Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT RIPPED (Read post #94 before adding a TD report)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2 VTT RIPPED (Read post #94 before adding a TD report) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/29676-tata-safari-2-2-vtt-ripped-read-post-94-before-adding-td-report.html)

Safari has been one of my favorite vehicles from the time it was launched,dicor was sort of perfect vehicle but for me the only issue of concern was the narrow powerband and high NVH.

With the launch of new 2.2 the issues seem to be resolved with new promises of power and refinement.To check how good is the vehicle we went Dhingra motors gurgaon to try out the new safari.Here is my opinion.

Looks-
The only changes are the grill,bumper garnish and the stepney cover.The new 2.2 VTT dicor sticker is real bad looking like it has been pasted by the dealer.The new grill is available only in grey shade with chrome garnish on EX and VX variants.

Interiors-
The design of interiors is same only the color of interiors has been changed to beige on EX and VX variants.Seats are as good as ever are best in the class and even better than endeavour and pajero.

On the road-
The new engine compared to older dicor engine is far far more refined. NVH in cabin is better than even scorpio.The vehicle that we got for test drive had some issue with clutch and reverse gear.

Gears are smoother compared to the older vehicle but still they are poor.The steering feels better now and is lighter making it quite easy to manouver the SUV of this size and weight.

Performance on road is good but honestly i did not feel the 140 horses doing their duty but otherwise its very peppy to drive in traffic compared to prev gen safari the new safari has got engine of its class.The new engine now revs past 4000rpm.

I dont know if tata made any changes to ride but it rides brilliantly as ever nothing shakes her be it potholes of any size or speedbreakers.It wanders a bit bit suv's are not all about handling so she hates quick inputs.Brakes feel sharper now but any current safari owners will be able to tell the exact difference.

My opinion-
With all major concerns covered up for me this is the perfect SUV for me at this price.i wish if 4X4 was available in lx.there are still quality concerns in every piece like the display vehicle had very notchy engine lift lever.The TD vehicle was leaking of fluids and reverse gear had some problem.But these are minor niggles that can be covered under warranty.

The minor increase in price for EX and VX and very minor for LX makes her very good value lets see what mahindra is cooking for us.

(SORRY-for not taking any pics as i was not carrying the camera and i dont keep a camera cellphone)

Today me and my friend (Amritpal Singh Grewal) got a chance to rip safari 2.2

and also shot some pictures of engine bay.i shot pics of engine bay only as rest all have seen.

first of all 2.2L VTT DICOR
First the good part.
Engine is smoooooooooooth:). vibrations are low. nothing much left to complaint about in this department. i felt engine is more refined even than innova's (which becomes harsh above 3500 rpm). those who are looking for stress free driving (which was kind of weak point) will surely be happy. you can comfortably cruise at 1500 in 5th.
Now the bad one.
i feel 2.2 is overrated. power delivery was good but 3L owners won't find much difference. Fun factor of 2.2L is nowhere near 3L. pull of 2.2L in 4th and 5th is not as good as of 3L. 3L is like bullet 350 and 2.2L is like electra.
it has it own charm. i was able to peak at 150+ but above 100 3L rules, no completion. 2.2L loves to be revved and sounds nice.
if you feel like i'm lying first drive 2.2L and then a 3L, you'll know the difference.Turbo comes from Garrett.:Shockked:

clutch is now softer and gears slots in properly and smoothly. no complaints here. breaks are same but got more linearity.

Body Roll
Weight reduction has clearly shown its effect. now roll is much reduced.
no mods to suspension. car was rock solid even at 150. big roller below differential are not connected to anything. they are to protect differential. tyres are now 245 tubeless and there is a 10 mm increase in ground clearance.

Looks
major change includes front grill and bumper grill.
No modifications have been made to front bumper. bumper grill is painted to look like a part of bumper. Rear cover won't accommodate wider tyres.

Interiors
dash is now of dark brown color and rest is beige. fit and finish remains the same no changes just OK and dials have been given indica like treatment.
to my surprise no modifications to jump seats but rear seat is pushed little bit forward and moreover wood finish on VX is just OK. defogger wires are colored beige from inside.
no changed to equipment level and so called express down should have been express Up and follow me home lights turn off like dome lights.

Price

i was not able to confirm this one.

i will get myself a box and stick to 3L.

Nice review, any idea about the prices across the variants.

Like I expected, the "there is no replacement for displacement" phenomenon has played its part and proved that numbers don't matter much in the real world.

Why did U post a picture of the fuse box?

And I notice an ABS module in the pics. How did the brakes feel?

Terrific that - I cant wait for Dr. K's inter-city test drive now!!!

INTERESTING airbox there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by overdose14 (Post 585714)
Turbo comes from Garrett.:Shockked:

I thought Honeywell made the Turbo.

Quote:

big roller below differential are not connected to anything. they are to protect differential.

Thought so!!!

Quote:

Rear cover won't accommodate wider tyres.

Liking this 'radically designed' thing even less now :mad:

Quote:

i will get myself a box and stick to 3L.

Thats two down for the Italian Job, now !

Thats good first impression, Safari is known for its perfect comfort beast for the price it packed with. It has its own issues TATA has to go long way to sort it out. People buy this beast which ideal for typical Indian bad roads and ability of offroading and great SUV looks. It can be compared with 20 lacs SUVs.

I wish in 1 year downtheline TATA sort out all issues of Safari.

Regards,

Ravi.

Its raining test drives here !!!!:Shockked:

Here is the list of pics with me.
click on thumbnails to enlarge.

Moral of the Story:- There is "No replacement for displacement". The 3L Safari will be missed. :Frustrati

hehe nice man.. i just ripped the car yesterday night as soon as they arrived the dealership. The best thing is engine and the torque @1700 RPM... feels so good to drive. Cant compare much with the 3.0 as i have driven it once or twice only but refinement is sure better than 3.0.

Overall its just like 3.0 safari ppl wont feel much difference except for the refinement and some extra power with VTT hehe..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 585755)

I thought Honeywell made the Turbo

Yes. Honeywell makes it. Honeywell is the maker of Garret turbos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarySkulls (Post 585862)
Yes. Honeywell makes it. Honeywell is the maker of Garret turbos.

Thanks. I didnt know that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 585756)
I wish in 1 year downtheline TATA sort out all issues of Safari.

I dont think tata can ever make a good gearbox ,how about outsourcing this weak link?

Quote:

Today me and my friend (Amritpal Singh Grewal) got a chance to rip safari 2.2

Fun factor of 2.2L is nowhere near 3L. pull of 2.2L in 4th and 5th is not as good as of 3L.

What do you mean? not torquey enough?

Quote:

3L is like bullet 350 and 2.2L is like electra.
you mean 3L is like a STD Bullet 350 and 2.2L like Thunderbird?

Quote:

it has it own charm. i was able to peak at 150+ but above 100 3L rules, no completion.
what do you mean by 3L rules above 100? Is it the way she pulls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 585963)
What do you mean? not torquey enough?

Yes. That is exactly what that means. It is like driving a Pulsar 220 after Karizma. Definitely more faster but doesnt feel so. No fun factor.

Quote:

you mean 3L is like a STD Bullet 350 and 2.2L like Thunderbird?

I think Overdose did a typo here. 3L is like the Bullet500 and 2.2L like the thunderbird. Thunderbird has better smoothness and delivers more fuel economy. Is faster in straightline also.

But is it as much fun to drive? NO

Does it feel faster? NO

Does it have a too much linear power delivery for it's own good? YES

Has TATA deliberately limited the engine's potential for the first production run...?? (ala the 3.0L DICOR??) DEFINITELY SEEMS SO.

Quote:

what do you mean by 3L rules above 100? Is it the way she pulls?

Yes.

Thats right Anshuman I felt the same! With new interiors Safari will attract professionals too I feel who expect vehicle with beige interiors.

Its good vehicle except for its niggles.

One thing I noticed now a days many politicians are using Innova rather than Safari. May be its because of minor niggling issues Safari had in the past. I hope new Safari 2.2 should attract them.

Regards,

Ravi.