you are the one who bought Samurai's Black beauty...
Amazing to see that you are 3.5 years in Tbhp and with newbie status, still tracked the beauty at the right time...
Hope to see you in the next team bhp meet with the beauty.

Abhi
Old 24th August 2007, 14:11   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Hhhmm so thats where she went. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I am looking at selling my car too. And if your car needs any ooommpphh you know whom to contact . Kindly make it to the weekend meets we have.
Old 24th August 2007, 14:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

congrats crazydiablo. its good to hear that you are enjoying your ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
The Racer at Heart Review
For people buying Baleno with lots of expectations, this is no VTEC. period.
Agreed that it is no vtec but considering a 15 bhp deficit its not far behind.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th August 2007 at 15:17. Reason: Try posting everything in a single post. Posts merged.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:06   #5
BHPian

@akroy: yeah I have been around but not so active. Black beauty happened just like it was meant for me!

@Rahul: will catch up during the weekend meets, but doubtful can make it to coimbi.

@blackpea yeah its not far behind, thats why i said its got potential.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:07   #6
BHPian

Congratulations, certainly the most photographed baleno in India. Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I am looking at selling my car too.
Yea, me curious too.. . Please post it if that's ok with Samurai as well as you.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Not many would travel 400+ Kms with a demand draft in my name even before seeing the car, that too with the initial price I named. How could I resist this guy?
So you finally came out in the open. I was getting many queries regarding your identity, but I managed to keep the secret.

You already did 2000 Kms in a week, not bad. She hadn't done that in a long time, but I am sure she was up to it.

I didn't do much mods since I was too far away from the experts. Now that she is back in Bangalore, it is easier for further mods.

I am glad you are enjoying the car. I did miss her couple of times in the last 12 days, but the local roads are only getting worse. She belongs in 4 lane highways around Bangalore, not where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Congratulations, certainly the most photographed baleno in India. Ride safe!
Best, not most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Yea, me curious too.. . Please post it if that's ok with Samurai as well as you.
Better get it via PM, I prefer it that way.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th August 2007 at 16:43.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:42   #8
BHPian

What can I say I am just one of those crazy guys. It may be just coincidence that I bought my RD from Manipal without seeing the bike. I was not sure when you would change your mind, the whole time you really did not want to let her go.

The look on Samurai's face as I left with the car was heart breaking. I almost thought he will call me back. LOL

Coming back from Manipal and a trip to Kerala, made up most of that 2K kms. Absolutely no issues during the entire trip. Pushing most 130-140 on the highways and few adrenaline trips to 160-165. Oh old men like me dont drive that fast!

I have not hassles in telling the price, If Samurai prefers PM it will be so.

Mclaren and Hellwrath: I will PM you the price.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
congrats crazydiablo. its good to hear that you are enjoying your ride

Agreed that it is no vtec but considering a 15 bhp deficit its not far behind.

i thot the baleno was rated at 94bhp and that makes it 12 short of the VTEC

correct me if im wrong..
Old 24th August 2007, 16:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i thot the baleno was rated at 94bhp and that makes it 12 short of the VTEC

correct me if im wrong..
EURO III models are rated 91BHP.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mohit on picking up Samurai's baleno.

So bangy boys isnt this a feather in our cap, that we have another baleno in the club ?

Quote:
But its got potential, loads of potential. Yes you have not made the wrong choice, I would not trade in my baleno for anything in the market now, not even the SX4.
Now thats what a true baleno lover is all about. Enjoy driving her and bring her around for one the meets.

Also Rahul why do you wanna sell your baleno ?
Old 24th August 2007, 16:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And if your car needs any ooommpphh you know whom to contact

Someone with a digestion problem ? No, I dont have any.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:46   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi
i am new joinee to BHP. i too own an atlantic blue version of original y2k model. still she is a beauty. even after 7 years still holds the punch. i have clocked 70K with it. it gives fantastic average even you drive 140+.
Last week i touched 175 on noida exp highway. (25 Km 8 lane road)
Some time i go out with my baleno for speed drill.

congrats on you buy. certainly a great buy
Old 24th August 2007, 16:54   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Also Rahul why do you wanna sell your baleno ?
Check my sig Riju. Sometimes, you got to let it go. Only if I get a good price, not otherwise.
Old 24th August 2007, 17:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Best, not most.
Ah, the adjectives. Need to get back to Sam's english post! Truly the best shot (and may be even the most).

Mcl, Indian -> Foreign..Cool!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks