Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 20:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Doc

Those rubber dampers are not to cut out door rattles - they WILL however cut down wind noise at higher speeds. I've been looking to do something like this for the wind noise, now its a straight Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V from the 2.2!!!
Hey meee tooo..This is really good thing
Old 6th October 2007, 21:27   #62
BHPian

found something
The Hindu : Business : Tata Motors unveils Safari variants
Three variants of new Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT are priced between Rs. 7.33 lakh and Rs. 10.38 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) with an enhanced warranty of two years or 75,000 km. However, the company will continue to sell Safari’s earlier entry level diesel model which is available at Rs. 6.47 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). In 2006-07, Tata Motors sold nearly 16,000 units of Safari.
Old 6th October 2007, 22:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They werent.
Wooobooyyy.... Thanks then. I think I luckily got to drive a rare unrestricted example then. Time to go to the friend's house again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Allegedly.. One of the 3.0 ltr DICORS I have seen in Pune does 160 on Expressway with a/c on effortlessly and well planted on the tarmac @2600rpm.
Aha...!!

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 6th October 2007 at 22:15.
Old 6th October 2007, 22:34   #64
BHPian

Both of us have DICOR(Amritpal started driving one when he was in 8th std) won't be exchanging our 3.0L, we are seriously thinking about Italian job.

but new one is really good, i must say worth every penny.

Like this....?
[img=http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1669/dsc02299zp0.th.jpg]
sir it doesn't mean by owning 4x4 you'll never get stuck.
Old 6th October 2007, 23:04   #65
BHPian

Guys just checked why there is not door rattle in 2.2 and the good news is, all of us 3L guys can also get this correction for a little cost.

There are 3 big rubber/sponge pieces on the doors at the pressure points.

1.) The start point of door where the door meets the fender
2.) The top point at middle of the roof rails, where the front and rear door meets.

These three pieces keep the doors intact and no rattle. Isn't that a good news?

I will get one fixed as soon as these guys get this in stock...
Old 6th October 2007, 23:31   #66
Team-BHP Support

But rajeev will these rubber pieces last? I doubt it. Tata should device some permanent solution for this log reported problem. Fixing up rubber stoppers and gomets sound like quick fix solution.

Tatas did that in Indica range as well. There were some people who use to complain about the rattling of the tailgate and the parcel shelf. So they fixed three rubber pieces. two big chunks on the tailgate door, just below the glass, at the two ends and one wedge shaped piece at the center of the door. All these pieces seat flush against the parcel shelf and all rattles vanish.

Unfortunately these pieces wear off pretty soon and then you have to apply your own solutions like cutting thick thermacol pieces and pasting them on the rubber pieces. And you have to keep doing that from time to time as the thermacol pieces also keep wearing off at regular intervals.
Old 7th October 2007, 00:41   #67
Team-BHP Support

Threads merged.

Two test drive threads have been merged now. Please carry on with all your debates on Safari 2.2 here. The '2.2 Released' thread is now being locked as it has served its purpose. We will do some clean up on that thread and may migrate some posts here at a later stage.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th October 2007 at 00:43.
Old 7th October 2007, 01:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Wooobooyyy.... Thanks then. I think I luckily got to drive a rare unrestricted example then. Time to go to the friend's house again
Does your friend own a factory in Ludhiana? If yes, then its a diff issue. It is also a diff issue if your friend is a TASS or a TASC or a relative of one - there are ways of removing the restriction.

But no - none of the domestic market vehicles came unrestricted. However, we digress...let this be a 3.0 thread.
Old 7th October 2007, 02:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
Like this....?
@overdose:
we were discussing the usefullness of clutch travel while off-roading.
no one here is claiming that owning a 4x4 means you never get stuck.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:06   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
@overdose:
we were discussing the usefullness of clutch travel while off-roading.
no one here is claiming that owning a 4x4 means you never get stuck.

oops my bad, i thought you meant that may.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:13   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Have any of you got a chance to take a look at the LX? Is the body cladding and bumpers colour same as that on the grill (i mean, handsome grey, or the earlier dull gray itself)?
I did not see lx but i asked the dealer and ive got it confirmed the cladding is unpainted and the interiors are gray.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

I would be more interested to know if the turbo engagement is smoother or comes with a bang like a kick in the a$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What I've noticed is that cars with huge lag feel really fast when the turbo hits. So, to an agressive driver, it feels fast but is a pain in the city traffic. My Eclipse turbo was just like that.

Likewise, a car with a flat torque curve will actually feel slow because power delivery is linear. No kick in the pants but just a steady surge. anyway, at the end of the day the numbers dont lie.
Doesnt matter, most of us use it in the city and not the racetracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Safari 3.0 Dicor - 0 - 100 - 19secs
Safari 2.2 Dicor - 0 - 100 - 15secs(claimed by Tata)

4 secs faster, surely 2.2 is the way to go no matter what people say on this forum, i would not want to buy a car with a engine which is being phased out from the car.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
Both of us have DICOR(Amritpal started driving one when he was in 8th std) won't be exchanging our 3.0L, we are seriously thinking about Italian job.

but new one is really good, i must say worth every penny.

Like this....?
Even landrovers get stuck,but whats more shameful is owning a beast with those oversized tyres and bling tyres and the 4X2 SUV gets stuck at a easy place where even normal jeeps can cross.
Old 7th October 2007, 15:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

drove teh 2.2 on Sat for about 15 kms on a variety of surfaces/traffic conditions. here is, what is IMHO an unbiased view:

Engine- all i can say is that the initial impression is DAYUM!!!! this is one smooooth engine! good tractability lower down, NVH reduced by at least 50% and it is one rev happy mutha!

in traffic, this car is a hoot to drive. moreover, TATA has changed the positioning of the pedals so that the brake pedal is more to the center and the clutch is closer to the corner of the footwell. this has resulted in a more "normal" feet placement, but results in your left log fouling against the center console. then again, i am on the taller side and others may not face this problem.

out on an open stretch on necklace road and i decided to give this baby some stick. she really pulled vigourously till about 60k on 2nd. then allof a sudden, there was a distinct flat spot in the power delivery, as though the engine is being starved or air/fuel(?). then, the moment the revs crossed 3k, the beast just took off again. While the TD exec was giving gyaan about how this is a TD vehicle and these problems will be sorted out in time, I feel that the cause is due to the calibration of the VGT. Tata has given the car terrific low end and a decent top end, but inthe process, it has compromised the mid range grunt.

the ride is the same as the 3.0, and quite frankly, it found it to be a little jiggly over bad roads compared to earlier. guess that this could be due to the lower weight. another thing i noticed- and I dont know if this is for real or my imagination- but I think that tata has reduced the guage of the steel fo rthis car. the doors closed with a little less"thunk" and the overall feel of the car seemed to be a tad more tinny....time will tell.

so overall, I think that the 2.2 is a HUGE step forward for TM in terms of the engine. the LX is avaiable at launch itself and with NO other changes. even the tyres are tube type in the LX. thebest vft, IMHo is the EX and the center console colour goes real well with the beige trim.
the quality of the plastics remains unchanged!

also went to the stock yard of the dealer where i saw about 30 2.2s that had been offloaded. talked to some mechs there and they were scratching theri heads for PDI- Saab, yeh gaadi ki koi informetion nahin hai abhi tak. but, we will learn soon- so initial customers, watch out!!!! also, some of the 2.2s were leaking engine oil quite badly and one TD car9that was the initial TD car that had been replaced with teh one I drove) wa sbeing worked on furiously by some mechs- I asked them what happened to the car and he mentioned that during a test drive, one customer redlined the car in 2nd gear and a gasket blew!!!

so i guess, in timehonoured tata tradition, there will be some initial niggles here as well.

but all in all, a major step forward.

my two paise!!

cheers
Old 7th October 2007, 15:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but someone was complaining that there is much more noise above 100 in the 2.2 as compared to the 3.0??
its true askhay, I just came back from TD and while I was driving in Nice Corridor, I could feel the noice even when the speedo was at 80+. detailed TD report will come shortly :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks