Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 12:16   #136
BHPian

Even nawab motors Noida has disconnected the odometer. Why they are doing this. Is there any perticular reason.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:47   #137
BHPian

Negotiations are on....I don't think I will get a cash discount but maybe a little something on the accessories front if I am lucky.

But they have invited me to the do tonight...so will get to see the launch up close.

Deliveries by this weekend I am told. (If all goes well with the RTO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Turbanman,

I took the TD from Pandit Auto and it is a Green color VX 4X4. Did you get any discount from the dealer?

Regards

KVS
Old 9th October 2007, 12:47   #138
Team-BHP Support

That disconnected speedo helps them in 2 ways.

* That Demo vehicle has to be purchased by the dealership. They can dispose it off once the car is deemed to have become useless for TDs (that is the customers can not get a feel of the actual vehicle by driving a jalopy).

* A car with lesser kms on the odo sells better in the market. They will tell you that it is a demo car and has done 25k and hence you will get a discount on it. Some of you may (just may) think once, but will that same person agree if the car has clocked more than 50k? That's one reason.

* Their sales people are adjudged on their performance just like anywhere else. On important parameter is the amount of kms clocked on the car vis-a-vis the number of cars sold (overheads) and also the no. of people TDing the car vis-a-vis no. of cars sold (they maintain a register). Its called 'successful conversions'. The sales people of course have good connections with their colleagues and 1st thing they do is to get the speedo disconnected. This reduces the overheads on paper. In fact many a times the dealership management is not sure of this case of disconnected speedo. At least officially not.

This last one was told to me by a young dealership chap in sales who later left the job to join a call center.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:56   #139
BHPian

KVS,

Just spoke to Pandit Auto about the delivery. Still cannot give me a date.

Also they have confirmed with me that they have NO 4X4's currently for TD.

Are you sure you drove a 4X4???

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
I have done TD of 2.2L (VX 4X4) on Saturday. This TD is compared to 3.0L (Ex 4X2) TD which I did about 2 weeks back.

Here are my two cents..
  1. As everyone mentioned the NVH levels are very low. My Indica makes more noise the 2.2L
  2. 2.2L has leaner look
  3. I drove in the city (peak traffic time). I absolutely did not have any problem in navigating. It is as easy as any small car.
  4. Could not drive beyond 3rd gear. It was enough to give the required power.
  5. I noticed hissing sound when accelerated, especially climbing on a hill.
  6. Breaking is much better compared to 3.0L (could be because of ABS). I could do the corners very well, with some good speed.
  7. It is easier to drive in city compared to 3.0L. I do not about the high way ride comfort. I did not drive any of these vehicles on the high way.
  8. Found clutch a bit hard both in 2.2L and 3.0L. 2.2 is slight better
  9. I had difficulty in seating my knees were hitting the steering column. It is not very comfortable. I had the same problem in Innova also.
  10. Liked the reverse video system.Getting into First gear was a real problem (Could be problem with the TD vehicle)
Any one noticed the hissing sound while accelerating? The guy accompanied did not have any answers to that sound.

I am planning to book either EX 4X4 or VX 4X4 soon

My questions:
  1. Can we get ABS and reverse video fixed on EX version? Will it be as good as factory fitting?
  2. How much it costs?
  3. Any dealer offering any discounts or deals with 2.2L? No discount or freebies from the dealer in Pune.
Old 9th October 2007, 15:06   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
KVS,

Just spoke to Pandit Auto about the delivery. Still cannot give me a date.

Also they have confirmed with me that they have NO 4X4's currently for TD.

Are you sure you drove a 4X4???

t
Hey Turby, I drove a 4X4 VX with Pandit auto as well. It is the green color one. The clutch was way out of this vehicle also it had a problem with the passenger front door - wouldn't open. Otherwise the vehicle was fine.

I TD'd a vehicle from BU Bhandari as well which was in much better condition as far as the clutch goes was an EX not a 4X4.

I heard the sales guy you referred me to saying that they would start delivering on Dassera 21st Oct! But didn't confirm.
Old 9th October 2007, 15:08   #141
BHPian

LX doesn't have 4x4 variant, why don't you check the specs instead?

hey Samurai,

How much difference would it make between a 4x2 vs a 4x4. I may not be interested in too much offroading. Also going for a 4x4 EX means i would have to stretch my budget too far
Old 9th October 2007, 15:11   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anyone notice the new puddle lamps under the doors?
Old 9th October 2007, 15:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did anyone notice the new puddle lamps under the doors?
Not new, the earlier ones have them as well.

The follow me home headlamps are a new feature....
Old 9th October 2007, 15:27   #144
BHPian

Hmmm....The VX 4X2 that I TD'ed was also the new green. As far as my last conversation with the dealer goes he has yet to see a VX 2.2 4X4. He says mine when it does arrive, mine will be the first one.

Anyways will be at the Taj tonight and get the lowdown from the top-dogs on delivery schedules.

Cheers,

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hey Turby, I drove a 4X4 VX with Pandit auto as well. It is the green color one. The clutch was way out of this vehicle also it had a problem with the passenger front door - wouldn't open. Otherwise the vehicle was fine.

I TD'd a vehicle from BU Bhandari as well which was in much better condition as far as the clutch goes was an EX not a 4X4.

I heard the sales guy you referred me to saying that they would start delivering on Dassera 21st Oct! But didn't confirm.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:06   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
LX doesn't have 4x4 variant, why don't you check the specs instead?

hey Samurai,

How much difference would it make between a 4x2 vs a 4x4. I may not be interested in too much offroading. Also going for a 4x4 EX means i would have to stretch my budget too far
abbey,

you just saved me :-), I wanted to ask the same query.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Hmmm....The VX 4X2 that I TD'ed was also the new green. As far as my last conversation with the dealer goes he has yet to see a VX 2.2 4X4. He says mine when it does arrive, mine will be the first one.

Anyways will be at the Taj tonight and get the lowdown from the top-dogs on delivery schedules.

Cheers,

t
Hey I heard a guy say that there is a problem with the Rear door rattle that these guys are working on, check if you can get some dope on this when you mingle with the biggies. This guy is the owner of the old dicor and according to his sources TATAs are modifying the design so that the rear spare wheel can go underneath the body like the Scorpio rather than make the rear door heavy which is the case at present. I dont know how much truth there is to this however you can verify this first hand.

The vehicle is amazing I took it on the Corinthian road and it was like driving a jet on 4 wheels. I have mentioned in my previous posts but I shall mention it again, on the way back I found a Tuscon doing say about 40km/hr and I gave him the pass signal to which he revved his Tuscon well he didnt know is that i was in the beast I revved the beast up and zoom passed him before he could have said "Hyundai", further on we saw eye to eye at a turn where I had to slow down to check the lower gears at high inclination/gradient. The look on the Tuscon guys face was "Paisa wasool" for the Safari Dicor 2.2L he couldn't come to terms with what passed him at that speed.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:52   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
hey Samurai,

Actually it is a very simple question to answer.

If you are not sure whether you need a 4x4, then you don't need it. The 4WD is usually needed for people who exactly know why they need it. If you are not planning to do off-roading, you don't need it. So, don't bother stretching your budget for it.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:23   #148
BHPian

Samurai,

Sorry to bother you again with my other silly question. As I have booked 3.0 EX 4x2 last month, should I go with 3.0 or 2.2. But I can not stretch my budget on 2.2 EX 4x2 (as I worked out the budget base don discounts).

so, If I go for 2.2 LX 4x2 trip what difference it makes. I think I can live with Rear Demister and Roof mounted A/C, but not sure about the engine immobilizer can it be fitted outside?

I can put ICE, Fogs, Art Leather outside which would improve the trucks feature.

please advice
Old 9th October 2007, 17:45   #149
BHPian

Hey JUDA,

I will ask about the spare wheel...but just to add my two cents...since all the print/TV ads show the current Safari with the wheel at the back chances are that any and all other new changes will be part of the Next Gen Safari V2 (2009) and beyond model.

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hey I heard a guy say that there is a problem with the Rear door rattle that these guys are working on, check if you can get some dope on this when you mingle with the biggies. This guy is the owner of the old dicor and according to his sources TATAs are modifying the design so that the rear spare wheel can go underneath the body like the Scorpio rather than make the rear door heavy which is the case at present. I dont know how much truth there is to this however you can verify this first hand.

The vehicle is amazing I took it on the Corinthian road and it was like driving a jet on 4 wheels. I have mentioned in my previous posts but I shall mention it again, on the way back I found a Tuscon doing say about 40km/hr and I gave him the pass signal to which he revved his Tuscon well he didnt know is that i was in the beast I revved the beast up and zoom passed him before he could have said "Hyundai", further on we saw eye to eye at a turn where I had to slow down to check the lower gears at high inclination/gradient. The look on the Tuscon guys face was "Paisa wasool" for the Safari Dicor 2.2L he couldn't come to terms with what passed him at that speed.
Old 9th October 2007, 19:37   #150

Hi All

Today I got to do a TD of EX Green Col. It looked Awesome!! I test drove it in a very busy Filmnagar road of HYD and added to it, the area is very hilly. So lots of ups and downs. First impression can be easily driven in city. Best part is the view. I can see the road very clearly and so feel very confident. And the other thing I i felt was the improved braking. Its much better than Dicro 3.0(I feel).

One thing on the -ve side was that it felt It was underpowered. I know that it has 140 BHP but some how I was expecting a better "PULL". I drive a verna which i felt seems far more powerful. Once I had finished the TD, I realized that the AC was truned to its MAX and I guess that could be the reason for the low power. I will be in BLR next week and will try for a TD again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed