Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer - Cedia Ownership report @ 1000 KM

I started my car hunt way back in July and Cedia was always my first choice, but was never in my budget (definitely not the Sports variant).

Well somehow I managed and as already posted in other thread under “What Car” went ahead with Cedia Sports.

Specifications:

Car: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports
Color: Manchester Red
Date of Purchase: 30th Sept 2007
Dealer: Metro Motors, Hughes Road, Mumbai
On road Price: 11.03 lacs (Company Registration)
Dealer Discounts: 30K cash
Freebies: 5k accessories (mirror guard, dual Mats, sunfilm)
Finance discount: 35K cash discount (4% payout on 8.9lacs car loan at 14% rate of interest).

So here goes my overall experience till now

Pre-sales:

As a initial impression, one would think HM-Mitsubishi dealership hardly exists and doing anything.

Same was true with me, but my experience with them has proved otherwise.

Because of the kind of products Mitsubishi provides in India and also the dealership location in south Mumbai, most of the Metro motor's customer are high profile (politicians, big corporates and bollywood stars), so the dealership is always well behaved and give their customer that little more importance.

I was always welcomed and given all the importance; all the ways from dealership manager (even while negotiating very hard for discounts) right to their chauffer.

Against this Maruti & Honda were never impressive.

I mean, Maruti never bothered to follow-up on my SX4 query and Honda, as always “take it…or leave it”

To summaries the dealership, “sell small and enjoy better customer relation”……but this may start changing with more Cedia being sold and HM-Mitsubishi started showing some marketing initiative.

Delivery:

As promised on date and on time.
Infact, delivery was made even before bank had disbursed the loan amount just to honor the promised date.
This is possible because it’s a corporate purchase and Metro had already sold Cedia to one of the senior in my company.

But I would still doubt; if Honda, Toyota, Maruti would show this gesture to keep the delivery promise.

Ownership Experience:

I must say, Cedia Sports is “Eye-catcher”.
Credit goes to its looks and styling. And part of it to also less number of cars on road.
But car has its presence even in south Mumbai, where you have best of the Car World and even in Thane, where it is as good as Ferrari

Well my regular driving is about 30km daily, which involves 18km on eastern exp and rest on the most traffic conditions in Mumbai, Gandhinagar-Powai road (thanks to BMC-MMRDA for worst road condition)
So never really got chance push the car and hence decided to take it to Pune last weekend on Expressway.

The experience was just superb…maxed to 150km and then had to slow down because of my wife and mom, who were also with me. So I guess I need to one more long drive with friends.

But Overall handling and performance was very impressive on the 300 km drive to Pune
Interestingly, one of the Mercs was driving alongside me for almost 1-2 km stretch and the guy was very keen and looking at my Cedia.
Its actually supposed to be other way with people driving Mercs (or those luxuary brands).

Well here goes the good & the bad about Cedia-sports, based on my experience

The Good ones:
  1. Definite Eye-catcher. Although there are people who are not great fan of the front of car, but I love it all the way.
  2. Interior is neat and has good build quality and I do love the black interior with black leather seats (although I was bit hesitant initially)
  3. The best turning Radius. Almost as good as santro / swift.
  4. Lot of power and really responsive if pushed with correct gears and RPM
  5. Mileage is not the best; but better than the competition (and competition here is Corolla, Civic and i think better than magnum-Petrol also)
  6. Car handles really well without loosing inch of control.
  7. AC is just superb and does its job without any noise
  8. Overall NVH is the best in segment and makes drive very pleasant.
  9. Back seat is definitely very good, atleast for my parents and wife. They were more than comfortable during long drive (and not because they were used to my Santro till now).
And not so good ones:
  1. This isn’t the quickest of the blocks and not very sure why? When it has so much of power and torque. But really speeds-up after initial pick-up
  2. Also not great when you are trying to push it on uphill with stop and go traffic using half clutch. Invariably, I have to revv between 1000 to 1500 RPM with half clutch to get car moving uphill. Even my santro does better job and it doesn’t require any help with acceleration. I initially thought it’s because I am not used to clutch setting, but that’s not really true. Any comments from existing owners?
  3. Ride is bit bumpy for my liking. I know some of the owners have changed rubber and its really improved. But I would expect it to be much better from Mitsubishi.
  4. Interiors although good quality, but still has those old contemporary looks.

Mileage Figures (with AC):

City – 8.5 to 9 (on worst possible roads in Mumbai and before 1st service; if at all it improves after 1st service)

Highway – 12 (on journey to eastern expressway)

After Sales Service:

Well I did my 1st service last Saturday before taking it on Pune Expressway.
I must say the current service center in south Mumbai is just not enough.
The way their service staff does juggling of cars onto the bay, you really got to be lucky to get your car without any damage. I was one of the lucky though

No, but seriously Metro has to do something about it.
They have ramped-up their service center Navi Mumbai and shortly going to open one at Malad. So hopefully that will help.

Ranjith, now I understand your concerns from 1st service

Apart from this, servicing was spot on and was done in 3 hours for me.
1st service is without oil change, so no cost. They did some tune-up and car wash plus Clutch setting which I had asked.

Although I am bit worried about Metro after sales service, but Cedia's 2nd service interval is 10k / 6 months, so I guess I have time and things might improve at Mitsubishi.

My Verdict:

Overall great car, fun to drive and real value for money!!

You just need to keep faith and patience with Dealer, HM-Mitsubishi and things are getting better!!

Mods: There are existing threads on “Cedia ownership”, but wanted one for mine. Hope this is fine or else please merge.
Old 1st October 2007, 18:17   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post
Date of Purchase: 30th Sept 2007
I think ^ that's a typo.
Anyways.. great writeup and congrats for your new car.
Old 1st October 2007, 18:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

vbmenu_register("postmenu_581328", true); @vishaltanksale - a good report and its good to see you happy with your car. But I would request you to be a bit more restrained during the running in period of your car. and if possible you could change your engine oil even though it is not mentioned in the service booklet. The engine has the highest wear and tear initially and changing the oil would ensure longer life for the engine. you can also get some advice for the experts here.
Old 1st October 2007, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vishal your mileage will hopefully increase a bit once the run in period is over. Its a pity there's no Shell in bombay as I consistently get 1km/ltr or so higher with shell compared to any other fuel.

About the slow off the block speed, seemingly its got to do with the intake system. I know of a friend who got a K&N Typhoon kit fitted in his Cedia and that issue no longer exists. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it works for those who wish to fiddle around. Its a shame though since the acceleration otherwise is rather good.
Old 1st October 2007, 19:21   #5
BHPian

congrats vishal on the lovely purchase.. love cedia in manchester red

BTW have just seen it in delhi & not seen a single one in lucknow as of now (thoough there are a few lancers I get to see here and there), i think all because of the pathetic HM service here

hope you have nice ownership experience

cheers
Old 1st October 2007, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Nice review there vishaltanksale.
How about some pics of this beauty?
Old 1st October 2007, 20:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

nice writeup vishal.. Cedia had always been my favorite.. red is awesome... enjoy your baby
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

nice writeup. I love mitsubishi lancer and would have gone for cedia if not for the parking space and bangalore traffic.
Old 2nd October 2007, 08:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Nice review there vishaltanksale.
How about some pics of this beauty?
Got some snaps in parking space, but they aren't very great.
Thought of taking snaps during pune drive, but forgot to carry my camera .
Willl try to take better snaps in parking space and post it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I think ^ that's a typo.
Anyways.. great writeup and congrats for your new car.
Yes thats typo....its 30th Aug'07.
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Great write up Vishal. Saw a red one today and really liked it. Enjoy the baby!!

Any inputs on the not so terrific pick up? I was under the impression that Cedia pick up should not leave room for complaints.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:15   #11
BHPian

vishal,
hehehe so you are one more person who gets less than 9 kmpl.
and also enjoys metro motors (cant find that apt emoteicon to show my feelings of being let down)

However, metro i think is full of nice people just that they are affected by the HM culture of laid back attitude.
Today i fired them for not sending my RC book and insurance policy after 2+ months of delivery.
said they will send today surely. hope some mamu does not catch me.

my mileage remains at 8.5 to 9
surprising fact i notice is
tank is divided into 4 quarters as per the feul gauge.
when i fill in fuel fulltank, the needle passes the full mark. the needle gets to the full mark only after 20 to 40 kms. so i think i shud get more mileage

Surprise for me then, needle goes to 2nd quarter by the time i reach 80kms. then the 2nd and 3rd quarter catchup for loss by taking me till 300. the 4th quarter till reseve light comes on also goes fast in 50 kms

i cant figure this out.. no mater HOW i drive, average is the same. 350 kms for 38 to 40 liters. so average is approx 9.25

once i tried floring it n racing lots then also same average )

anyone has any idea what is going on??

hey vishal,
i also got my front grille painted black and it looks stunning )
have gone till 140 but chicken out after that.

my ride is also bumpy and wonder how come it is so.

lastly, anyone has any noise in the wiper when it is running in FULL SPEED ? i gtet it and its annoying me to no end.
Old 4th October 2007, 15:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithc View Post
vishal,
my mileage remains at 8.5 to 9

hey vishal,
i also got my front grille painted black and it looks stunning )
have gone till 140 but chicken out after that.

lastly, anyone has any noise in the wiper when it is running in FULL SPEED ? i gtet it and its annoying me to no end.

Ranjith, I don't feel milage of 8-9 with full AC is bad at all.
Civic and Corolla will struggle to produce these figures
But it also depends on what road you drive.

My regular drive is between Thane to Powai and considering traffic, this isn't very bad.
Even my Santro struggle to produce 11 kmpl on this road.
Also as pointed by Regi; shell does improve mileage figures, but unfortunately doesn't have in mumbai.

About painting front grill, I am planning to do it next time. I really wanted to get 1st service done quickly and hence did not consider.
btw, how much did it cost and can you post some snaps?

Well don't have any problem with Wiper....Just check wiper blades.

Last edited by vishaltanksale : 4th October 2007 at 15:49.
Old 4th October 2007, 15:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Any inputs on the not so terrific pick up? I was under the impression that Cedia pick up should not leave room for complaints.
as mentioned by regi it has something to do with intake system, so we just have to live with it.

But this isn't bad at all. Its just that when you comapre with kind of accelration possible, this seems to be below expectation.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:05   #14
BANNED

Good review. Thats nice feeling isn't it
Quote:
Interestingly, one of the Mercs was driving alongside me for almost 1-2 km stretch and the guy was very keen and looking at my Cedia.
Its actually supposed to be other way with people driving Mercs (or those luxuary brands).
I can say Civic with bigger engine has better fuel consumption figures. Fellow member ST7677 has reported higher number.
Quote:
Ranjith, I don't feel milage of 8-9 with full AC is bad at all.
Civic and Corolla will struggle to produce these figures
But it also depends on what road you drive.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I can say Civic with bigger engine has better fuel consumption figures. Fellow member ST7677 has reported higher number.
Civic with bigger engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks