Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2006, 17:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Mine is a BSIII this fig is not from manual...from a brochure I was handed once
Yep .. I just had a look at the new flyer. It's a 1 page thingy they gave me in December which mentions the 'new' features and also had me confused regarding the power ratings - it says.
Max Torque : 130.5 Nm@3000rpm
Max Power : 91 bhp@5500rpm
Max Speed : 175km/hr
So, the beast has been tamed somewhat ?
Old 31st January 2006, 17:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

This leaflet came pretty recently... slight drop in the performance is most likely due to EIII compliance. But then EIII baleno has been around for an year now, so some owners were unhappy about this discrepancy. I remember people were talking about making an official query to MUL regarding this, did anybody get more information?

all said and done, changes in specs can be termed negligible at the best, may not be even noticeable
Old 31st January 2006, 18:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

The new specs are 91 ps, not even 91 bhp. Thats about 90.5 or less bhp. Which is less than the old Ikon 1.6. The older Balenos are a true 94 bhp, whatever true means...
Old 31st January 2006, 18:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
The new specs are 91 ps, not even 91 bhp. Thats about 90.5 or less bhp.
Well to be precise, the text in the flyer reads:

Max. power output PS 91bhp@5500 rpm
Go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
I remember people were talking about making an official query to MUL regarding this, did anybody get more information?
I had sent a mail to MUL to the address at their site, enquiring about the new features. I got a reply within 2 days. Encouraged by their response, I asked them to clarify the change in engine specs. I've been waiting for a month now .. silence !
Old 1st February 2006, 10:43   #35
BHPian

Right from the beginning, MUL has been specifying a top speed of 175kph irrespective of the engine tuning for environmental norms. Besides the change in power/torque ratings, the weight too has increased by 10 kg. But I think the very slight loss in performance (which may barely be noticeable) corresponding to improved environment friendliness is worth it.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:10   #36
SLK
Senior - BHPian

their website and brochure still read..... 94bhp@6000rpm.
say even if its ... 90.5bhp@5500rpm... it should not affect the top speed!... as it is normally achieved below 5500rpm!... at that point the power would be same.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:19   #37
BHPian

MUL always seems to specify the top speed like the true speed of the car and not the speedo reading.

In Esteem ,Swift and the Baleno if you stretch the car you will easily reach a higher top speed than those mentioned by MUL. Also the In-gear top speeds will be higher than those in MUL brochures. All these speeds are those seen on the speedo.

Quote:
Besides the change in power/torque ratings, the weight too has increased by 10 kg
Weight has only increased for the Vxi and not the Lxi.
The Euro-III baleno is also slightly more FE than it's Euro-II counterpart.

Last edited by imjimmy : 1st February 2006 at 15:21.
Old 1st February 2006, 16:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
the weight too has increased by 10 kg.
Come to think of it .. why has it changed ?
14" alloys + tyres adding on 10kgs ?? Boils down to 2 extra kilos for each wheel/tyre .. possible ... other than that all else is same ..
Old 1st February 2006, 17:29   #39
BHPian

Maruti baleno vxi

Hi All,
whatever may be the review of the test drive, According to me baleno Vxi is not worth buying.. but Lxi is...

Regards,

Turbofreak
Old 1st February 2006, 18:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreak
Hi All,
whatever may be the review of the test drive, According to me baleno Vxi is not worth buying.. but Lxi is...
Actually it boils down to what one wants from the car.

To me it was worth buying the VXi ...
Features I wanted
Climate Control
14" Alloys (it helps that I like the OEM alloys)
185/65 rubber (it helps that they are Goodyear Eagle NCT5's)
Basic MP3 Audio
Remote entry/burglar alarm
Rear Demister
Driver seat height adjuster
Spoiler (I kinda like it)
The silver centre console

Convenience
I'm too lazy and hence wanted a ready car from the factory. Getting a factory ready car meant there was no need to tamper with the wiring etc for installing audio & keyless entry. Unfortunately I do not know of any reliable aftermarket mod shop.

Price
Had I taken the LXi, I would have added
MP3 Audio HU + Speakers - 13 K
14" alloys and same rubber for 27K
Remote entry/Burglar Alarm - 7K
OEM Spoiler - 14K (MGA)
Silver centre console - 1.7K (MGA)

That totals ~ 62K
Difference between LXi and VXi quotes given to me ~ 82K

So my net saving would have been ~20K and I still would not have had the climate control , demister, height adjustable seat. Other little thingies missing ... leather steering cover, power antenna.

Didn't make sense to me to go for the LXi

Last edited by shuvc : 1st February 2006 at 18:19.
Old 1st February 2006, 19:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
14" alloys + tyres adding on 10kgs ?? Boils down to 2 extra kilos for each wheel/tyre .. possible ... other than that all else is same ..
Add 2kg of spoiler to that.
Old 1st February 2006, 21:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Actually it boils down to what one wants from the car.
To me it was worth buying the VXi ...
......Difference between LXi and VXi quotes given to me ~ 82K
So my net saving would have been ~20K and I still would not have had the climate control , demister, height adjustable seat. Other little thingies missing ... leather steering cover, power antenna.
Didn't make sense to me to go for the LXi
I agree with Shuvc. In my case the difference between the Lxi and Vxi quotes was 45K. There was a massive discount on the Vxi because the "new" Baleno supposed to come out, and even the dealers were confused what it would do to their stocks of the "old" Baleno!

Thanks to this forum I got info that the changes were not going to be substantial, and cashed in. Managed to also get the dealer to throw in a Pioneer 4750 HU and PU seats. I was happy not to have massive mods done to my new car, and I feel great at the right choice I made.

Perhaps what I may add are a s/woofer.... everything else is stock!

On another note, has anyone tried to uncover the carpeting from the rear speakers on the Vxi, and does it make a diff. to the sound?
Old 1st February 2006, 23:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreak
Hi All,
You could say that until Oct 2005 when Vxi came with cassette player and 13 inch alloys on the skinny tyres. Now Vxi does make a case for that extra money you pay with climate control, thicker tyres, MP3 player, etc.
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
The new specs are 91 ps, not even 91 bhp. Thats about 90.5 or less bhp. Which is less than the old Ikon 1.6. The older Balenos are a true 94 bhp, whatever true means...
does not make much difference though...I have the BSIII and my friend the BS II...I have still realised that he cannot catch up with me easily..(in fact cannot catch up in spirited driving) .and we are talking about straight sections here...
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you get to see an BsII Baleno.look at the Engine exhaust manifold too...it is very different in BsII and BS III....the BS III has a much bigger protrusion compared to the BS II ..to make that you require more steel and hence more weight I guess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks