Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 09:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Personally i was also waiting for the 2.2 Dicor but was disappointed both by the looks and the drive.
Now im waiting for the Mahindra Eagle 2.2
Any clue when will Mahindra bring this out?
Old 8th October 2007, 09:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey himanshu

which dealer said that bro? concorde and malik both told me no lx for atleast the intial few days..

offtopic : any of the hyd guys when for the safari launch yest nite?

no dealer said that mate!! I saw an LX 2.2 in teh stock yard(Quartz black) of Autofin- this is in their workshop at bowenpally.

started the engine to be sure it was the 2.2 of course, it had the new face, new bum (radically des.......) and the new dials. rest was standard LX
Old 8th October 2007, 09:40   #93
BHPian

I got to test drive the truck yesterday. It was the first time i was driving the safari. the points worth mentioning here are

1. HUGE body roll (must be because of the soft suspension).
2. Front seats are very spacious and comfortable.
3. Rear seats, though comfortable, were a bit cramped!
4. Superb cooling from the subros A/c.
5. Decent acceleration, though it didnt feel like it had 140bhp under the hood.
6. Clutch had a huge travel! is in common in all the safaris?
7. i could still feel the turbo lag. didnt feel like it had a vgt!
Old 8th October 2007, 10:05   #94
Team-BHP Support

People who are TDing the Safari 2.2L, please mention whether you have prior experience driving diesel cars or big SUVs or even older Safari. I am seeing too much conflict in reports. Some say huge body roll, while some say reduced body roll. Some say stable at 150, while some say out of control at 150. Some say amazing performance, while some say they didn't feel the 140hp.

Please keep in mind you are driving a 2200Kg tall vehicle with ladder chassis. Therefore consider bhp to weight ratio, higher CG, flexibility of the chassis, etc. Don't apply sedan experience to a SUV. Therefore kindly mention your prior experience or lack of it with similar sized vehicle before passing judgement. Lots of people take Team-BHP TD reports very seriously, let's be careful in what we say and let's be fair.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2007, 10:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

What were your expectations at the first place, only the engine was supposed to change, which did.

What were the shortcomings according to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Personally i was also waiting for the 2.2 Dicor but was disappointed both by the looks and the drive.
Now im waiting for the Mahindra Eagle 2.2
Any clue when will Mahindra bring this out?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:21   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
People who are TDing the Safari 2.2L, please mention whether you have prior experience driving diesel cars or big SUVs or even older Safari. I am seeing too much conflict in reports. Some say huge body roll, while some say reduced body roll. Some say stable at 150, while some say out of control at 150. Some say amazing performance, while some say they didn't feel the 140hp.

Please keep in mind you are driving a 2200Kg tall vehicle with ladder chassis. Therefore consider bhp to weight ratio, higher CG, flexibility of the chassis, etc. Don't apply sedan experience to a SUV. Therefore kindly mention your prior experience or lack of it with similar sized vehicle before passing judgement. Lots of people take Team-BHP TD reports very seriously, let's be careful in what we say and let's be fair.
yes, you are very right, people who drive safari for first time tend to get scared by body roll, but new one has much reduced roll( because of less engine weight) and car was stable even at 150 ( amrit stayed at 150 for quite a while). yep performance is good considering a SUV but 138 horses are pretty shy. you can buy one if you are not comfortable noise and vibration levels, if you can live with them then also buy performance box which boost torque to 372Nm and power to 142 bhp (not psi).
Old 8th October 2007, 11:03   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance Box for Safari 2.2?

Hi Overdose,

Could you or any of the Safari experts (Steeroid!) please clarify on this performance box for the 3.0 or 2.2?

Is it a Pete's type box or similar? Or is it a ECU remap? Has it been formally reviewed on T-BHP? Prices in Bangalore?

Sorry: too many questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
yes, you are very right, people who drive safari for first time tend to get scared by body roll, but new one has much reduced roll( because of less engine weight) and car was stable even at 150 ( amrit stayed at 150 for quite a while). yep performance is good considering a SUV but 138 horses are pretty shy. you can buy one if you are not comfortable noise and vibration levels, if you can live with them then also buy performance box which boost torque to 372Nm and power to 142 bhp (not psi).
Old 8th October 2007, 11:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I'd go with Doctorkats review since he owns the 3.0L- and Scary Skulls & Overdose14, they seem to have driven the 3.0L as well
Old 8th October 2007, 11:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
When I TD'ed Safari 3L a couple of months back, I found the clutch to be quite hard in EX 4X4. The next day, they brought VX 4X2 and the clutch was distinctly softer. The sales guy was saying that 4X4 clutch is always harder than 4X2. I don't know if there is any truth in that statement. May be someone can clarify.
Even when I Test Drove EX 2.2L last, Clutch was very hard, and sales guy said it as problem with the TD vehicle, so we went to showroom and checked the clutch for VX which was softer that the TD vehicle.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:11   #100
Team-BHP Support

I was hoping for a TD tomorrow. But my local dealer called and gave some bad news. Since the local office is a branch office for this dealer, Tata Motors has insisted on initial launches in bigger cities like Mangalore and Hassan, pushing the local launch to 17th or later. So I won't get to TD at least 10 days. I can go to Mangalore, but what's the fun in TDing in a city.

Meanwhile I got the OTR price for EX 4x4, it is 10.91L in here.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:19   #101
Senior - BHPian

Performance box is available for the 3.0 with a claimed increase of 24 bhp on output and 75 nm on torque.

Please check with v1p3r for details - he was involved in testing the box on various test mules. Lets keep this thread clean of 3.0 stuff.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:21   #102
BHPian

Help plssssssssssssssssssssss

On Sept 23 07 I have the 3.0 EX trim (which I like in 3.0), with the launch of 2.2, I am confused. Should I go for 3.0 EX trim or 2.2 LX trim. The reason behind this is that I had negotiated good deals on 3.0 much before the 2.2 launch and now if I go for 2.2 I am not going to get any deals and have to pay more from my pocket which is out of my budget.

At the same time, I am also worried about the post sale service of 3.0 as its getting discontinued. So, experts I am looking for your help here through your expert suggestions and opinions, so that I can make a final call this week.

I have posted my TD exp on both 3.0 on 2.2 in the same thread. Plssssssssss Safari Owners help me here.

Thanks In Advance.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Overdose,

Could you or any of the Safari experts (Steeroid!) please clarify on this performance box for the 3.0 or 2.2?

Is it a Pete's type box or similar? Or is it a ECU remap? Has it been formally reviewed on T-BHP? Prices in Bangalore?

Sorry: too many questions!

Add-on module Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor 116Hp - xtream4x4.it
check this out and hope you get an overview about the product. its for 3.0
price?, review? no clue about these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, I'd go with Doctorkats review since he owns the 3.0L- and Scary Skulls & Overdose14, they seem to have driven the 3.0L as well
sir, i own a one and scary skulls is a good friend of mine and Amritpal, who TD 2.2 with me, is also a owner of DICOR (aug 2005).

Last edited by overdose14 : 8th October 2007 at 12:33.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:42   #104
BHPian

An he's been been a user of the oldest TDI model since his 8th class also.
So knows the whole Safari Lineage inside out.

Overdose himself is driving his second Dicor. Right?

Anyways, our combined view is that, the 2.2L is LIGHT YEARS ahead of ANY safari till now. Be it ride, control, NVH etc.
It's only down on the fun factor because of less power in midrange and thus doesnt feel powerful enough especially in 4th and 5th gear.

But still, bottom line.
End of the day, the new Safari has the Scorpio TOTALLY creamed. There is NOT EVEN one single, solitary aspect on which it can better the new Safari. I'll be amazed out my wits to see any new Scorpio now.

Those people who used to buy the Innova for NVH are again going to be facing a BIG dilemma. Only the tension free Toyota engineering or seating arrangement are going to be the factors that drive Toyota sales. Nothing else.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I am seeing too much conflict in reports
I wouldnt be too much concerned with this. Everyone's perceptions are different.
E.g. Some people will appreciate the outright accelaration times more. While others will probably give more weightage to the fact that the new 2.2 doesnt shove you back in the seat everytime you floor it, or light up its tyres everytime you are in mood of a proper burnout or power slide out of turns on full gas.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks