Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 20:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
@rk bharat - hey this info was much needed. Thanks !!!

But tell me is'nt 14.5 % quite high - I thought it shold be more like 11 % or so.
It is surely on the higher side, actually I got this offer from the sales guy. I still have to do the bargaining and shopping for loan.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:15   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai,

Some of us are TDing it this Saturday. Personally, I've driven a stock 3L Dicor for abt 250 kms some months back - remember most of its traits. Anything particular you want an opinion/comparison of when we go there?

Btw - would it possible for you to somehow join us on Saturday? We could celebrate the Safari's cause in the evening.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:07   #123
BHPian

yesterday i went to dhingra motors gurgaon for the TD of the new beast and IMHO tata's have nearly made it this time.
The new safari speaks for itself... as while i was waiting for a TD for the new 2.2 safari and there were lot of other people who were also waiting like me, out of curiousity i asked the sales guy that what all improvements have been made and whats the difference between old and the new safari,without answering he just said "aap khud hi chala ke dekh lo" so we went for the TD on 3.0 first and as it was my 1st time i was driving a Safari (though have driven all other indian suv and some imported ones also),the 1st look of the suv was in real terms MACHO and seating was also quite good and comfortable as i could easily fit in the drivers seat despite of a little extra weight (on my body ;-) ) .
when we started it seemed like a monster waking up and then there was no looking back the power was justified as it's quite a wighty vehicle but then started all kind of noises first of all there was a lot of engine noise then as soon as the vehicle crossed 80-90 the noise of wind and minor rattling noises from here and there,there was bodyroll (but definately lesser scorpio),the power steering also was a little to hard ...and these things i dont thing would appeal to an urban car owner who would use his vehicle more for city driving and lesser for off roading. however what was impressive was handling of the car above 100+ speeds,the power and the sturdyness of the vehicle.
then after laying my hands on the 3.0 we came back and it was my turn now to TD the new 2.2 ,,,, the outer look again more or less the same except for the bumper grill everything else looked same,then as soon as you step inside you can feel that tata's have really improvised the beige interiors really looked much better than the grey ones , the centre console was again not so good but almost same as 3.0, the odo was one thing which looked a little better in 3.0 .... rest i would say is history right from the first push of the pedal 2.2 went like anything,,the engine was really smooth as silk(or maybe it seemed a lot like one after driving 3.0) in real terms a refined engine, the power was impressive ,the air conditioner was really effective and chilling ,noise inside the cabin was next to none,, unlike fellow BHPians i could not hear any wind noise .... the power steering was a lot more smoother. we also went to a rough patch of road with mild to big potholes to just have a fell how the vehicle handles on those road types and it didn't disappoint me at all neither 2 of my friends feel a thing who were sitting at the rear seat .

to sum up everything all i can say is that the new 2.2 is a really wonderful package for those who want to own an suv alongwith having the luxury and having the comfort while driving in city.
Old 8th October 2007, 22:16   #124
BHPian

The NVH levels are much better than before. The 2.2 L Safari's horn cannot be heard inside the vehicle. Perfect.
The beige interiors make it more appealing to the family members as it is like an upmarket sedan.
Engine power delivery is very comfortable for city use.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:16   #125
DRC
BHPian

I went in for a TD yesterday in lunch hour.
I do not want to reiterate what is already in th forum, they are true.. Less NVH, Better power, driveability in city, etc..

A few things I noticed, which were not captured in this thread..
Yes, engaging the forst gear specially after engaging revers in near impossible.. however, the work around I found was to engage 2nd, then shift to first.. remembered the tata bus guys doing it when I used to travel in bus in childhood!!

Seating was very comfortable, however, driving position was a little akward inspite of adjustments, atleast for me.

Clutch seemed un-natural... soft in the begining, then gets hard, then suddenly sink
Old 9th October 2007, 10:01   #126
Senior - BHPian

I dont think he bargained for a discount, turbanman paid a booking amount of 50k upfront even before the actual launch IIRC.

Anyone has news on the deliveries and who amongst us will be the one(s) to post the LTO reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Turbanman,

I took the TD from Pandit Auto and it is a Green color VX 4X4. Did you get any discount from the dealer?

Regards

KVS
Old 9th October 2007, 10:12   #127
BHPian

hey guys,

has anyone heard anything about the LX version and definitive timescales for when it will arrive in showrooms. also anyone on the know as to whether the lx has gray interiors or beige interiors?

we all seem to have got it wrong so far with the LX - what with it coming in the 3.0 l guise and not the 2.2 l etc etc...

IMO it doesn't make it cost effective to have different colored plastics and trim to just separate versions of cars - i can understand leather seats for one and fabric seats for another - but different color schemes on the same car?????
Old 9th October 2007, 10:58   #128
BHPian

The LX version is available in mumbai since a week, the dealer is wasan motors, no change in price, grey interiors same as the 3.0l, tube type tyres....... all the same as the 3.0l lx except the front grill and wheel cap. Dealer claims they can give you the car in 10 days time. however no discounts on this one or any 2.2l for that matter.

hope this helps you.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:05   #129
BHPian

Okay. Having read through all the pages of the post, I have almost decided to buy the new 2.2. (I had a dream of owning safari since my school days). Need to take a test drive first.

Would need a suggestion for the variant to go for? LX or EX?

The extra bucks which I would give for EX are worth? E.g. The Mp3 players, speakers etc. The only major diff I saw was of tubeless tyres. Both Music System and Tyres and alloys can be done aftermarket as well which I think will be better than the factory fitted and will also save me some bucks.

Whats ur call on this? Any suggestion which variant I should go for and the reason why? ( I would still wait a month for the final report of on Road performance)
Old 9th October 2007, 11:14   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

LX should be available very soon here in Bangalore although Prerana Motors could not supply definite timelines.

LX definitely has the gray interior finish of the 3.0 but hopefully with the 2.2 modifications (if any, unsure)

Will update further about LX later after visiting dealer!

ItWasntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
hey guys,

has anyone heard anything about the LX version and definitive timescales for when it will arrive in showrooms. also anyone on the know as to whether the lx has gray interiors or beige interiors?

we all seem to have got it wrong so far with the LX - what with it coming in the 3.0 l guise and not the 2.2 l etc etc...

IMO it doesn't make it cost effective to have different colored plastics and trim to just separate versions of cars - i can understand leather seats for one and fabric seats for another - but different color schemes on the same car?????
Old 9th October 2007, 11:33   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Some of us are TDing it this Saturday. Personally, I've driven a stock 3L Dicor for abt 250 kms some months back - remember most of its traits. Anything particular you want an opinion/comparison of when we go there?

Btw - would it possible for you to somehow join us on Saturday? We could celebrate the Safari's cause in the evening.
No, I won't be able to make it. Just clarify one thing for me, the stock tyre size. The specs says 235/70, but overdose14 says 245/?? in his TD report. I am planning to pre-order the tyre upgrade, so I want to know for sure.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:37   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Would need a suggestion for the variant to go for? LX or EX?

The extra bucks which I would give for EX are worth? E.g. The Mp3 players, speakers etc. The only major diff I saw was of tubeless tyres.
LX doesn't have 4x4 variant, why don't you check the specs instead?

TATA Motors - Safari DICOR
Old 9th October 2007, 11:39   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Sucka,
The TD vehicle in Dhingra motors has the disconnected speedo so how did u determine the speed?did u read post#94?

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th October 2007 at 11:41.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

the situation re. the LX in hyd is as follows:

the cars are there at the dealerships and teh only change from before is the engine, front grill, rear tyre cover and the dials period!

In Hyd at least, the new lx cannot be registered for at least another week since there is some RTO approval pending. ex and vx can be registered.

@ samurai: the tyres are 235/70- tubeless in ex and vx and tube type in lx.

the tyres are bridgestone duellers h/t and hence are not suitable for serious off roading. for that, you may want to change to a/t duellers.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

To start with, you can ask about the delivery dates.

Is this open to other BHPians too joining the TD, if yes, please provide time/location, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Samurai,

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks