Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 16:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

so overall, I think that the 2.2 is a HUGE step forward for TM in terms of the engine. the LX is avaiable at launch itself and with NO other changes. even the tyres are tube type in the LX.
my two paise!!

cheers
hey himanshu

which dealer said that bro? concorde and malik both told me no lx for atleast the intial few days..

offtopic : any of the hyd guys when for the safari launch yest nite?
Old 7th October 2007, 16:47   #77
KVS
BHPian

I have done TD of 2.2L (VX 4X4) on Saturday. This TD is compared to 3.0L (Ex 4X2) TD which I did about 2 weeks back.

Here are my two cents..
  1. As everyone mentioned the NVH levels are very low. My Indica makes more noise the 2.2L
  2. 2.2L has leaner look
  3. I drove in the city (peak traffic time). I absolutely did not have any problem in navigating. It is as easy as any small car.
  4. Could not drive beyond 3rd gear. It was enough to give the required power.
  5. I noticed hissing sound when accelerated, especially climbing on a hill.
  6. Breaking is much better compared to 3.0L (could be because of ABS). I could do the corners very well, with some good speed.
  7. It is easier to drive in city compared to 3.0L. I do not about the high way ride comfort. I did not drive any of these vehicles on the high way.
  8. Found clutch a bit hard both in 2.2L and 3.0L. 2.2 is slight better
  9. I had difficulty in seating my knees were hitting the steering column. It is not very comfortable. I had the same problem in Innova also.
  10. Liked the reverse video system.Getting into First gear was a real problem (Could be problem with the TD vehicle)
Any one noticed the hissing sound while accelerating? The guy accompanied did not have any answers to that sound.

I am planning to book either EX 4X4 or VX 4X4 soon

My questions:
  1. Can we get ABS and reverse video fixed on EX version? Will it be as good as factory fitting?
  2. How much it costs?
  3. Any dealer offering any discounts or deals with 2.2L? No discount or freebies from the dealer in Pune.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any one noticed the hissing sound while accelerating? The guy accompanied did not have any answers to that sound.
Thats the sound of the BOV
  1. Can we get ABS and reverse video fixed on EX version? Will it be as good as factory fitting? ABS - No, Reverse Guide - Yes
  2. How much it costs? 12k
  3. Any dealer offering any discounts or deals with 2.2L? No discount or freebies from the dealer in Pune. Not yet.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats the sound of the BOV.
Yes, as much as your Getz CRDi is on the roads. BUSA, please don't spread disinformation. The Safari doesn't have a BOV.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

@ KVS you're probably referring to the turbo whistle. Very addictive, that sound.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

I had gone for a test driver but the dealership had closed down for the day. Went at 5, the dealership closes at 4, since its a sunday.

First Impressions : -

The interiors looks nice, beige treatment quite well done.

The new grille is good.

The leather seemed of better then ok quality.

Jump Seats too puny for passengers.

LCDs a neat touch.

Radically Designed Spare wheel aint as bad as its made out to be.

Tyres are Bridgestone Dueler HT

Rear Mirrors dont seem to fold.

More about the car with a test drive tomorrow.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:36   #82
BHPian

@BUSA - is that TD vehicle the new cycus grey colour?
Old 7th October 2007, 19:42   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
@BUSA - is that TD vehicle the new cycus grey colour?
Yes, thats a 2.2 VTT VX 4x4 as a test drive vehicle.
Old 7th October 2007, 19:44   #84
BHPian

Hi KVS,

Nice feedback! I also did a TD of a VX 4X2 in Pune yesterday. The vehicle I drove had a very soft clutch and had no problems changing gears, including the 1st.

I have booked a VX 4X4 myself so am hoping to get the gearbox with no problems.

On a lighter note going by all the different TD reports mushrooming here it seems Tata has a few Sub-Variants within the LX, EX and VX range. (Due to inconsistencies on the assembly line!!!)

Looks like it's all pot luck!!!

Also just tell me that the vehicle you TD'ed was not a Silver VX.

turby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
I have done TD of 2.2L (VX 4X4) on Saturday. This TD is compared to 3.0L (Ex 4X2) TD which I did about 2 weeks back.

Here are my two cents..
  1. As everyone mentioned the NVH levels are very low. My Indica makes more noise the 2.2L
  2. 2.2L has leaner look
  3. I drove in the city (peak traffic time). I absolutely did not have any problem in navigating. It is as easy as any small car.
  4. Could not drive beyond 3rd gear. It was enough to give the required power.
  5. I noticed hissing sound when accelerated, especially climbing on a hill.
  6. Breaking is much better compared to 3.0L (could be because of ABS). I could do the corners very well, with some good speed.
  7. It is easier to drive in city compared to 3.0L. I do not about the high way ride comfort. I did not drive any of these vehicles on the high way.
  8. Found clutch a bit hard both in 2.2L and 3.0L. 2.2 is slight better
  9. I had difficulty in seating my knees were hitting the steering column. It is not very comfortable. I had the same problem in Innova also.
  10. Liked the reverse video system.Getting into First gear was a real problem (Could be problem with the TD vehicle)

I am planning to book either EX 4X4 or VX 4X4 soon

My questions:
  1. Can we get ABS and reverse video fixed on EX version? Will it be as good as factory fitting?
  2. How much it costs?
  3. Any dealer offering any discounts or deals with 2.2L? No discount or freebies from the dealer in Pune.
Old 7th October 2007, 20:30   #85
BHPian

Hello All!

Here is a feel of what I have experienced so far:

Test Drive – Comparation Report (Purely based on my exp on 3.0 and 2.2 TD)

From the Looks (exteriors and interiors) point for view, I feel both look equally handsome, macho and superb

Biege interiors looks brighter than the grey interiors, however the light tone colors does threaten to get dirty sooner than grey

I liked the instrument panel of the 3.0, as it looks classy especially during night time, and the 2.2’ is more like India’s (from my view point) and did not liked it much

I looked both the grill’s of the 3.0 and 2.2 and I am just fine with either of them.

The spare wheel cover of the 3.0 is way better looking than the new one on the 2.2, I also feel that it’s an added cause of rattles (not on the smooth tar mac’s) but on the roads which are dirt, this is happening in spite of having the new rubber stoppers on the tail gate / back door.

The chilling and air throw is much better on the 2.2). Though the fan becomes noisy as you increase the speed of AC
No changes in the jump seats and the plastic quality remains unchanged

On the road:

I have driven a 3.0 EX 4x2 for nearly 80km in TD (last week) and around 60 odd km of 2.2 EX 4x2 (today)

From my limited experience I feel that the 2.2 engine is definitely more silent than the 3.0

In cabin engine NVH is hardly felt, but the wind noise creeps in at 80+ in 2.2l.

As few mentioned here already I did not face the first gear shift problem in the TD vehicle that I have driven.

play of Clutch is as soft as the 3.0 but I still it can be improved

Both the 3.0 and the 2.2 are very good and smooth cruisers
Without a doubt the 3.0 pulls much better on the highway than the 2.2

The power steering on the 2.2 seems smoother and more responsive almost similar to my Ford
I could not go beyond 140+ and 3000RPM, not sure it was my driving style [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT] The engine however, at that speed is smooth as silk.
Surpisingly the 3.0 feels more powerful than the 2.2 at higher speeds

Braking quality seems to be improved in 2.2 compared to 3.0 (I am feeling this as the 3.0 TD vehicle was old one and 2.2 was brand new??)

The last 2.2 I drove had no rattles at all on the tail gate and less noise from the door trims.
The suspension on the 2.2 seems softer and more silent over pot holes and bumps than the 3.0, maybe because these were brand new vehicles.

Now that I have booked the 3.0 EX trim (which I like in either 3.0 or 2.2L), with the launch of 2.2, I am confused. Should I go for 3.0 EX trim or 2.2 LX trim. The reason behind this is that I had negotiated good deals on 3.0 much before the 2.2 launch and now if I go for 2.2 I am not going to get any deals and have to pay more from my pocket which is out of my budget.

At the same time, I am also worried about the post sale service of 3.0 as its getting discontinued. So, experts I am looking for your help here through your expert suggestions and opinions, so that I can make a final call this week.
Old 7th October 2007, 21:29   #86
BHPian

and one more thing i forgot to mention is that temperature of 2.2L peaks at half with A.C on but where as 3L rest at quarter.
Old 7th October 2007, 21:30   #87
BHPian

[quote=KVS;587072]I have done TD of 2.2L (VX 4X4) on Saturday. This TD is compared to 3.0L (Ex 4X2) TD which I did about 2 weeks back.
  1. I noticed hissing sound when accelerated, especially climbing on a hill.

Hi KVS

I have exprienced the same only when the RPM is just between 1800 and 2000. This was also mentioned earlier by someone else in the same thread.

Not sure of answer though. I am not an expert on this matter.
Old 7th October 2007, 23:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
its true askhay, I just came back from TD and while I was driving in Nice Corridor, I could feel the noice even when the speedo was at 80+. detailed TD report will come shortly :-)

NICE corridor is quite noisy as is because of wind. I have experienced high wind noise in OHC, Innova, Pajero and Safari 3.0 on that stretch.
Old 7th October 2007, 23:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Hi KVS,
Nice feedback! I also did a TD of a VX 4X2 in Pune yesterday. The vehicle I drove had a very soft clutch and had no problems changing gears, including the 1st.

I have booked a VX 4X4 myself so am hoping to get the gearbox with no problems.
When I TD'ed Safari 3L a couple of months back, I found the clutch to be quite hard in EX 4X4. The next day, they brought VX 4X2 and the clutch was distinctly softer. The sales guy was saying that 4X4 clutch is always harder than 4X2. I don't know if there is any truth in that statement. May be someone can clarify.
Old 8th October 2007, 09:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Delivery seems to be starting at Nawab motors NOIDA

this morning,while on my way to office which passes in front of the stockyard of Nawab Motors

saw 2 huge trucks unloading the new Safari 2.2 L

seems that Nawab Motors will be starting delivering the beast from today(cos sometimes they dont even do PDI)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed