Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 11:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any updates or still reeling under that hangover

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Anyways will be at the Taj tonight and get the lowdown from the top-dogs on delivery schedules.

Cheers,

t
Old 10th October 2007, 11:59   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
Samurai,

Sorry to bother you again with my other silly question. As I have booked 3.0 EX 4x2 last month, should I go with 3.0 or 2.2.
Considering I have not done TD of 2.2L, I am not the right person to advise. I am going for 2.2L myself, that's all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
so, If I go for 2.2 LX 4x2 trip what difference it makes. I think I can live with Rear Demister and Roof mounted A/C, but not sure about the engine immobilizer can it be fitted outside?

I can put ICE, Fogs, Art Leather outside which would improve the trucks feature.

please advice
LX is a bare bones model. If you are OK with it, and it fits into your budget, then it should be fine. Frankly it is a matter of personal taste and budget.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:00   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Went over to a TATA dealer in Bangalore to see the 2.2. They have a Cycus Grey EX model on display and I was absolutely bowled over by the sheer road presence and looks! Both my wife and I looked at each other and mouthed a determined 'Yes'!

Anyway, some thoughts and questions :-) I have tried to factor in all the answers posted earlier but do forgive me for any repeats. I am keen to get some info prior to my planned TD over the weekend. Need it to budget the total cost!!

QUESTION 1.
Our usage will be limited to about 500km in Bangalore city with a few highway jaunts thrown in (maybe 2 per year?). Do I definitely need to change tyres from the stock tubed (for LX) Bridgestone Duellers 235/70/R16? I got some prices from Bangalore tyre dealers and the extra costs involved (after exchange) in switching to say, Michelin Latitude Tour HPs are Rs. 14,000 (for 235/70/R16) and Rs. 23,000 (for 255/65/R16).

QUESTION 2.
I definitely don't need 4X4 and can't afford it anyway. So should I go for the EX 4X2 or the LX?

Bangalore OTR prices (with extended warranty of 24+24 months) are Rs. 850,893 for the LX (only 4X2 available) and Rs. 9,90,666 for the EX (4X2). Thus the difference is a staggering Rs. 1,50,000!

From poring over the specs these seem to be the differences and my comments against each:

A. Roof mounted rear AC - didn't quite like the looks and think it makes the spacious interior/greenhouse effect look quite cramped; Also not sure about the dual front and rear throws. Do I really want cold hair directly on my thinning hair :-)?
B. Front and rear fog lamps - Will consider fixing to the LX if TATA sells it at a reasonable price. Are the front fogs really useful or merely ornamental?
C. Beige interiors (EX) as opposed to gray (LX). They had a new 3.0 being delivered so could compare both the interiors. Frankly liked the gray finish better as it suits the image much more. Beige is a fad as of now and is better suited to the cleaner environs of the West. Here in Bangalore, if I drive for a month with the windows down, the beige will turn to brown! It DOES make the interior look more airier and 'lighter' though. General quality of plastics bits/dash/door inserts etc is exactly the same and definitely lower than the current crop of sedans/SUVs. But can live with that.
C. CD/MP3 Player - didn't like the EX stock HU and am more than prepared to spend on a better HU and 4/6 speakers for a LX.
D. Electrically operated fuel flap - Salesman was unsure on this: I assume that the LX will come with a manually operated (lever) filler cap? Or is it a key-operated cap? Anyway, I feel with the cheats at nearly all Bangalore petrol bunks, it is essential anyway to stand right next to the attendant when filling up fuel with one's eyes glued to the meter!
E. Remote locking - Salesman was unsure on this: I assume LX comes with key-operated central locking; only thing to be added is the keyless feature for a nominal cost.
F. Height adjustable driver's seat - Probably not needed as I am about 5' 11" and could see quite well. Also the steering wheel is adjustable for rake (I think) so should not be an issue.
G. Rear wash/wipe/demister - Think TATA are unduly skimping here - they should have offered at least the wiper feature anyhow on the LX. But not a showstopper. Can we buy aftermarket elements to do the same job? Also does the relatively high-mounted vertical rear glass need a wiper except in heavy rain? Won't a careful cleaning and treatment of the glass with a specialized liquid solve the issue before any highway etc drives? Also, can one really see a lot through the IRVM given the spare wheel :-)?
H. Clock missing on LX: Simple, take left hand of steering and look at the time :-)
I. Tubeless tyres - Will probably change (depending on the expert views above) but tubed tyres should be good enough anyway.
J. Immobilizer - Can I fit aftermarket and/or can I accomplish almost the same with a reputed gearlock etc?
K. Front grill only in gray - Can retrofit EX grill if I want to.
L. Center console in silver as opposed to cubic printed - can live with same.
M. BUMPERS & SIDE CLADDING - This is up for discussion as of now. We are aiming for a Quartz Black LX so will the grey look better or should we paint the same from the dealer. I feel that the body coloured ones make the vehicle 'too black' and increases the pain everytime some nut in a Sumo/Indica/bike/auto scratches it. Have asked for a estimate but believe (from past T-BHP posts) that it will be about 12 to 15k from any Bangalore TATA dealer.

So to bring the LX near to the EX's specs and as per my personal calculations/preferences, I will need to spend approximately the following:

A. 5k for remote keyless locking; (Present on EX);
B. 5k (?) for a good gearlock; (May have opted for on EX itself - I park on unguarded road while at office);
C. 15k for a reasonable HU + 4/6 speakers; (May have opted for on EX too - did not like the looks of the HU);
D. 15k for painting body cladding/ORVMs/bumpers (Present on EX);
E. 5k. Sunfilm - 3M/Llumar brand only (Would have need for EX too)

So total of around 30k from A, B, C & E above. Is paying 150k over the LX for the EX (4X2) worth it then?

Comments please?!
ItWasntMe

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th October 2007 at 12:20. Reason: Typo
Old 10th October 2007, 12:03   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Is this open to other BHPians too joining the TD, if yes, please provide time/location, thanks.

Sorry, I missed this post. Of course all are welcome. I'll let you know the time in a while, the place is most likely Manipal Motors on Sankey Road, Guttahalli.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

If you dont need the additional features, you dont need to pay and go for the LX, you will be able to get the rest of the needed accessories done from outside but the most important IMO is the immobilizer which cannot be fitted from outside since it has to work with the ECU, although you might be able to find a lot of high end security devices in the market.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:12   #156
Team-BHP Support

I would have considered LX if it had 4x4, but I ain't buying no SUV with no 4x4, capice?
Old 10th October 2007, 12:13   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Has anyone noticed that the published length of the 3.0 was 4810mm while that of the 2.2 is 4650mm. For some reason, the spare wheel has not been included in the overall length. Does this mean that TATA are actively considering a V2 of the 2.2 ( ) with a modified rear floor/door?

Or is only a typo? The printed brochures show 4650mm in the table of specifications but 4810mm in the illustration at the bottom of the page!

ItWasntMe

Quote:
Hey JUDA,

I will ask about the spare wheel...but just to add my two cents...since all the print/TV ads show the current Safari with the wheel at the back chances are that any and all other new changes will be part of the Next Gen Safari V2 (2009) and beyond model.

t
In an ideal world I have to fully agree with you Samurai! But fact is that TATA will probably never offer 4X4 in the LX as it will eat away at both the EX and VX's sales. And I am loathe to pay a premium of 243k between the LX and the EX 4X4 for the precious few times I will use the feature!

But considering my limited offroad use and limited budget, I will definitely be forced to go for the 4X2s. The way I console myself is that at least the traction and gradeability will be much better than any sedan although the sheer pavement-crumbling weight is definitely a limiting factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I would have considered LX if it had 4x4, but I ain't buying no SUV with no 4x4, capice?

Last edited by Zappo : 10th October 2007 at 14:02. Reason: merged
Old 10th October 2007, 13:17   #158
BHPian

ItWasntMe

E. Remote locking - Salesman was unsure on this: I assume LX comes with key-operated central locking; only thing to be added is the keyless feature for a nominal cost.

just got off from the phone with my dealer contact, its confirmed that LX Trim comes with manual central locking, so keyless entry is possible.

J. Immobilizer - Can I fit aftermarket and/or can I accomplish almost the same with a reputed gearlock etc?

my contact says, there seems a possibility to have this for an approx cost of 8 - 10K, as some other customers are also asking for the same. however, he will give me the confirmation after he checks with the workshop. I think, it this can be done, its a good choice to to opt, I am now more inclined towards LX 2.2 Trim, so moving the booking amount paid for 3.0 latest by tomorrow.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th October 2007 at 14:04. Reason: Changed Gear-Lock point with Immobilizer
Old 10th October 2007, 13:42   #159
BHPian

Any discounts news in Diwali for 2.2L?

Gentlemen, as we all are interacting with Dealers, Sales guys fortunate few are with Tata bosses too [Turby you listening], any news on what the sales strategy would be on Diwali, any discounts sighting the Scorpio2.2 release at that time? I am sure the sales guys wont speak however any insider news on this? Would be interesting as all the dealers till last week did not acknowledge the LX been released however now they say that it is released but would be delivered near Diwali. I had a feeling that Tata's are going to use the LX as a trump card to beat the Scorpio 2.2L at the pricing game! Your thoughts?
Old 10th October 2007, 14:00   #160
BHPian

The Pune Launch!!!

Ok have just slumbered out of bed and yes head feels like a ton of bricks.

So there was smoke, music and "babes" but no delivery date yet. They threw the Dussera Delivery googly my way which was shot over the fence for six by showing them the Toyota Dealers number on my fast dial key.

Coming more to the point last night was ok. A short presentation about all the benefits of the 2.2 and pretty much the same as the brochure.

One interesting point made by the TATA guy was that the 3.0 will remain as an option in the future on a made to order basis.

No talk of the spare wheel going away under the body. In fact in all the print material the "NEW" Wheel cover is an important element stuck on to the "4X4" emblem. So if they were planning to do away with it as some people are suggesting why would they make it such a big deal???

Will keep you guys posted as things develop.

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Do you have any updates or still reeling under that hangover
Old 10th October 2007, 14:08   #161
BHPian

[quote=itwasntme;590325]Guys,

Went over to a TATA dealer in Bangalore to see the 2.2. They have a Cycus Grey EX model on display and I was absolutely bowled over by the sheer road presence and looks! Both my wife and I looked at each other and mouthed a determined 'Yes'!

Anyway, some thoughts and questions :-) I have tried to factor in all the answers posted earlier but do forgive me for any repeats. I am keen to get some info prior to my planned TD over the weekend. Need it to budget the total cost!!

QUESTION 1.
Our usage will be limited to about 500km in Bangalore city with a few highway jaunts thrown in (maybe 2 per year?). Do I definitely need to change tyres from the stock tubed (for LX) Bridgestone Duellers 235/70/R16? I got some prices from Bangalore tyre dealers and the extra costs involved (after exchange) in switching to say, Michelin Latitude Tour HPs are Rs. 14,000 (for 235/70/R16) and Rs. 23,000 (for 255/65/R16).

QUESTION 2.
I definitely don't need 4X4 and can't afford it anyway. So should I go for the EX 4X2 or the LX?

Bangalore OTR prices (with extended warranty of 24+24 months) are Rs. 850,893 for the LX (only 4X2 available) and Rs. 9,90,666 for the EX (4X2). Thus the difference is a staggering Rs. 1,50,000!

Hello itwasntme,
You are perfectly right. I own a Dicor Ex and find that LX is better value for money. Do not waste money on alloys and stuff like that. The original wheels are very good and strong and quite good looking. The back AC is not an absolute necessity - go for a darker sun film.
Also, in India ( in Bangalore) you do not need the rear demister offered on EX. Please do not get carried away by others. The grey interiors are better suited for India.
The only thing you should consider is tubeless tyres for safety. But, I presume the 2.2 comes with tubeless even in LX. Otherwise, exchanging the Duellers for tubeless Duellers will cost only 5000 bucks.
Do not try to retrofit anything as much as possible, you will not need immobilizer, back AC etc.
Old 10th October 2007, 15:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

I didnt get their strategy, they have the vehicles to sell in-stock, already launched, but will not sell ...why ???

Quote:
So there was smoke, music and "babes" but no delivery date yet. They threw the Dussera Delivery googly my way which was shot over the fence for six by showing them the Toyota Dealers number on my fast dial key.
I can understand the AC part but since when has India become so safe that people dont want to get an Immobilizer, IMO all cars should have it. You need to protect your investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Do not try to retrofit anything as much as possible, you will not need immobilizer, back AC etc.

Last edited by dadu : 10th October 2007 at 15:04.
Old 10th October 2007, 15:16   #163
Senior - BHPian

I paid 4.5 k for upgrade to bridgestone duellers tubeless and the michilens were quoted for 6 k
Old 10th October 2007, 15:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I paid 4.5 k for upgrade to bridgestone duellers tubeless and the michilens were quoted for 6 k
You mean, u had Apollo's and got them exchanged for Bridgestone Duellers ?? Or am i missing something here??

Suman
I'm waiting for your Safari 2.2 TD report.

Last edited by kpzen : 10th October 2007 at 15:23.
Old 10th October 2007, 15:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
You mean, u had Apollo's and got them exchanged for Bridgestone Duellers ?? Or am i missing something here??
I think he got himself a 3.0L so he would have got Tubed tyres which he upgraded to tubeless....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Suman
I'm waiting for your Safari 2.2 TD report.
Ya, am waiting myself - somehow not motivated enought yet!

Actually I thought Doctorkats posted a pretty comprehensive picture so was dragging my feet - but one of these days I guess!

Last edited by suman : 10th October 2007 at 15:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks